Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Shakymo

The comparisons between PS2 and EQN are strictly based on the graphics, lighting and physics that are in the Forgelight engine. You can find a video of Smed going down the list of features in FL.

I think you are spot on, other than the engine there probably won't be much in common between PS2 and EQN.

from purely an efficiency perspective i would expect every possible asset to be utilized in both games since they are being designed concurrently on the same engine by the same studio. That only makes sense.

that does not mean that in any way they will look or play the same.

I do believe that territory control will be the theme of both games, but planetside 2 will be purely pvp and EQN might be PVE (pvp servers as well) or some combination.

They have said time and again that the gameplay will be different than any other mmo, and territory control is the next logical step in the evolution of the mmo. It makes sense to because planetside 2 has a ton of these capabilities already.

youll get your raids alright, but they will be on crushbone with 1000 of your best friends.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Originally posted by Neherun

But I bet there are open world bosses, the question is, will carebears (If someone frowned at this word, please refer to page 68-70, I've posted a carebear's term there, read it through and through) cause a shit storm if SoE attempts to incorporate raiding with open world and PvP, especially if they implement death penalties? Naturally, its most likely that SoE will create seperate servers for PvE and PvP, so I am asking this in regards on PvP servers.

I wouldn't mind that but EQ had that at the beginning, EQ was open world raiding, the instances were a result of guilds griefing others. Guilds stayed up all night to make sure they got the spawn and grief'd others. Smedley tends to say a lot fo stuff, but he's not the main designer of the project, while open world bosses are nice, they caused issues in the past and that's why practically all raiding became instanced.

By grief, do you mean that guilds killed other guilds in order to get themselves the raid that spawned, or guilds assaulting the guild thats doing the boss? That's not griefing, its about taking possession of the spawn. If you can't keep the spawn to yourself, you don't deserve it. Simple.

But I bet there are open world bosses, the question is, will carebears (If someone frowned at this word, please refer to page 68-70, I've posted a carebear's term there, read it through and through) cause a shit storm if SoE attempts to incorporate raiding with open world and PvP, especially if they implement death penalties? Naturally, its most likely that SoE will create seperate servers for PvE and PvP, so I am asking this in regards on PvP servers.

I wouldn't mind that but EQ had that at the beginning, EQ was open world raiding, the instances were a result of guilds griefing others. Guilds stayed up all night to make sure they got the spawn and grief'd others. Smedley tends to say a lot fo stuff, but he's not the main designer of the project, while open world bosses are nice, they caused issues in the past and that's why practically all raiding became instanced.

By grief, do you mean that guilds killed other guilds in order to get themselves the raid that spawned, or guilds assaulting the guild thats doing the boss? That's not griefing, its about taking possession of the spawn. If you can't keep the spawn to yourself, you don't deserve it. Simple.

open world raiding is when the monster of doom comes to your town and starts eating your merchants.

What shes talking about is non instanced raiding where guilds would compete to get the mob. Guilds would kill mobs whether they needed them or not to prevent other guilds from progressing. Thus instancing.

Oh the insanity of it all. Greifing is defined as interacting with a person in a way they dont approve of.

on a pvp server they call it gameplay.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by rungard

open world raiding is when the monster of doom comes to your town and starts eating your merchants.

What shes talking about is non instanced raiding where guilds would compete to get the mob. Guilds would kill mobs whether they needed them or not to prevent other guilds from progressing. Thus instancing.

Oh the insanity of it all. Greifing is defined as interacting with a person in a way they dont approve of.

That clarifies me as a griefer, a major one. I'm surprised I haven't been sued. The best time I had was to infiltrate other guilds, working my way up to a level where they give me access to their resources, only to "deny" them of them, so whoever hired me could call in a siege knowing the enemy had clear disadvantage.

