Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the bashing against GW2

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check
    • Flimsy story full of cliche's?  Check
    • Basic gameplat elements involve targetting something and pushing a button?  Check

The main differences are how you target something, and the setting.  Yes, one of first person, and one is third person, but that doesn't actually change too much.

fixed for you

That was sort of my point, actually.  The main thing that separates an MMO is the PvE content.  The PvP stuff just boiles down to standard FPS paradigms, often times without shame (capture the flag!).  Since GW2 is primarily a PvP game...

considering it actually has a LOT more PVE content than PVP not sure how you could make that claim

I found the PvE content to be boring, repetative, uninspiring, and simplistic.  While that could easily be said for many MMO's, most at least try wrap it all up in an engaging story or atmosphere.  With GW2, the few times something resembling a story cropped up, it was laughibly cliche with poor writing.  I never felt compelled to learn more about the world, and certainly never felt like any of the people in it meant anything to anyone.  Maybe my expectations are too high though.  The real world is certainly full of people who are entertained by the storylines found on jersey shore, or the kardashians.

so yet another person that completely dismisses content and pretends it doesn't exist because it doesn't appeal to them.. got it..

You can put a plate full of cockroaches in front of someone, but unless they like to eat cockroaches, it's not a meal.

difference is a LOT of people really enjoy the PVE side on GW2.. i doubt many enjoy eating roaches

and creslin LOL:P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Rather than continuing the same tired themes recycling as the last three months plus...

Let's talk about baseball.

(Apparently Creslin's discovered a new 4-chan stash of meme photos)?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Rather than continuing the same tired themes recycling as the last three months plus...

Let's talk about baseball.

Okay!

Baseball is like PvE in GW2, something to do when I'm trying to get to sleep.

Edit: Starting to see why Creslin posts so much, this is kinda fun.

Unfortunately, the wrong time of year for it.

I'd talk about the lovlies in the vicky's secret commercial that was just on, but that would be sexist and objectifying.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

difference is a LOT of people really enjoy the PVE side on GW2.. i doubt many enjoy eating roaches

And that's great that some people enjoy it.  But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't enjoy it is somehow misguided or just doesn't "get it" or whatever.  They may not share your opinion, but that doesn't invalidate their opinion.  And, like it or not, the game is getting a reputation for being a bit on the shallow side.  I stopped counting the times I would see a post or comment about how the game is fun, but not worth a sub.  Most of the people "bashing" GW2 aren't saying it's a horrendeous trainwreck.  Just that it's not really a great MMO.  It's just a game that's fun for a bit, but that fun wears thin quickly for a lot of people.

Feel free to keep dismissing all of the complaints though, becuase they obviously just don't get the game.

You make me like charity

Hm, let's see what's new today on youtube...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by stayontarget

People (at least on this site) remember all the trolling that was going on from gw2 fan's so I would expect their is a little bit of payback going on.  Also the hype for gw2 was way to high (remember gw2 can cure cancer folks) and when it did not live up to all the players expectations there is going to be some blowback.

good old retalliation then.. classy..... almost all those absurd claims(cancer, savior, ect) were made by people bashing the game or ones making fun of people bashing the game.. you can go back and look if you wish

Mmm funny I could have sworn i saw you a few times in the Tera forum section a few months back.

Oh the poor TERA and SWTOR forums, how they got anally raped by GW2 fans on a daily basis for months. Now look, 400 hours played in GW2 later and i`m done and just recently went back to TERA.

So much for that game being my savior, although I know GW2 got the last laugh because I knew at least 25 people who left TERA for GW2, 3 came back to TERA, 4 are still in Guild Wars and the rest dissapeared after less than a month in GW2 and never came back to TERA.

GW2 you took my TERA friends and then made them dissapear, curse your existence!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp_PIjc2ga4

always relevant

And that's great that some people enjoy it.  But you seem to think that anyone who doesn't enjoy it is somehow misguided or just doesn't "get it" or whatever.  They may not share your opinion, but that doesn't invalidate their opinion.  And, like it or not, the game is getting a reputation for being a bit on the shallow side.  I stopped counting the times I would see a post or comment about how the game is fun, but not worth a sub.  Most of the people "bashing" GW2 aren't saying it's a horrendeous trainwreck.  Just that it's not really a great MMO.  It's just a game that's fun for a bit, but that fun wears thin quickly for a lot of people.

Feel free to keep dismissing all of the complaints though, becuase they obviously just don't get the game.

actually i see that on almost a daily basis :)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by grimal
    It's called hype backlash.  The bigger the hype, the harder the fall.

after 3 BWEs and hundreds of youtube videos what all was really hidden as far as core gameplay? what the game was all about was known for quite sometime.. no raids no stat progressive gear grind.. all that was known for a very long time.. if that's what upset people that's really their own fault..

Sometimes these games dont play out the way some think they will.  That's why it's a good idea to not over-hype yourself on a game after only playing a few weekends. 

