Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Find out what wasn't answered in the Q&A

Comments

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Oh and on short note the Darkfall community from early days(not all but many) have ruined there own game by zerging(specially first 3 months)splitting up community with there crys how they want there own US server or macroing/bloodwalling/exploiting/hacking resulting in this DFUW thank you many big clans(most know witch ones specially exploiting alot from day one) who exploiting the living daylights out of the game in early days:(

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Zerglet
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Originally posted by bcbully As a newb to the game (played for like a week a year ago) none of the changes effect me. I see where a lot of vets show how A will be better than the new B, and I respect and agree with most of the issues.   The game will still be good though right? They had to do something in order for a new game to be made so that they could launch again. All I'm saying is that from the outside looking in, the good of a launching a new game out weighs the bad of the changes.    

Wrong.

They had 100k willing and able players at their 2009 launch,

Thats complete BS.  It was a staggered release with a fraction of that intially, that's why people had to wait weeks to purchase.

Keep digging that hole image

Actually you are wrong, they did have 100k+ willing and able players at launch, 30-40k actual players managed to purchase a game.

If you had watched the Aventurine documentary you would have known this, and you would also have known that in the end they sold 150.000 copies of Darkfall 1 and broke even, paid back their debt.

How the hell are 100000 willing and able , if only 30-40K managed to purchase the game? image

<span a"="">

a·ble  (imageimagebimagel)adj. a·bler, a·blest 1. Having sufficient power or resources to accomplish something
  • ZergletZerglet Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Classicstar

Oh and on short note the Darkfall community from early days(not all but many) have ruined there own game by zerging(specially first 3 months)splitting up community with there crys how they want there own US server or macroing/bloodwalling/exploiting/hacking resulting in this DFUW thank you many big clans(most know witch ones specially exploiting alot from day one) who exploiting the living daylights out of the game in early days:(

You can't blame this on the players.

Aventurine should have introduced a skill-cap system and regional banking and resources right away, the entire problem was clans being able to expand their empire endlessly through the globalized state of the game.

A skill-cap should have been put in place right in the first weeks, the grind would have been completely justified and people would have hit their goals much sooner. And at the same time it would have addressed the jack-of-all-trades and magic imbalance issues we are still dealing with today.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467

Originally posted by bcbully As a newb to the game (played for like a week a year ago) none of the changes effect me. I see where a lot of vets show how A will be better than the new B, and I respect and agree with most of the issues.   The game will still be good though right? They had to do something in order for a new game to be made so that they could launch again. All I'm saying is that from the outside looking in, the good of a launching a new game out weighs the bad of the changes.    

Wrong.

Thats complete BS.  It was a staggered release with a fraction of that intially, that's why people had to wait weeks to purchase.

Actually you are wrong, they did have 100k+ willing and able players at launch, 30-40k actual players managed to purchase a game.

If you had watched the Aventurine documentary you would have known this, and you would also have known that in the end they sold 150.000 copies of Darkfall 1 and broke even, paid back their debt.

How the hell are 100000 willing and able , if only 30-40K managed to purchase the game? image

a·ble  (imageimagebimagel)adj. a·bler, a·blest 1. Having sufficient power or resources to accomplish something

Best guesses i have seen around launch is that there were about 15k around launch time, This was best estimate off of early /who lists taking into account that it was broken and wouldn't delete rerolled chars. It kind of fits in with server max cappacity and  queues that took place early on.

:)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 

Wrong.

<span a"="">

You must be full-on retarded right? 100k players were willing to play the game but were not able to purchase it because Aventurine throttled the sales because they did not have the capacity.

Youre the one that typed it, making it sound like they were there at release.  Hell, Darkfall didnt even hit 100000 in 2009

But, you obviously have no problem misleading people.(admitted in op)

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Classicstar Oh and on short note the Darkfall community from early days(not all but many) have ruined there own game by zerging(specially first 3 months)splitting up community with there crys how they want there own US server or macroing/bloodwalling/exploiting/hacking resulting in this DFUW thank you many big clans(most know witch ones specially exploiting alot from day one) who exploiting the living daylights out of the game in early days:(

Aventurine should have introduced a skill-cap system and regional banking and resources right away, the entire problem was clans being able to expand their empire endlessly through the globalized state of the game.

