Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: The Problem No One’s Talking About

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The MMO market is arguable the most crowded it has ever been with each game clamoring for players' attention. But with the notion that the field is a crowded one, comes the revelation that there are two serious issues with MMOs today. In Bill's latest column, he examines those problems. See what he has to say and then leave your ideas in the comments.

The problem is MMOs by their very nature are dependent upon players sticking around in game for months or years at a time.  The FPS of the week can get away with ten-hours of gameplay and a box sold. Big AAA online games that are services and not finite experiences cannot.  From my vantage point, there is no easy solution to this issue.  But there are two culprits that stand out as barriers to the MMO adjusting for a more crowded marketplace: revenue model and content-based design.  It’s my belief that an MMORPG can still retain lots of players’ attention, but it’s probably best to avoid the “OMGFailure!” hyperbole by looking towards these two solutions.  It’s my belief that a flexible revenue model and non-content reliant design can lead towards a more successful game in the long run; both from a financial standpoint and a community reaction standpoint.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Problem No One’s Talking About.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Yes!  Systems!  Thank you!  Finally, someone saying what I've been trying to say for a few years now but more so in the last few months after sinking my teeth into GW2 and realizing it is lack of systems that stops me from playing.   The games adding the systems are the ones I'm playing right now.  Like Lotro and Rift, heck even WoW(although it could definitely use more focus in this department, but apparently they get this and 5.1 looks interesting with a new Brawler Arena system).

The key to those old games everyone talks about like AC, EQ, FFXI are the sheer volume of systems in those games that keep people logging in.  Extra content is awesome and should never stop coming, but MMORPGs are all about adding systems and keeping players in the game.  Somewhere along the way, this core idea has become lost and needs to make a reappearance fast.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Thank you........I hadn't even realized how much has been cut out that I enjoyed.......

Quick,someone forward this to SOE for EQNext!

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    They need to slow down level progression - that will add more time to subs.  Lower experience gain to a minimum so that players have to spend inordinate amounts of time in every area of the world. Offer raids for every ten levels. Limit daily experience gain.  Make it so that rare level 20 armor is worth looking for because you will be able to use it for another month as you work your way to level 30...
  • AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274

I tend to agree with your points.

I remember Anarchy Online managing to do something close to these points in its' heyday but still suffered from the stigma of a bad launch.

The other biggie, to me, which no company really has control over is the quality of the community.  More cohesive and inclusive communities tend to go hand in hand with games that do well.

One of the things we've moved away from in MMO's is the cause for a need to interact with other players. Because player's interaction amongst each other is so much more limited now that it was in older games, communities seem to have become more sterile.

So the tie of community that would once bind players to games long term has effectively gone away.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

An MMORPG.Com article which I fully agree with???

My God, its snowing in Hell....

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by Ozivois
    They need to slow down level progression - that will add more time to subs.  Lower experience gain to a minimum so that players have to spend inordinate amounts of time in every area of the world. Offer raids for every ten levels. Limit daily experience gain.  Make it so that rare level 20 armor is worth looking for because you will be able to use it for another month as you work your way to level 30...

I sort of disagree. I think the time to level should be longer than it is in most games currently, but perhaps not to that extent. I wouldn't mind it taking 3-5+ months to hit a level cap, so long as there is content (player housing, PvP, crafting, exploring, etc) to do along the way, and so long as the leveling process is not a complete borefest. 

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I've been saying that for a long time. You need SYSTEMS, not one-time content. Perhaps people are finally listening and getting it.

But will the devs finally get it? I won't hold my breath. Until gamers stop buying boxes, that's exactly what they'll focus on, box sales.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15

Great post, Bill. I agree 100%.

IMO, the MMORPG genre needs to spread out again for it to bounce back from the stagnant state it's in currently. Developers need to make quality, original games and stop expecting 5, 10 million subs. That way, people will find their niche games and spread out the revenue, so that companies won't be afraid to step out of the box.

And these companies need to be prepared for a community that's used to game jumping now and isn't interested in paying $15 a month, generally speaking. I'm a WoW player, and I don't mind paying the $15 monthly fee, but I'm excited for the games on the horizon that won't require it (like Planetside 2, for example). That way, I can try what I want without losing anything, stick with what I like, and hand them my money for a game that fits me best. Or play multiple games and hand each a little money here, a little there.

And I loved Galaxies (the NGE aside) because they had story-driven missions that moved me along, but I could also step out of the current to fly my ship, decorate my house, meet up with some people in the cantina... Whatever I wanted to do. Story's great, but it shouldn't be the only thing MMO's let you be involved in.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351
    MMO's need to take the next evolutionary step & I think that player made content or as Bill put it: "Systems" that give the players lots of different things to do is definately a huge piece to the puzzle of getting MMO's to the next generation. Ofcourse all these systems arn't worth anything if the actual game "sucks" or isn't appealing. So it's going to take a combination of things for the next big successful MMO to get right before people can say we have arrived at the next generation of MMO's.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The problem is company execs keep seeing the "10 million" playing wow and think if we make a game like wow and only pull 1 in 10 of those people we will make more money. We just have to make a game like wow with a couple of things that are missing from it.

