Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: 21 Things You Should Know About ESO

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Hopefully it has a wide open world to explore at least, like the true ES games or VG, otherwise I'm not going to bite.its bad enough itsa full on theme park.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    So you guys don't think the option to hide in mini game pvp had a detrimental effect on war compared to daoc?

You don't think modern players go for the oath of least resistance as witnessed in swtor and tsw "pvp"?

You don't think having the option of a ffa server (and a pure pve coop server), in addition to the main core ruleset would attract more players and also knock on the head one of the suggest complaints from tes single player fans on these forums, that you can't go anywhere?

You don't think having both a rvr endgame and a tiered raiding endgame will cause problems? e.g. the EQ/wow crowd will want ever inflating gear, the daoc/gw2 crowd wont.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

You don't think having the option of a ffa server (and a pure pve coop server), in addition to the main core ruleset would attract more players and also knock on the head one of the suggest complaints from tes single player fans on these forums, that you can't go anywhere?

I am always surprised when MMOs don't release with multiple rulesets.

It's so elementary logic IMO.

UO, EQ, DAOC, AC, WoW... so many older games gave you ruleset options.

This whole "one size fits all" thing is a myth.

Game devs - is it really that hard to flag a server or two for a different rule set?

Let popular opinion decide how many of each type.

It's not like the servers are tied one to one with physical hardware anymore!

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    They need to unlock races from factions before I'll even consider this game.  That archaic shit is so 2004.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Hopefully it will be something more than the latest 2 month max themepark fest. I really have no answers as to how they could make a themepark last longer unless they have insane amounts of content or they increase leveling time (which make non old school people cry about grind).

I just hope they separate PvP and pve mechanics so pve abilities aren't gutted for PvP reasons.
  • ZeprimusZeprimus Member Posts: 40
    Don't mean this in a negative sense, but this game sounds like a big mix of SWTOR and GW2 with a bit more stat customization. I wasn't too optimistic at first, but I'm starting to get more and more excited.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Are they using the DFUW engine for this?

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Sounds like another Themepark disaster. Ill wait til after release to even consider getting this.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    So you guys don't think the option to hide in mini game pvp had a detrimental effect on war compared to daoc? yes because splitting PvP is bad

You don't think modern players go for the oath of least resistance as witnessed in swtor and tsw "pvp"? Yes I do, but when that path is not there, i.e. everyone is relegated to the same path then this question becomes a moot point.

You don't think having the option of a ffa server (and a pure pve coop server), in addition to the main core ruleset would attract more players and also knock on the head one of the suggest complaints from tes single player fans on these forums, that you can't go anywhere? I dont see the need for a PvE cooperative server, since PvP is already consentual plus what do you do with Cryodill on this server?  As for FFA server, I dont see the need at release but if they was to add one then it wouldnt bother me (unlike the guys who bash me for requesting a DF:UW PvE server with consentual flagging like Asherons Call)  As for the fans crying about not going anywhere I think that point will be lost once the game ships and they see how massive each of the factions main areas.  Plus I ahve yet to receive a valid response to my counter question: When playing Skyrim, Oblivian, Morrowind you cant go to another area so why does all of a sudden the lack of travelling across different zones effect you here but not there?

You don't think having both a rvr endgame and a tiered raiding endgame will cause problems? e.g. the EQ/wow crowd will want ever inflating gear, the daoc/gw2 crowd wont. As it stands now, NOPE!  As long as gear isnt as defining as it is in say WoW.  If I can get the same gear via RvR'ing, or Open ended dungeon crawling, or Raiding, or crafting or instanced dungeon grinding then I am ok with that.  If on the otherhand the best gear comes from say Raiding or RvR'ing, leaving all other forms of endgame behind then yes I have a problem with it.  IMO this is the best thing that GW2 got right.  I do not like being forced to do something I dont enjoy (Raiding) just to have the same power advatage as someone else.

