Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Elder Scrolls Online: 21 Things You Should Know About ESO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In The List this week, we expand the usual number hugely as we talk about the recently revealed new information about The Elder Scrolls Online. See what we have to say before adding your thoughts in the comments.

There was a ton of info released over the past couple of weeks when it comes to Elder Scrolls Online.  Sorting through it all, and pulling out all of the colorful hyperbole we games enthusiast press tend to input, can be a real chore.  So with that in mind, we’re putting together a quick bullet-pointed reference list of a few things (both large and small) we think you should take away from the coverage so far that might otherwise be missed. This isn’t the end-all, be-all list of ESO info, just some tasty nuggets that we think are worth compiling into one list.  Dive in, digest, and comment! 

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: 21 Things You Should Know About ESO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Sounds like a better version of SWTOR.

The PvP sounds lame. I don't care how big the zone or area is; when people enter it,  they will be expecting PvP. This kills the element of surprise. It's just stupid.

When will a game actually take the time and create some real World PvP. A deep and proper World PvP has never been done before. Instead, we get these cheap "add-on" ideas...   it all started with WoW.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Uhh.  Well I read a few things that makes me go wow thats not cool.  1 hotbar but considering you had no hotbar in skyrim.  Sounds more of a theempark but then there were quests in skyrim. Not happy about the one consumable slot, in skyrim you could put your favorite potions or what not, then ues "q" to bring those up and use them.

Is it still using the hero engine??

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm excited about this, people, when you read these articles you can look at them two different ways, you can read and look for the good and you can read and look for the bad. Ask your self before hand. What am I looking for in a EOS. I have to say when I'm playing skyrim and I think about eos I say to myself, I want eos to be just like this but with opportunity to play with other people at the same time. So when I read in Bills list eos is story driven and you are the hero, I say yes and I notice that is the first point he makes, and hopefully that was the first point because it is the most important point. You just don't have elder scrolls without it.

Hotbar has some concerns for me in my book, but as an ES fan I understand why it must be done and I accept it.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

The PvP sounds lame. I don't care how big the zone or area is; when people enter it,  they will be expecting PvP. This kills the element of surprise. It's just stupid.

When will a game actually take the time and create some real World PvP. A deep and proper World PvP has never been done before. Instead, we get these cheap "add-on" ideas...   it all started with WoW.

Lots of games have had deep and proper world PvP. They are just not that popular and due to the insistance that world PvP MUST have full loot as well means most people don't go near it. Games that do have it in general are poorly funded, poorly designed and poorly maintained.

I personally wish people who don't like the idea of a game just stop complaining and let those that do stick to it. I have issues with TESO and will keep my eye on it and yes there are things I am not sure about but I will not keep posting about how I don't like the game. I just don't understand why people would want to expend energy on something they obviously don't like. Odd people I guess.

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

yada yada yada .. phasing and instances..

blah blah blah.. some class lines won't be in at launch..

yada yada .. crafting .. housing post launch .. great leveling experience...

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mechanical marketing machine keeps stamping

mechanical dev team keeps pressing

the great machine that is failed MMO clones keeps turning

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Someone menitoned the hotbar, and how skyrim didn't have a hotbar. But I've watched my son play and I seen him basically "pause" the game then open a menu, swap weapons or spells then go back in action to continue. You can't "pause" in an MMO, if you want to be able to swap weapons, skills or spells then you need to use a hotbar or something basically similar to bind these actions to different keys.
  • MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Any features slated for post launch... yeah don't hold your breath on those.  Hopefully the game will do well enough to get these   added as 'promised' but if it's a shakey launch or game success is questionable...

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Looks better than GW2 so far.
  • ThaneUlfgarThaneUlfgar Member Posts: 283
    Looks good.
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

All that will be ftp or will it be Buy to play or Sub?

I am holding my breath to see if all of that stuff will actually make for a fun game, but it sounds interesting.

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    seems like a lot of things are being tagged as "post launch" which I've come to read as "maybe". I might just be jaded...

