Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Tuesday, August 30. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

Greed Monger - A Crafting Focused MMORPG

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

this does sonud interesting..

as others have mentioned if land = power and you can buy land with real money then its clearly pay to win..

Still I will keep an eye on this one and see how your development comes along..

Good luck :)

• MogusMogus Anderson, OHPosts: 169Member

Land Ownership is just a part of the overall game experience. Owning land and being inactive doesn't help you at all. A player with no land that works hard can easily achieve more than someone who owns 4 parcels of land and doest little.

Kickstarter campaign will be launching this week. Please visit our forums for lots of your questions that are being answered over there.

Thanks so much for your support here.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• JamesPJamesP Portland, MEPosts: 479Member Uncommon

Hello, I'm James Proctor! I'm one of the Programmers for Greed Monger.

I've seen some people upset about the fact that we are charging for the Ownership of Land. That right there is THE ONLY thing we are charging for. We don't have some $15 per month subscription fee, No Cash shop, No other way to keep money flowing in to keep the Servers online for you guys. Running a MMO isn't cheap between Hardware costs, Bandwidth costs, and other costs that creep up on us from time to time.

Some games such as SecondLife charge a whole lot more then $20 for their land ownership and add a maintance fee on top of that per month. Plus with SecondLife it's kind of hard to really do anything at all with out owning some land. In Greed Monger you will still be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of the game with out ever owning any land.

Well that's enough from me for now! I really can't wait until our Kick Starter Campaign gets going and we can show you guys what we have been working on!

Company Owner
    MMO Interactive
    Greed Monger

http://www.greedmonger.net/forum/index.php

• KalafaxKalafax Gainesville, FLPosts: 536Member Uncommon
    Looks very promising, I will definitly be watching it

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

Thank you Dalgor!

We really appreciate the support.

www.greedmonger.com

• VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,698Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Hello, I'm James Proctor! I'm one of the Programmers for Greed Monger.   I've seen some people upset about the fact that we are charging for the Ownership of Land. That right there is THE ONLY thing we are charging for. We don't have some $15 per month subscription fee, No Cash shop, No other way to keep money flowing in to keep the Servers online for you guys. Running a MMO isn't cheap between Hardware costs, Bandwidth costs, and other costs that creep up on us from time to time. Some games such as SecondLife charge a whole lot more then $20 for their land ownership and add a maintance fee on top of that per month. Plus with SecondLife it's kind of hard to really do anything at all with out owning some land. In Greed Monger you will still be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of the game with out ever owning any land.   Well that's enough from me for now! I really can't wait until our Kick Starter Campaign gets going and we can show you guys what we have been working on!

I am not sure people here are 'upset'..? I think they are just asking reasonable questions and giving valid thoughts on it. I don't sense much emotion here at all in tbh. I think folks are just questioning how your model would affect them in the long run if they couldn't afford to spend the money on land to stay competitive. I think that's reasonable. I don't think anyone is challenging your right to make an income :)

I, like others here, wish you guys luck. The more variety in the MMORPG space the better.

• VengerVenger Posts: 1,290Member Uncommon
    Very interesting idea.
  • DeriumsDeriums akron, OHPosts: 38Member
    Originally posted by JamesP
    Hello, I'm James Proctor! I'm one of the Programmers for Greed Monger.   I've seen some people upset about the fact that we are charging for the Ownership of Land. That right there is THE ONLY thing we are charging for. We don't have some $15 per month subscription fee, No Cash shop, No other way to keep money flowing in to keep the Servers online for you guys. Running a MMO isn't cheap between Hardware costs, Bandwidth costs, and other costs that creep up on us from time to time. Some games such as SecondLife charge a whole lot more then $20 for their land ownership and add a maintance fee on top of that per month. Plus with SecondLife it's kind of hard to really do anything at all with out owning some land. In Greed Monger you will still be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of the game with out ever owning any land.   Well that's enough from me for now! I really can't wait until our Kick Starter Campaign gets going and we can show you guys what we have been working on!

Is there an upkeep cost? If not what would happen after a few years when the surge of players stop and your income drops a lot?

