Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BadSpock's Hitting Bottom: A Re-Review

1789101113»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by bcbully

Geez dude your still doing it. Way to quick to judge.  I'll link to refresh your memory. My point is that I made a post about losing intrest just like you made a post about not enjoying your time, but (mine was a little less scathing imo) I wouldn't call your thread pointless and flame-bait. It's your critique of the game.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/364919/page/1

We are all different people, thus our opinions don't always line up on what's good and what's bad. I feel as long as we as a community are honest in our opinion the genre will grow. Who knows we may even get a game you and I both enjoy. 

Your OP in that thread was/is fine.

At that time I was just a little miffed with you as you had been bashing GW2 for weeks and weeks and weeks - on a crusade it seemed like.

Then you made that thread and I was like... "Umm no duh you didn't enjoy it you seem to have hated it for months!"

I probably was a bit too pointed in my response, my apologies.

I think I was just pissed you were a spotlight poster after writing all the junk you did about how good TSW was - how it was a GoTY candidate - and how you once tried copy/pasting positive User-Reviews from Metacritic in a TSW thread...

I think a negative thread like this one from a poster (me) who had very positive things to say initially is a lot, lot less of a flame bait /troll attemp then a "known hater" making yet ANOTHER negative thread.

But in the end, you are right (from my perspective) about your opinions and feelings regarding GW2. I still don't get your love for TSW though... ;)

lol yeah I've asked myself the samething the last couple weeks about TSW. The ability wheel, and customization. Idk it appeals to the "speacial snowflake" in me. lol

Fair.  Live long and prosper.

Yes, I liked voyager...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

The one TRULY great thing for GW2 - for me anyways - is that it is B2P with no subscription.

I logged on last night and made a new character, a Warrior (again) and had fun just tooling around in Queensdale - definitely more events popping than I remember around launch which was fun. Also opened and cleared some Halloween zombie/spider portals which was cool.

I also played around w/ SweetFX and am impressed with the results.

I know GW2 is a game I'm going to keep coming back to time and time again, I just really hope they smooth out the rough edges and shore up the endgame.

Additional 70-75 and 75-80 zones would be nice.

I might do what my brother did and just do all the 1-15 zones, then all the 15-25 zones, etc. etc.

If I have any time for GW2 after Tuesday that is (Halo 4 baby!!!)

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

The one TRULY great thing for GW2 - for me anyways - is that it is B2P with no subscription.

I logged on last night and made a new character, a Warrior (again) and had fun just tooling around in Queensdale - definitely more events popping than I remember around launch which was fun. Also opened and cleared some Halloween zombie/spider portals which was cool.

I know GW2 is a game I'm going to keep coming back to time and time again, I just really hope they smooth out the rough edges and shore up the endgame.

I might do what my brother did and just do all the 1-15 zones, then all the 15-25 zones, etc. etc.

Ouch.  Not much of an endorsement there.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

'googles' sweetfx

I believe the new zone in nov 15th will have this and it won't be a zombie movie from what i understand (like Orr is)

It's what I've been doing, have to say getting gold from completing these zones is nice, the ones that give crafting mats i don't need i just sell instantly in the TP haven't spent a dime of RL money on end game armor or weapons.

have to ask, does SweetFX do anything to cause GW2 problems at this point and where is the direct download (because my google skills suck)

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Sorry to have lost you bud, it seems that the carrot is important for some after all.

600 hours and still going strong here. To be honest cosmetic makes it for me anyway but I don't simply focus on one thing I focus on many things and try to achieve different things at all times.

For example halloween has kept me busy with its achievement/title and try to get enough gold to buy my scythe skin, so this took quite a bit of Mad King Dungeon runs.

Before that and after I'm still trying to achieve Dungeon Master, quite a time-taking task if you ask me. Before that I really wanted the Arah gear so bad for my necromancer and now it's complete. I've only seen 1 other normal size necromancer with that full set so we are pretty unique and people always ask me where do I get that gear. Anyone that knows dungeons know how hard Arah could be for PUGs and how hard it is to form together a good group, I went through it but fortunately don't have that problem anymore and clear all its paths in under an hour, the loot is indeed garbage except for the tokens but gladly that's being actually worked on.

