Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the bashing against GW2

Comments

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Papadam

GW2 have probably the worst and most defensive fanbase on this site. THere is more threads about why peole bash the game then there are thread actually bashing...

Every critizism against GW2 is met with a bunch of fans  blaming "themepark burnout" .. just lol...

Ive even seen fans saying that not having mounts is a PRO not a con.. unbelievable.

GW2 is just a solid game without a monthly sub.

so because you believe it's a CON it must be? good to know

Im sure its a CON to him so your right it must be. Were loosing site that most of this hate/love about gw2 or any game for the matter is ALL OPINIONATIVE.

No reason to get snipy because of someones opinion no matter how unreasonable it may seem to you.

My grandpop uase to say "opinions are like assholes. everyone has them and they all stink."

guess you missed my point.. nm

sorry i mush have. and if you dont explain what that point was ill never know =)

he is saying people who believe having no mounts as a PRO is "unbelievable" which is basically saying people who have differn't opinion than him is ubelievable.. that was my point

He believes. His opinion. Others share his opinion and others, like yourself, dont. Its not a crime to dissagree.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by grimal

It's called hype backlash.  The bigger the hype, the harder the fall.

If this game was not as hyped up as it was, you would see a lot less grumbling (I know, I know, there was no hype because it was all true...and people knew exactly the kind of game it was because they played the BWEs.....)

It was the people in the BWE's doing the most hyping, ironically.

When people are making remarks like, "It's a genre changer", "quest hubs are dead" and are asking questions about how it's changed the way MMOs will be made going forward, when the game wasn't even out 2 weeks yet... That's pure hype. 100%.

There were tons of people saying such things, around here and elsewhere.

Anyone who tries to now turn around and claim there was no hype is absolutely full of it... or has a serious memory problem.

You're absolutely right about the hype backlash, too.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

He believes. His opinion. Others share his opinion and others, like yourself, dont. Its not a crime to dissagree.

that was my exact point.. but guess it went right over your head... that's why I said nm earlier

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Omnifish
    (...)

You cant put that on her or anyone else that hyped up GW2. At some point personal responsibility has to play a part. If you chose to buy GW2 after you read someones hype post about the game and then hated it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I agree, but you are being far too leniant in my opinion. If anyone bought GW2 and then found out they didn't like the game as much as they wanted to, then it is their own fault. There was more than enough information released prior to the official release of the game. It is like running in front of a train and then blame the train company for your wounds. 

Ever heard the phrase "what sounds good on paper doesnt always work well in practice"?

It doesnt matter how much people knew before the game came out or even that they played it on the bwe's, what matters is how much fun they got out of the game when playing it for weeks.

Lack of progression, buggy/broken events, zergy dungeons, 6hour wvw queu's with unbalanced matches, hackers/botters, are all things that we didnt know would be bad until the game had been live for a few weeks

Originally posted by TangentPoint

If this game was not as hyped up as it was, you would see a lot less grumbling (I know, I know, there was no hype because it was all true...and people knew exactly the kind of game it was because they played the BWEs.....)

When people are making remarks like, "It's a genre changer", "quest hubs are dead" and are asking questions about how it's changed the way MMOs will be made going forward, when the game wasn't even out 2 weeks yet... That's pure hype. 100%.

Anyone who tries to now turn around and claim there was no hype is absolutely full of it... or has a serious memory problem.

it was people playing hyping the game which to me is a lot better than most games that are hyped from just devs and a couple teaser videos.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Some people like to play and enjoy their games, other like to bash them on forums.  Simple.
  • dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

GW2 like any other game is subject to each players personal opinions about how good it is and these opinions will vary based on many aspects of the game..

In my honest and unbiased opinion after playing gw2 from the first alpha right up to today is hands down the best mmo currently out if not the best mmo ever made and the game is just a little over 2 months old...

The game isnt perfect but no other games that have been out for 10 plus years are either..

The game delivered on its hype for many but for others it didnt for various reasons many that can be considered legit..

Its a buy once play as long as you want game that in many aspects beats and or rivals any currently existing games with the promise of only getting better with time..

Playing GW2..

that was my exact point.. but guess it went right over your head... that's why I said nm earlier

I wish someone would invent a tab option to show inflection in peoples posts. would make things so much easier.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Another day.  Still treading in the same circles.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I keep saying gw2´s biggest enemy are it´s fanboys.

As a gw2 player i can honestly say i am 10 times more tired of the exagerated defenses than from the naysaying.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by deakon
    (...)

You cant put that on her or anyone else that hyped up GW2. At some point personal responsibility has to play a part. If you chose to buy GW2 after you read someones hype post about the game and then hated it, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I agree, but you are being far too leniant in my opinion. If anyone bought GW2 and then found out they didn't like the game as much as they wanted to, then it is their own fault. There was more than enough information released prior to the official release of the game. It is like running in front of a train and then blame the train company for your wounds. 

Ever heard the phrase "what sounds good on paper doesnt always work well in practice"?

It doesnt matter how much people knew before the game came out or even that they played it on the bwe's, what matters is how much fun they got out of the game when playing it for weeks.

