Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

Comments

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

well there is this game which was and still is nothing but hype campaign with no substance, therefore my theory turned out to be correct , stay away from mainstream success and play the true gems

What happens when a true gem also happens to be mainstream?

Well we can compare to real life: what happened when eating healthy became mainstream, what happened when exercising on a regular basis became mainstream, what happened when equality between genders became mainstream, what happened when democracy became mainstream, what happened when having intercourse became mainstream?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

Hitler was popular.

So was disco.

The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.

image OMG quit reading my mind! GET OUTTA MY HEAD! hehe ^ ^ seriously tho you did speak exactly what i was thinking. good stuff. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

well there is this game which was and still is nothing but hype campaign with no substance, therefore my theory turned out to be correct , stay away from mainstream success and play the true gems

Well we can compare to real life: what happened when eating healthy became mainstream, what happened when exercising on a regular basis became mainstream, what happened when equality between genders became mainstream, what happened when democracy became mainstream, what happened when having intercourse became mainstream?

I think in actual practice, none of those are mainstream, they all lie firmly in the niche market.  (well, except intercourse, that one is pretty much universal worldwide) image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    Someone fix this old man's rocking chair. It must be squeaking while watching all these young whippersnappers from his porch.

You stay sassy!

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

I think in actual practice, none of those are mainstream, they all lie firmly in the niche market.  (well, except intercourse, that one is pretty much universal worldwide) image

In several countries, specially among certain generations, those are mainstream. 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Doesn't matter. If you bring up up the Nazis or Hitler you lose the argument.

Kind of dubious if it constitutes an argument yet, as of the first response.

But you knew you were adopting a predjudicial stance, and so expected an argument, right?

(Careful, that's the classic, original definiton of "troll")

Its not prejudice, its an observation. Healthy critisism towards self-righteous posters who've become increasingly vocal lately. Anything mainstream is trash and anything they like and its under-appreciated.

Psh...

Ah! you're talking about GW2 fans then.... no wait a minute that must be wrong because GW2 is mainstream and under appreciated for its revolutionary gameplay, gamers just don't get it... that doesn't make sense when held up against your argument does it?

Is GW2 under appreciated?

Thats the feeling I get from fans.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Ah! you're talking about GW2 fans then.... no wait a minute that must be wrong because GW2 is mainstream and under appreciated for its revolutionary gameplay, gamers just don't get it... that doesn't make sense when held up against your argument does it?

Buh whut?

"There's a thread somewhere on mmorpg.com that isn't about GW2! Let's see if I can derail it."

Ah! but this is essence of why this thread exists in the first place, root out the source of the problem and ye shall be FREE!

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Quirhid   Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters... Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it. I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece. So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse. There. I said it. I feel better for it.
      Everywhere? Name 1 member that fits your description and the quotes to back it up. I haven't seen a single member here who hates only mainstream big budget mmos and loves only small obscure mmos. I'm waiting patiently :)
    It is supposed to be a reference, but off the top of my head I don't remember from where. Who fits the bill? -Basically your average forum dweller who bashes every modern MMO out there with every chance they get, talks about the good ol' days, hypes up indie MMOs and gets excited whenever the word sandbox gets thrown around.

I know many MMO purists too which fit the description, but I don't keep a list, sorry.

Ah ok so basically youre just whining about an overall feeling without thinking too much about reality. Thanks! Btw most people on these forums that like indie, old school, sandbox games also play the new shinies that come out every year. They may complain but they put up the cash and get their hands dirty. Part of me thinks you are referring to these 1 day old alt accounts that pop up everyday, talking trash about everything. In which case id say stop getting trolled to the point where youre making hipster hate threads haha. Try to remember where youre at and the context: an internet forum about mmorpgs.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

You're not on the soap box?  You've entered the thread, stepped up to the pulpit for correction or edification.  Does one need to be the OP of the thread to stand on the soap box?

As long as he's still occupying his soap box, then yes.  By definition.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

1. "Shitty" is a subjective term. So yes, people play "shitty games" in the opinions of others. Now some actually come out and try and point out why they feel said games are "shitty". Amazingly enough it has fk all to do with being a hipster. At no point do people say others are not getting something out of said games btw, so not sure what the point of that bit was.

2. If you use popularity as an argument for the quality of a product, then you have lost said argument. If you turn around and try to explain why the mechanics are popular, then well done, you have a good case. If you just say "well it's popular so ergo it's quality", then the /facepalm reply is never going to be far away. And with good reason.

I'll ignore the flat earth comment as it was utterly pointless.

Ehh..? The right way to disprove my argument would be either to show that people indeed play bad games voluntarily or that there is something else which attracts players other than quality. Sort of what Deivos was doing a couple of posts back although he was digressing quite a bit.

You just grasp onto the terms I use which I can easily replace if they are not to your liking. You get nowhere by doing this. Instead, show me why the logic is wrong.

And if you think my logic is wrong. What explanation do you offer for popularity? Furthermore, do you think two games, one popular and one unpopular, are equals? Wouldn't you say the more popular one is more succesful and likely better than the other?

Popularity is evidence of some quality. I have always formed it like that. I never said popularity means its a quality product. WoW does something right. Rift does something right. Eve does something right. GW2 does something right. They are not full of shit, like some of the posters claim.

If we turn this around, I can claim that "unpopularity is a sign that something is wrong". Which goes to say Mortal Online, Darkfall, Fallen Earth, Xsyon, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online etc. have done something wrong or have serious flaws in them.

I judge no one for liking any of those games. I am merely observing the popularity of games and what it tells us about said games. And to tie this to my original post. I despise people who dislike games because of their popularity, and their need to brand the said games and their players to justify their position. They don't say "too mainstream" - they say "its a WoW-clone", "ez-mode MMO", "the players are sheep", "another game for the console generation" or whatever.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

1. "Shitty" is a subjective term. So yes, people play "shitty games" in the opinions of others. Now some actually come out and try and point out why they feel said games are "shitty". Amazingly enough it has fk all to do with being a hipster. At no point do people say others are not getting something out of said games btw, so not sure what the point of that bit was.

2. If you use popularity as an argument for the quality of a product, then you have lost said argument. If you turn around and try to explain why the mechanics are popular, then well done, you have a good case. If you just say "well it's popular so ergo it's quality", then the /facepalm reply is never going to be far away. And with good reason.

Ehh..? The right way to disprove my argument would be either to show that people indeed play bad games voluntarily or that there is something else which attracts players other than quality. Sort of what Deivos was doing a couple of posts back although he was digressing quite a bit.

You just grasp onto the terms I use which I can easily replace if they are not to your liking. You get nowhere by doing this. Instead, show me why the logic is wrong.

And if you think my logic is wrong. What explanation do you offer for popularity? Furthermore, do you think two games, one popular and one unpopular, are equals? Wouldn't you say the more popular one is more succesful and likely better than the other?

Trends, bandwagon effect, peer pressure, marketting.  That's what got I was able to though fast.  I am sure there I missed something. 

Decision making is a process that is not purely rational thing where we only weight objective measureable indicators.

Originally posted by fenistil

Trends, bandwagon effect, peer pressure, marketting.  That's what got I was able to though fast.  I am sure there I missed something. 

Decision making is a process that is not purely rational thing where we only weight objective measureable indicators.

Thats why people may buy them. But like with STO, they didn't stay very long. Not that the time is directly proportional to quality, but when people find out what the game is about and how it is, they quit pretty soon if they don't like it.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

"I still play because my friends are still playing"

"I still play because of community ingame"

"I still play because I invested so much time and effort over the years"

"I still play because [developer name] I support all their games"

"I still play because [developer name] is great and will change(or revert changes) what I don't like in future surely."

-------------------

Even if you don't agree with any of the above there is one thing. There is no objective quality to games that you can measure, at least not in a sense you seem to imply. Quality is not a sum of how many people like certain game. If more people like certain game it just mean that more people like it. Not more not less. 

What could be used as measureable objective quality of a game is things like: number of bugs, number of quests or classes or races and so on, how fast bugs and exploit get fixed, how fast Consumer Support resolve problems and so on. Still even those things are not easily measureable and especially comparable between games. Most importantly though while they have impact, sometimes great impact on game success it is not absolute one. There were and are games that released polished and with good support and failed and there are games that weren't as much polished and with bad support and succeded.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Paradigm68

What an amazing rant for accepting what you're given uncritically.  And just because something is popular because it's good at something that doesn't mean the thing is good. McDonald's is really good at marketing. That doesn't make McDonald's good.

The point is: there is no "fine dining" in MMOs, therefore the fastfood metaphor is trashed.

There has been fine dining in MMO's. You're inability to recognize it, doesn't mean it's not true.

We have only your word for it. What prevents anyone from claiming their preferred game is fine dining?

You need to prove that there is fine dining. I cannot prove a negative.

But my word is all that is needed. Clearly the given quality of a thing is entirely subjective and/or relative judgment. That I state there is fine dining in MMO's means there is, merely because I state it. The only way your claim that there is no find dining in MMO's can hold up, is if no one disagrees with you. I disagreed with you. So, you're wrong.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by evolver1972 Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.   Hitler was popular.   So was disco.   The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.
    Wow, it only took the first reponse to the OP to mention Hitler.  New record?
    Perfect example of my first statement.  :)

I also mentioned *gasp* disco!  :P

Somehow I doubt that you were around for the Disco era.

And no, he wasn't popular, a whole war to fight him an all... he was very charismatic to his countrymen, and he had meth in the soldiers water lol.

But nice job on the exaggerated and extremely attention seeking term of choice, couldn't of used something.... I don't know modern and familiar? Like... cars, soda, Justin Beiber?

Originally posted by fenistil

"I still play because my friends are still playing"

"I still play because of community ingame"

"I still play because I invested so much time and effort over the years"

"I still play because [developer name] I support all their games"

"I still play because [developer name] is great and will change(or revert changes) what I don't like in future surely."

-------------------

Even if you don't agree with any of the above there is one thing. There is no objective quality to games that you can measure, at least not in a sense you seem to imply. Quality is not a sum of how many people like certain game. If more people like certain game it just mean that more people like it. Not more not less. 

What could be used as measureable objective quality of a game is things like: number of bugs, number of quests or classes or races and so on, how fast bugs and exploit get fixed, how fast Consumer Support resolve problems and so on. Still even those things are not easily measureable and especially comparable between games. Most importantly though while they have impact, sometimes great impact on game success it is not absolute one. There were and are games that released polished and with good support and failed and there are games that weren't as much polished and with bad support and succeded.

All of those reasons are... I would never play a game because of that - and I'm sure some people do, but it is hardly widespread enough to make a serious impact.

Popularity is an objective measure as much as bugs per lines of code is*. And I've never said its an absolute one. Like I mentioned in a previous post, I've always formed it "popularity is evidence of some quality". If you've read anything else its just other posters misquoting / misreading my meaning.

*(BTW the number of quests, classes or races are definitely NOT a measure of quality)

We have only your word for it. What prevents anyone from claiming their preferred game is fine dining?

But my word is all that is needed. Clearly the given quality of a thing is entirely subjective and/or relative judgment. That I state there is fine dining in MMO's means there is, merely because I state it. The only way your claim that there is no find dining in MMO's can hold up, is if no one disagrees with you. I disagreed with you. So, you're wrong.

So let me get this straight: Anyone can claim their game is fine dining?

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Yep. Your opinion that there is no fine dining is negated as being a fact by other people's opinion that there is fine dining. Isn't that obvious?

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Really, it's ok that you enjoy "Mcdonald's equivalent" mmos, there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of people do. Hell, I used to play what are now considered tired old theme park titles that were designed to appeal to the masses and were marketed as such. For a time I enjoyed the product, but in the end, it just wasn't for me.

I moved on to other games that weren't as popular, but they suited my tastes much better. I never cared about the popularity factor, it was all about the product itself.

I do not share the tastes of the masses when it comes to current mmos, or music. I do however genuinely appreciate many movies from past to current ones. It's not about popularity, which is irrelevant, it's all about the product and how it mixes with me. As Humans rippen with age, this hipster mentality seems to diminish ever increasingly. Some people never truly "grow up" so sure it's always there, but unless you're still in high school or in the first half of your twenties, why this is such an issue for you is beyond me.  

Teenage drama for the most part, if you're looking through my eyes.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

Teenage drama for the most part, if you're looking through my eyes.