That clarifies me as a griefer, a major one. I'm surprised I haven't been sued. The best time I had was to infiltrate other guilds, working my way up to a level where they give me access to their resources, only to "deny" them of them, so whoever hired me could call in a siege knowing the enemy had clear disadvantage.

ya you want to make sure that that playstyle is supported by the game. I would imagine that few would, maybe darkfall or other FFa games might, and even then thats the kind of think you probbabally only get away with once unless you have multiple accounts.

i have my doubts that kind of play will be tolerated well in an eq game to be honest with you no matter how they set it up.  

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by pvpirl

Paying attention to EQ2 new mechanics and content as well as planetside 2 will provide the best window into what we can see in EQN. Anything else is pure speculation.

I agree, I like the sounds of the propaganda coming out of SOE but if I start hearing shyte like porting elements of the game onto smark devices so you can play it like farmville I am freaking out of 'ere. If that is there marketing plan over nurturing a pure in game community with a complex and deep rpg gameI will be greatly upset. SOE will be dead to me ... again. Right now I consider them more of a walking zombie until proven otherwise.

You stay sassy!

Originally posted by Tamanous

Paying attention to EQ2 new mechanics and content as well as planetside 2 will provide the best window into what we can see in EQN. Anything else is pure speculation.

I agree, I like the sounds of the propaganda coming out of SOE but if I start hearing shyte like porting elements of the game onto smark devices so you can play it like farmville I am freaking out of 'ere. If that is there marketing plan over nurturing a pure in game community with a complex and deep rpg gameI will be greatly upset. SOE will be dead to me ... again. Right now I consider them more of a walking zombie until proven otherwise.

on a side note apparently you will be able to make a call to your "Team" over a cell phone and talk/hear like you were using the voip in the game. 

i think they will have an app for it or something, and i also think youll be able to access your character and the territory map via an app. That would actually not be too bad if you could respec and modify your character without having to be directly in the game.

havent heard anything else as far as an app is concerned.

i actually think it will have alot more in common with planetside than people think. Territory control is the next level of pvp/pve combat and i think well actually see the first ever pve territory control game in a full 3d world.

like they say..there would be no other mmo like it.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

I think if this thread breaks 1k posts we rate forums.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

I think people expecting SWG2 will be disappointed as SWG was a specific type of world simulator closer to Second Life than Everquest. Games like Everquest tried to replicate the old fashion D&D campaign in video game form. This is what originally made Everquest and MUDS before it popular.  Modern MMORPGs have strayed away from trying to simulate that type of game and turned them into single player games in a semi-open world. I think expecting EQ Next to be SWG2, or Eve in Norrath, or any number of these long list of sandbox games does a disservice to what Everquest set out to do. There are a lot of sandbox systems that can enhance the Everquest type game and it would still be Everquest, it just wouldn't be Second Life in Norrath,

here are some thought i had about the way everquest  next will be setup.

here are my theories:

1) the game will be based primarily around worldbuilding and territory control. The territory control will be pve based, not pvp based like planetside.

Each race will have a mortal enemy and a warfront. The wood elves from kelethin will have a warfront with the orks of crushbone. This means that "greater Faydark" will be a giant warzone measuring 8km by 8 km (like planetside maps). If left unchecked the orks will invade and take over kelethin. It will be up to the players to defend against against the orks and build structures and defences to make this happen. All the main racial cities of eq will be set up this way.

Adjacent zones like lesser faydark will be designated wilderness areas and will feature outposts. Outposts are defensive setups against lesser threats such as castle mistmoor, though in wilderness areas there may be multiple enemy threats and outposts will be mixed. For instance the gnomes might have an outpost in lesser faydark, but so might the high elves and wood elves. Wood elves would be battling the dreaded brownies, highelves would be battling mistmoor. A lesser but more varied version of the warfront.

All areas will have resources that can only be harvested if the area is controlled by the players. While raids will exist, they will not be the same as previous incarnations.