Lack of progression, buggy/broken events, zergy dungeons, 6hour wvw queu's with unbalanced matches, hackers/botters, are all things that we didnt know would be bad until the game had been live for a few weeks

They should have known that it could been that "bad" and be prepared for a such situation. If they are still willing to gamble then that's their choice and they have to take responsability for that.

Lack of progression <---- The game was not supposed to be about progression.

Buggy/broken events <--- Any MMORPG always releases with bugs.

Zergy dungeons <--- Completely possible outcome of the dungeon design

6hour www queues <- Should have been seen as a possible scenario given that there is not infinite performance.

Unbalanced matches <--- The possibility of unbalance is to be expected.

Hackers/botters <---- Very common in MMORPGs.

(...)

Perhaps its to ealry in the morning for me and im to lvl headed. let the day progress and perhaps my tone with harden =)

Originally posted by Icewhite

Another day.  Still treading in the same circles.

tried to have a nice conversation about permadeath in wizardry forum but no one seems to want that discussion.. what can you do...

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

nope it's all the fans fault no responsability can be taken on one's self.. everything is from us fans who actually like the game we ruined it for the site and everyone else and now because we have an opinion that didn't match with people it's all our fault oh the humanity... ANET is even nice enough to give refunds to all these people who dislike the game what else can you really ask for..

Yeah that is total nonsense of course.

So if I like e.g. the movie "Skyfall", and I tell to my friends that I liked it, then they go to the movies and dislike it, it's MY fault for being honest about my opinion and telling them I liked it and thought it's a good movie? I should have lied and told them it's crap so they don't risk to pay money for a movie they don't like? Really?

Please, stop this crap thinking. I know the new generation doesn't like to deal with their own responsibilities and like to blame others for their own shortcomings and mistakes, but this is just pure nonsense. And what's sad is that this kind of arguments come from adults (according to their profile age)... coming from a teenager with no experience of life, I'd understand, but here... it's just plain sad.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

what can you do...

Move on, of course.

No worries, it's Saturday; there should be a dozen new trolling threads started, assuming mmorpg.com continues to keep the same weekly schedule.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

nope it's all the fans fault no responsability can be taken on one's self.. everything is from us fans who actually like the game we ruined it for the site and everyone else and now because we have an opinion that didn't match with people it's all our fault oh the humanity... ANET is even nice enough to give refunds to all these people who dislike the game what else can you really ask for..

Yeah that is total nonsense of course.

So if I like e.g. the movie "Skyfall", and I tell to my friends that I liked it, then they go to the movies and dislike it, it's MY fault for being honest about my opinion and telling them I liked it and though it's a good movie?

Please, stop this crap thinking. I know the new generation doesn't like to deal with their own responsibilities and like to blame others for their own shortcomings and mistakes, but this is just pure nonsense. And what's sad is that this kind of arguments come from adults (according to their profile age)... coming from a teenager with no experience of life, I'd understand, but here... it's just plain sad.

yup but seems what fuels most the posts according to this thread that and retailliation for ruining the forums apparently

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

it was people playing hyping the game which to me is a lot better than most games that are hyped from just devs and a couple teaser videos.. 

That's a rather poor, and very inaccurate generalization.

Doesn't matter who it comes from. It's still hype and it's still unrealistic.

AOC was hyped by its beta players, devs, teaser videos and articles.

TOR was hyped by its beta players, teaser videos, devs and quite enthusiastically (to put it mildly) by writers on various websites, including this one. There was a TOR love-fest on this site for a while.

Darkfall Online had its share of rather rabid fans ripping anyone to shreds who dared disagree that it would single-handedly change what people expected in MMOs - and they couldn't have been farther from the truth on that one.

The list goes on. Just about any half-way major MMO release that comes along is hyped up by its fans, developers/PR and various websites/authors. People who dissent, or express doubt are immediately pounced upon for daring to not agree.

It's typically the fans who are the worst about it because not only are they hyping it up to absurd degrees, they're trying to silence and stifle anyone who disagrees with them.

ANet/GW2 fans have been among the worst in recent memory in that regard. To declare a MMO is "a genre changer", before it's even launched yet, is hyperbole to the extreme. The only other MMO that comes close to the amount of unfettered hype GW2 has received is TOR.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    They should have known that it could been that "bad" and be prepared for a such situation. If they are still willing to gamble then that's their choice and they have to take responsability for that.

Lack of progression <---- The game was not supposed to be about progression.

Buggy/broken events <--- Any MMORPG always releases with bugs.

Zergy dungeons <--- Completely possible outcome of the dungeon design

6hour www queues <- Should have been seen as a possible scenario given that there is not infinite performance.

Unbalanced matches <--- The possibility of unbalance is to be expected.

Hackers/botters <---- Very common in MMORPGs.

Thats like saying you knew what the film was about and have seen the trailer, therefore you cant complain.

The game was not supposed to be about progression. - Agreed but what sounds good on paper.....