What PvP Mini game?  Its already been stated there will be ZERO battleground/arenas or other forms of instanced PvP.  If you want to PvP you do it in the huge (according to an ESO podcast) zone the size of Oblivian.  In other words its gonna be very large.  This does 2 things that I think GW2 got wrong with in their PvP approach. First the WvW zones are rather small (much smaller then each frontier zone in DAoC) and secondly splitting PvP between sPvP (BG's) and WvW.  I am of the firm opinion that since PvP has been historically the smallest segment of a playerbase you shouldnt try to split them up.

Now if you think Cryodill (ESO's PvP zone) is a mini game, then you've already lost me and nothing I say will convine you otherwise.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by erictlewis

Uhh.  Well I read a few things that makes me go wow thats not cool.  1 hotbar but considering you had no hotbar in skyrim.  Sounds more of a theempark but then there were quests in skyrim. Not happy about the one consumable slot, in skyrim you could put your favorite potions or what not, then ues "q" to bring those up and use them.

Is it still using the hero engine??

It is a themepark but hopefully one with more depth then your average failed WoW clone. 

1 Hotbar is way better then rows and rows of mostly useless situational abilities like WoW, limited hotbars give the designers the flexability in designing really cool skills while keeping balance in check by forcing limitations on what a player can equip at a certain time.  Really this is the same concept that WoW went with in Pandaland expansion with their updated talent tree.  However IMO Mists of Pandaria failed because you still have all the class abilities/skills available and they gutted the talents.  A much better solution and one that I would of loved to play would be to revert the talent system back to Pre Cata 71 point trees and institue the panda talents in place of class skills/abilities.

There was quests in all TES games I played (Morrowing. Oblivian and Skyrim) but just like the single player games, you are free to roam and explore looking for content you want to do instead of being lead down the linear path.  In fact I got to level 60ish in SKyrim and never followed my main stroy line past the first act.

I like the consumable slot but would hopefully liek to see it expand to 2-3 for a bit more flexability.  Its nice to have an MMO that removes the barrier that most limited hotbar MMO's or Action games have such as having to use items directly from your inventory.

ESO is using a heavily modified version of Hero engine, in fact accoring to the Devs, their version removes al lthe issues and limitations that the engine has.  Hopefully they are right but only time will tell.   However all the reviews of the recent press demo have raved on how good the game plays and how much it looks like a TES game.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Uhh.  Well I read a few things that makes me go wow thats not cool.  1 hotbar but considering you had no hotbar in skyrim.  Sounds more of a theempark but then there were quests in skyrim. Not happy about the one consumable slot, in skyrim you could put your favorite potions or what not, then ues "q" to bring those up and use them.

Is it still using the hero engine??

skyrim had a bar.  so did oblivion.  it just wasnt on your screen.  binding spells and weapons to 1-8 and then pressing 1-8 to use them is a hot bar.  and no it's not using the hero engine.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    i dont know why devs have still not realised, themeparks dont work because developpers cannot supply new content fast enough - ESPECIALLY if you need to do everything 3 times in case they want to have 3 distinct different paths - its impossible....one exception might be something like the foundry system in nwo (in case it works...).... a theme park defies the whole idea of tes as a game and i cant really understand this decision - the major aspect of any tes game is exploring which is killed by rail-driven-story completly
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    i dont know why devs have still not realised, themeparks dont work because developpers cannot supply new content fast enough - ESPECIALLY if you need to do everything 3 times in case they want to have 3 distinct different paths - its impossible....one exception might be something like the foundry system in nwo (in case it works...).... a theme park defies the whole idea of tes as a game and i cant really understand this decision - the major aspect of any tes game is exploring which is killed by rail-driven-story completly

tes games also have a main story line.  if both can exist in a single player es game,  why can't they try to do both in a tes mmo?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I have trouble being excited about MMOs anymore, which is bad, since it is my prefered type of game....I am not writing this off, but seems like a lot of 'after launch' features, and I am not big on phasing/story/instancing (which I know is 90% of everything anymore).

