Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Disney Deal

Comments

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by Dward127
    this is the death of  the old star wars and the birth of the new cartoony version of star wars. wonder if they will reboot  the whole universe where  anakin  skywalker never became darth vader and the old republic never fell to the emperor.

lol do people even know what disney does nowadays? aparently not... disney is the best thing that has happened to Marvel movies in.. well... ever

I know right, what they think will happen? Mickey Mouse will start swinging a lightsabre around?

Disney has come along way.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by yorkforce

this is the death of  the old star wars and the birth of the new cartoony version of star wars. wonder if they will reboot  the whole universe where  anakin  skywalker never became darth vader and the old republic never fell to the emperor.

lol do people even know what disney does nowadays? aparently not... disney is the best thing that has happened to Marvel movies in.. well... ever

I know right, what they think will happen? Mickey Mouse will start swinging a lightsabre around?

Disney has come along way.

well I'am sort of hoping for a kingdom hearts star wars crossover :P

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

The old republic didnt fall to the emporer..it was given to him

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Reboot would be disaster at this point, I think disney knows it.  Episodes 7-9 sound great!  George Lucas already wrote their plot and his ideas on it.  Now someone who knows how to direct and write dialog can flush out the details.  I think it is great.  I am looking forward to seeing some new star wars stuff and I think disney will do justice to the IP in ways even George could not.

I liked episode 1-3 but the dialog was bad and the directing must have been bad.  Natalie portman is not that bad of an actor on her own, something else was off.  Probably related to George.  I am glad he wont have too much of his hands in new films.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Hmmm... Social and mobile games. I wonder if that means we should get ready for the "Angry Jedi" game with an "Angry Yoda" add on all produced under license? Oh and just wait till the "Angry Jar Jar" game ships with kid phones.

I am so kinda dying here. Not to be doom and gloom. It's just products for other niche groups and none for me.

Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Hmmm... Social and mobile games. I wonder if that means we should get ready for the "Angry Jedi" game with an "Angry Yoda" add on?

angry birds star wars has been in the works for a little while already 

http://www.businessinsider.com/angry-birds-star-wars-preview-2012-11

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Hmmm... Social and mobile games. I wonder if that means we should get ready for the "Angry Jedi" game with an "Angry Yoda" add on?

*CRIES*

*CRIES*

LOL well this game was being made well before the merger:P

• Cochran1Cochran1 Member Posts: 456

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/397246/digitally-replaced-by-ewoks

If we're lucky we won't see this come to fruition.   image

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

One things for certain there will be a hell of a lot more Star Wars Movies and TV shows for the next 20 years at least and proberbly more . It wont end with episode 9 . There will most likly be Old Republic films sooner or later . Spin off films like Boba Fett might get a go ahead . There will also most likly be an episode 10 and beyond . The live action TV series will certinaly happen as well and sooner rather than later given its all be written . On the plus side I think  Disney have done an excellent job with Marvel and if anything for a time at least the new Star Wars movies will be fresh an amazing .

As for ToR in about a year or so Disney will announce the news of a new StarWars mmo in development as soon as that happens ToRs days are numbered . I would guess it has 5  years more at best .

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188

I'm with you Mike, I see nothing but greatness out of this.  I think it was great that they immediately came out and said the next SW film was only 3 years away. How awesome!

And if they don't get to Thrawn over the next 9 years, maybe they will the series after that?

Either way, it all looks good and perhaps we can get a new SW MMO out of it.  It couldn't be any worse than what we got now?

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

Man... Francis is soooo happy about this development.  (NSFW + Rant Volume): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2rWbHIMQsQ

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Disney has pretty much gotten out of the "hardcpre" gaming bussiness in favor of social media games. They have even said they have no interest in producing such games, and it can be infered that they will close LucasArts, bacouse they said they might simply licensee the ip's instead of making their own games. In the end this saddens me because LucasArts was the most groundbreaking and original pc gaming studio in the 90's.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

New films dunno who they would get to wrote them but hopefully Spielberg to direct.

SWTOR was/is a farce, there is really no saving it since the foundation is so poorly constructed. Given the money spent on SWTOR and the poor returns I would say it sill live a while longer but dont expect any new Star Wars MMO projects any time soon and certainly nothing on this financial scale. Instead maybe we will see some more Single player Star Wars Games.

Or maybe Disney roll all their IP's into one MMO project, World of Disney anyone ?

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Lucas went out of his way to murder the SW IP, what Disney might do couldn't be any worse than Jar Jar Binks, the Ewok TV specials, and constant re-editing of the series. (Han Shot First!)

So now we have a chance to see a new take on the universe, and even if devolves to an Ewok vs. Wookie dance off, can that be any worse than the drivel Lucas came up with in the past decade?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Really looking forward to seeing what Disney can do with the star wars IP.. over the last few years they have been behind some really great films and not just cartoons..

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Disney bought Marvel in August 2009 so really haven't had a hand in any of their films up to now as most were planned before that date, comic forums were talking about the Avengers film years ago, It was the fact that Marvel had undertaken the making of the films themselves rather than license them out to other films studio's that made the company worth the 4bn that Disney paid. Its only the films over the next few years that will have a Disney hand in them if any at all I don't know how Disney run their subsidaries. Also Marvel films had been very successful for many years and because of the success of Spiderman in the early 00's Marvel decided to set up their own film studio. So no-one really knows what Disney has planned for Marvel or Lucasfilm/Arts in the next few years really. 

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by elocke
    I can see this:  a Kingdom Hearts MMORPG with Disney, Marvel, Final Fantasy and Star Wars worlds and characters, holy crap!!!!!! IP gasm!

I'm guilty of hoping for the same thing too. I can imagine a Disney KH MMO being the ultimate themepark MMO experience. I mean, they are what you think of when you think "Themepark". I can imagine the variety, one raid you are doing a little mermaid dungeon, then you are doing a space shooter raid fighting tie fighters, then the next minute you are with the avengers saving the world.

Ultimate virtual themepark here we come? *fingers crossed*

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Can't be anything but good.  George was not going to make any more films, and the last three were not that good anyways.

Secondly, Lucas Arts is clueless when it comes to the MMO industry, they were responsible for destroying SWG and look at SWTOR, it is basically a single player game with multiplayer aspects, probably the worst example of how not to design a MMO.  Of course hard to know who was more responsible for that mess, Bioware or Lucas Arts, but you have to know they had a hand in it.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Lucas is being retained......So bad judgement/things will still be happening.

• thrasher1991thrasher1991 Member Posts: 9
    wait what?!
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    what is era beegining in SW universe now?...sith ot jedi?
  • TimassinTimassin Member Posts: 14
    Achesoma you should check out the repopulation. It's basically a recreation of swg coming out in 2014 probably
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

All that is Lucas has always been rumored to be extremely protective of the Star Wars IP, especially in regards to licensed games.

I do wonder how this will impact how Bioware's treats the license going forward.  If Bioware was previously heavily constrained before... will Disney loosen things up a bit?  If so, will that help Bioware turn SW:TOR into an even better game (I do believe SW:TOR is a great game but was just 2-3 years too late)?

• necrosteinnecrostein Member UncommonPosts: 80

Two small points.

first, cartoon network already did the cartoony version of star wars, and have a large established merch catalogue with those looks. we wont likely see a new cartoony SW.

Disney has also made things in exactly the same maturity point. (Marvel aside) Pirates of the C anyone? So any concerns that "all they do is kid stuff" is pretty unfounded. the skeleton crew of the first pirates movie is Not mickey mouse.

and for a bonus, it means that there are two disney princesses for my daughter to want to become,