Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the bashing against GW2

Comments

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

If a ton of people say something....there must be some truth to it.....

yup just like wow is the worst mmo ever made.. see that thrown around here all the time.. MUST be true though

I suppose to a lot of people it must be.....  I wonder how many tens of millions have unsubscribed over the years??????

sure TONS have doesn't stop it from being one of the most popular MMOs ever even after all those years.. point is take anything anyone says here with a grain of salt.. but figured that was a given...

Who doesn't take it with a grain of salt? You...... The game has serious issues for some people. It is perfection for others. No amount of your white knighting is going to change the opinions of the people who dislike it. To them, it is the very core of the game....the mechanics....that they don't like. Does it really matter? Play your game. If you enjoy it...great. There are a lot of people playing it. It isn't a WoW killer, but nobody ever realistically thought it would be. It has a healthy enough population and interests enough people that I am sure it will be around and playable for some time to come.  

lol you have a seriously deluded view of what I feel about the game and how much I care what others feel about it.. but whatever floats your boat..

Lol a deluded view that is completely validated by a simple scan read of your posting history....

Driz

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    Originally posted by sammyeli
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What about those of us who don't hate the game. I still play it from time to time. It's not a bad game, it's got it's place on my hard drive. But at the same time, I'm not overly impressed by it either. It's not a great game. It's just OK. So, when I see someone gushing all over it, I see that and I personally don't feel that the game is "All that" so I post my opinion on the statement and say, No, GW2 isn't "all that" From that point, I'm immidiately branded as a hater. Which I'm not. I'd dare say the majority of posters that post criticisms do not in fact HATE GW2, we just don't think it's the "paradigm shift" it was foretold to be. So now that we came back and said "Hey, wait a second there!" because we challenged, not GW2 itself, but some of the outrageous claims made by some over the top fans last year (Most of whom are no longer posting anymore) we are constantly accused of "bashing" Why do you think when ever someone wants to post their opinion that contains criticism, even if it's presented constructively, the OP has to start off with the disclaimer they aren't hating or bashing or some other such nonsense?

dude please lol you play the game? type your id here Ill message you right now, get on your highest toon.

Sorry but I don't believe the "I'm the victim because people are picking on me for not liking something" routine geezer.

Want to talk about over the top claims? How about the over the top claims made by people who don't like the game they seriously sound like they have never played the thing for even a day let alone a minute.

Like "combat is boring 1 button pushing" or "questing is all the same in this game" or "you're still grinding all the time because because you have to do something in the game to resembles the others" or my personal favorite "there are still quest hubs they're just called hearts now"

These types of posts by people who simply "don't like the game" aren't reasonable and never give credit where credit is due. These devs of GW2 were fantastic in their delivery of something very much different from the standard lobby style endless gear treadmill and they did it without P2W they did it without a forced subscription and they did it without a trinity.  They deserve our praise for their accomplishments. And despite your post it's a complete "paradigm shift" because it doesn't do what the other themeparks are doing. People who keep posting negativity because someone is being positive about a title and the negative ones not dealing with their own personal themepark burnout on these forums is both immature and unrealistic.

You keep using that word.  I don't think it means what you think it means.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

yup just like wow is the worst mmo ever made.. see that thrown around here all the time.. MUST be true though

I suppose to a lot of people it must be.....  I wonder how many tens of millions have unsubscribed over the years??????

sure TONS have doesn't stop it from being one of the most popular MMOs ever even after all those years.. point is take anything anyone says here with a grain of salt.. but figured that was a given...

Who doesn't take it with a grain of salt? You...... The game has serious issues for some people. It is perfection for others. No amount of your white knighting is going to change the opinions of the people who dislike it. To them, it is the very core of the game....the mechanics....that they don't like. Does it really matter? Play your game. If you enjoy it...great. There are a lot of people playing it. It isn't a WoW killer, but nobody ever realistically thought it would be. It has a healthy enough population and interests enough people that I am sure it will be around and playable for some time to come.  

lol you have a seriously deluded view of what I feel about the game and how much I care what others feel about it.. but whatever floats your boat..

Lol a deluded view that is completely validated by a simple scan read of your posting history....

