Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Disney Deal

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

George Lucas has sold the Lucas empire to Disney for the sum of $4.05 billion and we've got some thoughts to share on the subject, including what it could mean for MMO fans and SWTOR going forward.

From reading reactions around the internets, it seems that most people are reacting fairly well to this news. Honestly, when it comes to Star Wars, George Lucas essentially retired (with regards to Star Wars) after the original trilogy. Heck, maybe even after the first film! Aside from the prequel trilogy, George only directed A New Hope, after all. In the years since the original trilogy debuted, it seemed to me that George simply kept a tight grip on his IP and would occasionally tweak the films out of, I don’t know, perhaps boredom, but often to fans’ displeasure. George eventually got the idea that he was ready to direct the prequel trilogy and we all know how that turned out.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Disney Deal.

Comments

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I wouldn't be expecting any new Star Wars MMO's anytime soon.

They still think they can fix SWTOR.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    4 billion dollars ?!  Holy...
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    There will be a new Star Wars MMO eventually, it's inevitable. I'm betting SW:TOR will be an enormous success as it relaunches F2P,  but with a new trilogy, new characters, new events in the world, a new MMO is going to happen eventually. It won't be in the next year or two but maybe within 4 or 5 we will have a title and relative release date. I'm looking forward to a revitalized Star Wars franchise. Despite all the jokes about the Disney acquisition, they've handled the Marvel movies spectacularly, Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, Chronicles of Narnia, they are all very original and extremely well done. Disney's NOT stupid, and I would be shocked beyond belief if they did anything to alter the essence of Star Wars at all.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Might want to reconsider some of that as according to Disney, to quote: “We’re likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console,” said Disney CEO Robert Iger during a conference call. ”We’ll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they’ve already demonstrated to the other platform."

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    IDK with all the restrictions being put on SWTOR you might as well pay 14.99$ a month anyway. I mean thare charging for SKILL bars!!!! WTF isup with that?
  • DarkOmegaDarkOmega Member Posts: 28
    Hopefully it won't be Star Wars ala Pirates of the Carribean style MMO lol
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Does anyone know if Lucus retained the Law Firm he had with Lucusarts or not that would speak volumes.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Does anyone know if Lucus kept his Law Firm he had with Lucusarts that would speak volumes.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

People might as well start bitching now about the next trilogy not being like the Thrawn Trilogy and get it over with.  I foresee much nerd rage. 

If a planned release for episode VII is 2015 then I wouldn't expect another SW MMO until around 2020 at the soonest.  The MMO market will be a whole other animal by then so who knows what it'll be like.  I'm guessing with the new wave of more twitch-centric MMOs it will be in line with that.  Don't expect it to be anything like SWG or SWTOR.  It will be healthier if people just accept the fact SWG or anything like it will never be back...at least not with the SW IP. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Pocket change to disney.

The Walt Disney Company assets total $55.45 billion and their market value is $57.20 billion.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Shodanas

Pocket change to disney.

The Walt Disney Company assets total $55.45 billion and their market value is $57.20 billion.

Yeah, they are a pretty poor preformer for such a big name company. Suprised Apple hasn't gobbled them up yet. ;)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I get the feeling Disney's idea to boost TOR's revenues will be to turn it into a cartoonish clone wars game.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    I seriously doubt Disney will produce a Star Wars-based MMORPG for several years if ever.
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Hopefully Disney has a clue and will rerelease the original trilogy in a remastered, yet completely unaltered, state on DVD and BluRay.

No Special Editions, I want to see those classic films as they originally appeared in the theatre.

• EyesgoodEyesgood Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Bring back SWG!
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    I can see this:  a Kingdom Hearts MMORPG with Disney, Marvel, Final Fantasy and Star Wars worlds and characters, holy crap!!!!!! IP gasm!
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

as mentioned it can at least not get much worse... And Marvel seems to do pretty well under the rule of the big mouse.

Buuuuuut for ToR i think this will equal jack... ToR is EA's deal and the only time they will have to deal with the new owner is whenm the licens is up for renewal.

This have been a good conversation

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    If they create a new MMO set during ep VII to IX and beyond then players can have jedi presumable trained by Luke and his own pupils. Sith too, it is bound to show up plus surviving characters from the films can make an appearance, multiplayer star-ship combat too. Basically SWG but with an explainable rational for large Jedi numbers in a post-Vader era.
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Might want to reconsider some of that as according to Disney, to quote: “We’re likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console,” said Disney CEO Robert Iger during a conference call. We’ll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they’ve already demonstrated to the other platform."

They (Disney) are saying they won't make/publish their own console games, but they will license other people to do so.

Which is what both SWG and SWTOR were/are: Made under license.

• Dward127Dward127 Member Posts: 46
    this is the death of  the old star wars and the birth of the new cartoony version of star wars. wonder if they will reboot  the whole universe where  anakin  skywalker never became darth vader and the old republic never fell to the emperor.
  • LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Eyesgood
    Bring back SWG!

Keep wishing upon a star and your dreams may come true.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Dward127
    this is the death of  the old star wars and the birth of the new cartoony version of star wars. wonder if they will reboot  the whole universe where  anakin  skywalker never became darth vader and the old republic never fell to the emperor.

lol do people even know what disney does nowadays? aparently not... disney is the best thing that has happened to Marvel movies in.. well... ever

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Dward127

lol do people even know what disney does nowadays? aparently not... disney is the best thing that has happened to Marvel movies in.. well... ever

Not to mention, most already consider the prequels the death of the old Star Wars.  Even a cartoon from disney might have been preferrable.  

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Disney hasn't really created anything original in recent memory.  Instead, they have been buying up all the creative studios they can instead of competing against them.  They own Pixar, Marvel, The Muppets, to name a few.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Disney buying Lucas thing.  On one hand, Lucas has lost whatever thing he had back when the original trilogy came out.  One of the primary reasons the prequels were released in the state they were is because no one questioned Lucas' decisions.   So taking the decisions away from Lucas and Lucas alone can be a very good thing for SW.  Disney is a very big company.  The decisions for the movie will not be handled by one person as they had before (which can be good and bad).

Disney has the manpower and finances to pull this through and get a new SW movie out in three years.  Question is...will it be any good?  No one knows as of yet.  But I am certainly of a belief that it cannot be worse than the prequels.   Chances are it definitely won't be as good as the original trilogy. On the bright side, the prequels have definitely lowered the excpectations of the SW franchise. So hopefully this time people won't go in expecting to see the one film to rule them all.

I really don't think Episode VII can go anywhere but up from the last batch.

I do sort of wish they would do the Thrawn trilogy as 7-9 but from what I read that is not going to be the case.

As for the bad...well, it's Disney afterall.  I'm really not keen on seeing episodes 10+ being straight to DVD releases like CInderella 2, 3 and whatever number they are on now.   I'm also a little worried about the speed to which they are going to be releasing these films.

Question will be how this will affect TOR...I really don't know but Lucas has had such a stranglehold on everything SW that he really limited what could be done with it.  It's his IP...I get that....But I don't think he made the best creative decisions in the past.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    A lot of us are hoping that Disney will tell ea to get with the program or get out.