Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forum Moderators get heavy handed

Comments

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by botrytis

I will say this once - THEIR FORUM, THEIR RULES.  Don't like the way they are moderating, don't go there.

pretty much. posting there has caused me nothing but grief, and tbh, i kinda feel abused for doing so. ive left for good, and only use the devtracker. 

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by fenistil
    For few years already official game forums are usually heavy handed.   In almost all mmoprg's. There must have been some research or data-mining that proved that forums are used by bigger amount of players and potential customers than previosuly beleived.

Seems to have gotten really bad with the WoW forums during the end of wotlk. Other companies have adopted the same strat. 

You don't want potential customers seeing bad stuff.

Are you sure things were actually deleted? I thought Bliz only moved threads (even into a deleted folder but still viewable) but never outright deleted them. Even so it is usually very clear why threads were closed or moved.

Damn you had to quote em' T_T

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Brizlyn
    Originally posted by cptndunsel

Players have been pointing out issues with bots, bugs, in-game changes they don't agree with (nerfs, class changes, monthly achievement changes, dungeon loot etc) and for the most part it had been polite feedback.

Now, however, as Anet has failed to address basic items like bots and bugs, has not listened to feedback around their changes in game, and have made other odd moves (such as the recent change in WvWvW to remove Orbs because of hacking issues and Anet inability to fix the game - so poof - gone now along with the bonus to stats they provided) people have become more vocal.

Moderators are now taking a very heavy hand, deleting threads they don't like, issuing bans etc. even if the "complaint" is voiced in non-hostile, non-vulgar way.

This is never a good sign. Moderators have far too much power, restrict the honest exchange of ideas and feedback, and the forums become the realm of fanbois. Same thing occurred with TSW - its not at all player friendly.

Restrict vulgar people -yes. Shut down discussion and feedback on broken elements of the game? Epic fail.

I'm glad the orbs are gone.  Aside from people ninja'ing the orbs with hacks, the orbs were not a good idea in the first place.  Why give the most powerful team even more bonuses to just crush the weaker teams even more easily?  It just didn't make sense.  9 times out of 10 the server in the lead had the orbs - and just made it even harder for the other servers to catch up.

So I'm happy the orbs are gone, but maybe they can replace the orbs with something different.  Actually, something like the buffs the orbs provided might be good as a replacement for the current useless undermanned buff, but that could get sketchy also.

Anyways glad they're gone for now! 

Ummm because they earned it? Do you think the weaker team will do better now? Where in the world did this culture of no reward come from? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

not only is there a sticky about it

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/On-Botting-and-What-We-re-Doing-About-It/first

there's another post by the lead dev

Hey folks,

Since it has been a few weeks since we gave an update on this, just wanted to quickly update where we stand. We recently hired an entire new team of people with one mission in mind: operation bot destruction.

They’ve been getting everything in place to accomplish our goal of making botting, hacking, spamming, and malicious behavior as non-existent as possible in Gw2. In the last few weeks, over 10,000 bot accounts were banned from the game alone. Another area of massive improvement has been in account security, where our two-factor authentication as well as your password changes have led to account thefts dropping to a tiny rate. A vast majority of account thieves use those accounts to run bots and/or perform RMT transactions, so our serious beefing up of account security has led to fewer bots, and most importantly fewer stolen accounts. That being said, we have massive improvements on the way in the next couple of weeks that help us detect, verify, and remove botters.

What we don’t want to do is have someone report you as botting, we ban the account, the bot appeals, and we have no data to prove they were botting on file so we have to give them the account back. Ensuring we have 100% clear data on bots that’s incredibly easy for our GM team to quickly verify, and when an appeal is submitted verify within seconds if the person was truly botting is our most important goal. We don’t want to ban people who were not botting, and we want to keep the people who are permanently locked out.

Bottom line: We’re doing ok, but we know we can and need to do much better on this front and are putting massive resources behind ensuring we have a permanent solution to this issue. You’ll see a dramatic improvement in this area in the next few weeks as our remaining detection and bot destruction tools and staff come online.

We’ll continue to keep updating on this front as we go forward, but rest assured we are aware of issues folks are raising and take them incredibly seriously. From FOV to bots, account restoration to more awesome stuff to do at level 80 we have teams working like mad on all of these fronts.

really not sure what else you want from them.. they said they just got a whole team working on it I know on Rall I haven't seen any bots in over a week now

You know? There really are some fans that should be paid for what they bring to a game or its community. Keep that love alive girl.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by umie214

i agree with OP. i was just issued a "Last Warning" by the mods after too many infractions for not contributing meaningfully to the disccusion. All of my deleted posts were noninflammatory and on-topic. if i keep posting the way i am, im going to get perma banned from the forums apparently. i sent them back a message saying that im too scared to post and that i'll be taking all my discussion over to Reddit and Guru. No response of course. 

this is very unbecoming of a company wanting to build a community, and i think this needs to be exposed. it's getting absolutely ridiculous.