Raid mobs will be inside the 64km square area in their designated areas but they will be allowed to move throughout the area causing chaos and destruction. Emporer crush and his entorage would be an example of this. They might be in Crushbone, but he might not be. He will be somewhere in greater faydark in the warzone area. All raid mobs will behave this way. There will be no instances and no set timers. Raid mobs will also not yeild phat l33t. Instead if you kill the raid mob for a given warfront you "end the battle", which gives players access to gain resources from the warzones final area. It will be very difficult to maintain control over the final areas for long but cities such as kelethin will stay under ork control until they are taken back.

this game of shifting war will be known as the metagame. You will not have to fight all the time but you can lead offensives and mobs can also lead offensives.

2) the secondary game will be a faction based game. You will be able to advance within factions in the game to gain ranks and access whatever the faction has to offer. You will be able to participate in as many factions as you wish as long as they are not opposed to eachother. Factions affect other factions. To be liked in one is to be hated in another.

3) the game will be massive on exploring and will have a "random encounter" engine that will create dynamic content on the fly. There will be no static spawns anywhere outside of guardposts, though they were spawn from barracks and move to their designated point. There will be many many many smaller dungeons designed for a smaller group of andventuers littered around the lands.

4) There will be less reliance on phat l33t and more to your characters "loadout" you will be able to equip your character in many ways with many many different options and all will have inherant advantages and disadvantages. You may have to unlock many of these before you can take advantage of all the options to set up your character.

5) classes will be viewed more like jobs, and you will be able to participate in a number of similar themed jobs.

The jobs you will be alowed to simultanously access are deterimed by your race and alignment. If you were a "good aligned wood elf", you cannot be a necromancer or shadowknight, similarly if you were a neutral character you could not be a paladin. There would be a unique setup for all racial and deity/alignment combinations. No one could be it all. Additionally each race is attuned to certain classes so they get advancement bonuses for certain classes. I.e woodelves get a bonus for druid and ranger. Humans wouldnt get any bonuses or deficiencies.

unlike previous eq games you class would only account for a quarter of your overall abilities. There will be more focus on your race, and deity and accessory lines such as survival which can be improved and abilities unlocked.

Every player will be able access a line called "adventuring or survival" and will have a number of survival based magics and skills that any player can take advantage of. This line will also contain things like first aid, bandaging, foraging, sense heading,  etc.

more to come....

I would like to see a merge of classes, skill points, etc so one can craft unique builds within the EQ traditional class structure.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

I would like to see a merge of classes, skill points, etc so one can craft unique builds within the EQ traditional class structure.

RaiderZ has a cool system where you start off as a class and must put points into that first.  Then after filling x number of skill points you can put them into other classes at the base.  It's a very cool way of doing D&D style multi-classing.  As long as changing skill trees around isn't an insane cost it is pretty fun.  The weakness int he system is that you're basically guessing at what you think works rather than being able to make an informed choice.

That sounds very cool.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

Channeling: channeling will make a comeback in the game. This time around it will not only depend on your skill in chanelling and magic school but also the type of weapon equipped. Your weapon or channeling instrument will also have modifiers versus the different spell schools and types. You will be able to equip any armor or weapon in any class but there will be consequences for doing that.

Spell schools: Like EQ1 there will be a number of spell schools available to the classes. Most classes will have access to a few spells schools this time around. Your spellbook will contain all your spells (once you get one), and through your spellbook you will be able to adjust your focus between the schools of magic available to you.This will make some spells more powerful at the cost of other spells power in a losing ratio.  In your home or lair you will be able to spellweave, if you have created a magic crafting setup which will include a grimoire, cauldron, waterpool, and a few other constructs wich will allow you to not only modify spells but actually create them. Players will be responsible for creating the vast majority of the spells in EQ next. The game will only start with the basics.