Edit:  You are taking this all rather personally, Aerowyn.  Do you have some sort of investment in this game?

Isn't this a rather odd question from someone who has made 300+ negative posts ?...I think perhaps your motives should be the topic in question here

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    It's called hype backlash.  The bigger the hype, the harder the fall.

after 3 BWEs and hundreds of youtube videos what all was really hidden as far as core gameplay? what the game was all about was known for quite sometime.. no raids no stat progressive gear grind.. all that was known for a very long time.. if that's what upset people that's really their own fault..

Sometimes these games dont play out the way some think they will.  That's why it's a good idea to not over-hype yourself on a game after only playing a few weekends. 

Edit:  You are taking this all rather personally, Aerowyn.  Do you have some sort of investment in this game?

how am I taking it personally? just curious how after all that was known about the game could people feel "cheated"

Just your comments as of late ring of some emotional turmoil.  Also, the sarcasm is more prevalent in your posting.

ahh lol just tired of the same arguments over and over and over.. hence the sarcasm

If a ton of people say something....there must be some truth to it.....

Originally posted by Popori

always relevant

Good, because I'm starting to run short on derails.

Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

yup just like wow is the worst mmo ever made.. see that thrown around here all the time.. MUST be true though

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

People (at least on this site) remember all the trolling that was going on from gw2 fan's so I would expect their is a little bit of payback going on.  Also the hype for gw2 was way to high (remember gw2 can cure cancer folks) and when it did not live up to all the players expectations there is going to be some blowback.

good old retalliation then.. classy..... almost all those absurd claims(cancer, savior, ect) were made by people bashing the game or ones making fun of people bashing the game.. you can go back and look if you wish

Mmm funny I could have sworn i saw you a few times in the Tera forum section a few months back.

Oh the poor TERA and SWTOR forums, how they got anally raped by GW2 fans on a daily basis for months. Now look, 400 hours played in GW2 later and i`m done and just recently went back to TERA.

So much for that game being my savior, although I know GW2 got the last laugh because I knew at least 25 people who left TERA for GW2, 3 came back to TERA, 4 are still in Guild Wars and the rest dissapeared after less than a month in GW2 and never came back to TERA.

GW2 you took my TERA friends and then made them dissapear, curse your existence!

Perhaps if it wasn't true it would be funny...

Originally posted by Popori

always relevant

Good, because I'm starting to run short on derails.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DaLN0AH32s

We're just getting started here.

yup just like wow is the worst mmo ever made.. see that thrown around here all the time.. MUST be true though

I suppose to a lot of people it must be.....  I wonder how many tens of millions have unsubscribed over the years??????

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I suppose to a lot of people it must be.....  I wonder how many tens of millions have unsubscribed over the years??????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvIM8RUPCYE

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

sure TONS have doesn't stop it from being one of the most popular MMOs ever even after all those years.. point is take anything anyone says here with a grain of salt.. but figured that was a given...

Originally posted by sammyeli

LOL i forgot about that one! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPrnduGtgmc

I fear it won't do any good.  Derailment is ultmately even more futile I guess...we now return you folks to your regularly scheduled daily same ole.

I love that video!!!!!!!!!!!!

sure TONS have doesn't stop it from being one of the most popular MMOs ever even after all those years.. point is take anything anyone says here with a grain of salt.. but figured that was a given...

Who doesn't take it with a grain of salt? You...... The game has serious issues for some people. It is perfection for others. No amount of your white knighting is going to change the opinions of the people who dislike it. To them, it is the very core of the game....the mechanics....that they don't like. Does it really matter? Play your game. If you enjoy it...great. There are a lot of people playing it. It isn't a WoW killer, but nobody ever realistically thought it would be. It has a healthy enough population and interests enough people that I am sure it will be around and playable for some time to come.  

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

I think the saying goes
    A hater's gotta hate
    But I'm not from the streets, so I'm not sure about that

Also - I don't how a Common Sub Game gets attacked any differently from any other game.

" Haters gonna hate"

I dislike this term more than almost any other on this site. It takes someTHING someone said about someTHING.  (GW2 in this example) A thing that is not a personal attachemnt for anyone. At least it shouldn't be for a normal person. This statemnt converts that abck into a PERSONAL attack agasint a poster. Someone criticizes GW2, the fan sees it as an attack, internalizes it makes it personal and responds with an adhominem response. You get this upset over someone dissin your game and you get all persoannly worked up and respond with "Hater"? A video game? Really? Open your eyes, look at the world around you. You don't even know what a real hater is. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Oh I understand why their is a lot of bashing lol.

yvne

Enjoy life ladies an gentlemen, peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    You have to realize that all of the GW2 bashing is being done by the vocal minority. Most people are still enjoying the game, even after two months.  This website represents the vocal minority for not only the games listed here, but also for the entire mmo genre. You can't take everything posted here seriously. 
This discussion has been closed.