So now I'm trying to finish my Dungeon Master title before the new dungeon hits, and I have a good feeling it's going to hook for a while. Also my guildies keep me playing and this is very important, to form a community that you connect with and enjoy doing activities together, more important than the carrot, or the gear, or the titles for me.

Still plenty of things to do I don't see myself stop playing anytime soon, even though I should take a break because I need time to do some things.

Cheers.

Edit : Here's a picture of my Necromancer, then again who wouldn't want to play with this badass

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• TaoMcDohlTaoMcDohl Member UncommonPosts: 103

I'm someone who was extremely excited for Guild Wars 2, only to quit after several weeks.  I have zero interest in playing.  The reason for me, and possibly others, is that I feel that Guild Wars 2 was going to offer a "dynamic" world.  Having read everything, I expected a bit more sandbox.  

For me, Guild Wars 2 is a progressive theme park.  The underlying aspects of the theme park are still there.  Instead of yellow exclamation points, we have hearts on a map.  It's not that Guild Wars 2 gave us a new method of gameplay; it simply refined what was there.  Just as WoW took the basis of EQ1 and took the model forward, Guild Wars 2 tried the same thing.  The problem is that when a gamer goes into a game looking for something specific, and that isn't there, it doesn't matter what IS there.  That gamer is going to feel let down by the game.

For some, the evolved theme parks are fun.  They like the packaged content that is there.  But others are really looking for a unique experience, and I think the industry has been terrible about this.  It hasn't been until recently that studios are realizing this. SWTOR is likely a great example of what happens when a company makes a big MMO theme park in today's market.  Moreover, it's a PRIME example of what happens when gamers go in wanting one thing, and are then handed something else.  A gamer goes in and is given this wonderful story with character progression and choices.  Suddenly, you reach the end and all of that is swapped out for dungeon raiding and battlegrounds.  It's not what the gamer has signed up for, so they bail out.  

Developers, hopefully, are finally over the "WoW" effect that they need to have millions of subscribers.  What good are those 1.8 million subs that SWTOR brought in?  They didn't stay!  Studios need to understand that a niche game that offers longevity is a good thing.  This is where gamers like me are looking towards.  I'm looking for a studio to come forth and really bring a new experience.  I don't want a rehashed theme park with a few tweaks (Tera, GW2).  I got excited when I read John Smedley's comments on EQ Next.  But my excitement is quickly tempered when I remember what I read about Guild Wars 2 and how excited I was for that.

In the end, Guild Wars 2 simply offers an evolution to the standard-fare stuff.  They just do things better.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by xposeidon

Sorry to have lost you bud, it seems that the carrot is important for some after all.

600 hours and still going strong here. To be honest cosmetic makes it for me anyway but I don't simply focus on one thing I focus on many things and try to achieve different things at all times.

For example halloween has kept me busy with its achievement/title and try to get enough gold to buy my scythe skin, so this took quite a bit of Mad King Dungeon runs.

Before that and after I'm still trying to achieve Dungeon Master, quite a time-taking task if you ask me. Before that I really wanted the Arah gear so bad for my necromancer and now it's complete. I've only seen 1 other normal size necromancer with that full set so we are pretty unique and people always ask me where do I get that gear. Anyone that knows dungeons know how hard Arah could be for PUGs and how hard it is to form together a good group, I went through it but fortunately don't have that problem anymore and clear all its paths in under an hour, the loot is indeed garbage except for the tokens but gladly that's being actually worked on.

So now I'm trying to finish my Dungeon Master title before the new dungeon hits, and I have a good feeling it's going to hook for a while. Also my guildies keep me playing and this is very important, to form a community that you connect with and enjoy doing activities together, more important than the carrot, or the gear, or the titles for me.

Still plenty of things to do I don't see myself stop playing anytime soon, even though I should take a break because I need time to do some things.

Cheers.

Edit : Here's a picture of my Necromancer, then again who wouldn't want to play with this badass

In reading your post, I realize you are almost my polar opposite, everything that you enjoy about GW2, everything that drives you is nothing I'm interested in at all.

Cosmetic gear - Pointless, give me stats or give me nothing.

Re-running dungeon content  - not unless it leads to increased character (power) progression of some form, I'll pass.

Gaining a title of some sort - Nope, could care less, unless that title reflected that I was literally death incarnate somehow and other players should fear me for what I've accomplished.