A skill-cap should have been put in place right in the first weeks, the grind would have been completely justified and people would have hit their goals much sooner. And at the same time it would have addressed the jack-of-all-trades and magic imbalance issues we are still dealing with today.

Exploiting and cheating you can always blame on players in 2 years ive played ive never AFK macro exploited or cheat in any way.

The beauty of DFO was you did not need cheating the game was awesome ive soloed for most part and still pvped alot and explored all over the world bind in chaos towns without ever cheating.

Sure AV could have done alot to prefend this cheating but players are for most part to blame.

I wont say witch clans where famous for exploiting from day one but they have imbalanced the game from start and after that there was no stopping others from macro 24/7 to keep up with them thats still no excuse.

But it dont matter DFO 1.0 is soon gone we get some half ass follow up im totally not interested in hehe.

And result is DFUW as i see it.

I leave it to new players and those who still like what AV makes, so i say to them good luck and hope you have fun thats all what matters not my view on subject:)

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Regional banking! ROFL, Proof positive you didn't actualy play DF to any great level, or worse you did and have no idea that what you are talking about is utterly pointless and would only detract from the game by adding more hastle and more grind...and we all love more grind, lol.

You are an idealist who's games only ever work in your head or on paper without any way to disprove yourself  reinforcing your own delusions.

O.K we get it, you don't like DF...save us the hastle of reading all your bull though and run along to find that game you always dreamed of...sigh xD

"Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I think people need to remove darkfall on the pedestal and play their new free game on the 20th. If you don't like what you see, quit. 
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I think people need to remove darkfall on the pedestal and play their new free game on the 20th. If you don't like what you see, quit. 

I'll bet you $20 the OP will be there with bells on and a box of tissues.

Originally posted by Classicstar Oh and on short note the Darkfall community from early days(not all but many) have ruined there own game by zerging(specially first 3 months)splitting up community with there crys how they want there own US server or macroing/bloodwalling/exploiting/hacking resulting in this DFUW thank you many big clans(most know witch ones specially exploiting alot from day one) who exploiting the living daylights out of the game in early days:(

Exploiting and cheating you can always blame on players in 2 years ive played ive never AFK macro exploited or cheat in any way.

The beauty of DFO was you did not need cheating the game was awesome ive soloed for most part and still pvped alot and explored all over the world bind in chaos towns without ever cheating.

Sure AV could have done alot to prefend this cheating but players are for most part to blame.

I wont say witch clans where famous for exploiting from day one but they have imbalanced the game from start and after that there was no stopping others from macro 24/7 to keep up with them thats still no excuse.

But it dont matter DFO 1.0 is soon gone we get some half ass follow up im totally not interested in hehe.

And result is DFUW as i see it.

I leave it to new players and those who still like what AV makes, so i say to them good luck and hope you have fun thats all what matters not my view on subject:)

Solid rational responce to the entire Darkfall experience. OP could learn a thing or two here ^^. Although i will reserve the half assed judgement until after i have given it a whirl for a while.

Originally posted by Oriphus
    Og

Best guesses i have seen around launch is that there were about 15k around launch time, This was best estimate off of early /who lists taking into account that it was broken and wouldn't delete rerolled chars. It kind of fits in with server max cappacity and  queues that took place early on.

That sounds reasonable,  I thought the initial wave was supposed to be around 20K.   Its hard to remember last month, let alone 2009.image Regardless, it was ugly and not remotely close to 100000.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Gdemami

They had 100k willing and able players at their 2009 launch.

Ugh...source?

Darkfall did sell over 100K copies in its lifetime, but sure as hell wasn't at release. Secondly youve already been provided a source link the last time you question the numbers.

You know they had 200k  for beta registration  ?  That means 200k have been intrested in the initially vision of Darkfall. 