Crafting: this will be the ultimate crafting game. In order to craft you need resources, and those resources are gained from gaining territory in the warfronts. The deeper the penetration into the warfront the better the materials. Crafters will be responsible for pretty much everything in the game. There will be a symbiotic relationship between those who craft and those who open up the terriitory. Materials will have a number of refinement stages and different materials will have different properties. There is no one best material for anything. For instance the best steel gives good armor but also confers a huge penalty to electrical attacks. Resources will also cycle in availability. Whats available now may not always be available. You will not be able to buy a castle. It will have to be built by crafters. You can pay them to build it for you. This applies to everything.

Resistances: Resistances will play a much larger part of the game. You will not be able to max them all out. You have to pick and choose what you want. Some resistance will also cancel others out. You cant be resistant to heat and cold at the same time. You have to pick.

Auction house: each major racial city will have its own auction house. There will be trade routes in between and the caravans going back and forth can and will be attacked.

Weight will matter again. You will not be strolling around with massive amounts of treasure strung over your back. There will be some items like mounts and dimensional bags that will help but it will have to be managed. Too much weight for your character will slow you down in both combat and movement. There will be skills in the adventuring line that will allow the compaction of loot into essences and salvage. You will not be going around with 6 sets of platemail in your backpack.

Combat: combat will be fps style combat in 1st or 3rd person. Every class will have some way to block attacks, though some will be more effective than others (i.e sheild vs sword). It will not just be a game of dps. You will have to wait for openings sometimes, depending on the mob. You will also have a hotbar system which will will be limited to 12 additional slots. 6 can be used for combat and 6 for non combat.

The game will have the trinity but it will not be as easy as previous games. There will be no aggro management. Crowd control will be making a comeback bigtime and melee characters will have a number of crowd control mechanisms at their disposal for close quarters combat. There will be no "i win" taunt button. Aggro itself will be on a hair trigger with a random component. A mob may not like you because of your class or race, or the things you do, or just because.

You will have health and mana and there will be no strict cooldown timers per say. If a spell has a cooldown timer you can still cast it again  but it costs 2x as much mana to cast and reset the timer to 2x. A third time before the timer elapses will cost 3x. This is meant to give flexibility to the magic system. Melee abilities will work the same way with stamina. Some abiliities will use both stamina and mana and still others will use either mana or stamina, or both and a component. The more powerful the ability the more resources it uses.

The environmnet is a source of mana regeneration. If you are a necromancer you can regenerate mana quicklier by draining the land of life (it goes grey), while a druid regenerates mana quicklier surrounded by life. Magicians will have 4 pools, one for each element and being nearby the element in question will regenerate faster. Each class will have its own "thing" when it comes to the interaction with the environment.

