Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make GW2 look more crisp, colorful and vibrant.

2»

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

Thanks for this mod. it is amazing. For those complaining, it doesn't make the game look good, blame the players not the tweaker. Since everything is user controlled.

There are plenty of screenshots on official forums and guru 3D which are not too dark, over saturated  or over sharpened. 

I however can not play GW2 witput this again. it will take me weeks to come up with a good settings. currently i am using it for HDR, Bloom and AA. And my FPS has gone up by 10.

Thanks again OP ;)

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Thanks for this mod. it is amazing. For those complaining, it doesn't make the game look good, blame the players not the tweaker. Since everything is user controlled.

There are plenty of screenshots on official forums and guru 3D which are not too dark, over saturated  or over sharpened. 

I however can not play GW2 witput this again. it will take me weeks to come up with a good settings. currently i am using it for HDR, Bloom and AA. And my FPS has gone up by 10.

Thanks again OP ;)

So you think your taste is more important, because this is all about taste. 

Originally posted by Connmacart

Thanks again OP ;)

Who said anything about the taste? i could care less what your taste is.

I am talking about people complaining about over saturation, sharpenign etc which can be easily removed, toned down etc from the settings. I am using this mod mostly for AA and blomm effect and has zero saturation or sharpening because i didn't turn those options on.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Thanks again OP ;)

Who said anything about the taste? i could care less what your taste is.

I am talking about people complaining about over saturation, sharpenign etc which can be easily removed, toned down etc from the settings. I am using this mod mostly for AA and blomm effect and has zero saturation or sharpening because i didn't turn those options on.

This entire thread is about taste. Yet you discount the people who don't like it. sorry, but now you are just being ignorant. These types of mods always remove things or add what shouldn't be there. Most people will never notice this until pointed out though.

This entire thread is about taste. Yet you discount the people who don't like it. sorry, but now you are just being ignorant. These types of mods always remove things or add what shouldn't be there. Most people will never notice this until pointed out though.

Lol this guy!! having a bad day?

I am simply trying to tell people that if you dislike saturation, sharpness etc in videos and screenshots, then you have the option to turn it off. Some people are under impression that these settings are on by default or that you are forced to play with thoe settings.

No need to get personal or call names. To me this mod gave 10 fps increase so i am happy with it. Don't troll me bro!

People read what they want to read. I am not discounting anyones taste infact that is the entire reason why i am telling them to remove saturation and sharpness in settings. Even i have those settings on off.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

He's doing nothing of the sort.

Wauw, how low can these forums go, feeling attacked because another poster comments on people's settings in a tweak tool. Look, he's not insulting your mother or your religion here, no need to get defensive.

All he is saying is that the people who dislike the screens posted, can adjust whatever they dislike. It's not like the tool has one filter and that's it.

He's not discounting anyones taste, the opposite rather, by telling them they can adjust the settings to match their taste.

The entire thread is about the tool and what it can do, not taste. You can adjust it any way you like, and if people get offended that other people don't have the same taste in visual filters, they need to get out more. Sorry.

It's pointless to go into too much detail about these screenshots anyway, since everyone of us is looking at them on differently calibrated screens.

Those oversaturated and dark images might look perfect on the users monitor, if it has a higher gamma and lower color and contrast calibration.

• sodade21sodade21 Member UncommonPosts: 349
    I Really Love sweetFX but it crash GW2 when i use xfire together.... and i want xfire to be able to cap video/compress and upload them automaticaly....... does anyone found a way to make them work together? i know that can run xfire if you disable the in game xfire but thats not an option since then u cannot capture videos.. :/
  • maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

The official forum linked has some discussion on xFire and such.  Not sure if it is just 'turn it off' or if they have a work around.

The PRIMARY reason to use this mod, is not all these filters, that is bonus.  Use it for the SMAA.  I set mine to the ultra preset and can turn off the FXAA in game and not suffer the blurry textures that causes.  This 1 tweak does nothing to the color / saturation / effects, just a better AA process.  You can take this 1 step farther and add a minor Luma Sharpen and then turn on the FXAA in game, the two cancel eachother out if set up right.

Then, after you do that, you can play with the other filters to adjust things.  Your display looks different than mine, and my preferences are different than yours.  The videos are in response to people who say they can't see a difference.  My taste is more saturated colors, higher dynamic range, enhanced detail.  Because of this, my preference is actually great to showcase that this CAN alter the display in more drastic ways.

