Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

And so it begins, go with it or move on...

SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon

Being a Darkfall veteran and being one of those people that would laugh at people that played wow and Rift and GW, etc, explaining to them that they don't really understand what hardcore is, some of the new bullet points of the new Darkfall totally saddened me.  Many vets reading this know what i'm talking about, going to other games and listening to people pvping and thinking, "wow...these people really think they're good."  Or, "wow, did that guy really just qq about getting killed in the open world in a game where nothing happens when you die."  Or, "omg, they call that a siege system."  So yea...all of us veterans have been through this.

 

That said, everything has a beginning and an end.  Darkfall 1.0 while having its downfalls, was the greatest sandbox owpvp game ever made for the niche gamers/vets that have been playing for years, but its over.  Our game was great and we had great moments that we'll never forget. 

 

Some of us since the announcement of 2.0 have resisted some of the things that cator to the masses.  We know Darkfall as the hardcore game that has the niche community following it because of things like:

1.  Total FFA PVP with absolutely no safezones

2.  Total freedom to build your character however you want

3.  100% skill based with practically no crowd control skills

4.  Basic animations as opposed to glowing skills flashing all over

5.  A close knit community that loves each other but hates each other all at the same time

 

Truth said, these things are gone....with it some of our niche players will go away as well.  All of this said, the bottom line is that you can't expect a company to launch an entirely knew game for a niche community, it just doesn't make business sense.  Aventurine made a decision and they want a larger community and they want to make more money, obviously...it is a busniess.  So when us vets get upset and say, "wow, really...your existing community is going to hate this"  your saying the 1000 or so left (if that) won't like this...you idiots are catoring to hte 10,000...whats wrong with you!?

Its time to let go of our old Darkfall...if you can't, well...you can't, but theres no sense in comparing the two and constantly saying its stupid, what aventurine is doing that is.  The company ended the old game and now they are moving forward, and with this dicision, the game will have a much healthier population. 

Just speaking outloud as I started to qq when I saw safezones, and it prompted me to say to myself, "its a new game....accept it or move on."

 

Just my random thought of the morning...

 

Sir Balin

www.incognito-gaming.com

Incognito
www.incognito-gaming.us
"You're either with us or against us"

«1

Comments

  • GaladournGaladourn AthensPosts: 1,052Member
    what you seem to describe as 'core' DF1 characteristics could be summarized in one word: lack of polish. I'm glad AV is moving forward because, quite frankly, there is no way Df1 could be re-worked to funcion properly.
  • apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by afhn2110

    Being a Darkfall veteran and being one of those people that would laugh at people that played wow and Rift and GW, etc, explaining to them that they don't really understand what hardcore is, some of the new bullet points of the new Darkfall totally saddened me.  Many vets reading this know what i'm talking about, going to other games and listening to people pvping and thinking, "wow...these people really think they're good."  Or, "wow, did that guy really just qq about getting killed in the open world in a game where nothing happens when you die."  Or, "omg, they call that a siege system."  So yea...all of us veterans have been through this.

     

    That said, everything has a beginning and an end.  Darkfall 1.0 while having its downfalls, was the greatest sandbox owpvp game ever made for the niche gamers/vets that have been playing for years, but its over.  Our game was great and we had great moments that we'll never forget. 

     

    Some of us since the announcement of 2.0 have resisted some of the things that cator to the masses.  We know Darkfall as the hardcore game that has the niche community following it because of things like:

    1.  Total FFA PVP with absolutely no safezones

    2.  Total freedom to build your character however you want

    3.  100% skill based with practically no crowd control skills

    4.  Basic animations as opposed to glowing skills flashing all over

    5.  A close knit community that loves each other but hates each other all at the same time

     

    Truth said, these things are gone....with it some of our niche players will go away as well.  All of this said, the bottom line is that you can't expect a company to launch an entirely knew game for a niche community, it just doesn't make business sense.  Aventurine made a decision and they want a larger community and they want to make more money, obviously...it is a busniess.  So when us vets get upset and say, "wow, really...your existing community is going to hate this"  your saying the 1000 or so left (if that) won't like this...you idiots are catoring to hte 10,000...whats wrong with you!?

    Its time to let go of our old Darkfall...if you can't, well...you can't, but theres no sense in comparing the two and constantly saying its stupid, what aventurine is doing that is.  The company ended the old game and now they are moving forward, and with this dicision, the game will have a much healthier population. 

    Just speaking outloud as I started to qq when I saw safezones, and it prompted me to say to myself, "its a new game....accept it or move on."

     

    Just my random thought of the morning...

     

    Sir Balin

    www.incognito-gaming.com

    I hope the game turns out well for you.  If you so choose to play it. 

    No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

  • SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    I'm 100% playing it, and i'll like it as its an aim to shoot and good siege system.  Was more just my comments to the other vets in our beloved game...if some don't let go of what the game was, they won't even have a chance at enjoying the new game.  I've officially let go and i'm looking at it as a new game altogether.

    Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,871Member Uncommon


    Wish DF 2.0 was a move forward but it is not...it is just a patch(or expansion if you wish) to horribly designed game and it remains horribly designed game.

  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member

    I'll still try it ofc and who knows it could be an amazing game, but if I'm being honest it is a bit of a "meh" for me now and most of my interest is gone.

     

    I see someone going on about how a rework of the old model couldn't work. Well actually for some of us, the core model of the old model was fun and did work. With a reduced grind and with a clean UI that game would have been amazing (in some of our opinions).

     

    As I say though, i'll reserve judgement until I've actually got my hands on the product, but I have lingering doubts.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon

     

    I'll admit, many of the changes I saw worried me, but the more I thought about them, the more I saw the bigger picture. So much about this game has not even been released yet, so I have a large number of questions. 

    For example, Safe Zones can be a good idea, but I'll be upset if any high-end crafting can be done within these safe zones or the processing/gathering of rare resources.  How will this be handled ? 

    Sure its nice to have a protective area to keep more people in the game long enough to see its value, but the Safe Zones need to be more like a crutch to your character. The lure to venture out into dangerous territory needs to be great! 

    Race factions are no longer at war with each other, why? I loved being an Alfar and an enemy of all. Now all factions are friendly with each other... .piff

    Overall, I think I will love the hell out of this game. There are certainly some stuff that ruffles my feathers, but I'm not going to punish myself!

  • SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami


    Wish DF 2.0 was a move forward but it is not...it is just a patch(or expansion if you wish) to horribly designed game and it remains horribly designed game.

    I didn't mean its a step forward as in better, I think thats in the eye of the beholder.  I mean they are moving on to what they want to move on with.

    Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami


    Wish DF 2.0 was a move forward but it is not...it is just a patch(or expansion if you wish) to horribly designed game and it remains horribly designed game.

    Darkfall is probally the best MMORPG that has been released in a long time.. sure it had bugs and hacking/exploits to start with but put that aside and its a great game..

     

    But its the kind of game i enjoy, i guess if people enjoy themepark PVE type games then no matter what AV do to darkfall those type of people wont like the game.

     

    At the end of the day we all like different things...

  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Originally posted by Gdemami


    Wish DF 2.0 was a move forward but it is not...it is just a patch(or expansion if you wish) to horribly designed game and it remains horribly designed game.

    I didn't mean its a step forward as in better, I think thats in the eye of the beholder.  I mean they are moving on to what they want to move on with.

    He spends his entire time trolling Darkfall threads, so you are wasting your time.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • SirBalinSirBalin Joppa, MDPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by zimike

     

    I'll admit, many of the changes I saw worried me, but the more I thought about them, the more I saw the bigger picture. So much about this game has not even been released yet, so I have a large number of questions. 

    For example, Safe Zones can be a good idea, but I'll be upset if any high-end crafting can be done within these safe zones or the processing/gathering of rare resources.  How will this be handled ? 

    Sure its nice to have a protective area to keep more people in the game long enough to see its value, but the Safe Zones need to be more like a crutch to your character. The lure to venture out into dangerous territory needs to be great! 

    Race factions are no longer at war with each other, why? I loved being an Alfar and an enemy of all. Now all factions are friendly with each other... .piff

    Overall, I think I will love the hell out of this game. There are certainly some stuff that ruffles my feathers, but I'm not going to punish myself!

    They did say that the closer you are to the NPC safezone cities the lower the drops and quality of drops from processing.  As far as the race stuff, well...I agree with you, but thats something that our own vet community has asked for, for quite sometime...for whatever reason a lot of current players don't like an allignment system.

    Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

  • zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by afhn2110
    Originally posted by zimike

     

    I'll admit, many of the changes I saw worried me, but the more I thought about them, the more I saw the bigger picture. So much about this game has not even been released yet, so I have a large number of questions. 

    For example, Safe Zones can be a good idea, but I'll be upset if any high-end crafting can be done within these safe zones or the processing/gathering of rare resources.  How will this be handled ? 

    Sure its nice to have a protective area to keep more people in the game long enough to see its value, but the Safe Zones need to be more like a crutch to your character. The lure to venture out into dangerous territory needs to be great! 

    Race factions are no longer at war with each other, why? I loved being an Alfar and an enemy of all. Now all factions are friendly with each other... .piff

    Overall, I think I will love the hell out of this game. There are certainly some stuff that ruffles my feathers, but I'm not going to punish myself!

    They did say that the closer you are to the NPC safezone cities the lower the drops and quality of drops from processing.  As far as the race stuff, well...I agree with you, but thats something that our own vet community has asked for, for quite sometime...for whatever reason a lot of current players don't like an allignment system.

    Thanks for the heads up :) .. .well they should at least remove the alignment system completely, not even have red status. Reputation alone should be enough to warn players. Let the community judge people and not any type of alignment system. 

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,871Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by Caldrin

    Darkfall is probally the best MMORPG that has been released in a long time.

    Lulz.

    Just because you like the game does not make it best game ever made..it just make it a game you like the most.


    This isn't about liking. DF is a lackluster of features without any essence holding them together. So many failed design choices...

  • keitholikeitholi biddeford, MEPosts: 138Member
    Originally posted by afhn2110

    "Darkfall 1.0 while having its downfalls, was the greatest sandbox owpvp game ever made for the niche gamers/vets that have been playing for years"

    I couldnt disagree with you more. Ultima Online holds that title and seeing as a LOT of the loot rules and hell, even the non item-slot containers and some UI elements come straight out of UO, it is still the King.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,871Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by afhn2110Darkfall 1.0 while having its downfalls, was the greatest sandbox owpvp game ever made

    Oh god...people really need to play EVE to understand what sandbox is.

    DF is not a sandbox.

  • zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by Caldrin

    Darkfall is probally the best MMORPG that has been released in a long time.


     

    Lulz.

    Just because you like the game does not make it best game ever made..it just make it a game you like the most.


    This isn't about liking. DF is a lackluster of features without any essence holding them together. So many failed design choices...

     

    To him it is the bet MMO ever released and for you maybe the worse. I've seen too many polished MMO's that offer nothing but a short term thrill. 

    To me  DF is the best MMO ever, but that is my opinion as well.  Games that invoke a strong emotional response(good or bad) are one factor I use to judge a great game. Another is a strong since of community and one where reputation means everything. Strong in-game politics are a must. 

    I really do not want to go through all the elements of what I feel is the best MMO to me, but DF has 9 out of 10 of them for sure. 

    Even with all the faults in DF1.0, the game still comes out on top.  I respect your opinion as much as I respect my own, but when you give the bad, maybe give some good as well. :) 

  • zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by keitholi
    Originally posted by afhn2110

    "Darkfall 1.0 while having its downfalls, was the greatest sandbox owpvp game ever made for the niche gamers/vets that have been playing for years"

    I couldnt disagree with you more. Ultima Online holds that title and seeing as a LOT of the loot rules and hell, even the non item-slot containers and some UI elements come straight out of UO, it is still the King.

     

    UO certainly was a great game for its time. I thought they might be attempting to do a new one, but not sure if that is confirmed yet.

  • keitholikeitholi biddeford, MEPosts: 138Member
    Originally posted by zimike

     

    I'll admit, many of the changes I saw worried me, but the more I thought about them, the more I saw the bigger picture. So much about this game has not even been released yet, so I have a large number of questions. 

    For example, Safe Zones can be a good idea, but I'll be upset if any high-end crafting can be done within these safe zones or the processing/gathering of rare resources.  How will this be handled ? 

    Sure its nice to have a protective area to keep more people in the game long enough to see its value, but the Safe Zones need to be more like a crutch to your character. The lure to venture out into dangerous territory needs to be great! 

    Race factions are no longer at war with each other, why? I loved being an Alfar and an enemy of all. Now all factions are friendly with each other... .piff

    Overall, I think I will love the hell out of this game. There are certainly some stuff that ruffles my feathers, but I'm not going to punish myself!

    You are in a very, very small percentage of players with this thought process, as much as you probably believe that you arent. While I agree that high end harvesting should not be available in these safe zones, by no means should production be capped to only low level mats.

    What I can never fathom is all you Rtards who think your "hardcore" cuz you have played for months and months and get fully geared and skilled, and then run off to the newbie zones to crush new players over and over and drive them straight out of the game. You do nothing but harm the game when you try to force your idiotic idea of "no safe zones anywhere evar!" idea.

    People need a "safe" area where they can learn how to control their character and perform basic game functions, before they are thrown to the wolves. Even EVE online, one of the most hardcore games available, there are mildly "safe" areas where new players can go through the tutorials and learn the absurd amount of game content, without being podded immediately upon logging in for the first time. I say mildly safe, because even though they are supposed to be high security policed areas, you can still suicide gank anyone anywhere.

  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member
    Originally posted by keitholi
    Originally posted by zimike

     

    You are in a very, very small percentage of players with this thought process, as much as you probably believe that you arent. While I agree that high end harvesting should not be available in these safe zones, by no means should production be capped to only low level mats.

    What I can never fathom is all you Rtards who think your "hardcore" cuz you have played for months and months and get fully geared and skilled, and then run off to the newbie zones to crush new players over and over and drive them straight out of the game. You do nothing but harm the game when you try to force your idiotic idea of "no safe zones anywhere evar!" idea.

    People need a "safe" area where they can learn how to control their character and perform basic game functions, before they are thrown to the wolves. Even EVE online, one of the most hardcore games available, there are mildly "safe" areas where new players can go through the tutorials and learn the absurd amount of game content, without being podded immediately upon logging in for the first time. I say mildly safe, because even though they are supposed to be high security policed areas, you can still suicide gank anyone anywhere.

    Yeah you lost any chance of credibility right there.

     

    EVE doesn't have "pvp off" zones, it has strong NPC protection and a working alignment/flagging system. What some of us "Rtards" would rather have, instead of an arbitrary "off switch" coupled with zero real alignment system meaning outside of the "pvp off" zones it will be total and utter anarchy.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • keitholikeitholi biddeford, MEPosts: 138Member

     

    EVE doesn't have "pvp off" zones, it has strong NPC protection and a working alignment/flagging system. What some of us "Rtards" would rather have, instead of an arbitrary "off switch" coupled with zero real alignment system meaning outside of the "pvp off" zones it will be total and utter anarchy.

    You obviously stopped reading in the middle section, because I ended my post SPECIFICALLY mentioning EVE. I see nothing wrong with EVE's system at all, however Aventurine did not choose to implement a similar system, so you are stuck with what they gave you. This does not alleviate the need for a "safe" zone for new players.

  • zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by keitholi
    Originally posted by zimike

     

    I'll admit, many of the changes I saw worried me, but the more I thought about them, the more I saw the bigger picture. So much about this game has not even been released yet, so I have a large number of questions. 

    For example, Safe Zones can be a good idea, but I'll be upset if any high-end crafting can be done within these safe zones or the processing/gathering of rare resources.  How will this be handled ? 

    Sure its nice to have a protective area to keep more people in the game long enough to see its value, but the Safe Zones need to be more like a crutch to your character. The lure to venture out into dangerous territory needs to be great! 

    Race factions are no longer at war with each other, why? I loved being an Alfar and an enemy of all. Now all factions are friendly with each other... .piff

    Overall, I think I will love the hell out of this game. There are certainly some stuff that ruffles my feathers, but I'm not going to punish myself!

    You are in a very, very small percentage of players with this thought process, as much as you probably believe that you arent. While I agree that high end harvesting should not be available in these safe zones, by no means should production be capped to only low level mats.

    What I can never fathom is all you Rtards who think your "hardcore" cuz you have played for months and months and get fully geared and skilled, and then run off to the newbie zones to crush new players over and over and drive them straight out of the game. You do nothing but harm the game when you try to force your idiotic idea of "no safe zones anywhere evar!" idea.

    People need a "safe" area where they can learn how to control their character and perform basic game functions, before they are thrown to the wolves. Even EVE online, one of the most hardcore games available, there are mildly "safe" areas where new players can go through the tutorials and learn the absurd amount of game content, without being podded immediately upon logging in for the first time. I say mildly safe, because even though they are supposed to be high security policed areas, you can still suicide gank anyone anywhere.

     

    hmmm I think you got me all wrong...  I'm not the type that goes around trying to kill off new players, I love the fear and the rush I get when I'm out gather resources...  I love having to look over my shoulders.  There should always be risk to reward, otherwise the reward becomes meaningless. 

    I suck as PvP, but that does not stop me, perhaps I love having my face smashed in every now and then to get my blood flowing... I donno..  emotions in a game are very important to me and to many others. Look at all the safe zone mmos out there.... notice are bored players get..  the game becomes a mindless boring grind with no risk..

    These people you call rtards are the same people I love to toy with... Having people chase you can be just as fun as being the one chasing someone. 

    Safe Zones a good idea? I'm starting to think so. The more I think about it the more I begin to favor this option, but new players should feel a burning need to take the risk.. to venture out into the world.

  • GdemamiGdemami Beau VallonPosts: 7,871Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by keitholi

    however Aventurine did not choose to implement a similar system, so you are stuck with what they gave you. This does not alleviate the need for a "safe" zone for new players.

    To AV defense and as already discussed, similar system EVE is using cannot really work for DF due HP/DMG mechanics.

  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper LondonPosts: 2,751Member
    Originally posted by keitholi

     

    EVE doesn't have "pvp off" zones, it has strong NPC protection and a working alignment/flagging system. What some of us "Rtards" would rather have, instead of an arbitrary "off switch" coupled with zero real alignment system meaning outside of the "pvp off" zones it will be total and utter anarchy.

    You obviously stopped reading in the middle section, because I ended my post SPECIFICALLY mentioning EVE. I see nothing wrong with EVE's system at all, however Aventurine did not choose to implement a similar system, so you are stuck with what they gave you. This does not alleviate the need for a "safe" zone for new players.

    If I had stopped reading after the middle it would have been no great surprise quite frankly given the nature of your post.

     

    But no, I read the rest. You mentioned EVE when it is a completely different system, a system that some of the people you seem to be trying to lambast, would have prefered. EVE has safer zones so we should be happy with "off switch" safe zones which are nothing at all like the EVE system? Yeah that makes zero sense.

     

    We are stuck with it? No shit. So that means we can't point out that A) we think  it was the wrong choice and B) that there are far better alternatives?

     

    But ofc, anyone with issues with the system is an "rtard" who wants to gank teh noobs because we suckzorz.

    "Come and have a look at what you could have won."

  • khameleonkhameleon Miami, FLPosts: 372Member Uncommon

    I'll be skipping this game. They don't let us try before buying it like a weekend open beta, so they are hiding that it still sucks.

     

    I will be trying instead:

     

    - NeverWinter (build your own quests and maps)

    - Wizardry Online (permadeath & hardcore MMO)

    - Elderscrolls (will have better 1st person type combat and probably much better game that is well made)

    - War Z - (open PVP FPSmmo game)

     

    And all the other games instead.

     

    Aventurine has horrible customer skills and they will die with this game. Company will shutdown within 1 year of unholy war release.

    GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

  • HancakesHancakes flint, MIPosts: 1,045Member
    Originally posted by khameleon

    Aventurine has horrible customer skills and they will die with this game. Company will shutdown within 1 year of unholy war release.

    Umm...They have a 3 year multi-million dollar deal with Mgame.image

     

     


     

  • HotjazzHotjazz BalsfjordPosts: 742Member
    Originally posted by Gdemami

     


    Originally posted by keitholi

    however Aventurine did not choose to implement a similar system, so you are stuck with what they gave you. This does not alleviate the need for a "safe" zone for new players.

     

    To AV defense and as already discussed, similar system EVE is using cannot really work for DF due HP/DMG mechanics.

    Haha, are you sure those hardcore players don`t want tab target or speadsheet combat?

     

    EVE alignment couldn`t work otherwise.

     

    I tried EVE for 6 months several years ago, and all I did was training learning skills, mined or killed rats. I found  the game boring, so  I gave my account away.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.