Driz

not my fault if people read to much into posts also as for "doing it wrong" ill give you another example.. I'm play dishornored right now.. it's a FPS shooter/stealth hybrid type game.. you can play either way.. but if you play straight CoD style run in a kill stuff as fast as possible it's pretty boring IMHO.. but if you play with the abilities and play it as a stealthy game it's freaking amazing... how you play can make a huge difference in a game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by asmkm22

difference is a LOT of people really enjoy the PVE side on GW2.. i doubt many enjoy eating roaches

and creslin LOL:P

And that's great that some people enjoy it.  But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't enjoy it is somehow misguided or just doesn't "get it" or whatever.  They may not share your opinion, but that doesn't invalidate their opinion.  And, like it or not, the game is getting a reputation for being a bit on the shallow side.  I stopped counting the times I would see a post or comment about how the game is fun, but not worth a sub.  Most of the people "bashing" GW2 aren't saying it's a horrendeous trainwreck.  Just that it's not really a great MMO.  It's just a game that's fun for a bit, but that fun wears thin quickly for a lot of people.

Feel free to keep dismissing all of the complaints though, becuase they obviously just don't get the game.

actually i see that on almost a daily basis :)

And completely avoided commenting on the main point of the post, that you think anyone who diagrees with you, or simplt does not like the game is someholw wrong or is just "doing it wrong"...

I dont hate this game but lets be honest...it is really, really average :(

I guess I must just be dismissing all the content and not understanding what the game is about, right?

Driz

and again many posts are editied or deleted but people that don't spend much time here miss that.. and let's be honest many people feel this game is a well above average themepark MMO

Do try to at least answer the point....

Once again, the poster was highlighting the fact that you as a GW2 fanboy/girl think that anyone who disagrees with your opinion on the game is wrong, just dismissing the content or has somehow misunderstood what the game is about....

Your post history makes this an irrefutable fact however whenever anyone calls you out on it you simply ignore them. Its like you are simply dismissing the content of their post or just do not understand what the post is about lol :)

Driz

Originally posted by asmkm22

difference is a LOT of people really enjoy the PVE side on GW2.. i doubt many enjoy eating roaches

and creslin LOL:P

And that's great that some people enjoy it.  But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't enjoy it is somehow misguided or just doesn't "get it" or whatever.  They may not share your opinion, but that doesn't invalidate their opinion.  And, like it or not, the game is getting a reputation for being a bit on the shallow side.  I stopped counting the times I would see a post or comment about how the game is fun, but not worth a sub.  Most of the people "bashing" GW2 aren't saying it's a horrendeous trainwreck.  Just that it's not really a great MMO.  It's just a game that's fun for a bit, but that fun wears thin quickly for a lot of people.

Feel free to keep dismissing all of the complaints though, becuase they obviously just don't get the game.

actually i see that on almost a daily basis :)

And completely avoided commenting on the main point of the post, that you think anyone who diagrees with you, or simplt does not like the game is someholw wrong or is just "doing it wrong"...

I dont hate this game but lets be honest...it is really, really average :(

I guess I must just be dismissing all the content and not understanding what the game is about, right?

Driz

and again many posts are editied or deleted but people that don't spend much time here miss that.. and let's be honest many people feel this game is a well above average themepark MMO

Do try to at least answer the point....

Once again, the poster was highlighting the fact that you as a GW2 fanboy/girl think that anyone who disagrees with your opinion on the game is wrong, just dismissing the content or has somehow misunderstood what the game is about....

Your post history makes this an irrefutable fact however whenever anyone calls you out on it you simply ignore them. Its like you are simply dismissing the content of their post or just do not understand what the post is about lol :)

Driz

read my edit on the last post.. and in red is just absurd and ridiculous

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Driz

not my fault if people read to much into posts also as for "doing it wrong" ill give you another example.. I'm play dishornored right now.. it's a FPS shooter/stealth hybrid type game.. you can play either way.. but if you play straight CoD style run in a kill stuff as fast as possible it's pretty boring IMHO.. but if you play with the abilities and play it as a stealthy game it's freaking amazing... how you play can make a huge difference in a game

Yes but you take that rationale out of context and use it to defend GW2 ad nauseam.

I say GW2 has the worst graphics Ive ever seen and your answer is still "Your playing it wrong..." lol....

How about the players that have the same play style as yourself and STILL think GW2 is JUST a terrible game? What are they doing wrong? How are they not understanding what the game is about?

