Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ok can somebody explain the connection in gameplay between Eve and Dust?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Ok can somebody explain the connection in gameplay between Eve and Dust?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Dust will be EvE's ground forces in taking over planets I think.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I would like a definitive answer but from what I have picked up, EvE will hire Dust troops to take planets so they can control the resource and sell Dust goods and provide air strikes.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

CCP has been talking about this for years now. This is what I understand about EvE and DUST514...

Players of EvE (some) have wanted the ability to land on planets and play the game there as well as in space.... Devs said the PC wasn't quite the right way to do it.....

Players of Console game FPS's saw the EvE Universe and their mouths watered.... they loved the idea of EvE and wanted to play there... but Consoles and PCs have trouble running exact same game together...

Some of the CCP Staff also were Console Gamers as well as PC Gamers and saw a marvelous opportunity...

EvE Players will soon be able to "hire" Console Gamers to play as Combat Soldiers to take and hold territories on Planets through ground (planetary) combat. This gives Console Gamers the "EvE Experience" they have desired for years and it gives EvE Pod Pilot Players the opportunity to not only control space, but also the Planets themselves in a very practical way.

Now when a Corp invades a system to take it not only will there be a fleet operation, but also a planet landfall and occupation operation. Controlling a Region will now require Space and Terrestrial control strategies to really claim a Region.

Think of it as something akin to how human society "works" in movies such as the Alien series and Avatar. Corporations are the true Powers and Combat Forces are Mercs hired by the Corps to enforce and defend the will of the Corps in addtion to the Space Fleets.

Space Fleets: PC. / Ground Forces: Console

More Players, more options, more combat, more fun for Players overall, More money for CCP.

Everyone Wins (that's the plan anyways).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

EvE Players will soon be able to "hire" Console Gamers to play as Combat Soldiers to take and hold territories on Planets through gorund (planetary) combat. This gives Console Gamers the "EvE Experience" they have desired for years and it gives EvE Pod Pilot Players the opportunity to not only control space, but also the Planets themselves in a very practical way.

I very much doubt that many console gamers know or care about Eve.

Originally posted by Yamota

EvE Players will soon be able to "hire" Console Gamers to play as Combat Soldiers to take and hold territories on Planets through gorund (planetary) combat. This gives Console Gamers the "EvE Experience" they have desired for years and it gives EvE Pod Pilot Players the opportunity to not only control space, but also the Planets themselves in a very practical way.

Perhaps, but some did.

I played EvE years ago, and I remember the posts on the EvE forums back then asking for EvE to be ported to Console, and for PC Players to be able to land and control planets thru ground combat. All suggestions at the time. CCP came up with the DUST514 idea years ago in response to all that.

Whether or not this will work, and whether it will be a good business venture, is yet to be seen.

*edited for spelling

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Perhaps, but some did.

I played EvE years ago, and I remember the posts on the EvE forums back then asking for EvE to be ported to Console, and for PC Players to be able to land and control planets thru ground combat. All suggestions at the time. CCP came up with the DUST514 idea years ago in response to all that.

Whether or not this will work, and whether it will be a good business venture, is yet to be seen.

*edited for spelling

Console gamers are tradtionally casual players in the sense that they play a few hours here and there and want games with alot of action. Games with progression like RPGs and slow paced like strategy games are tradtitionally on PC, True that FPS games have started more and more to move to consoles but still if we are talking about Eve, I have not seen any signs that console gamers are interested in such a title.

What boggles my mind is that Eve is for PC games, yet CCP is not releasing a PC client. That is a huge misstake which will come back and bite them on their ass.

Perhaps, but some did.

*edited for spelling

Console gamers are tradtionally casual players in the sense that they play a few hours here and there and want games with alot of action. Games with progression like RPGs and slow paced like strategy games are tradtitionally on PC, True that FPS games have started more and more to move to consoles but still if we are talking about Eve, I have not seen any signs that console gamers are interested in such a title.

What boggles my mind is that Eve is for PC games, yet CCP is not releasing a PC client. That is a huge misstake which will come back and bite them on their ass.

Maybe, maybe not.

I am not console Gamer myself... I hate console gaming in general.... not the equipment but the "system" of how the companies screw the Gamers (imho). I also don't get along with many Console Gamers themselves... call it a "personality clash". I am a tried and true PC Gamer all the way and proud of it..... So I am not waving pomp-pomps for this lightly.

However... now that I have put a big bullseye on my shirt for the Console Gamers to aim at I will say this... I think DUST514 being put on console is actually a great idea. Any EvE inspired ground combat game I think would play "best" on a console gaming platform. DUST514 is a FPS and developers have built Console Gaming Systems for FPS Games mostly.

Just my opinion, so I guess we shall see.

(Note: I quit playing EvE years ago after Barges were introduced and I watched my "niche" in the EvE Universe evaporate and be taken over by the Bots. I was a Miner, and I loved my profession, but no mere human MMO Gamer can compete with a Bot.... so I am not happy with CCP. However... I do think DUST514 is a good idea, and I think EvE Players in general will enjoy this content being added to EvE. I still care about EvE and it's Players. )

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i've tried Dust and let me tell you: CCP shot themselves in the foot making this a PS3 exclusive. it should have been a free PC shooter.

the game itself is average at best, but the sad part is that PS3 players won't give a hoot about the fact that it's connected to a hard core, sanbox, space mmo. they will only see it as a mediocre free shooter with a cash shop, and some OP squads that ruin everything every time they call in an Air strikes from some "other game".

the only people that would actually give a damn about Dust are PC EvE players, and they won't buy a PS3 just to play this. PS3 players wont buy EvE just so they can call air strikes in their Dust matches....

