Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Chainsaws, Reticules, and Drama

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom's Joel Bylos has laid out an assertive plan to make The Secret World into a game that appeals to all kinds of gamers who will be able to find myriad ways to play the game. In today's column, we take a look at what's coming to The Secret World and offer a few thoughts. Read on and then join the discussion in the comments.

The recent interview MMORPG.com had with Joel Bylos discusses some of the new options that will be made available to people seeking to have a good time in-game. For those who want the skinny, some of the additions include a new weapon, which happens to be an anima-infused chainsaw (there's a whole story behind it, which is a nice change of pace from simply grabbing the nearest chainsaw available), as well as an optional fighting mode called reticule combat

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Secret World: Chainsaws, Reticules, and Drama.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Reticule combat has to be wait and see I think. I have questions about how useful it will really be.

Does the chainsaw have a roll? It falls under misc on the wheel right? So is it anything other than a skin? What about the animations that go with it? Are they the same crappy ones all the other weapons have?

As for a stage. Really? Some devs little toy they were playing with gets made into a feature because TSW has nothing else and they need somehting anything to keep players around.

Are the devs really saying a stage was more important than anything else they could have added to the game?

• Sigurd57Sigurd57 Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Reticule combat has to be wait and see I think. I have questions about how useful it will really be.

Does the chainsaw have a roll? It falls under misc on the wheel right? So is it anything other than a skin? What about the animations that go with it? Are they the same crappy ones all the other weapons have?

As for a stage. Really? Some devs little toy they were playing with gets made into a feature because TSW has nothing else and they need somehting anything to keep players around.

Are the devs really saying a stage was more important than anything else they could have added to the game?

Truth is, Funcom identified the majority remaining playerbase as the "RP" community.   There for, is giving them something to do and enjoy.   If anything, seems logical to try to keep at least one group of gamers happy.

The majority of  power gamers have all but left.  The casuals want something to do.   

Nothing wrong with that.  Not sure a feature like that will bring people back (which is what Funcom needs to be focusing on.)  But for the people who will use the feature, the Albion Theatre feature is pretty cool.

Hey TSW Players http://www.unfair.co/ for Mission guides, Lore Locations and stuff....

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I don't get this here is a stage put on a play thing,  Honestly a few more new zones would have been better.

As far as chain saw goes its another aux weapon, that leaves 2 more aux weapons on the wheel to grind out.  My sub ends tomorrow,  nothing here to see time to move on.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The chainsaw is an auxiliary weapon. It is addition too your other two weapons. Auxiliray weapons have there one dedicated ability slot. It's the second aux. weapon. The rocket laucher was the first. 

TSW has been a role player's game for years before launch. In fact TSW added an additional RP server about 1 month after launch.

I don't feel they feel it's more important for the "now". They seem to have their sight's set far down the line adding content every month or so. It's almost been 4 months now, and they have kept the update/issue per month pace.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • shanertshanert Member Posts: 11
    A "few" zones instead of Albion? How lol is that ... ? Sure, you go out and ask the tailor to fix your car, because you have no need for a tailor? Funny world ...

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    omg can we stop spelling it like that please?  I know it's accepted, but it's not the default and clashes with pronunciation (mine at least).  Reticle.  Reticle. 
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

"As a former musical theater actor in college, I would love to see how the setup is done for this, as on paper it seems very unwieldy to have a lot of different interactable items in your inventory just to put on a show. I'm concerned about how lag will factor into performances, and I'm also worried about the potential for stage squatting or disruptive behavior that might occur." 

Did MMORPG.com watch there own video? You alter the stage lighting and backdrops and such from an item behind the scene, not items in your inventory. Other people that isn't in your group can't come up on stage either, so no issues there.

• rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Is it just me or could the theatre be a way (or excuse) to slowly build player-created missions into the game.  If so, seems like a smart move to start with something that caters to part of their audience in addition to building up some tech and systems that would be needed to build other forms of player-generated content.

I bet the tech required to pull this off could be used in a housing/cabal base system as well.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Sigurd57

Truth is, Funcom identified the majority remaining playerbase as the "RP" community.   There for, is giving them something to do and enjoy.   If anything, seems logical to try to keep at least one group of gamers happy.

The majority of  power gamers have all but left.  The casuals want something to do.   

Nothing wrong with that.  Not sure a feature like that will bring people back (which is what Funcom needs to be focusing on.)  But for the people who will use the feature, the Albion Theatre feature is pretty cool.

They did the right thing.  The very last thing you need to worry about or even bother focussing on as dev house, is a bunch of powergamers, who will leave your game anyway.

There is no dev house on the planet that is capable of generating enough content for powergamers. It's financial unfeasable.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by rwyan

Is it just me or could the theatre be a way (or excuse) to slowly build player-created missions into the game.  If so, seems like a smart move to start with something that caters to part of their audience in addition to building up some tech and systems that would be needed to build other forms of player-generated content.

I bet the tech required to pull this off could be used in a housing/cabal base system as well.

You know, there might be something to that...

It's good to see continued expansion of existing zones - the Albion Theatre definitely sounds interesting.

The reticle combat... well, we'll see I guess.  I mean, I think it's cool to add more features to the game - and I thought it was pretty awesome that the coder worked on this on his spare time, but the option doesn't excite me much.  Personal preferences, I suppose.

Adding a chainsaw - yeah, pretty much a horror staple since Evil Dead so it's no surprise.  Of course, it'll be funny to see dapper gentlemen and ladies in their Pangea-bought threads lugging one of  those things around. ;)

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

I totally love their unique ideas and the new features, especially the theater is something I have never before seen in any game. Two thumbs up for breaking the boring MMO mold and invent tons of new stuff like this - extremely happy lifetimer here looking forward to how the stories continue to unfold.

btw the Orochi robot concepts for Tokyo are the among the best sketches I've ever seen.

TSW art department rules

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

I totally love their unique ideas and the new features, especially the theater is something I have never before seen in any game. Two thumbs up for breaking the boring MMO mold and invent tons of new stuff like this - extremely happy lifetimer here looking forward to how the stories continue to unfold.

btw the Orochi robot concepts for Tokyo are the among the best sketches I've ever seen.

TSW art department rules

The raid is just around the corner, too -- woot.  I like the focus on improving animations, PVP and ongoing content (puzzle raids sound very cool).  Funcom seems to be listening.  I like the idea I heard ealier on the forums about "opt-in" open world pvp similar to SWG.  Maybe wishful thinking but it's something I have this sneaking suspicion Funcom could pull off -- it would certainly fit within the setting.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

As already said i would never ever play games that:

1. have pvp only
    2. are 1st person
    3. have recticule
    Have played TSW and I admit after upgrading to 64 bit w7 also started to enjoy a lot, but left short of expiration of first 30 days free. Main reason was only 7 active buttons which equals button mashing. If not for that would gladly return to play, is pretty fun and in some ways original. Now they are adding feature which is no-no for me. Just hope they fix 7 buttons and add this only as option.
    Otherwise no problem, there are out there enough of other good and better games.
  • Bilko101Bilko101 Member Posts: 11
    And still nothing done about the crappy, amateurish interface
  • OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Ummm the reticle combat is an option that can be toggled on or off.
  • SampiaSampia Member UncommonPosts: 16
    You can keep the same type of targeting you currently have.  It is an option to use reticule method.  I enjoy TSW's limted buttons more than in GW2 (which I no longer play, btw) but I am not sure why.  I still miss my shadow priest, even though for the most part, I used the same basic buttons and others were for special times like fear, mind control, etc.  However, the limted buttons in TSW can be switched out anytime when not in combat, and the nice thing is being able to switch my weapons of choice which can really change playstyle..
  • SampiaSampia Member UncommonPosts: 16
    You can keep the same type of targeting you currently have.  It is an option to use reticule method.  I enjoy TSW's limted buttons more than in GW2 (which I no longer play, btw) but I am not sure why.  I still miss my shadow priest, even though for the most part, I used the same basic buttons and others were for special times like fear, mind control, etc.  However, the limted buttons in TSW can be switched out anytime when not in combat, and the nice thing is being able to switch my weapons of choice which can really change playstyle..
  • nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by daltanious

As already said i would never ever play games that:

1. have pvp only
    2. are 1st person
    3. have recticule
    Have played TSW and I admit after upgrading to 64 bit w7 also started to enjoy a lot, but left short of expiration of first 30 days free. Main reason was only 7 active buttons which equals button mashing. If not for that would gladly return to play, is pretty fun and in some ways original. Now they are adding feature which is no-no for me. Just hope they fix 7 buttons and add this only as option.
    Otherwise no problem, there are out there enough of other good and better games.

And they should care since your no longer a paying customer because??????

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

Bump, since a preliminary 1.4 build with the chainsaw, reticle option, theatre & some new missions is now on TestLive.

http://forums-beta.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=14051

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

nothing for me ,don't care for chainsaw,reticle(thanx for optional),theatre...

but still love & enjoiying in awesome mmorpg TSW