I have some hope for EQN.....But I wonder if that is silly to do.  Was watching Archeage....but heck EQN may come to N. America before it does...

• AilingforaleAilingforale Member Posts: 87
    I think I'd be more excited if they said the combat was more akin to Skyrim as apposed to Oblivion/Morrowind.  I didn't appreciate the combat of those two and they tweaked it just right in Skyrim... I feel that would be a step backwards if that were the case.
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

And yet every single TES game had a story you could follow.

ESO is following this and you can chose to do or not to do the story, from evrything I have read and listed to so far, ESO is a TES game through and through without deviation from all the custamry things you are used to in the single player experience. 

Its sad that people get jaded and/or blinded by hate they cant see the writing on the wall.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    They need to unlock races from factions before I'll even consider this game.  That archaic shit is so 2004.

Yes because it's so common on wartime that people from their own country want to fight against the same country. Go back in time to WW2 and tell all the sides involved how archaic shit their way of warfare is since they have mostly only their country men on their side or certain allies. You wont find many americans flying kamikaze japanese airplane against americas own cruisers. It would be equally stupid. They need to change the whole setting and story first to go freeform blah blah never gonna happen.

• TarverArtsTarverArts Member Posts: 1
    People stop say WOW  started MMO's, Ever Quest Online was the first ever MMO (Young Noobs). Far as my concern Elderscrolls online has learned somethng from Ever Quest Online (Being your own game). I have big espectations for this series, Elderscrolls Onine is the first MMO in along time to make storylines and guilds besides Ever Ouest in an whle.

Dude where is my car!

Originally posted by TarverArts
    People stop say WOW  started MMO's, Ever Quest Online was the first ever MMO (Young Noobs). Far as my concern Elderscrolls online has learned somethng from Ever Quest Online (Being your own game). I have big espectations for this series, Elderscrolls Onine is the first MMO in along time to make storylines and guilds besides Ever Ouest in an whle.

EQ wasnt the first but, i forgive you.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by bakabröd
    wow lots of burnouts here.

Burnouts of themepark WoW clones.. Our number grows everyday.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

ESO is using a heavily modified version of Hero engine, in fact accoring to the Devs, their version removes al lthe issues and limitations that the engine has.  Hopefully they are right but only time will tell.   However all the reviews of the recent press demo have raved on how good the game plays and how much it looks like a TES game.

Thats not quite correct, they only used the hero engine as a rough build to design maps etc while they built their own custom engine, a bit like bioware used the aurora engine to start building swtor while they shopped around for the hero engine

"ZeniMax say that HeroEngine helped them to get started. But final version of Elder Scrolls Online will have its own unique engine. Everything in the game’s engine will be written for this game. ESO will be a new MMO with its own features. Developers say that the main difference between ESO and other MMO games will be advanced social features. It is impossible to implement such changes without modifying engine."

link

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Turning a single-player sandbox game into a theme-park MMO seems like an even worse design decision than EA focusing on storytelling and voice overs in SWTOR. Not only that but Zenimax didn't care about how SWTOR failed horribly and are also putting a lot of emphasis in storytelling. 

Well, maybe I'm just the wrong audience.

Tes single player games aren't really sandboxes, they ate kinda hybrids.

Unless you dabbled heavily with the toolset of course. I guess if and only if you have hearthfire then skyrim might be a sandbox.
    TESO is not using the hero engine in the running code.

They are using a modified version of the skyrim engine for the actual game, which itself is a heavily modified version of game bryo which has been used in lots of games, including 3 mmos, daoc, war & rift.

The hero engine is being used to prototype systems before they plug them into the real engine, as its a easy to use engine for quickly putting together ideas.

This Is quite common practice, I've worked on stuff where we prototyped on unity but the working version was on a modified unreal engine. (although I think this is the first time I've heard of people doing this with a mmo)
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Sounds ok but until we see gameplay in action then it is all hype. One thing that did bother me is that yet this will be another single player driven theme park. I guess it just depends on how good the game really is. We'll see.