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Sorry but, the key thing that has made past elder scrolls games amazing was how modable it was. Being this a MMO it wont be nearly as modable. Sadly anyone who has played a TES game on PC and compared it to Console will clearly say. The game is a Demo for the PC version.

Now adding the MMO element to it the idea of adding new armor and weapons goes out the window. Adding additional content, Gone. modded player homes, Nope. Complete reworks of game data to increase difficulty or immersion, Ha ha MMO.

Lemme finish with this. In my version of skyrim last night i was questing in Elswyr.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    this game looks good, looks better than some mmos out there now and ones that are being released soon
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    I will definitely give it a try. I have a fond spot for TES. Might be my choice of second MMO to play.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Sorry but, the key thing that has made past elder scrolls games amazing was how modable it was. Being this a MMO it wont be nearly as modable. Sadly anyone who has played a TES game on PC and compared it to Console will clearly say. The game is a Demo for the PC version.

Now adding the MMO element to it the idea of adding new armor and weapons goes out the window. Adding additional content, Gone. modded player homes, Nope. Complete reworks of game data to increase difficulty or immersion, Ha ha MMO.

Lemme finish with this. In my version of skyrim last night i was questing in Elswyr.

"Lemme finish with this. In my version of skyrim last night i was questing in Elswyr."

Yeah, I was defending my own self-created village from bandit attacks (Tundra Defense).  Themepark TES cannot touch that.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I'm excited about this, people, when you read these articles you can look at them two different ways, you can read and look for the good and you can read and look for the bad. Ask your self before hand. What am I looking for in a EOS. I have to say when I'm playing skyrim and I think about eos I say to myself, I want eos to be just like this but with opportunity to play with other people at the same time. So when I read in Bills list eos is story driven and you are the hero, I say yes and I notice that is the first point he makes, and hopefully that was the first point because it is the most important point. You just don't have elder scrolls without it.

Hotbar has some concerns for me in my book, but as an ES fan I understand why it must be done and I accept it.

To be honest, I went without expectation into reading about TESO. But contrary to you, I find that -judging from this list- they're taking away the things I liked from TES, keep things I don't care for, and add things I don't want. Which is fine, I'm just not the kind of gamer they aim at.

I am, however, the kind of gamer they used to aim at. And I don't know, but maybe Bethesda likes to know if their concept for TESO is appealing to TES fans.

I think the root is "ESO will be a themepark", while all other TES games were very much sandboxes.

And with that said, I really can't see how TESo won't tank just as hard as SWTOR did.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Well, I don't agree with you here.

Now  I do use a lot of mods. But I don't really feel the game suffers without the mods at all. All the mods do is:

A, add armor and weapons and items that are not in the game and in many cases (not all) don't fit with the art design of the world

B, Change game elements in order to create a different experience but that's subjective. Heck, I've added and subtracted mods that used scripting because at first they seemed like a good thing but in practice they either broke the flow of the game or caused issues. And removing these mods then caused larger issues where I had to revet to a previous save several levels  back.

C, Add races that aren't in the game and in some cases don't make sense with the game world.

D, Add dungeons and quests as well as additional landmasses, houses, etc.

They might add to the game but they also change the game and I'm not convinced that they do so for the good of the game.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • korvasskorvass Member Posts: 616

Seems like another generic system fantasy MMO, that will attempt to take a piece of the WoW market, and end up failing.

Personally I would rather they just add multyplayer functionality to Skyrim. I think this would be both financially smarter, and better received by both fans of the series and PC/Console gamers in general.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78

@Sovrath:

E, Add UI mods that make the abysmal UI (since Oblivion) actually bearable.

Plus: The beauty of those mods is: Everyone can decide for him-/herself if they want a certain mod. And for their gaming experience, that is good.