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Perhaps, but some did.

*edited for spelling

Could not agree more, there is already talk of our corp pulling the plug as they not supporting PC with this and us PC gamers are not buying the poor console to play it end of. Console has always been directed at the younger end of the market, that's not to say that adults dont play on them as many do. But the fact is that you cannot tie these two together and they should of just made it console for both space and land and the same for PC if they wanted it on a console that bad.

IMO it's a fail as I have been playing Eve since 07/05/2003 and this is the thanks for my loyalty. The other thing which is annoying the hell out of me is it's my monthly payments which have been used to develop this crazy idea. CCP have had it good up to now, but I sure they will feel the pain once it goes live.

Bandit

Asbo

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i've tried Dust and let me tell you: CCP shot themselves in the foot making this a PS3 exclusive. it should have been a free PC shooter.

the game itself is average at best, but the sad part is that PS3 players won't give a hoot about the fact that it's connected to a hard core, sanbox, space mmo. they will only see it as a mediocre free shooter with a cash shop, and some OP squads that ruin everything every time they call in an Air strikes from some "other game".

the only people that would actually give a damn about Dust are PC EvE players, and they won't buy a PS3 just to play this. PS3 players wont buy EvE just so they can call air strikes in their Dust matches....

MAG fans and Resistance fans have reason to play Dust. Dust has the Same gameplay as many MAG modes. That, along side being free, is the reason for ps3 players to check the game out, and actually learn about Eve and may sub to the game. 

Otherwise these players WOUKD continue to go about playing games and never know what eve is to sub to. To them Eve is a chick from the bible.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

As an EVE player I can confirm (at least for myself) that you are spot on with your last paragraph.

I love the idea of landing on a planet and do combat there with the avatar (although this has absolutely nothing to do with anything in EVE at all), but only if that was possible from within the EVE game itself. Even if it was on the PC, but required a different program to be launched next to EVE, then my interest would already fade.

But indeed, not going to buy a PS3. Ever.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Here's a link to the connection from the EVE side: http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/EVE-Dust_514_Link_FAQ

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The only console gamers who were "mouth watering" for EVE are already playing EVE. The decision to put all this effort into dust is likely going to end up in a console game that no one really cares about.  It should have been done on the PC if they couldn't make it part of the base game.  As someone who's waiting for this game to eventually expand into a WiS gameplay, I find the entire idea of DUST on consoles to be ludicrous.  And I'm a big fan of CCP.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    what's the point of going through the trouble of an orbital strike in these pathetic little 15 minute matches, this game is baffling.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The only console gamers who were "mouth watering" for EVE are already playing EVE. The decision to put all this effort into dust is likely going to end up in a console game that no one really cares about.  It should have been done on the PC if they couldn't make it part of the base game.  As someone who's waiting for this game to eventually expand into a WiS gameplay, I find the entire idea of DUST on consoles to be ludicrous.  And I'm a big fan of CCP.

I agree with you entirely.

Originally posted by NightBandit

Perhaps, but some did.

*edited for spelling

Could not agree more, there is already talk of our corp pulling the plug as they not supporting PC with this and us PC gamers are not buying the poor console to play it end of. Console has always been directed at the younger end of the market, that's not to say that adults dont play on them as many do. But the fact is that you cannot tie these two together and they should of just made it console for both space and land and the same for PC if they wanted it on a console that bad.

IMO it's a fail as I have been playing Eve since 07/05/2003 and this is the thanks for my loyalty. The other thing which is annoying the hell out of me is it's my monthly payments which have been used to develop this crazy idea. CCP have had it good up to now, but I sure they will feel the pain once it goes live.

Bandit

Me too. I've been playing Eve for years with the understanding that CCP wanted to create a Sci Fi world within Eve Online.

Looking at DUST gameplay - it's nothing special. The original concept would have been better.

It would have been good to leave your ship to explore a derelict space station - eliminating drones and salvaging. It would have been better than DUST probably.

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
      other thing which is annoying the hell out of me is it's my monthly payments which have been used to develop this crazy idea. CCP have had it good up to now, but I sure they will feel the pain once it goes live.

Bandit

Your monthly payments provide you access to EvE, if you want a say in how the money is invested buy shares in CCP, if you do that however, you might find yourself pleased that they are trying to diversify their income streams.

I don't get all these threats to quit, just do it, words are nothing, actions count. 

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

Originally posted by ObiClownobi
      other thing which is annoying the hell out of me is it's my monthly payments which have been used to develop this crazy idea. CCP have had it good up to now, but I sure they will feel the pain once it goes live.

Bandit

Your monthly payments provide you access to EvE, if you want a say in how the money is invested buy shares in CCP, if you do that however, you might find yourself pleased that they are trying to diversify their income streams.

I don't get all these threats to quit, just do it, words are nothing, actions count. 

The only way of getting CCP to change direction is through forums and the player council.