Channeling: channeling will make a comeback in the game. This time around it will not only depend on your skill in chanelling and magic school but also the type of weapon equipped. Your weapon or channeling instrument will also have modifiers versus the different spell schools and types. You will be able to equip any armor or weapon in any class but there will be consequences for doing that. Spell schools: Like EQ1 there will be a number of spell schools available to the classes. Most classes will have access to a few spells schools this time around. Your spellbook will contain all your spells (once you get one), and through your spellbook you will be able to adjust your focus between the schools of magic available to you.This will make some spells more powerful at the cost of other spells power in a losing ratio.  In your home or lair you will be able to spellweave, if you have created a magic crafting setup which will include a grimoire, cauldron, waterpool, and a few other constructs wich will allow you to not only modify spells but actually create them. Players will be responsible for creating the vast majority of the spells in EQ next. The game will only start with the basics. Crafting: this will be the ultimate crafting game. In order to craft you need resources, and those resources are gained from gaining territory in the warfronts. The deeper the penetration into the warfront the better the materials. Crafters will be responsible for pretty much everything in the game. There will be a symbiotic relationship between those who craft and those who open up the terriitory. Materials will have a number of refinement stages and different materials will have different properties. There is no one best material for anything. For instance the best steel gives good armor but also confers a huge penalty to electrical attacks. Resources will also cycle in availability. Whats available now may not always be available. You will not be able to buy a castle. It will have to be built by crafters. You can pay them to build it for you. This applies to everything. Resistances: Resistances will play a much larger part of the game. You will not be able to max them all out. You have to pick and choose what you want. Some resistance will also cancel others out. You cant be resistant to heat and cold at the same time. You have to pick. Auction house: each major racial city will have its own auction house. There will be trade routes in between and the caravans going back and forth can and will be attacked. Weight will matter again. You will not be strolling around with massive amounts of treasure strung over your back. There will be some items like mounts and dimensional bags that will help but it will have to be managed. Too much weight for your character will slow you down in both combat and movement. There will be skills in the adventuring line that will allow the compaction of loot into essences and salvage. You will not be going around with 6 sets of platemail in your backpack. Combat: combat will be fps style combat in 1st or 3rd person. Every class will have some way to block attacks, though some will be more effective than others (i.e sheild vs sword). It will not just be a game of dps. You will have to wait for openings sometimes, depending on the mob. You will also have a hotbar system which will will be limited to 12 additional slots. 6 can be used for combat and 6 for non combat. The game will have the trinity but it will not be as easy as previous games. There will be no aggro management. Crowd control will be making a comeback bigtime and melee characters will have a number of crowd control mechanisms at their disposal for close quarters combat. There will be no "i win" taunt button. Aggro itself will be on a hair trigger with a random component. A mob may not like you because of your class or race, or the things you do, or just because. You will have health and mana and there will be no strict cooldown timers per say. If a spell has a cooldown timer you can still cast it again  but it costs 2x as much mana to cast and reset the timer to 2x. A third time before the timer elapses will cost 3x. This is meant to give flexibility to the magic system. Melee abilities will work the same way with stamina. Some abiliities will use both stamina and mana and still others will use either mana or stamina, or both and a component. The more powerful the ability the more resources it uses. The environmnet is a source of mana regeneration. If you are a necromancer you can regenerate mana quicklier by draining the land of life (it goes grey), while a druid regenerates mana quicklier surrounded by life. Magicians will have 4 pools, one for each element and being nearby the element in question will regenerate faster. Each class will have its own "thing" when it comes to the interaction with the environment.

Do you have a source for any of this, or are they just ideas you'd like to see in game? also tl;dr

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Do you have a source for any of this, or are they just ideas you'd like to see in game? also tl;dr

No - that's a continuation post (speaking of tl;dr) - it's a list of his theories on how it will be set up. Aka, a long list of his future disappointments. 

Channeling: channeling will make a comeback in the game. This time around it will not only depend on your skill in chanelling and magic school but also the type of weapon equipped. Your weapon or channeling instrument will also have modifiers versus the different spell schools and types. You will be able to equip any armor or weapon in any class but there will be consequences for doing that.

Spell schools: Like EQ1 there will be a number of spell schools available to the classes. Most classes will have access to a few spells schools this time around. Your spellbook will contain all your spells (once you get one), and through your spellbook you will be able to adjust your focus between the schools of magic available to you.This will make some spells more powerful at the cost of other spells power in a losing ratio.  In your home or lair you will be able to spellweave, if you have created a magic crafting setup which will include a grimoire, cauldron, waterpool, and a few other constructs wich will allow you to not only modify spells but actually create them. Players will be responsible for creating the vast majority of the spells in EQ next. The game will only start with the basics.

Crafting: this will be the ultimate crafting game. In order to craft you need resources, and those resources are gained from gaining territory in the warfronts. The deeper the penetration into the warfront the better the materials. Crafters will be responsible for pretty much everything in the game. There will be a symbiotic relationship between those who craft and those who open up the terriitory. Materials will have a number of refinement stages and different materials will have different properties. There is no one best material for anything. For instance the best steel gives good armor but also confers a huge penalty to electrical attacks. Resources will also cycle in availability. Whats available now may not always be available. You will not be able to buy a castle. It will have to be built by crafters. You can pay them to build it for you. This applies to everything.