This is what prompted me to post here - same thing happened to me when I questioned why they changed the monthly requirement to now include dungeon runs. I have an 80 with all exotic gear. I have no need for anything that drops in a dungeon yet am now expected to run 3 of these to get the monthly. Amd this change was slid in with the latest patch after Halloween with no real explanation.

Couple this with the fact dungeons are time sinks, drops are meh, and boss loot is worthless to a level 80... my post to them was not vulgar and simply questioned the decision. Bam - deleted and a PM to me.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/On-Botting-and-What-We-re-Doing-About-It/first

Hey folks,

Since it has been a few weeks since we gave an update on this, just wanted to quickly update where we stand. We recently hired an entire new team of people with one mission in mind: operation bot destruction.

They’ve been getting everything in place to accomplish our goal of making botting, hacking, spamming, and malicious behavior as non-existent as possible in Gw2. In the last few weeks, over 10,000 bot accounts were banned from the game alone. Another area of massive improvement has been in account security, where our two-factor authentication as well as your password changes have led to account thefts dropping to a tiny rate. A vast majority of account thieves use those accounts to run bots and/or perform RMT transactions, so our serious beefing up of account security has led to fewer bots, and most importantly fewer stolen accounts. That being said, we have massive improvements on the way in the next couple of weeks that help us detect, verify, and remove botters.

What we don’t want to do is have someone report you as botting, we ban the account, the bot appeals, and we have no data to prove they were botting on file so we have to give them the account back. Ensuring we have 100% clear data on bots that’s incredibly easy for our GM team to quickly verify, and when an appeal is submitted verify within seconds if the person was truly botting is our most important goal. We don’t want to ban people who were not botting, and we want to keep the people who are permanently locked out.

Bottom line: We’re doing ok, but we know we can and need to do much better on this front and are putting massive resources behind ensuring we have a permanent solution to this issue. You’ll see a dramatic improvement in this area in the next few weeks as our remaining detection and bot destruction tools and staff come online.

We’ll continue to keep updating on this front as we go forward, but rest assured we are aware of issues folks are raising and take them incredibly seriously. From FOV to bots, account restoration to more awesome stuff to do at level 80 we have teams working like mad on all of these fronts.

really not sure what else you want from them.. they said they just got a whole team working on it I know on Rall I haven't seen any bots in over a week now

You know? There really are some fans that should be paid for what they bring to a game or its community. Keep that love alive girl.

This is a big money industry playing a game for hundreds of millions of dollors. I'm sure some "fans" do get paid.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    Im feeling like some chinese tonight. Or maybe mexican..  The buffet is just calling my name..
    [mod edit]
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

This is a big money industry playing a game for hundreds of millions of dollors. I'm sure some "fans" do get paid.

i wish

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

Players have been pointing out issues with bots, bugs, in-game changes they don't agree with (nerfs, class changes, monthly achievement changes, dungeon loot etc) and for the most part it had been polite feedback.

Now, however, as Anet has failed to address basic items like bots and bugs, has not listened to feedback around their changes in game, and have made other odd moves (such as the recent change in WvWvW to remove Orbs because of hacking issues and Anet inability to fix the game - so poof - gone now along with the bonus to stats they provided) people have become more vocal.

Moderators are now taking a very heavy hand, deleting threads they don't like, issuing bans etc. even if the "complaint" is voiced in non-hostile, non-vulgar way.

This is never a good sign. Moderators have far too much power, restrict the honest exchange of ideas and feedback, and the forums become the realm of fanbois. Same thing occurred with TSW - its not at all player friendly.

Restrict vulgar people -yes. Shut down discussion and feedback on broken elements of the game? Epic fail.

I'm glad the orbs are gone.  Aside from people ninja'ing the orbs with hacks, the orbs were not a good idea in the first place.  Why give the most powerful team even more bonuses to just crush the weaker teams even more easily?  It just didn't make sense.  9 times out of 10 the server in the lead had the orbs - and just made it even harder for the other servers to catch up.

So I'm happy the orbs are gone, but maybe they can replace the orbs with something different.  Actually, something like the buffs the orbs provided might be good as a replacement for the current useless undermanned buff, but that could get sketchy also.

Ummm because they earned it? Do you think the weaker team will do better now? Where in the world did this culture of no reward come from? 

Never said I was against rewards for doing well, but I am against rewards that alter the balance of WvW in a way that makes no sense whatsoever/inhibits a fair playing field.

I'm sure there are other ideas for carrots that could be come up with.  Maybe at the end of each round, currently weekly, the winning server get's a chest similar to when you complete your daily's with bonus badges, some money, or something.  Over time maybe they add more cosmetic stuff you can buy with badges since current selection is limited.  Just tossing out anything I can think of, but I'm sure there are better ideas.

Anything that doesn't unbalance the field of play like when my server had all three orbs, I literally had 5k more hit points as just one of the bonuses, just making it that much harder for the struggling servers to take me down.  What challenge is that when you're already beating their ass? lol

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

i wish

Where do I sign up?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Toxia

Here are a few threads i found with a quick search, they are still going and not locked or nothing....

