Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In Case You Have Not Heard

TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

Hey all. 

There have been a ton of people complaining about how AV is going to screw up the game with this non PvP area thing they put into the game. I had posted before saying that there were likely going to be timers when you cross borders and no good stuff inside of these noob zones. Here is some proof right out of the Darkfall forums from a developer of the game.

There is a concern right now that the no-PvP zones will be exploitable by people standing right by the border and switch sides as they please. This will not be possible because there will be a timer that will come in effect when you enter or leave the no-PvP zone. So if you are in the no-PvP zone, when you leave it you will get a notice that you are leaving it as well as a timer that will indicate the time until your protection wears off. Similarly, when you are entering the zone the timer will indicate in how many second your protection will be enabled. One extra small detail is the fact that the protection that will be applied to players in these areas prevents them both from delivering any damage to either players as well as be damaged by other players. Because of this, standing in the protected area and shooting at people outside it as well as the opposite is not possible.

As for the alignment system questions, killing other players will still make you go red. It's just that there is no game mechanic that reacts to this any more. No towers will shoot at you and there are no areas that are off limits. However, players can use the information as they see fit, it's totally up to them. Red players as well as everyone else, cannot be attacked in the no-PvP areas.

Also, to address the concern about people staying in the protected areas to farm materials with no risk, the nodes in those areas will not be dropping the same items as the rest of the world. The world is divided in areas that we internally call danger zones. The higher the danger level of an area, the better the chance for special and rare resources to drop. Of course, protected areas are set to the lowest setting, meaning they will be dropping next to no rare resources. Additionally we expect these areas to be quite populated because of their safety so the nodes in them will probably be empty most of the time.

I knew this would be the case. More pewpew and less QQ.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I figured as much-

IMHO these "safe zones" are needed. I am all for FFA PVP but I also understand that there needs to be a bit of give and take. Folks jumped the gun with the complaints before even seeing the system.

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437
    works fine in Eve, why not work here...

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    heh the timers fix the issues that people had
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    I wish they did this alignment in the first one.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

I've no problem with these "zones" infact i like the addition! Only ones that i could see whining about this are you average joe teenage-gankers that can't compete/fight fair, so they don't want they're easy-prey "gone"

It's only a couple of veteran whiners on the DF forums that are against any and every change it seems.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    The only people bitching is those who think that ganking, griefing and random killing should be all the rage.  I on the other hand subscribe to the theory that PK'ing should be safe, legal, and rare.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Sounds pretty bad imho.

Why not do it like in EvE Online? Killing is possible anywhere, but there's consequences to your actions.

[mod edit]

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Yalexy
    Why not do it like in EvE Online? Killing is possible anywhere, but there's consequences to your actions.

Because in DF you die in 3-4 hits with no investment.

EVE NPC retaliation mechanics won't work for DF.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Yalexy

Sounds pretty bad imho.

[mod edit]

DF:UW is tailored to the more general player base, they made this error in the original DF and they suffered because deep down very few players like ganking, griefing and general abuse of game mechanics as the norm.

It protects new players from being chain ganked/griefed as happened in DF, as the playerbase isn't condusive with sandbox-style self-policing, they have had to put in protection mechanics, it makes perfect sense and it's a smart move to try and attract more players and make the game noob-friendly to help new players in their early days.

This was DF's big problem, most new players suffered from the EvE syndrome, time in game > skill, simply put they got ganked straight out of the box and a lot of players found this unpalletable and simply didn't stay. If you throttle your new player stream by making the game unaccessible to newbies, the game dies on it's arse.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

So everyone is fine with no alignment system whatsoever and no penalty for PK's and no harsh consequences. Because everyone seems see the safe zone but missed to see or comment on this point.

just asking, myself i am mixed on this and i had prefered a alignment system which gives incentives and rewards for for player  who killing roque player.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

So everyone is fine with no alignment system whatsoever and no penalty for PK's and no harsh consequences. Because everyone seems see the safe zone but missed to see or comment on this point.

just asking, myself i am mixed on this and i had prefered a alignment system which gives incentives and rewards for for player  who killing roque player.

Why not try asking on the DFO forums? Theres plenty going on regarding this exact topic.

Originally posted by Zinzan

DF:UW is tailored to the more general player base, they made this error in the original DF and they suffered because deep down very few players like ganking, griefing and general abuse of game mechanics as the norm.

You misunderstand safe zone role in UW, it is nothing like "safe" areas in EVE.

In UW, safe zones are newbie zones. In EVE, "safe" zone is fully fledged, content stuffed, equal part of the game.

Same thing happened with Perpetuum. Devs tried to use similar system DF was using - guard towers, but it turned out as very inefficient and problematic and end up with no PVP islands, just like UW.

It is just a "technical solution" but UW remains same open world FFA PVP game as DF is....unfortunately.

Originally posted by Gdemami

It is just a "technical solution" but UW remains same open world FFA PVP game as DF is....unfortunately.

And thats why we love it!!!image  But UW will be a kinder more gentle FFA PvP mmo thanks to the safe zones.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Well that's something at least.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Hancakes

And thats why we love it!!! 