Resistances: Resistances will play a much larger part of the game. You will not be able to max them all out. You have to pick and choose what you want. Some resistance will also cancel others out. You cant be resistant to heat and cold at the same time. You have to pick.

Auction house: each major racial city will have its own auction house. There will be trade routes in between and the caravans going back and forth can and will be attacked.

Weight will matter again. You will not be strolling around with massive amounts of treasure strung over your back. There will be some items like mounts and dimensional bags that will help but it will have to be managed. Too much weight for your character will slow you down in both combat and movement. There will be skills in the adventuring line that will allow the compaction of loot into essences and salvage. You will not be going around with 6 sets of platemail in your backpack.

Combat: combat will be fps style combat in 1st or 3rd person. Every class will have some way to block attacks, though some will be more effective than others (i.e sheild vs sword). It will not just be a game of dps. You will have to wait for openings sometimes, depending on the mob. You will also have a hotbar system which will will be limited to 12 additional slots. 6 can be used for combat and 6 for non combat.

The game will have the trinity but it will not be as easy as previous games. There will be no aggro management. Crowd control will be making a comeback bigtime and melee characters will have a number of crowd control mechanisms at their disposal for close quarters combat. There will be no "i win" taunt button. Aggro itself will be on a hair trigger with a random component. A mob may not like you because of your class or race, or the things you do, or just because.

You will have health and mana and there will be no strict cooldown timers per say. If a spell has a cooldown timer you can still cast it again  but it costs 2x as much mana to cast and reset the timer to 2x. A third time before the timer elapses will cost 3x. This is meant to give flexibility to the magic system. Melee abilities will work the same way with stamina. Some abiliities will use both stamina and mana and still others will use either mana or stamina, or both and a component. The more powerful the ability the more resources it uses.

The environmnet is a source of mana regeneration. If you are a necromancer you can regenerate mana quicklier by draining the land of life (it goes grey), while a druid regenerates mana quicklier surrounded by life. Magicians will have 4 pools, one for each element and being nearby the element in question will regenerate faster. Each class will have its own "thing" when it comes to the interaction with the environment.

ahh kids these days and their tl,dr

i guess i should of used a giant yellow exclamation mark.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

RaiderZ has a cool system where you start off as a class and must put points into that first.  Then after filling x number of skill points you can put them into other classes at the base.  It's a very cool way of doing D&D style multi-classing.  As long as changing skill trees around isn't an insane cost it is pretty fun.  The weakness int he system is that you're basically guessing at what you think works rather than being able to make an informed choice.

That sounds very cool.

RaiderZ has a skill based class system it's one of the better things in the game plus making your own armour and the combat system.

I often thought that it was better than Tera's system.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    I am watching the game. However, I will NOT buy into HYPE which is all we really have so far. Popular buzz words from a talking head. I want to see the game and read what people say after a month of play so that i don't end up being one of the moaning forum heads ever again.
  • cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Curious if we will actually get a EQNEXT.
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Curious if we will actually get a EQNEXT.

id say your definitely going to get it. What "it" is however is very debatable.

lets hope for the best.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Oops I meant EQNEXT forum haha.
    the powers have said that we cant get one until it has a proper name and website to link to...and i would imagine some screenshots or something.
  • deamiandeamian Member UncommonPosts: 66

If it were remotely true we should be seeing, or have seen SOMETHING on it besides words of how amazing it is. When do we expect the worlds largest sandbox style mmo ever made? the year 2050?

Originally posted by deamian

If it were remotely true we should be seeing, or have seen SOMETHING on it besides words of how amazing it is. When do we expect the worlds largest sandbox style mmo ever made? the year 2050?

late 2013 or early 2014 i would imagine if i had to guess. Were told well get to see it and play it at the next soe event ,

next october :(

This discussion has been closed.