Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With the news coming tomorrow, this becomes entertaining

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    and what news is that?
  • Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

Good to see you made your account just to post this.

Anyway, Trion is basically backing up what Buttler is saying with the release of Storm Legion. There's two new continents and a lot more content to follow that will give subscribers much to explore and give Trion time to develop more content.

Depending on how it's received and when my friends get the expansion, I may actually resub.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Trion is a really solid company imo.  they didnt put all their eggs in one basket.  with the success of Rift and 2 games coming out in the next year the people in charge seem to know what they are doing.
  • mudcakesmudcakes Member Posts: 4

There were many layoffs today and there are expected to be more tomorrow. There is an emergency meeting scheduled for tomorrow morning and it is mandatory that everyone attend. In my experience, those never go well. 

And yes, this is a throwaway account. 

Game Developer

you mind providing a link to that info mudcakes?  google only brings up layoffs from 3 years ago.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Entertaining? IDK man, to me it's sad really. With the state of the industry right now, I wish I knew of one MMORPG company outside of Blizzard that i could point at and write with confidence that they are doing well.  I may not have enjoyed RIFT but I respect it and what Trion tried to do with the game. I keep rooting for them (and hope they never use the term "wow killer" for a game again")  but if your forewarning is true then it is what it is. Even CCP is sinking with DUST.

Im going to say this is probably true and the op is one of those laid off, simply because it would be a stupid thing to lie about.  If someone wanted to spread rumours to hurt a game they wouldnt have picked one that will be well known as a lie shortly if it is one.

And if it is true, then its funny the op singled out the quotes on SWTOR, where the quotes about 38 studios are much more relevant.  *if* this is true and Trion did have to lay people off, it would most likely be because of too many projects at once with only one (fairly small) revenue stream

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Im going to say this is probably true and the op is one of those laid off, simply because it would be a stupid thing to lie about.  If someone wanted to spread rumours to hurt a game they wouldnt have picked one that will be well known as a lie shortly if it is one.

And if it is true, then its funny the op singled out the quotes on SWTOR, where the quotes about 38 studios are much more relevant.  *if* this is true and Trion did have to lay people off, it would most likely be because of too many projects at once with only one (fairly small) revenue stream

Someone is keen. But, I wasn't one of those laid off, hence the throwaway. I'd prefer not to be.

Understand that I don't have a bad thing to say about anyone here, or the company, but some very bad decisions are being made as of late, and some very good people were let go.

Also, please understand that I won't be able to discuss anything said in the meeting, as that will most definitely be confidential.

Game Developer

Originally posted by mudcakes

Someone is keen. But, I wasn't one of those laid off, hence the throwaway. I'd prefer not to be.

The meeting in 20 mins is certainly a damage control meeting. It will either be a magical spin job or they will try to keep it from getting out at all. My estimation is that they will try to say something in the realm of the layoffs just being customer support, or standard consolidation before a major expansion. It will also be to boost the morale of everyone left. It will be something to make it sound good, but layoffs never are. 

Understand that I don't have a bad thing to say about anyone here, or the company, but some very bad decisions are being made as of late, and some very good people were let go.

Also, please understand that I won't be able to discuss anything said in the meeting, as that will most definitely be confidential.

Trion trying to pull off a magical spin job?  No way...

After re-reading Buttler's comments, it was really using SWTOR layoffs as an excuse to hype his product which is extremely distasteful.  

Sorry for your friends and co-workers that lost their jobs.  Im thinking having Trion on their resume will help them land new jobs soon.  Good luck to all of them, and the current employees going forward.

• menrinmenrin Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Entertaining? IDK man, to me it's sad really. With the state of the industry right now, I wish I knew of one MMORPG company outside of Blizzard that i could point at and write with confidence that they are doing well.  I may not have enjoyed RIFT but I respect it and what Trion tried to do with the game. I keep rooting for them (and hope they never use the term "wow killer" for a game again")  but if your forewarning is true then it is what it is. Even CCP is sinking with DUST.

Turbine. May not seem like it but their profits skyrocketed once they implement their F2P model.

Originally posted by menrin

Turbine. May not seem like it but their profits skyrocketed once they implement their F2P model.

temporarily.  Its been a while since then.  I seriously doubt they are dong 'well', but probably enough to get by.

With SoE expanding staff on their games and a fairly big project due out soon they seem to be back on track and probably better off than Turbine, but i wouldnt say they are doing well either.

Turbine just had layoffs right before Trion.

Game Developer

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

You guys know this is what companys do right ?  [mod edit]

When you decide the staffing for a new project or expansion to an existing game you obviously have to hire outside people to come in and do some of the work.  Well what happens when that new project is done ?  Them outside people are no longer needed and get LAYED OFF.   It's how the business works you can spend your entire career working in it and never stay with one company.