The resulting number of 100k  wich was announced i think 1 year after release can be accounted firstly  to
    AV's incapability to respond technically to this demand and secondly by the disappointement  many players regarding the gameplay.  

Doesn't here ring a bell for DF UW realese ? today in the same situation many of DF's potential playerbase are worrying about the gameplay features and are worrying about the incompetence AV's for a clean release, hell the similarities with the no info strategy pre DF and pre DF UW  are astounding.

btw the last official number was 150k sold copies of which  only 10k -15k have become customers.

And it looks like for this laucnh there is even MORE diabled and less features and sandbox then on the last launch.

get  real.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Ugh...source?

Darkfall did sell over 100K copies in its lifetime, but sure as hell wasn't at release. Secondly youve already been provided a source link the last time you question the numbers.

You know they had 200k  for beta registration  ?  That means 200k have been intrested in the initially vision of Darkfall. 

The resulting number of 100k  wich was announced i think 1 year after release can be accounted firstly  to
    AV's incapability to respond technically to this demand and secondly by the disappointement  many players regarding the gameplay.  

Doesn't here ring a bell for DF UW realese ? today in the same situation many of DF's potential playerbase are worrying about the gameplay features and are worrying about the incompetence AV's for a clean release, hell the similarities with the no info strategy pre DF and pre DF UW  are astounding.

btw the last official number was 150k sold copies of which  only 10k -15k have become customers.

And it looks like for this laucnh there is even MORE diabled and less features and sandbox then on the last launch.

get  real.

200k were interested over what time period? 100k after a year is to be balmed on AV (eh?) by AV not being able to meet the demand?? I bought the game without any issues at all..it was throtle realease over not a very long time and then open for anyone to buy it so what you are saying makes zero sense. Then you state that the other part of the reason sales were so low was due to people not liking the game play, lol if you can't see the paradox here i don't know what to say.

anything else you have said, I have no idea if this game will be better or worse than DF1. When i buy it and play it I will be sure to completly forget about this irrelevant Thread. :)

Ugh...source?

get  real.

200k were interested over what time period? 100k after a year is to be balmed on AV (eh?) by AV not being able to meet the demand?? I bought the game without any issues at all..it was throtle realease over not a very long time and then open for anyone to buy it so what you are saying makes zero sense. Then you state that the other part of the reason sales were so low was due to people not liking the game play, lol if you can't see the paradox here i don't know what to say.

anything else you have said, I have no idea if this game will be better or worse than DF1. When i buy it and play it I will be sure to completly forget about this irrelevant Thread. :)

ok i will it make in smaller chunks for you.

i even mention the point in time, you better focus while  reading next time. 200k registered for beta.

The game has been released february 2009 and this was the announcement at June the 24th

"As a result of these optimizations we’ve also been able to keep sales open most of the time. We’re still being careful because Darkfall resubscription rates remain very high even though this is a time for exams and/or vacations. It’s still difficult to buy Darkfall but we hope that after the US servers have launched it will be easier for new players to learn about and to buy Darkfall."

You have bought the game without any problem ?  try to play lucky games because you could be the one under millions who wins..well for the vast majority the reality looked different.

Sure its possible to have been disappointed. AV used the same policy regarding information and beta like today. Many players believed in the FAQ and the website and the information Tasos was publishing  and after they got into the game they found a big gap between the real gameplay and what was published on the site.

From 200k potential playerbase and 100k sold copies after a year only 10k - 15k remaned because of technically incompentece or lacking gameplay.

With no open beta, with so many disabled feateres and lack of sandbox content and content for different playstyles and with the track record of AV being unable to respond to technically difficulties efficiently its safe to assume this can happen with DF UW with high probability too.

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Ugh...source?

WTF does that have to do with anything?  Mortal Online has 188,534 forum members, does that mean they have that kind of player base?  image

"btw the last official number was 150k sold copies of which  only 10k -15k have become customers."

That doesnt even make sense,...if they sold 150000 copies, they had 150000 customers.

What point are you trying to make???

