Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to get some help for some young high school future game programmers

enaz13enaz13 Member UncommonPosts: 102

If anyone don't mind sparing a few dollars please check out these guys on kickstarter.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1531207834/fight-club-games

They are trying to raise money so they can buy adobe flash to build their first game. If you have a few minutes consider checking it out and helping out these future game makers. You never know, they may make a game you will love in another 10 years and you could help them get there start.

Comments

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    This is an example why copy rights shouldn't exist.

If anything adobe should allow to take it for under a contract as a creditor to eventually get some revenue pocketed for themselves.

When copyright interferes with progress in science, medicines and people being productive I believe the idea of copyrights should be ignored.

Imagine all the game developers being able to use whatever engine they pleased, and it not affecting them negatively and also how this can benefit games and drivers for those video games by having better coding for both and allowing for a more net benefit.

Copyright in programming is a way to just make money from something that does not even exist in the virtual world until you make a copy of it. It only costs money to develop but not to have stored in warehouses or buying inventory to make it... Other than the pcs to do the programming.

There is of course OS, but they have anti piracy measures, and updates. Also by supporting programs that do need money it encourages more development, but copyright should not be the result of developers being able to profit from an intangible product. Copyright is evil.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Incomparable

If anything adobe should allow to take it for under a contract as a creditor to eventually get some revenue pocketed for themselves.

When copyright interferes with progress in science, medicines and people being productive I believe the idea of copyrights should be ignored.

Imagine all the game developers being able to use whatever engine they pleased, and it not affecting them negatively and also how this can benefit games and drivers for those video games by having better coding for both and allowing for a more net benefit.

Copyright in programming is a way to just make money from something that does not even exist in the virtual world until you make a copy of it. It only costs money to develop but not to have stored in warehouses or buying inventory to make it... Other than the pcs to do the programming.

There is of course OS, but they have anti piracy measures, and updates. Also by supporting programs that do need money it encourages more development, but copyright should not be the result of developers being able to profit from an intangible product. Copyright is evil.

I don't see the problem. Adobe build products to aid in the development of art.
    They should get payed for their time and man power building said programs just the same as the developers in the original post hope to gain revenue from eventually selling their game.

Or should everything be free by asking humans to donate thousands of hours of their life for no payment?

In this case, Maybe they should contact adobe and see if they offer anything like what Microsoft does with their "Dream Spark" program offering discounts on software for students. However, They are trying to develop programs for commercial sale so this might invalidate any such licence for educational purposes.

Bottom line here, If you haven't even got enough initial funds to buy the software required, And or cannot provide a small working demo/Proof of concept for kick starter, then you should not be on it yet imo. Even as students there is no reason they could not work part time or save what ever money the could without having to look for other people to take their risk and ask for handouts.

I know the scope of their project is small, But still $200 is not hard to generate for a working person.

which begs the question of why they cant generate this money over and extended period time.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Incomparable

I don't see the problem. Adobe build products to aid in the development of art.
    They should get payed for their time and man power building said programs just the same as the developers in the original post hope to gain revenue from eventually selling their game.

Or should everything be free by asking humans to donate thousands of hours of their life for no payment?

In this case, Maybe they should contact adobe and see if they offer anything like what Microsoft does with their "Dream Spark" program offering discounts on software for students. However, They are trying to develop programs for commercial sale so this might invalidate any such licence for educational purposes.

Bottom line here, If you haven't even got enough initial funds to buy the software required, And or cannot provide a small working demo/Proof of concept for kick starter, then you should not be on it yet imo. Even as students there is no reason they could not work part time or save what ever money the could without having to look for other people to take their risk and ask for handouts.

I know the scope of their project is small, But still $200 is not hard to generate for a working person.

which begs the question of why they cant generate this money over and extended period time.

^^^THIS^^^^

Rather than go out and Mow Lawns, weed gardens and do odd jobs- They want to have a Kickstarter and just be given the money... If I had a dream, I would work for it- Knock on doors, shovel snow, etc...

In fact, My first Nintendo (the NES) was paid for by Shoveling Snow one winter... Times are a changing...

-On a side note, I have never in my adult life had some kids knock on my door offering to do odd jobs for cash. This was something we did (most I knew) all the time during the early 1980s as kids. Even just to make a few bucks for a Movie or Mcdonalds.

EDIT: If its their "dream" I am sure a months worth of odd jobs should easily get them the money they need to start this "dream"- If its not important enough to work for, and the "dream" only happens if the supplies are GIVEN- Well, it wasnt a very important "dream" to begin with anyhow.

EDIT 2- Just noticed these were HIGH SCHOOL 'kids'- Hell NO. Get a job... I thought these were 'kids'. A couple Hundred Dollars should be nothing for a group of high School aged kids to come up with- Unbelievable-

• CranktrainCranktrain Member Posts: 25
    Yeah, this Kickstarter just sounds like begging. The idea that you need $200 to learn or get started is ridiculous, most Flash developers don't use Adobe Flash, they use Flash Develop, which is absolutely free. I mean, I'm pleased to see they're not pirating the heck out of the software, but it is easier than ever to get started with game development.

• enaz13enaz13 Member UncommonPosts: 102

Well the way I see it is they will be working for the money. They will be programming and doing art using flash. In fact they will likely put in many more hours of working on this then they would just mowing lawns and doing busy work. And I would say the skills they learn from working on this project are a lot more valuable than just mowing some lawns and odd jobs.

Also the format/language they are starting on also is pretty much irrelevant. When you’re starting to program you just need to start to understand how things work. The general idea is if you can master one language it’s relatively easy to learn others. And from experience flash/AS3 is not a bad scripting language to start with.

I understand some people believe they have other avenues they should try to use for getting the money. But I like they tried something different, they have showed they have been working and trying to learn programming. And I see this as an opportunity to help some kids get started on a path to make games someday.

They are over halfway to their goal now. For me I didn’t mind donating a few dollars to help some kids that least are least showing some passion for gaming, not just playing them, but in learning how to make them. So I say at least check it out and see what you think.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1531207834/fight-club-games

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    If they were really serious about getting into game development, they should start with something like C++ or Javascript.

You make me like charity

• enaz13enaz13 Member UncommonPosts: 102

I agree C++ especially in particular is more geared towards gaming. But I would say it's easier to start with a language like actionscript or possibly VB. And once you get the basics down you can start to tackle the more complex and more powerful languages.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    If they were really serious about getting into game development, they should start with something like C++ or Javascript.

The corollary with cars would be this:

"If they were really serious about getting into building cars, they (would) start with something like building a Ferrari starting from self-smelted steel or drawing a picture of a Ferrari."

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by enaz13

I agree C++ especially in particular is more geared towards gaming. But I would say it's easier to start with a language like actionscript or possibly VB. And once you get the basics down you can start to tackle the more complex and more powerful languages.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from VB.  Use that time to learn C / C++.

This quote always makes me laugh...

"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."  -- Edsger Dijkstra

I had to learn VB to port an application to Java.  It was painful experience.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Want something easier than c++? You coiuld try c#. Doesnt that have the xna framework for fraphics n stuff?

Never tried it but i heard it was so much easier to use than c++.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Castillle
    Want something easier than c++? You coiuld try c#. Doesnt that have the xna framework for fraphics n stuff?

Never tried it but i heard it was so much easier to use than c++.

I've been playing around with XNA for a few days and I think it's pretty nice.  And that's coming from somebody who is very critical of Microsoft.  It gets rid of a lot of the boilerplate windows API code you have to deal with if you used C++.

I probably wouldn't use it for a production quality game but for a hobbyist it's fine.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville