Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: November Preview & Notes from Our Live Stream

Comments

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Something that will change Tyria forever? Anyone thinking the next Dragon might appear? Isn't there a submerged Dragon somewhere? Prequel to the next expansion?

imageimage
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

The new island is not a full-sized map, it's a medium small map that will play out a storyline.

Well there goes my all excitement.

• GraeyGraey Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by halflife25

The new island is not a full-sized map, it's a medium small map that will play out a storyline.

Good Morning,

I don't know half I would say wait and see what they mean by medium sized..for instance a comparison of sorts. Orr is really big so I'm sure it could not be as big as that.

Sidad: I'm curious why you want open world WVW. I'm not knocking it but from my playing of TERA didn't they have that where you could get attacked as soon as you left the village or town, etc. I just remember people ganking me as soon as I left and that wasn't very fun at all. However perhaps a server dedicated to that very thing would be nice so both sides could have their cake. I would never create a character there but it would be a place for people who share your common interests as well.

I'm looking forward to the patch. I think they are doing a great job on updating the game at regular intervals only surpassed by Trion. I'll be floating from this back to Rift and vice versa so it will be an interesting two months for me. Good thing that thanksgiving is coming up and I'll have 4 days to myself while my girl is away visiting family...woot!!!

Dungeons: Personally while I like that the dungeons are hard I have yet to actually beat any part of an explorable mode one. I would actually like to beat one if possible so tweaking perhaps should happen. It's just idk they seem overly tuned and tedious. No matter what traits i use or what party I go with I can never seem to beat any version of explorable mode. Perhaps I should find a dedicated group of people.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Graey

Good Morning,

I don't know half I would say wait and see what they mean by medium sized..for instance a comparison of sorts. Orr is really big so I'm sure it could not be as big as that. 

Are you talking about entire ORR or just cursed shore? i doubt this map is as big as three maps which are combined together and called ORR.

It is a 'medium sized small' map which sounds even smaller than cursed shore. And seems it focuses more on storyline.

They have to sell expansions too down the road, so make sense that they won't give huge zones as free content updates.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Graey

Good Morning,

Doesn't bother me that its medium-sized, whatever that means.. it's the storyline bit that's concerning.  Like the entire island might just be a 5-man instance.  Or worse, a personal story extension.

They might be referring to its DEs, though.  That they tell a story of some sort.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Sidad
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Boring. :( Give me server with open world pvp or let ppl turn on/off pvp option in open world or at least give me duels than we can talk about game getting interesting again for me.

That's like asking for a PvE server in Planetside 2 or complaining that there's no friendly fire in Team Fortress 2. It won't work. It can't work. It will never happen. If it's a deal breaker for you, stop complaining and go elsewhere.

Duels will probably be included at some point, but if the game is boring to you without them, you should probably go elsewhere anyway.

[mod edit]

you know what game you are buying and now you complain, typical

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by roo67
    What was all that trash about no endgame again ?

The dungeon is kind of neat, but it isn't going to fix what is wrong for most people.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Loke666

Maybe this finally will shut the people up who have been saying that B2P games cant add the same amount of free content as P2P games can.

This is at least as much as P2P games add.

This content was probably worked on well before release and just finished after release. It is also right after release so their coffers are full. I would still take the wait and see approach until six or eight months after launch.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Love the emphasis on the new island changing the world. Well of course it is a new island every single game changes when they do that.

"We care so vary much about our lore, players, we really do."

"Oh.  Yeah.. and there's this new island, we just discovered."

"Oh.  Yeah.. we want to expand again... lost uh, trail to this uh...dark forest.."

"Oh.  Yeah.. new continent!"

"Oh.  Yeah,, undersea kingdom!"  "Monster Isle!"  "New planet!"  "uh.. core, inside our world!"  "Fantasy starships!"

MMOs expanding just create some silly-buggers.   You gotta deal with it, if you want new stuff.

For almost every other MMO i agree with you, but not so much with GW2

The ingame map of GW2 has no 'borders' (I mean, we havn't uncovered all the land yet). So we know it's already there, we're just waiting for MOAR maps :)

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Maybe this finally will shut the people up who have been saying that B2P games cant add the same amount of free content as P2P games can.

This content was probably worked on well before release and just finished after release. It is also right after release so their coffers are full. I would still take the wait and see approach until six or eight months after launch.

Think i read somwhere the plan was to release a new 'expansion!' every year or so.

SO YEA, it'll be a wait and see but if they can pull it off (the did with GW1 btw)  IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING =).

Expansions in GW1 were bigger then the original campain so i don't min throwing 60 bucks each year for an entire new world =)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

Think i read somwhere the plan was to release a new 'expansion!' every year or so.

SO YEA, it'll be a wait and see but if they can pull it off (the did with GW1 btw)  IT'S GOING TO BE AMAZING =).

Expansions in GW1 were bigger then the original campain so i don't min throwing 60 bucks each year for an entire new world =)

unless they changed their minds originally they said expansions would be a year+ between them since the game was a much bigger scope than GW1 6 months expansions wouldn't be feasable..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Sounds good. :)
  • ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    Love the emphasis on the new island changing the world. Well of course it is a new island every single game changes when they do that.

"We care so vary much about our lore, players, we really do."

"Oh.  Yeah.. and there's this new island, we just discovered."

"Oh.  Yeah.. we want to expand again... lost uh, trail to this uh...dark forest.."

"Oh.  Yeah.. new continent!"

"Oh.  Yeah,, undersea kingdom!"  "Monster Isle!"  "New planet!"  "uh.. core, inside our world!"  "Fantasy starships!"