Hence you get all these wow with a twist games. E.g.

Lotro - wow with rp features
    Rift - wow with rifts and free spec switching
    Swtor - wow with personal story
    War - wow with rvr and pqs
    Aoc - wow with action combat and boobies
    Tsw - wow with puzzles, story, semi action combat and skill based progression
    Tera - wow with action combat and bams
    TESO - wow with rvr and open dungeons?
    Nw - wow with player made dungeons?
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Entris38

Thank you........I hadn't even realized how much has been cut out that I enjoyed.......

Quick,someone forward this to SOE for EQNext!

EQ2 is the game that closest resembles what Bill was getting at.  No other current MMORPG is even in the same ballpark as EQ2 for this stuff.  The most robust housing in MMO history?  check (yes, its not open world like UO or SWG.  but you can do more with it than even UO).  Player made dungeons?  check (albeit they still need some work, the framework is there).

SoE is embracing player made content and systems.  They even tried player created quests in SWG.  However, this is all being done on an existing framework, as opposed to building the game with it.  EQNext is going to be built along side this sort of thing.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    This is what games are giving us online single player story driven games and calling them MMOs. These games lack the conent and features that makes a MMO not to mention no perssistant worlds any longer. I have said it for 10yrs these new games are not MMOs because they lack the core mechanics to even define them as a MMO. But these new games are not failing because it is cheaper to put out a huge launch and make millions and turn around another 6mos later than a true MMO with a huge launch and get it running for years. This is why in order for developers to make real money on a real MMO the sub fees need to go up. Yes, I said it1 $50/mo sub fee and 500,000 players would be just fine for a  successful MMO but maintaining a $15/mo sub is a fail and doesn't generate enough money unless you have 10s of Millions playing.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Mmo's have taken giant leaps backwards. Games like Ultima Online, Asheron's Call, Dark Age of Camelot, had so much more to do than todays mmos.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

Yeah tayah. Except eve of course, although I'm not sure that qualifies as today.
  • OrrinnOrrinn Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    They need to slow down level progression - that will add more time to subs.  Lower experience gain to a minimum so that players have to spend inordinate amounts of time in every area of the world. Offer raids for every ten levels. Limit daily experience gain.  Make it so that rare level 20 armor is worth looking for because you will be able to use it for another month as you work your way to level 30...

I sort of disagree. I think the time to level should be longer than it is in most games currently, but perhaps not to that extent. I wouldn't mind it taking 3-5+ months to hit a level cap, so long as there is content (player housing, PvP, crafting, exploring, etc) to do along the way, and so long as the leveling process is not a complete borefest. 

Or even a system set up with no levels, but a different type of progression.

I was a big fan of the original professions system in Galaxies because it was different and I wasn't defined by a level. Sure, people still found ways of explaining their "class," but it was really what you wanted to make of yourself.

Any type of system that allows you to unlock new skills, abilities, and content by what you've done, been involved in, and discovered in your journeys would catch my eye for sure.

Game History (the ones that count): Everquest, Everquest 2, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Planetside 2

• Mark701Mark701 Member Posts: 108

I've played things like Star Wars Online (pre patch) Everquest 1&2 Rift, WoW, LOTRO as well as a host of othe ttitles and inevitably end up quitting for several reasons. One is that it becomes boring. As you indicated, you can only do the same quest a certain number of times before it bores you to tears. The second paying for new game content, promising new dungeons new zones and new classes only to realize that it's the same old zone and classes with some new paint. A third thing is nerfing. Most of these games aren't difficult to begin with. Nerfing them is done to appeal to lazy gamers who have a few bucks to spend. The result is that it makes a boring game even more boring. 

Despite all these things, the one thing guaranteed to drive me away from a game is when it switches from a monthly subscription fee to "free" with in game micro-transactions. Aside from generally destroying the in game economy it's a clearest signto me the game is no longer for gamers but investors demanding a return. At that point there's no more interest in providing new and challanging content, only raking in the bucks. And since the game is "free', and people are stupid most end up paying MORE on a monthly basis for a "free" game then they paid for their subscription.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

To address your point, yes, the lower level content must be enjoyable to play and plenty of things to do. Exploring, crafting, building, etc. would be more palatable to players if they knew they only had so much experience gain per day.  Look at Rift: they kept alot of busy with faction "experience"; after the dailies were done you would do other things with yourself instead.