Sure, as long as there is 1 person playing the game, there will be someone loving it. Still silly point you are making tho...

And thats why we love it!!! 

Sure, as long as there is 1 person playing the game, there will be someone loving it. Still silly point you are making tho...

At least im making one image  What's yourr again?

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

The only reason why games do this is because the players can't be trusted to recognize civilized areas. The especially cannot be counted to maintain a sense of roleplay on even the most basic levels. They have zero restraint. I'm not entirely sure how they manage to not masterbate in public every day in real life.

Sure they could throw in insta-kill towers or npcs or harsh penalties to try maintain the sandbox model but too many players are idiots and will abuse the systems endlessly or simply not care their god-like endgame character dies as long as they can annoy as many new or crafting players as possible a day. Even in the old game they clearly outlined the contest mechanics and areas yet you still see groups of players traveling miles to reach a noob zone through whatever glitch the game has allowing it to gank lowbies over and over again.

Blame yourselves or those deserving blame. The devs simply say "F@ck it!" and take the easier way out so not to deal with the arsehats.

You stay sassy!

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

At least im making one image  What's yourr again?

Ohhh! Ohhh! Ohhh! I know this one!

Darkfall is merely an OW FFA PVP theme park and nothing more.

Woo hooooo! What do I win?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by lalartu

EVE works nothing at all like this.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

And thats why we love it!!!image  But UW will be a kinder more gentle FFA PvP mmo thanks to the safe zones.

the game might survive more than 2 years this time

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

EVE has no artificial barrier that magically disables all hostile action. In EVE's hisec you can attack anyone at any time.

You'll die rapidly ofc but the option is there and it makes the game much more interesting and dynamic than it would be with some half-assed system like this one. Seems like a cop out to me; AV couldn't finish a more complex mechanic so they just threw these safe zones in. Better than nothing, sure, but still inferior to what it could have been.

What worries me the most is the alignment system though - or should I say the lack of an alignment system? Why the hell would you even keep the red flag when it means absolutley nothing gameplay-wise? Another cop out and a more serious one too. I can live with immersion breaking safe zones as long as they actually add something to the game (i.e. noob protection and new player retention) but a working alignment system is a fucking necessity in a game like this.

Now they'll be no penalty at all for turning red, which ofc will mean that everyone will be red.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Biskop

EVE has no artificial barrier that magically disables all hostile action. In EVE's hisec you can attack anyone at any time.

You'll die rapidly ofc but the option is there and it makes the game much more interesting and dynamic than it would be with some half-assed system like this one. Seems like a cop out to me; AV couldn't finish a more complex mechanic so they just threw these safe zones in. Better than nothing, sure, but still inferior to what it could have been.

What worries me the most is the alignment system though - or should I say the lack of an alignment system? Why the hell would you even keep the red flag when it means absolutley nothing gameplay-wise? Another cop out and a more serious one too. I can live with immersion breaking safe zones as long as they actually add something to the game (i.e. noob protection and new player retention) but a working alignment system is a fucking necessity in a game like this.

Now they'll be no penalty at all for turning red, which ofc will mean that everyone will be red.

Does EVE have splash damage so you can accidently hit a friendly target in hi-sec and get flagged?

In EVE, can you drive your ship infront of a hi-sec player busy killing rats, take the hit and flagg him?

If not, why does people compare Darkfalls friendly fire, fast paced FPS combat with the spreadsheet combat in EVE or the tab target in UO?

No combat in safe zones is an easy fix, but it is hard to do it otherwise.

I don`t really understand the no penalty for being a murderer. Atlest they shouldn`t been able to enter safe zones. But if everyone becomes red sooner or later, that wouldn`t work either.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Hotjazz

Does EVE have splash damage so you can accidently hit a friendly target in hi-sec and get flagged?

In EVE, can you drive your ship infront of a hi-sec player busy killing rats, take the hit and flagg him?

If not, why does people compare Darkfalls friendly fire, fast paced FPS combat with the spreadsheet combat in EVE or the tab target in UO?

No combat in safe zones is an easy fix, but it is hard to do it otherwise.

I don`t really understand the no penalty for being a murderer. Atlest they shouldn`t been able to enter safe zones. But if everyone becomes red sooner or later, that wouldn`t work either.

Splash damage and "jump-in-front-of-the-sword-griefing" can easily be avoided if you don't mindlessy spam your attacks in the safe zone. The risk of getting flagged within the safe zone makes the game more dangerous and interesting, since it makes you think and be aware of your surroundings instead of just running behind a magical barrier and chill.

On a side note, EVE has its own variants of safe zone griefing, can flipping and so on.

Originally posted by Hotjazz

Does EVE have splash damage so you can accidently hit a friendly target in hi-sec and get flagged?In EVE, can you drive your ship infront of a hi-sec player busy killing rats, take the hit and flagg him?

1) Yes, EVE has AoE weaponry.
    2) While you cannot step into line of fire, you can get flagged when can flipping(was an issue in Perpetuum).

I do not know what your point is tho... You will still likely be able to grief people despite PVP disabled safe zones.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

It works fine in every PvP game that has used it over the last decade... nothing to cry about....

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"