MMOs expanding just create some silly-buggers.   You gotta deal with it, if you want new stuff.

Sometimes it's in the lore for these things to happen so sometimes it's actually waranted.

This is not a game.

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by evilastro
    They already have open world pvp in the form of WvW. It mixes PvP and PvE perfectly in nice big maps. What the whiners want is non-consensual PvP, to go around ganking and being a douche. Thankfully GW2 doesn't support that MMO scum.

Whats wrong with asking for different pvp server with pve maps? Or maybe ppl turning on/off pvp option or duels in pve areas? I guess for blinded fanboy's it's blasphemy. I wish they add different play styles as well and not only more of the same.

There's already a game like that... it's F2P and it shares the same publisher as GW2.

It's called Lineage 2. Check it out if you haven't, it's all the PvP fest in a PvE world you seem to care so much about.

Life is about choices, sometimes easy, sometimes hard. You have an easy one here, game that you like and doesn't have 1 feature you really wanted (booo hooo) or game you might not like but has the feature you really wanted (yay open world pvp zerg fests).

Really easy, choose one, go play it, and keep your suggestions to the official GW2 suggestions forum if you don't want to be flamed and treated like an heretic for your ideas. If you want to keep posting here you have to leave your dignity at the door, no one here cares how you feel about something, especially if it contradicts the way they think.

Peace!

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Boring. :( Give me server with open world pvp or let ppl turn on/off pvp option in open world or at least give me duels than we can talk about game getting interesting again for me.

Read the design notes that A.Net published on the game. THe game is NOT designed for what you want. The game is not for you - move on and stop whining.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    LOL I'm still working my way to 80. I better get busy. This is a truly amazing game!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

custom arenas are coming

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/structured-pvp-iceberg/

Custom arenas are special PvP maps, rented by players, that will allow you to set up passwords, host scrims, and test strategies with your team.  This will allow you to challenge other teams, work on your builds in secret, and test your skills 1-on-1 with friends.  You can open the server up to everyone and set the map rotation you like best, or keep your arena password-protected so it serves as your private training ground.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Nadia

custom arenas are coming

Custom arenas are special PvP maps, rented by players, that will allow you to set up passwords, host scrims, and test strategies with your team.  This will allow you to challenge other teams, work on your builds in secret, and test your skills 1-on-1 with friends.  You can open the server up to everyone and set the map rotation you like best, or keep your arena password-protected so it serves as your private training ground.

"rented by players" sounds a lot like recurring payment.  Recurring payment sounds a lot like subscription.  Interesting that they would essentially target a very small segment of the population with the greatest interest in their sPvP/tPvP and charge them in a recurring manner.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by killion81

custom arenas are coming

"rented by players" sounds a lot like recurring payment.  Recurring payment sounds a lot like subscription.  Interesting that they would essentially target a very small segment of the population with the greatest interest in their sPvP/tPvP and charge them in a recurring manner.

THis is because they want to get into eSports. Remember, the first 3 yrears of GW, they had a GvG and an HoM tournaments worth big bucks.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

^^This 350,000 times.

And from the looks of it, this is going to be fairly normal for the game.

Of course, GW2 is failing and it's boring because there's nothing new to do and all content is used up in about 2 weeks.

It's nice to see a dev delivering on its promises.  And people wonder why I like ArenaNet so much.  Nice work guys!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119
    And they do it without requring a sub-fee? If they keep delivering a new content regularly, I cannot see how other mmos can justify a $15 sub-fee anymore?
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by killion81

custom arenas are coming

It's not a subscription in the sense of subscribing just to play the game.  They are talking about renting a server that YOU can control.  That is vastly different from the typical subscription.  Also, I imagine it won't be that cheap to run it.  I bet it'll be more likely that a guild pays for the server.   That means that it may be very few individual players would be paying that fee.

So, it's not like a subscription at all - at least not like in other games.  Besides that, it's an option.  There is the possibility that no one will even rent one server.  I guess the game would fold then.....

Also, how do you know that any of that "subscription" money would go to any other aspect of the game?  While I imagine the company would skim a bit off the top, I find it most likely that most of the money would go toward the monetary rewards of the esport.  Just like they did in GW1.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by mWo4life
    And they do it without requring a sub-fee? If they keep delivering a new content regularly, I cannot see how other mmos can justify a $15 sub-fee anymore?

It looks like a B2P update for me.  Just a one time world event, a medium/small island and some other PvE stuff. Nothing new about PvP or real competitive PvP or WvWvW. And maybe you didnt notice it yet, but GW2 is not even a competition for the P2P market anymore, it was for like a week, not now. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by mWo4life

It looks like a B2P update for me.  Just a one time world event, a medium/small island and some other PvE stuff. Nothing new about PvP or real competitive PvP or WvWvW. And maybe you didnt notice it yet, but GW2 is not even a competition for the P2P market anymore, it was for like a week, not now. 

i dont know any better than you

but GW2 is the best selling mmo on Amazon -- in top 10 PC Games, 2 months later

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

ncsoft and blizzard should both be announcing Q3 financial reports next week

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

This patch looks good. I really like it when an MMO adds landmass through patches.

It is still too early to say if they will be able to patch the game as much as a P2P MMO. Most MMOs release crazy amounts of content after release (most of the content was probably worked on even before the game was released). This does not indicate whether they will be able to deliver content on a regular basis. Even GW1 got quite a few content patches after release.Lets hope ArenaNet keeps their content rolling. Even if it is in the form of DLCs, it is still better than P2P.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.