Driz

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by grimal

What about those of us who don't hate the game. I still play it from time to time. It's not a bad game, it's got it's place on my hard drive. But at the same time, I'm not overly impressed by it either. It's not a great game. It's just OK. So, when I see someone gushing all over it, I see that and I personally don't feel that the game is "All that" so I post my opinion on the statement and say, No, GW2 isn't "all that" From that point, I'm immidiately branded as a hater. Which I'm not. I'd dare say the majority of posters that post criticisms do not in fact HATE GW2, we just don't think it's the "paradigm shift" it was foretold to be. So now that we came back and said "Hey, wait a second there!" because we challenged, not GW2 itself, but some of the outrageous claims made by some over the top fans last year (Most of whom are no longer posting anymore) we are constantly accused of "bashing" Why do you think when ever someone wants to post their opinion that contains criticism, even if it's presented constructively, the OP has to start off with the disclaimer they aren't hating or bashing or some other such nonsense?

dude please lol you play the game? type your id here Ill message you right now, get on your highest toon.

Sorry but I don't believe the "I'm the victim because people are picking on me for not liking something" routine geezer.

Want to talk about over the top claims? How about the over the top claims made by people who don't like the game they seriously sound like they have never played the thing for even a day let alone a minute.

Like "combat is boring 1 button pushing" or "questing is all the same in this game" or "you're still grinding all the time because because you have to do something in the game to resembles the others" or my personal favorite "there are still quest hubs they're just called hearts now"

These types of posts by people who simply "don't like the game" aren't reasonable and never give credit where credit is due. These devs of GW2 were fantastic in their delivery of something very much different from the standard lobby style endless gear treadmill and they did it without P2W they did it without a forced subscription and they did it without a trinity.  They deserve our praise for their accomplishments. And despite your post it's a complete "paradigm shift" because it doesn't do what the other themeparks are doing. People who keep posting negativity because someone is being positive about a title and the negative ones not dealing with their own personal themepark burnout on these forums is both immature and unrealistic.

No, he doesn't. A paradigm shift is something that changes society. It's on a broad scale. The Internet as a form of communication. Air travel over ocean travel. The Auto from the horse and carriage. The Cell Phone. These are examples of Paradigm Shifts. GW2 would have needed to change the way the entire world percieves and plays video games.

And to the previous poster, I don't need to waste my time proving to you that I play. We had this arguement before when you accused my of not knowing what I'm talking about since I don't play. You were wrong then and you are wrong now. I own the game and still log in. I've even bought gems. I frankly could care less if you believe me or not.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by eyelolled

First off, you need to realize some things.

GW2 doesn't have FFA OWPvP with full loot and permadeath so it's not hardcore enough for all us internet gangstas.  It's obviously a fail game.

GW2 isn't a sandbox, so it's way too themepark for all us dedicated sandboxers. It's obviously a fail game.

GW2 is just another fantasy themed mmorpg, which is so unrealistic compared to my ultramodern fantasy setting. Obviously a fail game.

GW2 doesn't have mounts, and I like being mounted. Obviously a ....    wait that didn't sound right.

GW2 is F2P and I like the feeling that someone's hand is in my pocket at least once a month.   Obviously a ....     wait, that didn't sound right either.

GW2 has no raids, and raids are how us elitists get our elitist gear, and with no elitist gear, than how can we be elitist and that means I don't exist, and if I don't exist than obviously GW2 is a fail game.

/end of sarcstic rant

(oh and btw, I do realize it's B2P, it was intentional)

EDIT: It was not my intent to offend anybody that may hold true to any of the descriptions I provided. This post was made with a healthy dose of parody

^^Best post in thread.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Yes but you take that rationale out of context and use it to defend GW2 ad nauseam.

I say GW2 has the worst graphics Ive ever seen and your answer is still "Your playing it wrong..." lol....

How about the players that have the same play style as yourself and STILL think GW2 is JUST a terrible game? What are they doing wrong? How are they not understanding what the game is about?

Driz

then they simply don't like it.. which is fine... if they want to discuss it i'm happy to discuss what I feel and why.. simple as that..

wtf are you talking about with the graphics sentance?

how am I taking that out of context? a game presents you with multiple ways to play i enjoy one way to play and find it the most fun.. i will try to get others to try it that way and maybe see what they were missing if they still don't like it then fine you don't like it..