Any MMORPG always releases with bugs. - Granted but maps with 50% broken content should never have gotten past the beta stage

Should have been seen as a possible scenario given that there is not infinite performance. - oh good that makes waiting in a 6hour que much more fun, thanks

The possibility of unbalance is to be expected. - doesnt make them fun or enjoyable tho

Very common in MMORPGs - not to this extent, ive been playing mmo's for 7 years and never seen as many hackers/botters as i do here

And tbh those things are completely besides the point as I was just pointing out that the floors in the game werent known by everyone going in as you couldnt know how bad they would be before the game was out

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

OP is right - GW2 is the most flamed and bashed MMO of all times. My theory: There are some people who get payed for.

I mean, I do not like WoW, but I would never waste my time to flame it almost every day ( some guys here on this forums do that).

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

That's a rather poor, and very inaccurate generalization.

Doesn't matter who it comes from. It's still hype and it's still unrealistic.

AOC was hyped by its beta players, devs, teaser videos and articles.

For being in the beta of that game, I can say this is not true. In both games, there was a quite large part of the testers saying the game was not ready, actually all the testers who had seen more than just Tortage. Not to mention the strategy of Funcom to restrict most testers to that polished part of the game. And even those restricted to Tortage saw the game bugs, instability of the client and other problems.

Funcom just ignored that and released. Their bad.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

ANet/GW2 fans have been among the worst in recent memory in that regard. To declare a MMO is "a genre changer", before it's even launched yet, is hyperbole to the extreme. The only other MMO that comes close to the amount of unfettered hype GW2 has received is TOR.

Because the hate started so very early and fed the hype flames with free negative publicity?

Yes, essentially.  The one thing hype-retaliators don't seem to get; they're responsible for half of the traffic.

When teamA gets to arguing with teamB on a daily and consistant basis, they both grow more extreme.  That's just how polarity works on forums.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by deakon
    (...)

Thats like saying you knew what the film was about and have seen the trailer, therefore you cant complain.

(...)

As long as the companies involved have held their part of the deal in a legal sense, then the customer has no moral right to complain, in my opinion. If you are not sure if you will like a product as much as you want to, then you can simply just refrain from purchasing that product. 

If the companies have broken the law in some way, then sue them.

Originally posted by bcbully

after 3 BWEs and hundreds of youtube videos what all was really hidden as far as core gameplay? what the game was all about was known for quite sometime.. no raids no stat progressive gear grind.. all that was known for a very long time.. if that's what upset people that's really their own fault..

It actually isn't completely, it is people like you's fault as well because you hyped this game to death so much before release. It's about time you took responsibilty for what you write, you can't say: 'you knew all this before you got involved, it's your own fault', when you've been actively trying to sell this game as the second coming since you've been posting here.

Pure early morning comedy.

Look at the orange statement.  I'm going to say no, Aero you had a lot to do with hyping and misleading, and you should own it like Omnifish said. 

This is Aero's thread Aug. 18th, one week before launch. Titled "Raiding in GW2 **Video**

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360987/page/1

Aero - "Since this has been such a hot topic just wanted to give an example of a raid sample in GW2."

Statments like this is were a lot of the disappointment and backlash comes from. 

no instanced raids.. should be better for you?.. but yes meta events are in fact raids.. but again like many things such as what's a sandbox? you will get 100 differn't opinions on what defines that and what's a MMORPG? that seems to be a hot topic as well

Originally posted by Mahavishnu

OP is right - GW2 is the most flamed and bashed MMO of all times. My theory: There are some people who get payed for.

That way lies tin foil chappeaus and alien mind-control cell phone towers.  Just stop.

Originally posted by bcbully

after 3 BWEs and hundreds of youtube videos what all was really hidden as far as core gameplay? what the game was all about was known for quite sometime.. no raids no stat progressive gear grind.. all that was known for a very long time.. if that's what upset people that's really their own fault..

It actually isn't completely, it is people like you's fault as well because you hyped this game to death so much before release. It's about time you took responsibilty for what you write, you can't say: 'you knew all this before you got involved, it's your own fault', when you've been actively trying to sell this game as the second coming since you've been posting here.

Pure early morning comedy.

Look at the orange statement.  I'm going to say no, Aero you had a lot to do with hyping and misleading, and you should own it like Omnifish said. 

This is Aero's thread Aug. 18th, one week before launch. Titled "Raiding in GW2 **Video**

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360987/page/1

Aero - "Since this has been such a hot topic just wanted to give an example of a raid sample in GW2."

Statments like this is were a lot of the disappointment and backlash comes from. 

And another nonsense post from our friend bcbully. Of course, he conveniently ignores that Aero clearly exposed the difference between classic raids like in EQ, WoW or LOTRO, and the open world raid like encounters in GW2. She clearly said that there are raid like encounters requiring a lot of people to beat, but that they are very different from the time comitment based raids in other games. But let's ignore that and just bash the poster - it's more fun and makes you feel like you are right, in your own mind.

Statements like this is what makes some GW2 fans wonder what people like bcbully are still doing in this forum - spreading lies, partially quoted posts and other misleading information just to bash the game and its players.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

This discussion has been closed.