Ugh...source?

WTF does that have to do with anything?  Mortal Online has 188,534 forum members, does that mean they have kind of player base?  image

"btw the last official number was 150k sold copies of which  only 10k -15k have become customers."

That doesnt even make sense,...if they sold 150000 copies, they had 150000 customers.

You make no sense and aren't willing to understand is like alking to a brick.

is the main point of MMO's to sell copies of the game or to host servers and maintain ACTIVE playerbase and its subscriptions ?

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222

Instead of relying on actual sandbox mechanics and implementing missing content from the game they started combining ideas and mechanics from themepark and arena style games. After the initial playerbase dissipated only the PvP crowd remained active and that's what DF:UW is geared towards.

It's a completely different game for a completely different kind of playerbase. The players that quit early on DF1 will find even less in DF:UW of what they already found lacking in DF.

Could you be so kind to elaborate on your statements. They already have a heavy focus on sandbox features ingame, what creates a demand for more sand, and what makes you think they havent? Why are these supposedly 'themepark' and 'arena style game' mechanics bad, and what are they? What makes DFUW 'a completely different game for a completely different kind of playerbase?' From the overview we've gotten from community Q/A, it feels pretty clear that the game hasnt drastically changed in ways you dramatically describe.

Yes, the initial playerbase did decrease, but that was also due to systems strengthening and narrowing it down for the Griefer gameplay. While I love this, having options for diversity is also great as I prefer a society with different interests. This is an approach theyre taking to expand their playertypes, so that the crafters for instance can hang out safely in the city. Sooner or later you'll come across them in other parts of the world when farming mats, heck it can be even more fun killing a non griefer. And then you have the removal of load lag and most likely scripts - which wasnt hardcore in the first place. These feats are a direct counter argument to your statement claiming that "The players that quit early on DF1 will find even less in DF:UW of what they already found lacking in DF.'

Ugh...source?

get  real.

ok i will it make in smaller chunks for you.

i even mention the point in time, you better focus while  reading next time. 200k registered for beta.

The game has been released february 2009 and this was the announcement at June the 24th

"As a result of these optimizations we’ve also been able to keep sales open most of the time. We’re still being careful because Darkfall resubscription rates remain very high even though this is a time for exams and/or vacations. It’s still difficult to buy Darkfall but we hope that after the US servers have launched it will be easier for new players to learn about and to buy Darkfall."

You have bought the game without any problem ?  try to play lucky games because you could be the one under millions who wins..well for the vast majority the reality looked different.

Sure its possible to have been disappointed. AV used the same policy regarding information and beta like today. Many players believed in the FAQ and the website and the information Tasos was publishing  and after they got into the game they found a big gap between the real gameplay and what was published on the site.

From 200k potential playerbase and 100k sold copies after a year only 10k - 15k remaned because of technically incompentece or lacking gameplay.

OK, I will try my best to make this easier for you or though I am not sure how.

200k showed interest in the beta......OVER WHAT TIME PERIOD!

"From 200k potential playerbase and 100k sold copies"  This statement makes really makes no sense other than to try and find an angle to fling poop in AV's direction for no reason. You can't say in the same sentence that 200k people really really wanted to buy darkfall yet even though there were no restrictions on purchase of Darkfall after the first few months of release.....a full year later only 100k people had bothered their arse to buy it.  Putting a cap on players allowed in to game based on what the size of your dev team believe they can handle in its early days is the right way to do things, any other way is just down right irresponsible.

As for a 10% retention rate, I am not sure how far off the mark of other games that is but really that is not a suprise to me, besides some of the issues that darkfall did have that lost some customers along the way, the main loss was from people unable to handle the extremely hardcore nature of full loot pvp any where any time, lack of character diversity and insane grind that the game was based around, now that they are addressing these very issues you get people screaming that they are dumbing the game down......

You can't please everyone, go figure.

Ugh...source?