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

No, he doesn't. A paradigm shift is something that changes society. It's on a broad scale. The Internet as a form of communication. Air travel over ocean travel. The Auto from the horse and carriage. The Cell Phone. These are examples of Paradigm Shifts. GW2 would have needed to change the way the entire world percieves and plays video games. 

And to the previous poster, I don't need to waste my time proving to you that I play. We had this arguement before when you accused my of not knowing what I'm talking about since I don't play. You were wrong then and you are wrong now. I own the game and still log in. I've even bought gems. I frankly could care less if you believe me or not.

What are you a 6th grader? You aren't allowed to say you are a fan of a music roup unless you can name 10 songs?

Unfortunately I do think GW2 was a paradigm shift. Because it had success as B2P I think it was the last straw for the sub model. I prefer the sub model because when games rely on income from cash shops you just get nickel and dimed. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by drakaena
    A thread bashing the bashers. Nice.

U!  No U! Totally U!

No one is ever the villain, from his own POV.

But we've all got to prove we're right, the get those valuable forum points (redeemable for cash and prizes).

If gamers (at least our present sampling) have any one single factor in common, it may be that they're all habitual, almost instinctive right-fighters.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

What are you a 6th grader? You aren't allowed to say you are a fan of a music roup unless you can name 10 songs?

Unfortunately I do think GW2 was a paradigm shift. Because it had success as B2P I think it was the last straw for the sub model. I prefer the sub model because when games rely on income from cash shops you just get nickel and dimed. 

B2P success happened well before.  And besides, P2P has been on its way out for quite some time (notice all the F2P titles?)

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Then you do not know what a Paradigm Shift really is.  

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think it's an appropriate time for you to step back for a moment, and remember that this "right" you have to share your opinion on the game is the same right that someone else has to gush over it. They are stating how they feel about the game and you're feeling compelled to correct them. You have absolutely no idea on what their perception is, yet you feel you already know that it's wrong.

Take for example the fact that resource nodes give resources to each player rather than having to compete over resource. This may not be a groundbreaking change for you, but it could be the most important facet to a game possible for someone else.  Maybe that person spent countless hours running around trying to find resources that were always taken because the game had a bot problem at the time. Maybe to them, it's all about the gathering. Their opinion is valid.

Or what about people like myself that want to just walk out into a world and take part. No quests, no indicators, no clutter just scripted dynamic sequences that have multiple outcomes dependant on player participation. To me, this is a giant leap in themepark design. This is the first step towards the game I want to play. This is evolutionary because it's like someone in the development team is looking into my head and trying to make the game I envision. Is my opinion not valid? Do you need to correct me on what I want?

Fanboi's have a terrible problem with not being able to accept that people don't like their game. They have to correct every person that speaks any misinformation and police the forums for threads and posts that are contrary to their opinion. Would you say that "haters" are the opposite end of that spectrum? 

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Torgrim

GW2 is a AAA product right?

There is plenty of content for everyone?

You are not forced into a roll in a dungeon run?

You are not forced to play in your homeland you can travel and meet up friends right?

Ohh, did I forget to say It's buy and play.

Guild Wars 2 have huge amount of content for players to experince when they buy the game and still this game is attacked from all side like a common sub game.

Why is that?

Simple. Its not the One True Game(tm) that many people hyped themselves into believing it would be.  Not to mention that while it is a good game (all things considered) its combat system isn't one of its best points.  I played warrior up to 60, and then went back to the land of the Panda. Its just not my type of game.  But many people obviously enjoy it. 

But why bother defending the game? A good game needs no defense. It stands on its merits. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by just1opinion

GW2 doesn't have FFA OWPvP with full loot and permadeath so it's not hardcore enough for all us internet gangstas.  It's obviously a fail game.

GW2 isn't a sandbox, so it's way too themepark for all us dedicated sandboxers. It's obviously a fail game.

GW2 is just another fantasy themed mmorpg, which is so unrealistic compared to my ultramodern fantasy setting. Obviously a fail game.

GW2 doesn't have mounts, and I like being mounted. Obviously a ....    wait that didn't sound right.

GW2 is F2P and I like the feeling that someone's hand is in my pocket at least once a month.   Obviously a ....     wait, that didn't sound right either.

GW2 has no raids, and raids are how us elitists get our elitist gear, and with no elitist gear, than how can we be elitist and that means I don't exist, and if I don't exist than obviously GW2 is a fail game.