As for taste comments...

First, there are complaints that with my settings you lose detail in the shadows.  On my display, this can not be further from the truth.  There is SO much more detail, both in actual sharpening and in the depth of color.

What most people are seeing as 'more shadows and loss of detail' is the HDR filter that applies a fake dynamic range to the video.  Again, on my display I can see more of the art and depth in shadows while keeping light nice and bright.  It is very difficult using your monitor controls to get both great lights and darks, the HDR filter accomplishes this.

My wife has this up and running, and I had to turn down the sharpness and turn off the bloom filter (and adjust the HDR filter down a little to compensate for the total image brightness).

Again, different folks different strokes.  Now I would like to say to those with 'harsh' words to back off.  I know what I like to see, I found a great tool (now with a GUI) to accomplish that, and I have no issue showing it off so others can see what you can do.  Too much saturation, you can take the inteligent saturation shader to a negative value and make the game greyscale you artistic bastards.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Run Xsplit + twitch

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

I should add, calibrate your monitor.

If you have been adjusting the brightness, contrast, gamma and saturation to make your games look, right, then your monitor is probably WAY off base.

Example, a lot of people like the nVidia Digital virbance setting set at something between 55% and 60%.  When I calibrated my display, the 50% (disabled) produced the more natural colors.

People tend to up the contrast, lower the gamma, and increase the brightness of their displays to get things to look better.  Mine are calibrated to a natural band with proper gamma control adjusted at the RGB level.

If you take a high contrast monitor, and combine it with my HDR setting, it is going to look bad.

Now take all that above and throw it out.  It doesn't matter how you calibrate your desktop display or how you make it, whatever makes it look best for you.  With this tool, you can then go further and adjust the game specifically to make it look right for your display settings.  Do you like a high Digital Vibrance setting on your desktop but don't like how colorful it makes the game?  You can apply a desaturation.

The HDR is too big of a hit to my FPS. My poor old 8800GT doesn't like HDR much. I would like to play with it a bit more, to get it right for me, but not going to bother since I wouldn't be able to play with it turned on.

However, yes, the SMAA alone is worth it and since I'm CPU bound anyway, there is no performance hit for me at all.

I throw in a bit of lumasharpen, 0.1 vibrance and adjust the s-curve and midtones, for a slighly darker and more saturated image that fixes the "foggy" colors in GW2.

But yes, SMAA alone is well worth it, over the crappy FFXA.

• Jason1989Jason1989 Member Posts: 28

How do you install this? I looked for my guild wars 2 folder an in Program Files(x86) I found it but there are only 3 files inside and their all .dat files. When I try to extract the SweetFX files there is says "file could not be created". I have Windows 7.

Any advice?

Originally posted by Jason1989

How do you install this? I looked for my guild wars 2 folder an in Program Files(x86) I found it but there are only 3 files inside and their all .dat files. When I try to extract the SweetFX files there is says "file could not be created". I have Windows 7.

Any advice?

Can't help you with the extraction ( I use 7z myself ).

But the files go into the folder you mention.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

Another by me:

And this is with only 1 setting on high: textures. rest is on medium or completely turned off and for me it looks better than official screenshots.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Any advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLvDdIrU1A

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96

i love this mod and thanks who ever made it..well for people still cant get it to work what i did before is extract theose files and it crashes even run in administrator, then i notice that thres 1 folder above that i miss so extract all of them and run as admin and it work for me.but im not sure if  those folder fix it for me. but hey my graphics now is more lively than without the mod :)

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by sammyeli

Any advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gLvDdIrU1A

i extract mine to empty folder then just copy paste it and it work ;)

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by maddbomber83

I still say the best way to work this is for someone to sit down at your comp and you say, hey! look what I did!

They then say, I don't see anything different....

Then you turn it off and they go wow, turn that back on!

With that said, below is a link to 4 videos that show it off a bit on my prefered settings.  No noticable hit to frame rate.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvWvNhHN__dXMwRLXMkqZEAHxtMa6ybmU

Okay now I see the difference, very nice. The default look of the game unfortunately is a bit like an old photo which has lost some of it's color and crispiness. Must give this a try.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

No this entire topic is not about taste. it is about finding your own settings to suit your taste. All he was trying to do was to help people know that if players go overboard with saturation, darkness etc. It is not the fault of the tweaker. You can turn everything off or adjust it to your liking.

I have no idea why you are getting so upset though.