Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hipsters... hipsters everywhere

Comments

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Hmmmm.......I really don't know if I would refer to what's going on here as hipster. Where I come from hipster is the norm. If somebody came out and actually admitted they liked X-Factor or Knuckle draggers got talent for example, well they would be torn several new ones. On these forums for example people seem to fall into the following catagorys. You have bitter vets and pre-Nge crew. Nothing will ever be good enough for them again, but that's fair enough. Everybody needs a place to come and vent....For years and years and years and years and years and years and years....Sorry! I digress. You have people.....Sorry when I say people I mean children who pretend to be bitter vets who where not actually born when Everquest, Swg, Ultima etc where in their heyday.  The it's cool to hate wow crowd, the don't acctually like playing mmorpgs crowd , a few mavericks and some pretty decent posters. Yeah I know I am massivley generalising. What I am trying to say is I belive non-comforming is the norm nowadays. True Non-comformity in my eyes, especially around here would be to actually enjoy what you enjoy no matter if it's popular or not and not give a rats arse about  what anybody else thinks about it. You know? To actually enjoy your hobby. Just my feelings on this matter. Really enjoying this thread btw.  :)
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by fenistil
    Originally posted by Creslin321

I don't like hipsters...too mainstream ;).

Well actually hipsters are preety mainstream thing for years now.  Big clothing corporations are making hipstery-homeless style clothes,  for years every self-respecitng hipster would have iPhone or MacBook, companies producing glasses went with increased amount of retro style glasses for hipsters,  etc 

So by complaining about hipsters you're countering mainstream so you're well...hipster :p

This post is too mainstream.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Honestly Quirhid...I agree with you lol.

It seems that the more popular and well received a game is, the more hate it gets.  I mean, compare the amount of hate that Guild Wars 2 gets on these forums to the amount of hate that Mortal Online gets...then ask yourself which one is the better game lol :).

And most of the folks that post negative things about popular games are fans of obscure or dead games that most people don't know about.  Many of them even go so far as to argue that said popular games don't even qualify as MMORPGs.

The craziest thing is that I even like the older games like UO...heck I even enjoyed Darkfall.  The difference is that I don't let that stop me from liking the more popular games like GW2.

Have you visited Mortal Online forum section?  It get alot of hate for years. I mean alot - buckets load of steaming poo.  It is just less noticeable because it is like 1000x less popular.

Hehe that's a good point.  I probably just never see it because the 3 people that play and care about MO keep to themselves ;).

Still though, I feel like popular games get a lot of hate from people that don't play, and never plan to play them.  While a more obscure, yet bad, game will only get hate (often legitimate) from its actual player base.

I am not sure that generlization is correct.  Those few niche games that are recognized by wider audience on forums like EVE, DFO or SWG also get alot of hate also by people that have not played them and sometimes even admit it.   They are preety commonly used in arguments about shitty mmos that noone plays or played in the past  :)

What you said might be true for those really niche or niche games that almost noone knew about like Mortal Online or Tale in the Desert or Wurm, etc

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    nvm

You know, I read this before you deleted it.

Not really fair, I finally got you to admit you don't care for any MMORPG, and the question stills stands.  Do you now (or did you ever) consider any MMORPG a good "game" or are you so hip you don't enjoy any of them?

What exactly are you looking for?

While most hipsters are pretty clear what they dislike, trying to figure out what they are looking for is the real challenge.

I don't remember what I wrote exactly, but I deleted it because I saw you delete yours. I love good games from any genre. I never admitted I didn't care for any MMORPGs, unless you are saying no MMO is a good game. But not all MMOs even try to be games. Naturally I don't care for those titles. They are more like, make-believe or how children sometimes play doctors, cowboys and indians or whatever. There's no game involved there.

And when they go for this route, "the game-part" usually ends up being quite bad. I mean they're practically just chatrooms with 3d graphics.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I don't like hipsters...too mainstream ;).

