Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tornquist gone to new studio

2»

Comments

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Tornquist should just leave Funcom and fully focus on his own company.

He have all the experience to produce a good SRPG.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    [mod edit]
    I didn't lie, the original article I read stated Tornquist had setup a new studio.  It was a natural assumption to assume he had left Funcom to do that.  For information Funcom had to clarify that Tornquist was still with them, so it wasn't only me that thought he had gone his separate way.

[mod edit]
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    [mod edit]
    [mod edit]
    The latest thing with Ragnar is fair enough, go back to what you are good at ... good for him.  But at the same time don't be delusional.  Ragnar is making sure Ragnar is set for the future.  He has a contingency and something to fall back on.  So what do you think he will still be working 37.5+ hours a week at Funcom, then doing his own thing with his own studio at weekends and in the evening.   We won't see Dreamfall Chapters before the end of the decade if that is the case.  One foot out the door and the other will follow soon.  Not that I have ever been right on anything to do with Funcom.  With any luck we might get Joel back to defend his corner, tell me how much 'influence' Ragnar still has with TSW! And they are not going free to play 'anytime soon'...

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Shouldn't really be a surprise IMO - Ragnar's strength is storytelling, and I imagine it's a part of the game design process that he both likes and can (hopefully) turn to a profit.

Funcom's future outlook from their Q2 report is towards "Building smaller, more focussed online games" and "Player driven content, engagement and community", which sounds, to me, like it'll leave a lot less room for story elements than has been allowed in recent releases.

Long story short - I think Ragnar and Funcom's aims now diverge over the "story" element.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Just seen the 1.4 patch notes and the huge huge improvements they are making to pvp. Looks like funcom are maybe focussing less on story and getting the other systems right. If these pvp changes work, tsw should be a good game pvp wise. 1.3 brought the rp things like the theatre, I wonder if the cabal housing will come with 1.5. Tsw always had potential to be a good mmo, its main drawback was there was nothing for you at endgame unless you liked grinding dungeons a lot.
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Just seen the 1.4 patch notes and the huge huge improvements they are making to pvp. Looks like funcom are maybe focussing less on story and getting the other systems right. If these pvp changes work, tsw should be a good game pvp wise. 1.3 brought the rp things like the theatre, I wonder if the cabal housing will come with 1.5. Tsw always had potential to be a good mmo, its main drawback was there was nothing for you at endgame unless you liked grinding dungeons a lot.

And here are the notes:

http://unfair.co/gaming/the-secret-world/the-secret-world-update-version-1-4-test-live-patch-notes/

...and on PVP:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60920#postmenu_1443985

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Tornquist was the main writer and brain behind the wonderful themes, missions and story details?

If so, he's really got some skill - I hope his new gig works out for him.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

I don't know how successful Dreamfall Chapters will be. IIRC, Dreamfall itself wasn't a huge commercial success, although maybe that's because it was a very flawed game in some ways. Still, it's one of my favorite series and hopefully, we'll see a good continuation of it soon enough. So, for me, this is good news.

As for TSW, it could do just fine even without as much involvement from Ragnar. It doesn't need as much writing now that it's out and TSW has some other good writers, too.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

Ragnar's new company is called 'Red Thread Games'.

One of the new missions being released in TSW is 'The Red Thread'.

Hmmmmm..... interesting.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Keylogger Tornquist was the main writer and brain behind the wonderful themes, missions and story details? If so, he's really got some skill - I hope his new gig works out for him.
    He's also the writer and brains behind the Longest Journey games, and the original lore/storyline writer of Anarchy Online.

Well fuck.

That explains alot.

Longest Journey was great and AO/RK gave me a huge nerd boner.

Given a good company (read: $$$) he'll knock some gold out, I bet.