• blognorgblognorg Roseburg, ORPosts: 643Member

This game sounds very cool so far. I will definitely be tossing some money towards it when it launches on Kickstarter.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by blognorg
    This game sounds very cool so far. I will definitely be tossing some money towards it when it launches on Kickstarter.

Too many great "sounding" kickstarters...

Personally though- I would prefer to see the game befor I give anything.. The "value" of the land being a finite thing would make it retain value...This is good. But the dev could make new land faster than the federal reserve prints money and devalue all existing claims to the point where reselling will potentially lose you money.

i.e. I get lucky with a plot of land that has a very rare spawn- Next update the landmass triples and that rare spawn is now commonplace to a new rare spawn (which only shows up in the "new area")

So far I think this game looks cool- I AM interested. But Kickstarter is the new... Scary direction for the industry IMHO. Some really great stuff coming from these community funded projects but far more scams- I guess I am just overly cautios about where my money goes.

I would also like to see a "Kickstarter" type deal where you actually get some ownership in the company- A bit of stock, something tangible. Not "pay us now to make a game later and get a prize"

-Again- This is no offence to you guys making this- Just my thoughts on Kickstarter where I am seeing games funded being made with RPG Maker VX and people getting m oney to eat lunch (google it...) =/

Originally posted by SaintPhilip Originally posted by blognorg This game sounds very cool so far. I will definitely be tossing some money towards it when it launches on Kickstarter.
    Too many great "sounding" kickstarters... Personally though- I would prefer to see the game befor I give anything.. The "value" of the land being a finite thing would make it retain value...This is good. But the dev could make new land faster than the federal reserve prints money and devalue all existing claims to the point where reselling will potentially lose you money. i.e. I get lucky with a plot of land that has a very rare spawn- Next update the landmass triples and that rare spawn is now commonplace to a new rare spawn (which only shows up in the "new area") So far I think this game looks cool- I AM interested. But Kickstarter is the new... Scary direction for the industry IMHO. Some really great stuff coming from these community funded projects but far more scams- I guess I am just overly cautios about where my money goes. I would also like to see a "Kickstarter" type deal where you actually get some ownership in the company- A bit of stock, something tangible. Not "pay us now to make a game later and get a prize" -Again- This is no offence to you guys making this- Just my thoughts on Kickstarter where I am seeing games funded being made with RPG Maker VX and people getting m oney to eat lunch (google it...) =/

I don't consider scams a valid excuse not to donate. It's like a fear of flying; sure, bad shit can happen, but it's not in the data.

Kickstarter isn't perfect, but my qualms with it don't include donor entitlement. Vying for ownership of a product on Kickstarter seems like a terrible idea, and it goes against the point of crown funding.

Lastly, even if I give $20 or $30, and I end up not liking the game, at least it goes toward passionate developers trying to create something new, not some money-driven corporate scheme to squeeze revenue out of an established IP. It's not like I'm throwing my life-savings at them and risking losing my house. I don't know why people treat it like that. It's money that I'm giving up voluntarily, regardless of the outcome. Most people going into Kickstarter realizing that, and I only really hear the people that don't donate complain about it.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Bree, MIPosts: 713Member
    Originally posted by blognorg
      Originally posted by SaintPhilip Originally posted by blognorg This game sounds very cool so far. I will definitely be tossing some money towards it when it launches on Kickstarter.
    Too many great "sounding" kickstarters... Personally though- I would prefer to see the game befor I give anything.. The "value" of the land being a finite thing would make it retain value...This is good. But the dev could make new land faster than the federal reserve prints money and devalue all existing claims to the point where reselling will potentially lose you money. i.e. I get lucky with a plot of land that has a very rare spawn- Next update the landmass triples and that rare spawn is now commonplace to a new rare spawn (which only shows up in the "new area") So far I think this game looks cool- I AM interested. But Kickstarter is the new... Scary direction for the industry IMHO. Some really great stuff coming from these community funded projects but far more scams- I guess I am just overly cautios about where my money goes. I would also like to see a "Kickstarter" type deal where you actually get some ownership in the company- A bit of stock, something tangible. Not "pay us now to make a game later and get a prize" -Again- This is no offence to you guys making this- Just my thoughts on Kickstarter where I am seeing games funded being made with RPG Maker VX and people getting m oney to eat lunch (google it...) =/

I don't consider scams a valid excuse not to donate. It's like a fear of flying; sure, bad shit can happen, but it's not in the data.

Kickstarter isn't perfect, but my qualms with it don't include donor entitlement. Vying for ownership of a product on Kickstarter seems like a terrible idea, and it goes against the point of crown funding.

Lastly, even if I give $20 or $30, and I end up not liking the game, at least it goes toward passionate developers trying to create something new, not some money-driven corporate scheme to squeeze revenue out of an established IP. It's not like I'm throwing my life-savings at them and risking losing my house. I don't know why people treat it like that. It's money that I'm giving up voluntarily, regardless of the outcome. Most people going into Kickstarter realizing that, and I only really hear the people that don't donate complain about it.

Yes, I agree-

I guess my position wasnt explained well... It isnt JUST the scams but the amount of games which SOUND great. I could literally spend a years salary helping fund games I want to play because of an "idea" and have no clue if the devs even have the ability and means to keep their promises...

Look at the hype on Beta games- Then the "best thing ever" becomes pretty stale- Now we are getting hype on games which arent even close to being made- And the hype which goes with them.

I personally have helped fund 2 kickstarts. One didnt work out and was by some pretty "hard hitters" in the Industry and the other is already 95% complete and I played a beta for it like 15 years ago lol.

If I gave 10- 20 dollars to every game on kickstarter which I wanted to see funded due to good ideals and dev communication - I would be broke.

And what is the ratio for games which actually have worked out being community funded? Anything yet?

EDIT: To me this is like gambling with real money to win virual goods- Again, give me a stake in the profit IF the game succeeds... That is what I would like. Community funded and the community can (potentially) profit. But ... Just my humble opinion on this trend.

Originally posted by SaintPhilip Originally posted by blognorg   Originally posted by SaintPhilip Originally posted by blognorg This game sounds very cool so far. I will definitely be tossing some money towards it when it launches on Kickstarter.
        I don't consider scams a valid excuse not to donate. It's like a fear of flying; sure, bad shit can happen, but it's not in the data. Kickstarter isn't perfect, but my qualms with it don't include donor entitlement. Vying for ownership of a product on Kickstarter seems like a terrible idea, and it goes against the point of crown funding. Lastly, even if I give $20 or $30, and I end up not liking the game, at least it goes toward passionate developers trying to create something new, not some money-driven corporate scheme to squeeze revenue out of an established IP. It's not like I'm throwing my life-savings at them and risking losing my house. I don't know why people treat it like that. It's money that I'm giving up voluntarily, regardless of the outcome. Most people going into Kickstarter realizing that, and I only really hear the people that don't donate complain about it.
    Yes, I agree- I guess my position wasnt explained well... It isnt JUST the scams but the amount of games which SOUND great. I could literally spend a years salary helping fund games I want to play because of an "idea" and have no clue if the devs even have the ability and means to keep their promises... Look at the hype on Beta games- Then the "best thing ever" becomes pretty stale- Now we are getting hype on games which arent even close to being made- And the hype which goes with them. I personally have helped fund 2 kickstarts. One didnt work out and was by some pretty "hard hitters" in the Industry and the other is already 95% complete and I played a beta for it like 15 years ago lol. If I gave 10- 20 dollars to every game on kickstarter which I wanted to see funded due to good ideals and dev communication - I would be broke. And what is the ratio for games which actually have worked out being community funded? Anything yet? EDIT: To me this is like gambling with real money to win virual goods- Again, give me a stake in the profit IF the game succeeds... That is what I would like. Community funded and the community can (potentially) profit. But ... Just my humble opinion on this trend.

Admittedly, I find myself in the same position (wanting to donate to tons of games). The "system" that I developed for myself is that I only donate if I feel I will play the game based on what I know about it. That usually takes the number down considerably. However, I find that I have a soft spot for MMOs... for a few reasons. Mainly, it's because I haven't found a mainstream MMO that I can really get into. I'm at the point where graphics and spectacle aren't huge draws for me anymore; I'm more interested in ideas and mechanics. Secondly, there aren't many MMOs on Kickstarter, and it's not a huge burden to support all of them that I find interesting. I still disagree that donors should have a "stock" in the game itself. Like I said before, that's the point of crowd funding, so that the developer doesn't have to answer to outside investors leeching off of their work. Also, because donating should out of love for games, and the want to see others with the same passion succeed, not because you want to get something out of it. Why do people need to be motivated for selfish reasons?

