Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tornquist gone to new studio

fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Ragnar Tornquist has set up a 'new' studio to spearhead development of Dreamfall Chapters, licensed the rights for Dreamfall from Funcom.  He is still going to keep an advisory role as 'Creative Director' with regards to TSW.  But I think you have to face it as far as Ragnar is concerned he has moved on ... gone as far as TSW is concerned. 

Thinking ahead to all the positive people out there, you just can't spin an advisory role in a good light. People are basically paid for doing nothing more than associating their name/reputation to a product/service.   Ragnar has left the building as far as TSW and started his own studio - good luck to him.

Comments

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Story writing is one of TSW primary strengths. There is some great dialogue and story presentation in the cut scenes and investigation missions. I can’t help but see his absence as a negative for Funcom even though I wish him success in his new endeavor. I am left wondering who is going to take over the story writing duties to expand the game now? Or are they just giving up on it and preparing to resort to grind game play?

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

As I understand it, Tørnquist still works for Funcom as well. The new studio appears to be working from Funcom offices, and Funcom seem have a business deal with Tornquists studio.

As I see it, this is Tornquist doing something he has wanted to do for years part time, and the other part of his time he will still be working with The Secret World. 

For me this wont really change anything, as I still see him working for Funcom writing and doing stories.

Before he was writing the stories while beeing game director. Now he have alot more time on his hands.

I dont really see a problem here, only good things for gamers, Funcom and Tørnquist

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Chtuga

As I understand it, Tørnquist still works for Funcom as well. The new studio appears to be working from Funcom offices, and Funcom seem have a business deal with Tornquists studio.

As I see it, this is Tornquist doing something he has wanted to do for years part time, and the other part of his time he will still be working with The Secret World. 

For me this wont really change anything, as I still see him working for Funcom writing and doing stories.

Before he was writing the stories while beeing game director. Now he have alot more time on his hands.

I dont really see a problem here, only good things for gamers, Funcom and Tørnquist

Thats like saying that when the top Dev's left WoW to work on "Titan" that they never really left the team and that the "Titan" job is only part time.  WoW went spiraling down the drain when this happened or not too long afterwards.  If this person is as people are describing him to be then TSW will certainly be impacted, and most likely in a bad way.  These Dreamfall Chapters will be his main focus.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

My thoughts on Ragnar are that he is a creative genius along with being a real writer. When I say real I mean like epic, with ability far beyond the mmorpg genre. 

I also feel that his leadership role in directing the priorities was at times questionable. For example pushing up the barber shop and cosmetic surgeon on the post launch priorites instead of stabalizing pvp and/or getting the raid out on schedule.

I think joel is a kickass and take names type of guy and that he can competently take TSW in the direction he wants it to go. I just hope he decides to build a "big spalsh" type pvp update sooner than later.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

Actually it sounds like he's able to do what he loves (and is famous for) for both Funcom and Redthread. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/01/keep-the-faith-tornquist-talks-dreamfall-chapters/

It's a pretty good deal when you get to keep your day job (and salary) so you can work on a pet project. ;)

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

another attention grabbing misleading BS thread title.

he is not "gone" here is the press release,  he is working on a new adventure game

http://www.funcom.com/news/pre_production_begins_on_new_game_in_the_longest_journey_saga

"The close working relationship between Funcom and Mr. Tørnquist will allow him to continue on as Creative Director of Funcom’s ‘The Secret World’, in parallel with putting together a team to develop 'Dreamfall Chapters'."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    What is it with funcom and aussies taking over projects?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

he is not "gone" here is the press release,  he is working on a new adventure game

http://www.funcom.com/news/pre_production_begins_on_new_game_in_the_longest_journey_saga

"The close working relationship between Funcom and Mr. Tørnquist will allow him to continue on as Creative Director of Funcom’s ‘The Secret World’, in parallel with putting together a team to develop 'Dreamfall Chapters'."

/sigh... Can we get a lock or title change?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

another attention grabbing misleading BS thread title. he is not "gone" here is the press release,  he is working on a new adventure game   http://www.funcom.com/news/pre_production_begins_on_new_game_in_the_longest_journey_saga   "The close working relationship between Funcom and Mr. Tørnquist will allow him to continue on as Creative Director of Funcom’s ‘The Secret World’, in parallel with putting together a team to develop 'Dreamfall Chapters'."

/sigh... Can we get a lock or title change?

The title is definitely misleading, but we know what his day to day will be involved in.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

The significance this has for me is:

Movement has finally resumed on The Longest Journey series!

"The Longest Journey" and "Dreamfall" are very much Ragnar's babies, as much so, if not more so than TSW is. It's what he's known for and it's what many fans of his work have come to admire him for. He also contributed to the Anarchy Online universe, but not nearly so much.

In any case, this is nothing but good news to me.

Splitting off from Funcom to focus full-time on a new Longest Journey game is an awesome move. Gives him more time and space to focus on the new game(s). I could not be more psyched about this.

• TjommisTjommis Member UncommonPosts: 225
    This is actually great news :)
  • fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

Funcom have now clarified Ragnar remains an employee of Funcom,  he didn't leave to start the new studio he is doing a combined role.

Do people still think Ragnar is having any input/connection with regards to TSW, when he is headed in a different direction and starting a new business.  Those who think that should try starting a new business, they will soon realise you wish they made 25 hour days and 8 day weeks.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by fallenlords

I'm as cofident in TSW as I was day of release. Even through the hard times. Joel and Ragnar got this. 