Take a look at Diablo 3, and how it isn't moddable. I think that for certain game series (TES foremost among them) moddability is a big part of its appeal. I know that I only could stand Oblivion after I had applied at least ten mods. Most doing things like heighten immersion (better weather and flora), others blunted the infamous Useless Levels (and bandits in full Daedric armour asking for 100 Gold). But honestly? Bethesda has -in part- mods to thank that TES is as famous as it is today.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Actually looks/sounds quite good from reading all that.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

The idea of TESO as a full loot open PvP sandbox is quite simply a terrible idea.

Unless of course you want the game to get 1+ million box purchases and then very, very quickly drop to less than 100k active players and about 50% asking for a refund.

If you want your niche PvP sandbox, play Darkfall, Mortal Online, etc. but stay away from ESO.

ES has always been about story, exploration, character progression, visceral combat, dungeon diving.

The Cyrodiil PvP is a nice bonus / afterthought and I for one am 100% happy about that.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

It’s PVP may be more “sandbox”. With a massive section of the game map (the entirety of Cyrodiil) being devoted to PVP with capture-able keeps, destructible walls, and towers, siege weapons, and so forth… the Alliance vs. Alliance system is more “sandbox”.  Players can even become Emperor, though perks for ruling are yet to be revealed.

I really hope they get the PvP system right. This will be the #1 determining factor for whether I play TESO.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Wow, I expected this to be another boring wow clone but its not from looking at these, I just hope the quest lines are better than they were in skyrim, because i'll be honest, all the quest lines in skyrim including dawnguard were total shit compared to the older games quests. Main quest in skyrim might have 1 line of spoken dialog per step and thats it, unlike the older games where each quest actually has a fairly decent story behind it, which is one of the few things skyrim lacked, not to mention the province of skyrim was boring as watching dog shit ferment on the sidewalk to explore since everything looked the exact same. I am so sick of seeing white and grey in skyrim that I just got bored of exploring, every nordic ruin is the exact same, every cave uses the exact same textures.

I also hope stuff like spellmaking will be in the game, cuz lets be honest, base mage in TES games have been pretty shittastic compared to some of the spells players could make in morrowind and oblivion, the loss of the spellcraft system in skyrim really hurt the game hard.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Mueslinator

@Sovrath:

E, Add UI mods that make the abysmal UI (since Oblivion) actually bearable.

Plus: The beauty of those mods is: Everyone can decide for him-/herself if they want a certain mod. And for their gaming experience, that is good.

Take a look at Diablo 3, and how it isn't moddable. I think that for certain game series (TES foremost among them) moddability is a big part of its appeal. I know that I only could stand Oblivion after I had applied at least ten mods. Most doing things like heighten immersion (better weather and flora), others blunted the infamous Useless Levels (and bandits in full Daedric armour asking for 100 Gold). But honestly? Bethesda has -in part- mods to thank that TES is as famous as it is today.

Actually I would say the mods make the game more than anything betesda does, only reason I can stand skyrim is due to mods like skyrim redone, that make the game less of a piece of shit like vanallia is. These game devs gotta stop dumbing down games for the stupid console users, because its ruining gaming as a whole.

Now I am worried about the whole story driven part, SWTOR tried it and failed miserably, The secret world tried it and also fell flat on its face, with the way skyrims story is I have very little faith that the devs of TESO can make a story thats actually intersting, cuz the whole main plot of skyrim was just stupidity, not to mention the guilds blew and were way to short, and most of the other quests are just 1 line of dialog then go fetch this for me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

^ nail on the head

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Siveria

Actually I would say the mods make the game more than anything betesda does, only reason I can stand skyrim is due to mods like skyrim redone, that make the game less of a piece of shit like vanallia is. These game devs gotta stop dumbing down games for the stupid console users, because its ruining gaming as a whole.

Now I am worried about the whole story driven part, SWTOR tried it and failed miserably, The secret world tried it and also fell flat on its face, with the way skyrims story is I have very little faith that the devs of TESO can make a story thats actually intersting, cuz the whole main plot of skyrim was just stupidity, not to mention the guilds blew and were way to short, and most of the other quests are just 1 line of dialog then go fetch this for me.

This is why we can't have nice things... so much negativity, no wonder these forums are so toxic and the expectations are so high - and are never met.