Hello SaintPhillip and Blognorg,

I'm very much enjoying the discussion. I completely understand and agree with you Phillip. And as for the fear of flying comment, I definately fit that bill. I'm 7ft tall and 315lbs. I dont do planes. The last flight I took was with my new wife on our honeymoon after she got me ripped to and from the beach.

As far as Kickstarter and the idea of scams and the like. Let's face it, I'm not a gaming industry tycoon or a veteran of blizzard or something, but I'm passionaite about gaming and am a good business man with a track record for success in any field I'm in. I've been a trailblazer in MMA promotion and when I originally got involved in the sport, it was just to lose weight as part of a fight team.

I've made arrangements to be able to fund this games development to completion without Kickstarter if neccessary but it's also a double bladed sword because through Kickstarter, I'm able to truly quantify the level of interest in what I'm putting so much time and money into. So, without the Kickstarter community showing their interest by putting up a few bucks to support the game, I may end up wondering if I'm doing all of this just to develop a game I'd be playing alone. So, what do you do?

I believe the Kickstarter Campaign will be successful (planning on launching it on Sunday), and though I expect some ups and downs in development, I think many skeptics will be pleasantly surprised and after launch, I hope to be able to have the resources we really need to take things to a whole new level.

Time will tell.

All I ask of anyone who can't afford to support the Kickstarter campaign or is skepitcal at all is to join our community on the GreedMonger forums and help spread the word to others who can be skepitcal with you. In time, we will win you over. :)

Be well.

www.greedmonger.com

• Goll25Goll25 bath, PAPosts: 187Member Uncommon
    My hats off too you, this looks immensly interesting. This is the shit i plan on seeing with kickstarter being around, MMO players making the games free of publishers infringing.

Originally posted by Mogus Hello SaintPhillip and Blognorg,  I'm very much enjoying the discussion. I completely understand and agree with you Phillip. And as for the fear of flying comment, I definately fit that bill. I'm 7ft tall and 315lbs. I dont do planes. The last flight I took was with my new wife on our honeymoon after she got me ripped to and from the beach. As far as Kickstarter and the idea of scams and the like. Let's face it, I'm not a gaming industry tycoon or a veteran of blizzard or something, but I'm passionaite about gaming and am a good business man with a track record for success in any field I'm in. I've been a trailblazer in MMA promotion and when I originally got involved in the sport, it was just to lose weight as part of a fight team. I've made arrangements to be able to fund this games development to completion without Kickstarter if neccessary but it's also a double bladed sword because through Kickstarter, I'm able to truly quantify the level of interest in what I'm putting so much time and money into. So, without the Kickstarter community showing their interest by putting up a few bucks to support the game, I may end up wondering if I'm doing all of this just to develop a game I'd be playing alone. So, what do you do? I believe the Kickstarter Campaign will be successful (planning on launching it on Sunday), and though I expect some ups and downs in development, I think many skeptics will be pleasantly surprised and after launch, I hope to be able to have the resources we really need to take things to a whole new level. Time will tell. All I ask of anyone who can't afford to support the Kickstarter campaign or is skepitcal at all is to join our community on the GreedMonger forums and help spread the word to others who can be skepitcal with you. In time, we will win you over. :) Be well.

Well, my fear of flying comment was directed at the statistics of a plane crash; they're pretty low, and so is the ratio of scammers on Kickstarter. It's good to hear about your good track record in business, but I'm not all that concerned with what people have done so much in the past as I am in ideas for the future (there are qualifiers that go with that of course). Your game has some awesome ideas from what I know so far, and I think your method for monetization is fantastic. I wish you the best on Kickstarter, even though MMOs haven't had the best of luck with it. My theory in this is that MMOs are still a pretty niche genre, despite WoW's popularity. For many, WoW is the only game they play and aren't even looking for anything else, especially something vastly different. There most certainly is a market for MMOs, but it's become a little saturated and its expansion has outpaced its user base. Unfortunately, there's not a while lot of diversity in all that noise, so when truly original and good ideas come out of the woodworks, I tend to jump all over it.

