Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really don't understand the bashing against GW2

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stayontarget
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by stayontarget

People (at least on this site) remember all the trolling that was going on from gw2 fan's so I would expect their is a little bit of payback going on.  Also the hype for gw2 was way to high (remember gw2 can cure cancer folks) and when it did not live up to all the players expectations there is going to be some blowback.

good old retalliation then.. classy..... almost all those absurd claims(cancer, savior, ect) were made by people bashing the game or ones making fun of people bashing the game.. you can go back and look if you wish

Mmm funny I could have sworn i saw you a few times in the Tera forum section a few months back.

when I was still playing the game I was on there yes.. i left and moved on.. i don't stick around weeks and months after I left a game to bash it though... i do talk on swtor sometimes but mostly just about star wars related stuff because I'm a star wars nut not to just bash the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by Torgrim

GW2 is a AAA product right?

There is plenty of content for everyone?

You are not forced into a roll in a dungeon run?

You are not forced to play in your homeland you can travel and meet up friends right?

Ohh, did I forget to say It's buy and play.

Guild Wars 2 have huge amount of content for players to experince when they buy the game and still this game is attacked from all side like a common sub game.

Why is that?

It's a AAA product, sure.

I'd question the "plenty of content for everyone" thing though.  Most of the "content" is shallow, repeatable zerg events.

A lot of people don't feel "forced" into a roll for dungeons.  They play healers and tanks because they like to play healers and tanks.

A lot of games let you travel to play other zones.  That's nothing new.

It is buy and play, but you get what you pay for.  If you really like the zerg-style PvP, then it's great.  It's like a CoD mmo.  The tacked on "storyline" doesn't exactly change that.

As for why people are attacking it, it's probably because a lot of them/us are tired of all the hype for months leading up to the release, about how revolutionary this game was going to be, and how it was going to herald in a new era.  It didn't.  It's just another random psuedo-MMO with little more depth than Diablo x.

I agree it's just like a CoD MMORPG.  In fact, it's a lot like CoD.  The only differences are the fantasy setting, the gameplay, the clases, the itemization, the fact it's a different genre, and basically everything about the game.

otherwise though, TOTAL cod clone.

Call of Duty 4 vs GW2:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check
    • Flimsy story full of cliche's?  Check
    • Basic gameplat elements involve targetting something and pushing a button?  Check

The main differences are how you target something, and the setting.  Yes, one of first person, and one is third person, but that doesn't actually change too much.

You make me like charity

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check
    • Basic gameplat elements involve targetting something and pushing a button?  Check

The main differences are how you target something, and the setting.  Yes, one of first person, and one is third person, but that doesn't actually change too much.

fixed for you

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

You are not forced to play in your homeland you can travel and meet up friends right?

Guild Wars 2 have huge amount of content for players to experince when they buy the game and still this game is attacked from all side like a common sub game.

Why is that?

I'd question the "plenty of content for everyone" thing though.  Most of the "content" is shallow, repeatable zerg events.

A lot of people don't feel "forced" into a roll for dungeons.  They play healers and tanks because they like to play healers and tanks.

It is buy and play, but you get what you pay for.  If you really like the zerg-style PvP, then it's great.  It's like a CoD mmo.  The tacked on "storyline" doesn't exactly change that.

As for why people are attacking it, it's probably because a lot of them/us are tired of all the hype for months leading up to the release, about how revolutionary this game was going to be, and how it was going to herald in a new era.  It didn't.  It's just another random psuedo-MMO with little more depth than Diablo x.

I agree it's just like a CoD MMORPG.  In fact, it's a lot like CoD.  The only differences are the fantasy setting, the gameplay, the clases, the itemization, the fact it's a different genre, and basically everything about the game.

Call of Duty 4 vs GW2:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

GW2 vs Curling:

Structured PvP?  Check

Classes?  Check (curling has sweepers and a shooter)

Has ice?  Check

basic gameplay involves moving hands or arms?  Check

Even looks like GW2:

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

Why is that?

Is sarcasm a requierment to be a spotlight poster? was just wondering seeing i was interested in becoming a spotlight poster and didnt see a list of requirements anywhere.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

GW2 just didnt appeal to me , i maxed lvl and Engi and had a cpl alts to 40-50 , and really it just doesnt have hmmm life.... No flavor, just felt very dry and boring , was really way to easy, the lvling is to easy , the gear is just handed to you or to easy and cheap to get or buy... The crafting is mindless...

Honeastly i enjoyed GW1 more and found more interesting than 2 ....At  least it made you think with the endless skills and builds..

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

Hey look its the usual suspects!

Hi usual suspects!

And what, the topic is bash vs praise?  Interesting!

You never cease to amaze GW2 forums!

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

The bashing is mainly SW:TOR fanbois still mad that their game was a total failure. They will bash every other MMO out there because its how EA groomed them.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394

To answer the OP, haters gonna hate, it's been said before.

In this case, haters are those who are afraid of change.  People are always afraid of things that are different.  Afraid they are going to wipe out whats been established for so long (WoW type MMO's) and afraid their favorite games are going to be obsolete.  This, to them, warrants their mindless and unjustified hatred of the game.  And there are quite a lot of fans of the WoW type MMORPG.

Call of Duty 4 vs GW2:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

GW2 vs Curling:

Structured PvP?  Check

Classes?  Check (curling has sweepers and a shooter)

Has ice?  Check

basic gameplay involves moving hands or arms?  Check

Even looks like GW2:

awsome:)

Originally posted by xAPOCx

Why is that?

Is sarcasm a requierment to be a spotlight poster? was just wondering seeing i was interested in becoming a spotlight poster and didnt see a list of requirements anywhere.

Yes, sarcasm is a requirement, as is irony.

Also, your post above is a good start ;).

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Why is that?

Yes, sarcasm is a requirement, as is irony.

noted =)

• NeadoNeado Member Posts: 1

Having a lv 80 mesmer on maguuma my problem with it and why I no longer play is that after 80 their is nothing of note to do. Sure you can go for the legendary items which take excessive dedication and time to have no better stats and just a different skin. All the instance armor's are of the same stat pool just varying modifiers the power/strength is all on even keal. Now for a PvP centric game this is a cop out at balancing whats their to balance when the math is the same.

Yes you can argue skill dynamic but that becomes stale when you unlock all your primary skills by lv 10 (yes their 67890 skills are gained by leveling but your primary's and 90% of the time use skills are the same from 10-80)

It grows stale its repetative and their is 0 incentive to chase after and 0 motivation to do the grinds do just look different. To put it another way its masterbation without the climax.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I really don't understand the bashing against GW2

What's the confusion?  Surely you remember swtor and the forums.  TSW and the forums.  Every new game since (at least) 2004 and the forums.

Same guys, new alts, change team jackets, and around it goes again.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by slicknslim88

In this case, haters are those who are afraid of change.  People are always afraid of things that are different.  Afraid they are going to wipe out whats been established for so long (WoW type MMO's) and afraid their favorite games are going to be obsolete.  This, to them, warrants their mindless and unjustified hatred of the game.  And there are quite a lot of fans of the WoW type MMORPG.

Why is it that fans of a game feel the need to blindly generalize folks reasons for disagreeing with them?

I see that there are a lot of hateful bashers in these forums, but there are equally as many sarcastic and dismissive defenders here who are just as bad as any.

I deleted my post three times trying to decide if I really even cared enough to comment on one of these dumbass pot vs. kettle threads but in the end, whatever.

Now, on to the next regularly scheduled thread of this type.

Edit:  And to counter:  Fans of GW2 are just chest-thumping neanderthals afraid of quality games with depth!  Teehee, I can fling poo too!

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

That was sort of my point, actually.  The main thing that separates an MMO is the PvE content.  The PvP stuff just boiles down to standard FPS paradigms, often times without shame (capture the flag!).  Since GW2 is primarily a PvP game...

You make me like charity

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

That was sort of my point, actually.  The main thing that separates an MMO is the PvE content.  The PvP stuff just boiles down to standard FPS paradigms, often times without shame (capture the flag!).  Since GW2 is primarily a PvP game...

considering it actually has a LOT more PVE content than PVP not sure how you could make that claim

Originally posted by Popori
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

Why is it that fans of a game feel the need to blindly generalize folks reasons for disagreeing with them?

I see that there are a lot of hateful bashers in these forums, but there are equally as many sarcastic and dismissive defenders here who are just as bad as any.

I deleted my post three times trying to decide if I really even cared enough to comment on one of these dumbass pot vs. kettle threads but in the end, whatever.

Now, on to the next regularly scheduled thread of this type.

Edit:  And to counter:  Fans of GW2 are just chest-thumping neanderthals afraid of quality games with depth!  Teehee, I can fling poo too!

A post that condemns sarcastic statements and then proceeds to make a sarcastic statement itself.

i like your style ;).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Popori

Why is it that {fans of a anything} feel the need to blindly generalize folks reasons for disagreeing with them?

That one's easy.  It's easier to hate once you've assigned them a label and decided what they think.

Humans do it all the freaking time.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

considering it actually has a LOT more PVE content than PVP not sure how you could make that claim

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

I found the PvE content to be boring, repetative, uninspiring, and simplistic.  While that could easily be said for many MMO's, most at least try wrap it all up in an engaging story or atmosphere.  With GW2, the few times something resembling a story cropped up, it was laughibly cliche with poor writing.  I never felt compelled to learn more about the world, and certainly never felt like any of the people in it meant anything to anyone.  Maybe my expectations are too high though.  The real world is certainly full of people who are entertained by the storylines found on jersey shore, or the kardashians.

You make me like charity

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

I found the PvE content to be boring, repetative, uninspiring, and simplistic.  While that could easily be said for many MMO's, most at least try wrap it all up in an engaging story or atmosphere.  With GW2, the few times something resembling a story cropped up, it was laughibly cliche with poor writing.  I never felt compelled to learn more about the world, and certainly never felt like any of the people in it meant anything to anyone.  Maybe my expectations are too high though.  The real world is certainly full of people who are entertained by the storylines found on jersey shore, or the kardashians.

so yet another person that completely dismisses content and pretends it doesn't exist because it doesn't appeal to them.. got it..

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

Damn, that was...

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

so yet another person that completely dismisses content and pretends it doesn't exist because it doesn't appeal to them.. got it..

You can put a plate full of cockroaches in front of someone, but unless they like to eat cockroaches, it's not a meal.

You make me like charity

Themepark MMORPG vs CoD:

• Classes?  Check
    • Itemization?  Check
    • Stuctured PvP?  Check

fixed for you

I can't really think of a game that doesn't require 10x the PvE content of PvP to make it even worth including.  If we're talking the length of time it takes a player to feel they've 'seen it all,' I think it's pretty opinionated.  If we're talking the number of times we've captured a keep vs. killed 10 xxx for a reward, I still think its fairly even.

On story, admittedly, you win.

This discussion has been closed.