Without the drama queens, we wouldn't have much of a forum, yes?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Why is it important to you that others like what is popular?  Are the people on the bandwagon that insecure?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Address your questions, and they'll get more answers I suspect.

Yep. Your opinion that there is no fine dining is negated as being a fact by other people's opinion that there is fine dining. Isn't that obvious?

If anyone can claim any game is fine dining and by doing so makes it true, don't you think it diminishes the whole notion? Afterall, the whole idea is to set your preference above everyone else's. You see if every game is fine dining, none is.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Popularity is evidence of some quality. I have always formed it like that. I never said popularity means its a quality product. WoW does something right. Rift does something right. Eve does something right. GW2 does something right. They are not full of shit, like some of the posters claim.

If we turn this around, I can claim that "unpopularity is a sign that something is wrong". Which goes to say Mortal Online, Darkfall, Fallen Earth, Xsyon, Vanguard, Warhammer Online, Star Trek Online etc. have done something wrong or have serious flaws in them.

I judge no one for liking any of those games. I am merely observing the popularity of games and what it tells us about said games. And to tie this to my original post. I despise people who dislike games because of their popularity, and their need to brand the said games and their players to justify their position. They don't say "too mainstream" - they say "its a WoW-clone", "ez-mode MMO", "the players are sheep", "another game for the console generation" or whatever.

Accessibility.

Marketing.

Ease of use.

Cost.

Getting there first in the market and grabbing market share.

Time it takes to get into.

Carrot dangling progression.

Players knowing other players and not wanting to leave them.

Players not wanting to lose "their stuffz".

Players not knowing what else is on the market/on offer.

Loyalty to a particular brand/IP.

Loyalty to a particular type of game.

There are plenty of drivers for both popularity and for longevity of sorts, non of which you would classically attribute to "quality".

Popularity points to the potential that there is some quality there for some people, but when a forum poster says a game is good or bad, that is their subjective view. A billion people can play GW2 and someone who doesn't like it can say it is a "shit game" and that has NOTHING to do with him/her saying that because it is popular, it is because they think the mechanics are in their mind "shit".

Your analogy shows how retarded the whole popularity as a yardstick for quality is. Do I think two games, one popular and one unpopular are equal in quality?

Well it depends really, do they both have exactly the same mechanics?

Do they both have exactly the same advertising budget and reach out to exactly the same userbase?

Do they both appeal to the same userbase?

Because if they don't have pretty much exactly the same parameters, then saying one is more popular than the other due to quality is a false argument, when you should instead be looking at what makes the games tick.

And that's the trouble isn't it, people use the whole "popularity = quality" argument for products aimed at completely different audiences, with completely different mechanics, with completely different levels of accessibility and cost

If you are telling me that a game which can be played in a five minute pick up session for a quick blast and accessed through a browser, is more popular than one which takes hours to get into and requires a monthly sub, because of "quality" then you are, quite frankly, mad.

You could make an exceptionally high quality product, if that product is not as accessibile to as many people or is in some way "niche", whilst it may be more popular than it's direct niche peers, it will not be as popular as something more accessible and less niche. Amazing stuff.

Btw "Wow-clone", "easymode", "player sheep" and "console generation" may well be crappy old slurs, but non of them have anything whatsoever to do with popularity......

So popularity may point ot a product having quality, but it isn't clear cut, so the comment I made earlier stands, If you just cite popularity as proof of quality then you will get /facepalmed in response. If though you go and point out exactly what makes a product quality in your mind, then you have a good debate on your hands.

I don't like most modern mmos and I can assure you I am neither a hipster, nor do I like/dislike things based on how many other people like/dislike them.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Unfortunately for Quirhid, just because he does not like an analogy does not make it wrong. :)

We have had a few discussions before based around this topic. People do like big Mac’s and the company is making a mint. But that does not prove intrinsic quality, it is a fair analogy, like it or not.

As for an analogy for the future of gaming, I would suggest a sweet shop. The length of time you need to eat fast food will be too long to represent where MMO’s are heading. Casualness will be enhanced, lobby style gameplay advanced, the speed you get to top level increased. So something like a bag of candy as our analogy for future MMO’s will fit the bill better.