/end of sarcstic rant

EDIT: It was not my intent to offend anybody that may hold true to any of the descriptions I provided. This post was made with a healthy dose of parody

^^Best post in thread.

Nope, it was condescendingly insulting.  One of the worst posts and indicative of the level of maturity here.

GG? No one does.

It's a recent invention as an advertising tagline.  It means about as much as those "legendary craftsmen of old world Italy" that used to be so important on a certain brand of faucets (made in china).

Sorry, 1962 isn't all that recent, I guess.  At least that's what the younger gamers tell me :/

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by drakaena
    A thread bashing the bashers. Nice.

U!  No U! Totally U!

No one is ever the villain, from his own POV.

But we've all got to prove we're right, the get those valuable forum points (redeemable for cash and prizes).

If gamers (at least our present sampling) have any one single factor in common, it may be that they're all habitual, almost instinctive right-fighters.

Everyone has their superhero aspirations. Who wants to be "The Forum Avenger"!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

B2P success happened well before.  And besides, P2P has been on its way out for quite some time (notice all the F2P titles?)

Gaming companies don't seem that original, After GW2 sold millions of copies, instead of looking at the fact GW2 made an effort to be original (Whether you like it or not) and caught the imagination of the gaming community. They are just going to say, "It must be the business model"

B2P will be the next "There's gold in the hills" MMO rush. Not making better games, just thinking if we go B2P we will have success like GW2.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    we know who are the people bashing this game; GW2 doesn't cater to loners that love to gank players in open world; there is no PvP server in GW2; if they want to gank, they must go to WvW or a mini PvP game, but that's not the same; they want open world PvP, otherwise the game is not good; these are the same losers and crybabies who won't play games such as Darkfall because they can't handle the pressure

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I was using that word because someone else does, accusing me of not knowing what that phrase means is like telling someone on a news channel that a direct quote from an interview isn't what they think it means. It's as plain as the freckles on a redhead's cheek.

It's funny that I'm being called the 6th grader when all I've done is point out how childish the posts about this game have been since even before this game was launched and pointing out how only on these forums and nowhere else these posts are coming out of the woodwork. Wouldn't you agree (speaking to the rest) that it's very odd that posts like these are commonplace but are found nowhere else (accept the occasional blog post by people who want to be contraversial just to drum up some site traffic.) B2P is a paradigm shift from the endless norm of a subscription even with Freemium that forces you to subscribe anyway. if more the 3 million people played (and i'm guessing because i haven't seen the total since the first week report) i would consider that a shift. :)

I just point out what's obvious I mean, seriously if you claim the combats the same, the questings the same, the environments the same, the rewards are the same, don't you think that eventually you're going to sound redundant in your claims especially since anyone who's actually playing can see there is no validation for such claims after a while? it becomes sortof obvious. What's childish is these claims keep being made after they've been disproven time and time again by footage and screenies.

Anyway, since so many seem to be enjoying their regular weekend sport uninterrupted...back to ogre bashing!  And tiime for a fresh beverage.

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by just1opinion

/end of sarcstic rant

^^Best post in thread.

Nope, it was condescendingly insulting.  One of the worst posts and indicative of the level of maturity here.

I'm sorry if I made you feel bad. I really was just poking fun and I didn't mean to hurt anybody's feelings. Thats why I put the EDIT in, so that people would realize I was just "funnin"

I guess this should be a lesson me and to you all. Forum banter is serious business. You do not know the emotional effects that some offhand comments might create. Please refrain from making any comments that are contrary to anyone elses especially in parody.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Icewhite

GG? No one does.

It's a recent invention as an advertising tagline.  It means about as much as those "legendary craftsmen of old world Italy" that used to be so important on a certain brand of faucets (made in china).

Sorry, 1962 isn't all that recent, I guess.  At least that's what the younger gamers tell me :/

A paradigm shift is one that moves a world view from one point to another completely. ie from people believing the earth is flat to the earth is round.

GW2 has changed nothing, no other games are going B2P, dynamic events were already done by other games before, and it certainly hasn't caused a majority to agree that it is the way forward for new games.

Originally posted by RefMinor

A paradigm shift is one that moves a world view from one point to another completely. ie from people believing the earth is flat to the earth is round.

Why thanks! 

Anyone that's confused about it can order their own copy: www.amazon.com/Structure-Scientific-Revolutions-Thomas-Kuhn/dp/0226458083

This discussion has been closed.