The game could be doing very well and Ragnar, Joel annouce they are now living in the Funcom offices so they can have 24 hour input into the game. You would still find a way to spin it in a negative way.

Still enjoying TSW and I just bought TLJ and Dreamfall from GOG.com this past weekend to replay the game. (They had a sale, not because I knew of the new TLJ Chapters)

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

With this game the foundataion is already built. They have their strategy, which is to keep releasing stuff like they have already done, in the same fashion.

Im certain that other than the base lore, ragnar didnt do specific writing, and didnt do specific quest layout...really i dont see this boing a huge deal.

Oh...and hes not leaving for a new studio...hes going to work on expanding past funcom products...hes still with funcom.

As misleading as i would expect any post on this forum regarding funcom and their games...to be expected.

Title wasn't misleading at the time re the original linked article. Ragnar has formed a new studio and has licensed the Dreamfall rights from Funcom... presumably at some expense to himself/company.   If you took the blinkers off and looked further than the end of your nose you would realise an advisory role at Funcom is just fluff.   It's there to stop people like yourself being overly upset that Ragnar has moved on.  That's why Funcom was quick to clarify their position and let everybody know he was still an 'employee', before the panic set in.

But I wouldn't worry too much, you have Joel now... who isn't at all implementing the free to play model in the background ...which ironically isn't being funded by the subscribers...

If I was a subscriber, with the news about Ragnar,  I would be as happy as a PS3 owner of Skyrim hearing the announcement of a premium edition.

• gambe1gambe1 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Finally!!! I've been waiting so damn long for new TLY / Dreamfall game. I'm so happy right now ^^
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

The RPS interview clearly states he is still working with the TSW team, yeah I know it's a terrible hit for the haters but it is what it is.

Tørnquist: Yes. I’ll still be contributing a lot to the story side, advising Joel and the team. I’m working on the master story document at the moment, making sure all the threads are coming together and we know where we’re at. I want to make sure the team are as independent as possible but I have no plans to leave. TSW is very dear to me and I plan to stay on as long as possible.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Frankly, I say good for him. For me, TSW was the most interesting mmo of 2012. However, they made the mistake of taking what could have been an amazingly successful niche game and made it a theme park dungeon grinder. I still don't think this was what Ragnar had in mind for it. Better he moves on and works from a position of full control, imo. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by revy66

The RPS interview clearly states he is still working with the TSW team, yeah I know it's a terrible hit for the haters but it is what it is.

Tørnquist: Yes. I’ll still be contributing a lot to the story side, advising Joel and the team. I’m working on the master story document at the moment, making sure all the threads are coming together and we know where we’re at. I want to make sure the team are as independent as possible but I have no plans to leave. TSW is very dear to me and I plan to stay on as long as possible.

It's fallenlords. Everyone and their mother knows he is Funcom's nemesis and just wants this company to burn to the ground and he will not rest until the day it happens. So it's best just to ignore him, as there is no reasoning with that guy.

Like the famous quote from Alfred in Dark Knight: "Some men just want to watch the world burn"

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

As much as I enjoy The Secret World, I'd much rather have him work on a new The Longest Journey game... even at the risk of it hurting TSW...

Because The Longest Journey games are some of the best the adventure genre has ever offered.

So, good call, Ragnar! :)

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

Best news I've seen from FunCom in  like 5 years.

Let's hope he gets to make a proper adventure game (with no cash shop, sub, or WoWified grind).

If he actually goes for his old work, please change the Dreamfall style of UI..

The word naive springs to mind.  Starting a new studio, developing a new game.  Look at the language used in what is being said I will be 'still be contributing' ... 'advising Joel and the team' ... 'working on the master story document'...'make sure the team are as independent as possible'.  Ended with by the way 'I have no plans to leave'.   That is not confident language of somebody even having a minor impact on TSW.  When will you realise they have taken the game off Ragnar and given it to Joel.  They won't say that because of the name and the associations.  This was Ragnar's game .. now he's advising, still be contributing, writing the story... come on.  Is he bothered ask yourself that, yes he is so bothered he licenses the rights for Dreamfall from Funcom and started his own studio.  In other words he taking steps to be independent of Funcom.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Its a Demotion or he's not happy with Funcom, my guess is alittle of both.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

The word naive springs to mind.  Starting a new studio, developing a new game.  Look at the language used in what is being said I will be 'still be contributing' ... 'advising Joel and the team' ... 'working on the master story document'...'make sure the team are as independent as possible'.  Ended with by the way 'I have no plans to leave'.   That is not confident language of somebody even having a minor impact on TSW.  When will you realise they have taken the game off Ragnar and given it to Joel.  They won't say that because of the name and the associations.  This was Ragnar's game .. now he's advising, still be contributing, writing the story... come on.  Is he bothered ask yourself that, yes he is so bothered he licenses the rights for Dreamfall from Funcom and started his own studio.  In other words he taking steps to be independent of Funcom.

So first you lie that Ragnar is leaving the company and starting his own studio, which he did not and then you won't believe him either on the interview he gave because in your own twisted mind you want to watch the world burn for whatever reason, if it helps you sleep at night I guess okay then.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

So first you lie that Ragnar is leaving the company and starting his own studio, which he did not and then you won't believe him either on the interview he gave because in your own twisted mind you want to watch the world burn for whatever reason, if it helps you sleep at night I guess okay then.

Just check his posting history  He has admiited many times that he wants to see Funcom burn to ground. You can not discuss or reason with such people. Sounds like an ex employee who got sacked from the company.