Well actually hipsters are preety mainstream thing for years now.  Big clothing corporations are making hipstery-homeless style clothes,  for years every self-respecitng hipster would have iPhone or MacBook, companies producing glasses went with increased amount of retro style glasses for hipsters,  etc 

So by complaining about hipsters you're countering mainstream so you're well...hipster :p

This post is too mainstream.

Yeah it is !    

Remember never admit you're a hipster. Never ever ;p

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Intelligent games never go mainstream, because developing games for "smart" gamers automatically creates a niche, and niche is not where the money is.

Look at EvE and TSW - mainstream success? Hardly.

Well I enjoy niche games, I don't like to play games everyone and his uncle plays.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Ironicly, I doubt the hipsters could agree on what a fine dining MMO is...

They have, you just probably haven't heard of it...

True, but I like to think of myself as Tragically Hip.  (actual in game name for some of my avatars)

It's like the iconic hipster joke -

What's a hipster's favorite band?

I don't know, you've probably never heard of them...

It is ironic when people complain about hipsters. As hipsters in general are ironic because by being hipsters they are popular and trendy. It's like Goth kids rejecting social norms - to adapt a different set of social norms.

The real joke is humanity - one big punch line.

LOL, while I borrowed their name, don't ask me to name a song, can't say I could. image

But I had heard of them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Ever since Urban Outfitters came to be, hipsters = mainstream.
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by evolver1972
    Just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good. Hitler was popular.The masses don't always know what they're talking about.  Which is why true democracy sucks.

The most important characteristic of populists like Hitler is that they protest against the establishment and claim that they represent the (silent) majority. Reminds me of some people on these forums.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Intelligent games never go mainstream, because developing games for "smart" gamers automatically creates a niche, and niche is not where the money is.

Well I enjoy niche games, I don't like to play games everyone and his uncle plays.

I don't exclude myself just because it's popular. I play popular games or nitch. I'll play because I like it, not because some hipster says it's cool to or because some hype campaign tells me it's popular and a "must buy!!".

Originally posted by Foomerang

Have you noticed how everything popular seems to be bad and everything unpopular seems to be the greatest thing on earth? We are surrounded by hipsters, I tell you. And I hate hipsters...

Its not like the games they like require a refined taste or anything. They're unpopular for a reason: they are crap. They love to make the McDonalds argument whenever it suits them, but when they encounter a game they like its like dining in a 3-Michelin-star restaurant. I've played enough games to know there's no such thing as refined taste. So take that fastfood metaphor and shove it.

I know when I'm playing a mediocre game, and I'm not afraid to say so. Pirates of the Burning Sea was one of them. But only because I'm a sucker for Age of Sail-games. I'd only give it 6/10 but I still found it entertaining for good 3 weeks. Not everything I play is a masterpiece.

So if something is popular, it must be good at something. Anyone who says "its full of shit" is talking out of their arse.

There. I said it. I feel better for it.

Everywhere? Name 1 member that fits your description and the quotes to back it up. I haven't seen a single member here who hates only mainstream big budget mmos and loves only small obscure mmos. I'm waiting patiently :)

It is supposed to be a reference, but off the top of my head I don't remember from where. Who fits the bill? -Basically your average forum dweller who bashes every modern MMO out there with every chance they get, talks about the good ol' days, hypes up indie MMOs and gets excited whenever the word sandbox gets thrown around.

I know many MMO purists too which fit the description, but I don't keep a list, sorry.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Foomerang

It is supposed to be a reference, but off the top of my head I don't remember from where. Who fits the bill? -Basically your average forum dweller who bashes every modern MMO out there with every chance they get, talks about the good ol' days, hypes up indie MMOs and gets excited whenever the word sandbox gets thrown around.

I know many MMO purists too which fit the description, but I don't keep a list, sorry.

Most don't bash games because they are hipsters. If people are harking back to the old days and saying new games are shit, it's because they think new games are, well, shit.

It seems pretty reasonable to be annoyed that all the stuff that made mmos unique, it being replaced by mechanisms you find in every other gaming genre. Ooh but it's more popular!

Besides I can think of a fair few people who bash on "older" games and mechanisms using pretty poor arguments and using "but new games are more popular so they must be better" as a back up.

You also need to realise that 90% of the time on here, people are trolling (well I hope they are as the alternative is just...).

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Well OP if you don't think some people have a reason to complain about recent (two month max playtime) Themepark MMO's that's a you problem.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Ah yes, the old conversation about conformists and rebels.  It's been had a million times.  Both reach opposite conclusions but, interestingly, by using the exact same (what I would call) flawed reasoning.  To like something just because others like it is just as bad as disliking something just because others like it.  In fact, if you just rebel against all things popular, you are essentially conforming to what has become a standardized nonconformist image.  

The only honest way to approach anything, as I see it, is to critically evaluate it for yourself.  This doesn't mean ignoring the opinions of others, of course.  That's just as ignorant as blindly following the opinions of others.  Take them into account, but strive to evaluate something on the basis of its own merits and your own likes and dislikes.

If you are to be completely honest with yourself, you'll undoubtedly find you sometimes participate in popular culture, sometimes participate in rebel culture, and sometimes participate in culture that resides outside the boundaries of that false diachotomy.     

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Most don't bash games because they are hipsters. If people are harking back to the old days and saying new games are shit, it's because they think new games are, well, shit.

It seems pretty reasonable to be annoyed that all the stuff that made mmos unique, it being replaced by mechanisms you find in every other gaming genre. Ooh but it's more popular!

Besides I can think of a fair few people who bash on "older" games and mechanisms using pretty poor arguments and using "but new games are more popular so they must be better" as a back up.

I've probably said this a dozen times before: No one plays shitty games. If people are flocking toward a game, there's something good in it. Even if you don't get it, even if I don't get it, clearly those people are getting something out of it.

Also, no matter how badly it fits your own preferences, popularity still remains the only objective measure of quality. It is evidence of some quality. You can't dismiss evidence just because you don't agree with it.

Don't be the Flat Earth Society-guy.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

Hipsters have beome the "new" mainstream, so you can't really call them hipsters (by definition) any longer.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I've probably said this a dozen times before: No one plays shitty games. If people are flocking toward a game, there's something good in it. Even if you don't get it, even if I don't get it, clearly those people are getting something out of it.

Also, no matter how badly it fits your own preferences, popularity still remains the only objective measure of quality. It is evidence of some quality. You can't dismiss evidence just because you don't agree with it.

I have been in Advertising for about 20 years now and I can tell you that if your company does a great job advertising your product or service it can turn lemons into lemonade. That being said if your company is to stay afloat you still have to have a core and continue to build a game that the masses want. Blizzard did this perfectly, they took a look at Everquest, looked at what made it popular and what the masses said they wanted different and pulled out what may be described as a miricle.

They placed their game heading directly at the mainstream population, they decided plenty of quests ala Everquest , some exploration and somewhat challenging combat-these made the adults happy. Then they gave their game a cartoonish look to attract the kids. Now why did this not turn off the adults-because the adults had enough to keep them happy and just accepted the cartoonish graphics. What has happened over the last few years is this, WOW has the adults hooked even convincing them the game is not for kids, in the meantime they have done as much as possible to attract kids and teens while knowing they have the adults and their 9 alts maxed to the guilds hooked. Brilliant, Brilliant strategy, I bow down to the Advertisers and marketers of Blizzard

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I wish to note that on this forum I have seen several people reminisce about the MMO Auto Assault.

I want to say that as objective as I can possibly try to be, I still saw that game as mechanically flawed and it's gameplay to be way too finite and sparse to every ge a 'good' game.

You can hop on the remark that 'something must have been good about it then', but I have to assume it was more so the notion of the game rather than the game itself that the people loving on it were so fond of.

Not a bad thing, AA had a novel concept, but as they designed the game it simply didn't work.

Or another example, APB (now Reloaded).

You might call the character customization the only redeeming value of the game. That is far from enough to keep people playing. Yet I know there is still a small community playing the title, myself included occasionally. I play that game even though I perceive it to be broken in most every aspect. Why? Because I enjoy playing games not always for their quality, but because of particular technical aspects and details that interest me.

I do this quite often really. Play titles that for the most part just aren't good because I want to pick apart particular mechanics that I think were good ideas, just not well done. This is exactly the case I have with APB. It was a game great in concept and the devs actually had some pretty good ideas, but they couldn't commit them to the game itself. Their implementation failed hard.

So you can nitpick and say 'there's still something good about the game', and that's true, but it's not accurate. Namely because at this point you are standing only on preference. There is no objective standard for what someone finds good about the title and if you start pointing out systems, you are going to rapidly find that there's people vehemently against them or otherwise the system itself isn't actually good, but you like the idea of it.

And that is perhaps an important piece of note. It's not so much an argument of the quality of the game, but from my experience people are way too fond of arguing about personal ideals. What they think is the right game, the right implementation, and the right conduct instead of taking an objective stance on what actually is being done with a game, what the design principles driving the title itself is, or the manner in which it has been implemented.

And that's where the hipster comment seems to come in. The word 'WoW clone' comes to mind. I don't personally use the phrase, but considering it's part of the standard syntax on this forum, I figure it's a known enough thing. How often have we had people who railed on games using that phrase, to the point that we've had threads just talking about the phrase itself?

And why? Is it fair to assume that, ignoring the crowd that simply parrots it at anything they don't like, there is perhaps a perception of an idelogy behind these titles being labeled WoW clones that these people draw similarity to if not in the function of the game then perhaps still in the reason for it's existence?

I would very much say there are many games, mmos included, that are an acquired taste. Entire genres themselves may be something a person would have to get used to playing before they can even tolerate them. When a game elects to do something notably different from the other titles within the genre it exists, it inevitably has the same result. Assuming one is making an informed response, they have to try and know the system before passing a judgement on if they like it or not, and much of their comfort with a new mechanic can tie directly into how handily they can grasp the system and how well it plays to their personal interests.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Yeah!  Farmville is what your new MMOs should strive to be.  110,000,000 people cannot be wrong, and it has the staying power to keep over 63 million of those people!

The state of online gaming and quality is going nothing but up!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Hipsters have beome the "new" mainstream, so you can't really call them hipsters (by definition) any longer.

YES!!!! It's about time somebody spoke the truth.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by grimgryphon

YES!!!! It's about time somebody spoke the truth.

Does this mean that the average shallow MMO player is a hipster, and the OP has everything backwards?  Making him a self-hating hipster?  The world is spinning.....NOOOOOOO!

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

1. "Shitty" is a subjective term. So yes, people play "shitty games" in the opinions of others. Now some actually come out and try and point out why they feel said games are "shitty". Amazingly enough it has fk all to do with being a hipster. At no point do people say others are not getting something out of said games btw, so not sure what the point of that bit was.

2. If you use popularity as an argument for the quality of a product, then you have lost said argument. If you turn around and try to explain why the mechanics are popular, then well done, you have a good case. If you just say "well it's popular so ergo it's quality", then the /facepalm reply is never going to be far away. And with good reason.

I'll ignore the flat earth comment as it was utterly pointless.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Psychow

I don't exclude myself just because it's popular. I play popular games or nitch. I'll play because I like it, not because some hipster says it's cool to or because some hype campaign tells me it's popular and a "must buy!!".

well there is this game which was and still is nothing but hype campaign with no substance, therefore my theory turned out to be correct , stay away from mainstream success and play the true gems

Originally posted by Xthos

Yeah!  Farmville is what your new MMOs should strive to be.  110,000,000 people cannot be wrong, and it has the staying power to keep over 63 million of those people!

The state of online gaming and quality is going nothing but up!

haha yeah, that is sad but true.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

well there is this game which was and still is nothing but hype campaign with no substance, therefore my theory turned out to be correct , stay away from mainstream success and play the true gems

What happens when a true gem also happens to be mainstream?