Playing content with guildmates/friends - only in so much that our common interests lead to increased power for myself, or for my guild as a whole in order to crush our opponents.  Actual names, faces, players are irrelevant, once our common goals are no longer intertwined, time to move on.

Fortunately for you, there's GW2 and for me, there's EVE. 

I'm sure I made the right choice in passing on this title. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by itgrowls

have to ask, does SweetFX do anything to cause GW2 problems at this point and where is the direct download (because my google skills suck)

As far as I can tell it doesn't cause problems and isn't against EULA or anything.

There is an official thread on official forums.

All it does it let you modify your display settings more so than you can normally.

I found it on 3dguru.com forums, you just have to read the instructions and then play around with the settings.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by TaoMcDohl

I'm someone who was extremely excited for Guild Wars 2, only to quit after several weeks.  I have zero interest in playing.  The reason for me, and possibly others, is that I feel that Guild Wars 2 was going to offer a "dynamic" world.  Having read everything, I expected a bit more sandbox.  

For me, Guild Wars 2 is a progressive theme park.  The underlying aspects of the theme park are still there.  Instead of yellow exclamation points, we have hearts on a map.  It's not that Guild Wars 2 gave us a new method of gameplay; it simply refined what was there.  Just as WoW took the basis of EQ1 and took the model forward, Guild Wars 2 tried the same thing.  The problem is that when a gamer goes into a game looking for something specific, and that isn't there, it doesn't matter what IS there.  That gamer is going to feel let down by the game.

For some, the evolved theme parks are fun.  They like the packaged content that is there.  But others are really looking for a unique experience, and I think the industry has been terrible about this.  It hasn't been until recently that studios are realizing this. SWTOR is likely a great example of what happens when a company makes a big MMO theme park in today's market.  Moreover, it's a PRIME example of what happens when gamers go in wanting one thing, and are then handed something else.  A gamer goes in and is given this wonderful story with character progression and choices.  Suddenly, you reach the end and all of that is swapped out for dungeon raiding and battlegrounds.  It's not what the gamer has signed up for, so they bail out.  

Developers, hopefully, are finally over the "WoW" effect that they need to have millions of subscribers.  What good are those 1.8 million subs that SWTOR brought in?  They didn't stay!  Studios need to understand that a niche game that offers longevity is a good thing.  This is where gamers like me are looking towards.  I'm looking for a studio to come forth and really bring a new experience.  I don't want a rehashed theme park with a few tweaks (Tera, GW2).  I got excited when I read John Smedley's comments on EQ Next.  But my excitement is quickly tempered when I remember what I read about Guild Wars 2 and how excited I was for that.

In the end, Guild Wars 2 simply offers an evolution to the standard-fare stuff.  They just do things better.  

this ^^

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Cheers.

In reading your post, I realize you are almost my polar opposite, everything that you enjoy about GW2, everything that drives you is nothing I'm interested in at all.

Re-running dungeon content  - not unless it leads to increased character (power) progression of some form, I'll pass.

Gaining a title of some sort - Nope, could care less, unless that title reflected that I was literally death incarnate somehow and other players should fear me for what I've accomplished.

Playing content with guildmates/friends - only in so much that our common interests lead to increased power for myself, or for my guild as a whole in order to crush our opponents.  Actual names, faces, players are irrelevant, once our common goals are no longer intertwined, time to move on.

Indeed mate, we've both made great choices, today is a good day.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• RhianneRhianne Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Rhianne
    If you learn of any promising new games, please let me know!

I'm looking at FFXIV: ARR, Neverwinter, ESO, and a few Korean imports right now.

FFXIV just because I love FF universe/settings/characters and I really hope it offers a lot of compelling party-based gameplay.

Neverwinter almost exclusively for the Foundry.

ESO for their multi-layered progression systems (and general ES love).

Archeage, Black Dessert, etc. from the East for maybe a glimpse at something more unique - but I never hold my breathe for Eastern games to pan out as advertised. 

Thank you, BadSpock! :)

• GrimmxGrimmx Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Cheers.

I feel the same, i just dont like EvE. Ive tried it 3x allready and i just cant get into it. I know alot other pvp'ers feel the same.

I think it comes down to "beeing" a spaceship. Its not skillbased pvp, more planned pvp. However i have no problem understanding that people like EvE as a sandbox pvp game, its just not for me.