WTF does that have to do with anything?  Mortal Online has 188,534 forum members, does that mean they have kind of player base?  image

You make no sense and aren't willing to understand is like alking to a brick.

is the main point of MMO's to sell copies of the game or to host servers and maintain ACTIVE playerbase and its subscriptions ?

Please take a moment and think about what youre trying to say.  

Anyway, we can safely say 100's of thousands had an interest in Darkfall 1 over the years. Darkfall2 is improving on many of Darkfalls release shortcomigs and will only have two servers that can support "10000 concurrent" . Those servers remaining full is all up to AV.

• ZergletZerglet Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by ayronamic

Instead of relying on actual sandbox mechanics and implementing missing content from the game they started combining ideas and mechanics from themepark and arena style games. After the initial playerbase dissipated only the PvP crowd remained active and that's what DF:UW is geared towards.

It's a completely different game for a completely different kind of playerbase. The players that quit early on DF1 will find even less in DF:UW of what they already found lacking in DF.

Could you be so kind to elaborate on what you mean here. They already have a heavy focus on sandbox features ingame, what creates a demand for more sand, and what makes you think they havent? Why are these supposedly 'themepark' and 'arena style game' mechanics bad, and what are they? What makes DFUW 'a completely different game for a completely different kind of playerbase?' From the overview we've gotten from community Q/A, it feels pretty clear that the game hasnt drastically changed in ways you dramatically describe.

Yes, the initial playerbase problably did decrease, but that was also due to systems strengthening and narrowing it down for the Griefer gameplay. While I love this, having options for diversity is also great as I prefer a society with different interests. This is an approach theyre taking to expand their playertypes, so that the crafters for instance can hang out safely in the city. Sooner or later you'll come across them in other parts of the world when farming mats, heck it can be even more fun killing a non griefer. And then you have the removal of load lag and most likely scripts - which wasnt hardcore in the first place. These feats are a direct counter argument to your statement claiming that "The players that quit early on DF1 will find even less in DF:UW of what they already found lacking in DF.'

I'm going to keep it short and to the point.

In a sandbox game you provide players the tools and means to mold the world in their vision and playstyle, in Darkfall players jump through dev imposed hoops much like you do in other themepark games.

If you came to Darkfall to fulfill a role other than just PvP then you are going to find even less in DF:UW. There is no use for ships, siege equipment and transport of goods. There are no incentives or meaningful purposes to fulfill any roles or playstyle other than PvP.

If you want to be a trader, politician, crafter, adventurer, explorer, pirate, mercenary, courier, transporter, sailer or whatever else you can think of: Skip Darkfall

Originally posted by ayronamic

Could you be so kind to elaborate on what you mean here. They already have a heavy focus on sandbox features ingame, what creates a demand for more sand, and what makes you think they havent? Why are these supposedly 'themepark' and 'arena style game' mechanics bad, and what are they? What makes DFUW 'a completely different game for a completely different kind of playerbase?' From the overview we've gotten from community Q/A, it feels pretty clear that the game hasnt drastically changed in ways you dramatically describe.

Yes, the initial playerbase problably did decrease, but that was also due to systems strengthening and narrowing it down for the Griefer gameplay. While I love this, having options for diversity is also great as I prefer a society with different interests. This is an approach theyre taking to expand their playertypes, so that the crafters for instance can hang out safely in the city. Sooner or later you'll come across them in other parts of the world when farming mats, heck it can be even more fun killing a non griefer. And then you have the removal of load lag and most likely scripts - which wasnt hardcore in the first place. These feats are a direct counter argument to your statement claiming that "The players that quit early on DF1 will find even less in DF:UW of what they already found lacking in DF.'

I'm going to keep it short and to the point.

In a sandbox game you provide players the tools and means to mold the world in their vision and playstyle, in Darkfall players jump through dev imposed hoops much like you do in other themepark games.

If you came to Darkfall to fulfill a role other than just PvP then you are going to find even less in DF:UW. There is no use for ships, siege equipment and transport of goods. There are no incentives or meaningful purposes to fulfill any roles or playstyle other than PvP.

