Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A nice gain with this game

TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I posted about this on the PS2 forums but the post got pushed to page 3 in a hurry, no sense in just trying to bump it.

Anyways, I forgot about my solid state drive that was in my netbook so I pulled it out and put it into my PC and copied PS2 to it and loaded it up- what a massive difference.

From clicking "PLAY" to appearing in the spawn tube took about 60 seconds on a 7200rpm HDD, but takes 6 seconds on a SSD! PS2 by far has the largest gain on loading speed of all games I've tried on SSD, games like Guild Wars 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty games hardly gets any decrease in load times but some games do benefit- City of Heroes and SWG were other ones.

So if you don't have a SSD and hate tapping your finters waiting for the game to load, find a cheap 60GB one for $50-70, that's enough space for 2-3 most frequently played games.

Comments

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Your post has good timing.  I'm buying a Samsung 830 128gb Friday and I'm looking forward to the performance increase.  Knowing it works especially well with PS2 is good news indeed.
  • iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yes, I went from a 1tb 64mb Western digital to making it my secondary alongside a 160gb SSD. My load times in really power hogging games like King Arthur and PS2 decreased by AT LEAST 50%. Pretty amazing stats. I'm still just nervous about the reliability. But I'm doing frequent backups to my secondary drive. I bought my SSD when it was cheaper to buy SSD than a hard disk due to the tsunami a year back.

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185
    the samgsung 830 is pretty a reliable ssd drive. Theres lots of tips on google on how to prolong the life of a ssd by turning off stuff you don't need and setting up trim. but ya big difference playing ps2 on a xp32 bit system with a hard drive vs win7 64bit and a ssd drive.
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by rendus
    Your post has good timing.  I'm buying a Samsung 830 128gb Friday and I'm looking forward to the performance increase.  Knowing it works especially well with PS2 is good news indeed.

Very good SSD, I use it myelf. Samsung inhous built controller kicks butt at keeping those read/writes rock solid. One thing. make sure your motherboard bios is up to date, and if you can't see the SSD doesn't appear in your bios boot list to select, then shut down the computer & disconnect all other HDD's then boot and back into bios and it should be there. select it and save and exit the bios and shut the the Pc  and reconnect the HDD's.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

If you run a Windows OS off a SSD, be sure to turn off write-tos and place temp on a secondary HDD (as well as virtual memory), my old SSD died because Windows wrote to it every second of its living life 365/24/7. At least I can still read from it but can't write to it anymore.

Like I said, not ALL games get a large gain but PS2 definitely does, it changes the way you play the game (spawn much faster to defend bases, etc).

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Yeah im loving my SSD bought it before GW2 came out and never going back to a hardrive atleast for the games ill be playing regulary.
  • Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84

I bought this one about 2 months ago when it was on sale for 84.99... Still at $99 it's a decent price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211602

Just an update.

I installed my SSD last night and it now takes 21 seconds to spawn into the game from double clicking the icon on the desktop.  

Speechless.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Just an update.

I installed my SSD last night and it now takes 21 seconds to spawn into the game from double clicking the icon on the desktop.  

Speechless.

I should try moving this to my SSD as well. Thanks!

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by MikeB

Just an update.

Speechless.

I'll have to try that as well, but whats weird is that on my mechanical hard drive when logging in it takes me 15 seconds at most, just find it odd that it takes Ren 21 seconds? You sure it's not faster then that Ren?

• wireded21wireded21 Member UncommonPosts: 131

I can't recommend SSD enough to any gamers out there.

I have only recently re-installed my gaming system with an SSD boot drive and secondary SSD that I use for my pagefile.

I keep a large Sata3 drive just for archiving/photos/other stuff but all my gaming is installed onto my SSD's.

Windows 7 booting in 12 seconds to a stable desktop. Games load easily 50% faster than before, smoother frame rates.

I've gone with the newesst Kingston HyperX not the best but way better than traditional drives.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by wireded21

I can't recommend SSD enough to any gamers out there.

I have only recently re-installed my gaming system with an SSD boot drive and secondary SSD that I use for my pagefile.

I keep a large Sata3 drive just for archiving/photos/other stuff but all my gaming is installed onto my SSD's.

Windows 7 booting in 12 seconds to a stable desktop. Games load easily 50% faster than before, smoother frame rates.

I've gone with the newesst Kingston HyperX not the best but way better than traditional drives.

Might have to pick up two SSD and put em on a raid 0, but I'm at a loss.

I am upgrading my Main board to a intel and converting to intel from AMD so yeah there goes my spending for awhile LOL.

Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by MikeB

Just an update.

Speechless.

I'll have to try that as well, but whats weird is that on my mechanical hard drive when logging in it takes me 15 seconds at most, just find it odd that it takes Ren 21 seconds? You sure it's not faster then that Ren?

I just upgraded to windows 8 last night and did a clean install of PS2.  I thought I'd get up today and time it and see how fast it runs now.  But now the Beta is over!  So I guess it'll have to wait a couple of days, lol.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    If you haven't installed your games on your SSD, you're doing it wrong :P.