Oh and OP if you're indeed a trion employee you think making a throw away account makes you safe ?  Trion and this site have a business relationship you have 0 privacy rights if trion wanted your account info IP/Email etc this site would give it to them.

Originally posted by William12

When you decide the staffing for a new project or expansion to an existing game you obviously have to hire outside people to come in and do some of the work.  Well what happens when that new project is done ?  Them outside people are no longer needed and get LAYED OFF.   It's how the business works you can spend your entire career working in it and never stay with one company.

Um, no thats not how it works.  When your expansion team is done with the expansion guess what?  they start on the next one.  

Um, no thats not how it works.  When your expansion team is done with the expansion guess what?  they start on the next one.  

so,  Rift has more recent planned expac's?

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354
    I resubbed(again) and couldn't be happier(again).  This seems like 2-6 months worth of charm and enjoyment.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

many people are contracted in for certain periods of time or until directed work is finished.. etc

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Oh and OP if you're indeed a trion employee you think making a throw away account makes you safe ?  Trion and this site have a business relationship you have 0 privacy rights if trion wanted your account info IP/Email etc this site would give it to them.

Which is why you set up this account with a throwaway email account. 

im still waiting for the news to drop.

I see you have never worked in the industry.  You're contracted to work on the expansion and layed off after unless you're offered another position within the company either on the same game or a new project.  THIS is how expansions are made THIS is why trion was able to push content patches while working on the expansion only a small number of the actual rift developers worked on the expansion early on and as it gets closer more are moved to it and the others are layed OFF this is how it works.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Which is why you set up this account with a throwaway email account. 

Unless he used a proxy everything is traced back to his IP and yes a company really would go that far to get rid of an employee spreading rumors and bad press.   Especially since I am 99.9% sure he signed a confidentiality agreement with trion as part of the standard employee contract.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

Originally posted by William12     When you decide the staffing for a new project or expansion to an existing game you obviously have to hire outside people to come in and do some of the work.  Well what happens when that new project is done ?  Them outside people are no longer needed and get LAYED OFF.   It's how the business works you can spend your entire career working in it and never stay with one company.  

Thats what successful MMOs do.

You know, MMOs that the publisher is confident will still be up and running when its time to release another expansion.

I see you have never worked in the industry.  You're contracted to work on the expansion and layed off after unless you're offered another position within the company either on the same game or a new project.  THIS is how expansions are made THIS is why trion was able to push content patches while working on the expansion only a small number of the actual rift developers worked on the expansion early on and as it gets closer more are moved to it and the others are layed OFF this is how it works.

If your contract is up then you arent laid off, you just simply arent offered another contract.

Almost everything released in the last year in Rift, with the exception of one medium sized raid and a small sliver, has used existing assets.  That is why they have been able to push out patches while working on the expansion.

And even if they did hire all these extra people, taught them how they do their programming and all that...it is a *very* bad sign that they wouldnt keep them.  The game needs 1-50 content in the worst way, surely they could keep these people on to work on that?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Got any proof?

If your contract is up then you arent laid off, you just simply arent offered another contract.

Almost everything released in the last year in Rift, with the exception of one medium sized raid and a small sliver, has used existing assets.  That is why they have been able to push out patches while working on the expansion.

And even if they did hire all these extra people, taught them how they do their programming and all that...it is a *very* bad sign that they wouldnt keep them.  The game needs 1-50 content in the worst way, surely they could keep these people on to work on that?

Contract expired/fired same thing its them laying someone off and not retaining the employee and thats how the press sees it.   The team that maintains the game rarely works on the expansion early on.  The ONLY people who would are the coders because they're familar with the game and how its coded almost everything else would be from soneone hired to come in and do the work.   THIS IS HOW MMO expansions are made you're obviously not familar with ti.  The only company I know of that has existing devs make expansions is SOE because they're cheap and dont profit from the expansions becasue the games are so old.  I have first hand knowledge of how SOE does it and how another company I wont name does it and SOE is in the minority here they bring interns and the current games staff to make the expansion part of the reason is EQ and EQ 2 rarely have real content patches and anything they do monthly is simply bug fixes or content tuning.

On the topic of them knowing how the game works.  When you hire a developer you get a resume a resume that shows how much work they have working with the game engine you're using I.E CryEngine, HeroEngine and others you would OBVIOUSLY not hire people who have never worked with the engine you're using.   So unless you're like SOE and designed your own engine you would hire outside the company.  

This discussion has been closed.