If you want to be a trader, politician, crafter, adventurer, explorer, pirate, mercenary, courier, transporter, sailer or whatever else you can think of: Skip Darkfall

ROFL, more lies, even worse lies at this point.

No use for ships?? did you even play darkfall lol, no use for seige equipment? wtf are you talking about...seriously. If you wanted to set yourself up as a transporter of goods there was nothing stopping you at all...or did you need the devs to make some theme park thing for you to be able to achieve this?

Yes you can be a trader lots were in DF..nothing has changed, politician - my god the largest part of the game is about politics, crafter - yes yes i know and knew many many dedicated crafters, adventurer and explorere - one of my personal favourite things to do in darkfall, pirate - i knew a pirate clan in darkfall..they attacked one of our holdings everyday, we used to set sail and have many sea battles with them...oh i just give up here all...everything you said are not just attempts to stretch some truth they are just blatent lies. I am starting to feel like i am being trolled hard >.>

EDIT: what is sad is that i agree in principle with your post and your general view of the game...it would be great if they added lots more fluff, lots more tools, lots more sandbox, would just make the game even better. But why you need to resort to all the lies and hate i just don't get it, just because you didn't get what you want. Spoilet brat much. Darkfall was still a fantastic game. The best i personaly have ever played (and i am not new around the block, my first game was The Oracles Cave). Could it be better? OFC...but it does not deserve all the crap you want to throw at it.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Zerglet                                                                                                                                                                         I'm going to keep it short and to the point.

There are many types of sandboxes with different tools and how far they allow players to stretch. You can do this in DFUW, and certainly hasnt changed from DF, as you nicely put it "to mold the world in their vision and playstyle". Politics and sieges, and politics doesnt have to end in PvP, as theres negotiations. It could sound more like this game isnt for you, perhaps Embers of C truly is for you, though I cant see the sharp differences.

You can fullfill any role as everyone can play anything with their 1 character, just not at the same time.

We do not know at this point how effective ships will be, but theyre there for a reason, and if they were to be less useful at least itll be nice for 'adventurers and explorers'. You can trade in the cities or wait for post-launch AH. Politics we've already been into. They have a merc system as described in Q/A. Rest I dont have specfics about but overall your imagination is the limit. Just because the systems strenghtens the chances for PvP being the superior direction, it doesnt mean that you arnt able to do the other things you listed as useless.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Did you even play Darkfall?  

Almost all of that was done and possible.

You are priceless image

My guess is yes.  For one hour, at a goblin spawn, close to launch, with lots of deaths.

Originally posted by jdlamson75

You are priceless image

My guess is yes.  For one hour, at a goblin spawn, close to launch, with lots of deaths.

Beside politics which i guess are possible in any MMO because they depend on human communication and well AV can't sabotage it even when they rtry it through dumb chat mechanics everything  else is shallow playstyle in DF.

Is possible isnt same as is enjoybale and intresting and gets supported by gameplay mechanics.

Many gameplayplay mechanics even counteract some playstyles like global banking and global ressources for trader courrier , transporter etc.

With DF UW we gettinmg global AH which will eliminate them once and for all.

Originally posted by jdlamson75

You are priceless image

Beside politics which i guess are possible in any MMO because they depend on human communication and well AV can't sabotage it even when they rtry it through dumb chat mechanics everything  else is shallow playstyle in DF.

Is possible isnt same as is enjoybale and intresting and gets supported by gameplay mechanics.

Many gameplayplay mechanics even counteract some playstyles like global banking and global ressources for trader courrier , transporter etc.

With DF UW we gettinmg global AH which will eliminate them once and for all.

So according to your post that still leaves:  trader, politician, crafter, adventurer, explorer, pirate, mercenary,  sailor  imageimageimage Secondly, those roles are as deep as you make them and many have taken them to the extreme.

I think youre looking for a theme park where things are spelled out for you and spoon feed.  You want to be a "Pirate" go over take the "Pirate" quest...poof youre a "Pirate" . And you know youre a Pirate because you now have a Parrot on your shoulder and an eye patch. Aaaargh!!!image