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Getting-Fed-Up

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Orbs-will-be-removed-from-WvW-in-an-upcoming-build

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Why-Orb-Removal-Will-be-Very-Bad-for-WvW

so yeah, if they are deleting threads, its most likely because they are duplicates.

They seem oddly random about it to me.  They obviously let a lot of complaining slide, but then crack down on little things, like using too many caps in a post.  Not all caps, mind you.  Just too many.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I wonder where the culture of "we proved we were good, now our reward should make us virtually invincible" came from.  Yes, players/teams that win should be rewarded things like trophies for doing well.  Why should a powerful team become even more powerful because they earned some rewards?  Should the Patriots, Steelers, or Giants become more powerful because they won some Super Bowls?

Doesn't anyone believe in parity anymore?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

I beleive in most professional sports the worse you do in a season the higher your drafts picks are next year or something to the effect.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Hey folks,

Speaking from experience ?....just don't get paid in stocks right ?

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

Hey folks,

that post was essentially made in response to Lewis B's article about hack/exploits.  if Lewis would have never published that Anet would have stayed silient.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

If people starts attacking ArenaNet with insults of course they are going to ban them and delete their threads. If they discuss like a real mature human being they won't. ArenaNet however already know of this problem and they have answered players feedback, they have banned more than 10 000 bots and that was a few weeks ago and they have fixed WvWvW by increasing server trasnfer from 1 day to 1 week. The bug that makes you invisible in WvWvW is also fixed i think.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

If people starts attacking ArenaNet with insults of course they are going to ban them and delete their threads. If they discuss like a real mature human being they won't. ArenaNet however already know of this problem and they have answered players feedback, they have banned more than 10 000 bots and that was a few weeks ago and they have fixed WvWvW by increasing server trasnfer from 1 day to 1 week. The bug that makes you invisible in WvWvW is also fixed i think.

sure...

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

The moderation team does a poor job on those forums. They hand out infractions like candy until people get suspensions for point accumulation. If some one reports your post, you get an infraction. It's that bad.

They used to tell you the reason and alert you if you got an infraction with poor reasons like 'wasn't adding to the discussion of the thread' when it was but taken out of context because you can't hit the quote buttons. Now they don't even alert you if you get an infraction. The only time you find out you got a bunch of infractions is when you're suspended. Even then they do not tell you the reason.

Their e-mails for appeals don't even respond. It maybe their forums, but they certainly doing their best to prevent their players from using it as one and instead turning it into a second wiki.

Pretty much made an official complaint to their support team and moved on. The forums be whack there. Only post rarely with a robotic mono-tone, because any other tone can be interpreted as hostile. Fun isn't allowed there.

Another example, they recently locked a thread in general discussion, about new whale corpses on the beaches of Lions Arch.  Mod said it was "off topic"

Sure, it was a terrible thread.  The OP was being ridiculous.. but off topic?  They use that as an excuse to lock anything, it seems.  Doesn't create a good atmosphere, when posters never know what'll get an infraction, locked, or deleted, no matter how well they try to follow rules.  It just creates a facade, and I'm disappointed in them for being ok with that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Another example, they recently locked a thread in general discussion, about new whale corpses on the beaches of Lions Arch.  Mod said it was "off topic"

Sure, it was a terrible thread.  The OP was being ridiculous.. but off topic?  They use that as an excuse to lock anything, it seems.  Doesn't create a good atmosphere, when posters never know what'll get an infraction, locked, or deleted, no matter how well they try to follow rules.  It just creates a facade, and I'm disappointed in them for being ok with that.

Seriously, that guy was complaining about pixel whales in a video game viewed by a 12+ year adolescent... there's more violence in an episode of clone wars or some random japanese manga kids watch today.

What comes next - PETA trying to remove all animals from the game because we can kill them? Hell, GW2 also has use of alcool, what about that?

The moderator was perfectly right to lock that thread - it could have gone nowhere good, and was just an example of typical selective hypocrisy of a specific supset of the population.

EDIT: I went to have a look at the whales - there a NPCs tending them, and you have water buckets all around them - you can be pretty sure there will be an event to save them.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

I agree, as I said, the OP was being ridiculous.  I just don't agree that's a good enough reason for moderation.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I once got warning from Anet mod for spamming. Due to glitch in the forums my reply got posted three times. I was infracted. I tried to reason with him but he said that infraction can not be retracted. I think mods are a little too jumpy over there.
  • zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242

Sounds like a cover up to me, they dont want too many players knowing about bugs, as it will lead to even more players giving up and moving on to another game!

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by zastroph

Sounds like a cover up to me, they dont want too many players knowing about bugs, as it will lead to even more players giving up and moving on to another game!

GW2 has more bugs than star ship troopers. I really doubt they can cover something of such magnitutde. I believe they are just getting frustrated because even they know that its been 2 months since release and players are now getting impatient.