If main "adventuring" experience was treated the same way (via a daily cap, or using one of the many fatigue systems out there but more aggressive) then players would be more encouraged to do other things, like socialize, craft, explore, etc. Then you could create content that allows players to intereact in a way so that those who are capped or fatigued for the day could somehow provide value to other players (in hub areas) who haven't adventured for the day yet; things like performing special buffs, selling food, healing death penalties, etc.

I can see a complex system set up to make it doable: for example, in a capped system, when you become capped from daily exp. you also become "enlightened"/"resolute"/"inspired" which activates special buff skills you can sell or give away to passers-by. The downside is that when you cast them you suffer a debuff that lasts as long as the buff making you effectively useless in a group or raid. For food items, introduce a system of spoilage: food ingredients must be gathered fresh each day (with the exception of some rare ingredients) because the ingredients spoil within 24 hours and become unusable. The food item you produce is only good for 48 hours before it spoils.  Again, this promotes a whole new economic system and keeps everyone busy. 

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    The problem is company execs keep seeing the "10 million" playing wow and think if we make a game like wow and only pull 1 in 10 of those people we will make more money. We just have to make a game like wow with a couple of things that are missing from it.

Hence you get all these wow with a twist games. E.g.

Lotro - wow with rp features
    Rift - wow with rifts and free spec switching
    Swtor - wow with personal story
    War - wow with rvr and pqs
    Aoc - wow with action combat and boobies
    Tsw - wow with puzzles, story, semi action combat and skill based progression
    Tera - wow with action combat and bams
    TESO - wow with rvr and open dungeons?
    Nw - wow with player made dungeons?

twist games. E.g. ...with Better wow graphics.

<.<

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Bill Murphy

The problem is MMOs by their very nature are dependent upon players sticking around in game for months or years at a time. 

And this premise is based on...?

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Bill Murphy

The problem is MMOs by their very nature are dependent upon players sticking around in game for months or years at a time. 

And this premise is based on...?

Really? C'mon now, think this one through...

MMO = Massively Multiplayer Online

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Torv

I'm sorry but rift, swtor and lotro are massive wow clones. Aoc not at launch,but it is now.

The others differ a bit and I wouldn't call them clones.
  • CheriseCherise Member Posts: 232
    Great way of putting it, Bill.  It's definitely been the "systems" that have kept me playing EQ2, LotRO, and SWG for so long.  Developers don't seem to think systems are important, or they add them much later after most have already moved on.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

Great article Bill, I agree wholeheartedly.

The sentiments expressed within are pretty much a dead ringer for the way I've felt for quite some time in regards to what needs to be done to get this industry back to the prosperous state it was once in. The game systems themselves are an exceptionally big deal, and I'd personally love to see the level of complexity that existed a decade ago restablished in the modern day titles that are being released.

Well put chief, a good read.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Well, Bill, you're quite late to the party, welcome anyway.

So, the Problem No One's Talking about? Looks like you never read you own forums. We, the regular posters here, are talking about the very same thing since years. You would have no problems to find 1000s of posts telling you so. The Problem No One's Talking about? Smedley from SOE talks about it, Funcom makes noises in the same general direction, Cryptic as well - it wasn't that no one talked about the problem - it was that no one at MMORPG.com wanted to hear anything about it. You guys rather prefer to praise the longevity of these same games ... wasn't it you who rewarded GW2 with a 9 for longevity a few weeks ago? :)

From AoC to GW2 games have launched with great fanfare from this website, have sold millions of boxes - and you are talking about "barrier to entry"? Sorry, but talking about a "barrier to entry" when games with a barrier of $60 for you US guys sell millions of boxes (no matter whether the game has a subscription or not, see SWToR and GW2) should tell you that "barrier to entry" is a complete non-issue. None of the big games of the last 5 years had any problem with it. Marketing removes any barrier to entry for an entertainment product.

Anyway, I welcome that you now put same emphasis on non-content design in MMORPGs - apart from that, thanks, I prefer my subscription games, just like Blizzard and CCP and Trion do.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    Originally posted by elocke

Yes!  Systems!  Thank you!  Finally, someone saying what I've been trying to say for a few years now but more so in the last few months after sinking my teeth into GW2 and realizing it is lack of systems that stops me from playing.   The games adding the systems are the ones I'm playing right now.  Like Lotro and Rift, heck even WoW(although it could definitely use more focus in this department, but apparently they get this and 5.1 looks interesting with a new Brawler Arena system).

The key to those old games everyone talks about like AC, EQ, FFXI are the sheer volume of systems in those games that keep people logging in.  Extra content is awesome and should never stop coming, but MMORPGs are all about adding systems and keeping players in the game.  Somewhere along the way, this core idea has become lost and needs to make a reappearance fast.

This is how Bill writes his colums. Reading here in Forum. Its not something he thought about himself. Im not saying its bad what hes doing either. Keep it up Billyboy.