• DSWBeefDSWBeef phoenix, AZPosts: 791Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mogus
    Hello SaintPhillip and Blognorg,  I'm very much enjoying the discussion. I completely understand and agree with you Phillip. And as for the fear of flying comment, I definately fit that bill. I'm 7ft tall and 315lbs. I dont do planes. The last flight I took was with my new wife on our honeymoon after she got me ripped to and from the beach. As far as Kickstarter and the idea of scams and the like. Let's face it, I'm not a gaming industry tycoon or a veteran of blizzard or something, but I'm passionaite about gaming and am a good business man with a track record for success in any field I'm in. I've been a trailblazer in MMA promotion and when I originally got involved in the sport, it was just to lose weight as part of a fight team. I've made arrangements to be able to fund this games development to completion without Kickstarter if neccessary but it's also a double bladed sword because through Kickstarter, I'm able to truly quantify the level of interest in what I'm putting so much time and money into. So, without the Kickstarter community showing their interest by putting up a few bucks to support the game, I may end up wondering if I'm doing all of this just to develop a game I'd be playing alone. So, what do you do? I believe the Kickstarter Campaign will be successful (planning on launching it on Sunday), and though I expect some ups and downs in development, I think many skeptics will be pleasantly surprised and after launch, I hope to be able to have the resources we really need to take things to a whole new level. Time will tell. All I ask of anyone who can't afford to support the Kickstarter campaign or is skepitcal at all is to join our community on the GreedMonger forums and help spread the word to others who can be skepitcal with you. In time, we will win you over. :) Be well.

Awesome to hear! And please come join us on the Greedmonger forums as many questiosns are being compiled and answered by myself and many other great people. 

Playing: War Thunder, World of Warcraft, and Grim Dawn
    Waiting on:Everquest Next and The Black Desert

Thank you Goll25.

We are getting ready to upload a new demo video!

www.greedmonger.com

• CalerxesCalerxes LondonPosts: 1,633Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    How does Utopian Settlers sound? I only ask because that's what we were going to name the game. Knowing what I know about the game, I feel Greed Monger is better suited, but I have heard several times how the name strikes people in a negative way.

It's hard to come up with something nice that isn't cheesy... Ascendance Online?

Just use a better version of the word Greed like.... AVARICE... and just name they game that, its short snappy and to the point.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

Call me crazy but I just love the name Greed Monger as it relates to this game.

It's hard to understand right now, but I do believe it will catch on and it's easy to remember!

www.greedmonger.com

Call me crazy but I just love the name Greed Monger as it relates to this game. It's hard to understand right now, but I do believe it will catch on and it's easy to remember!    

What's in a name? 

• ThebigthrillThebigthrill Eastpointe, MIPosts: 117Member Uncommon

Ive never supported a game on kick starter , but this will be my first.

Good job love the idea.

"Don't tell me what to do! , you're not my mod"

Saying invented by me.

That's great TheBigThrill! Glad to hear it.

The Kickstarter Campaign has been submitted for approval, so just waiting on them now!

www.greedmonger.com

The KickStarter Campaign has Officially Launched!

I've purchased a 30 day MMORPG.com Banner Campaign to help spread the word which starts Nov 3rd. They closed my other thread for Advertising but I've been a fan of this site since it was nothing and have always loved it over all others, so I'm going to keep my ads running, even though I feel a bit back handed. heh

In any case, hopefully you all enjoy what we are doing with Greed Monger and will help spread the word of our efforts. The community behind a game truly is more important than I ever realized and we are quite grateful for the growing community forming so far.

www.greedmonger.com

• Spider3Spider3 ZurichPosts: 33Member

Definitely great! THis game deserves for sure an eye of attention. The kickstarter campaign started since 2 days and the Backers already show a great support. Also the forum of the official website are very active, and what made me so confident on all this, it's the philosophy of the team and that it's not a vaporware, because a good part of the job is already done, and a beta is estimated already on April 2013. That's not a game we will need to dream for years until something real will come out. It's just around the corner! I suggest you all to check the kickstarter campaign and show your support for this game, because it's certainly deserves. And all the Ultima Online Nostalgic will agree with all this ;)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg