Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] World of WarPlanes: Building a Bigger, Better World

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Wargaming.net has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers an exclusive series of developer blogs from the team behind the highly anticipated World of WarPlanes. In the inaugural post, we are given a behind the scenes look at the game engine and how it's used to make a stunningly beautiful world. Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Here we’ll be summing up the state of the game, things we’re working on, our thoughts on current issues, and a lot more about what goes on behind the scenes. We’ll tell you about some fairly unusual ideas and solutions we came up with over the course of development on World of Warplanes, and I hope they'll be as interesting to you as they were for us to invent and implement. 

Read more of Executive Producer Alex Zezulin's World of WarPlanes: Building a Bigger, Better World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    i wish yall would do something like this for world of tanks.  i love tanks, i havent been that into world of warplanes yet, the controls are difficult for me but I would love yall to do a devblog on tanks that gives us this type of background info.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

I stopped listening "whats coming" since Funcom trademarked soon™ on the engine overhaul.

Better we look what we have NOW.

To compare WoWP with WarThunder we can take Battlefield Heros and Battlefield Play4Free grafix as examples.

The one is comic, the other is somewhat more real ..

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Ah i use world machnie myself and its awesome for creating maps :)

I do wish he would not go on about this being an MMO just like WOT its not an MMO but a lobby based multiplayer game.. Saying that the bigworld engine is more than capable of doing a proper MMO..

I think War Thunder looks a lot better at the moment tho WOWP has qutie a bit to catch up on that front. plus War Thunder feels like a better flight model..

• urugurug Member Posts: 6
    2caldrin : Warthunder mainly plays better
  • SizzzSizzz Member Posts: 61

World of Tanks has incredible level design, its so good no one even thinks to complain :D

I would like to see an article on the design process of producing the levels in WoT, as although WoWP im sure will have the same excellent enviroment work done, without players needing to be aligned with the height map, the terrains subtle undulations, distribution of hard / soft cover, terrain inclines and ridgeline exposures are of little revelence in comparison.

• gavvinggavving Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Sizzz

World of Tanks has incredible level design, its so good no one even thinks to complain :D

This.  The style of the game means that no one really pays attention to it, but if it was crappy or didnt have the functionality that it does via destructive components, it would basically break the game.  In most cases the layout of the maps means that there's very well thought out locations on the map that are advantagous to a range of tanks.  It gives you something to constantly work on when you play the same map a hundred times.

I wonder about WoP though.  In the air...  the whole aspect of cover seems to be lost.  

• TwitchnTwitchn Member Posts: 33
    I cant believe mmorpg has not put any new write ups on War Thunder as its one of the best games I have ever played period. You cant even compaire WoWp to War Thunder as its better in every way.
  • sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    more pr-bs from these pay-to-win makers, bored now.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I find that Big World is by far the best middle-ware engine to work with for an mmo. Its still a mystery to me on why developers favor something like Unreal or Crytek over BigWorld. I have worked with a variety of engines, and many of the decisions made by the BigWorld engine make sense.

First you have the netcoding there. You don't need to jerry-rig your own netcoding.
    Second is that the terrain is designed to be effecient for large terrains. It quickly cycles through MIP levels and allows you to get a wide degree of detail where it matters.
    Third is that they choose Python to be their scripting language. Using a common and powerful scripting language like Python allows for a quicker learning process and more powerful scripts.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Because Unreal and Cryengine are technically far superior to bigworld...

I do like the idea of bigworld tho everything in one place, same as The Hero Engine and if I was starting an indie company and going to make an MMO i would choose one of those engines over anything else out there. Having everything in place for an MMO is a massive massive help..

for FPS games i think i would stick with cryengine or unreal tho.. as they are better engines.

• urugurug Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Twitchn
    I cant believe mmorpg has not put any new write ups on War Thunder as its one of the best games I have ever played period. You cant even compaire WoWp to War Thunder as its better in every way.

I wondered the same question many times

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

This Dev studio doesnt even  derserve mention in the same website while WarThunder is around.  That game  absolutly  smashes this shit.  I mean its like comparing doom3d to Arma.  You can't even imagine how much  more Detailed Warthunder is, how much bigger,  ect friggin ect. 

Yet this  P2W is still getting  coverage?  

It..Burns..