Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"GW2 is in a tail spin" and "Huge success"

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I think that with out a doubt the game has lost a nice chunk of the original 2 mill, 40-50%, as shown by polls and other tracking sites, but 1 million people still is good for an mmo.  

GW2 will be around 6-800k by the end of the year which is far below expectations, but good compared to other post WoW mmos.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bcbully

I think that with out a doubt the game has lost a nice chunk of the original 2 mill, 40-50%, as shown by polls and other tracking sites, but 1 million people still is good for an mmo.  

GW2 will be around 6-800k by the end of the year which is far below expectations, but good compared to other post WoW mmos.

What sites? What tracking informaton? Please share. The only people that are leaving are the ones who thought GW 2 was a WoW  and/or Rift clone where you could be UBER by rushing to the end and getting 'Legendary armor and weapons' so they can pawn others. This was not the case and they are leaving.

The guild I belong to is gaining members daily, not from other guilds but new players.

I am not sure where the numbers lie, does it matter? The game is doing fine and a new content patch is coming out on Nov. 15th.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

People said that Guild Wars 2 will fail when it is released.

People said that Guild Wars 2 won´t give what Anet promised.

People said that Guild Wars 2 will die in the first two months.

People said that Guild Wars 2 was a WoW clone that will hardly sell 1 million copies and then be empty in1-3 months.

2 months have gone and Guild Wars 2 has most of it servers at full and high and 1 or 2 at mid.

2 months have gane and WvWvW still has load problems.

2 months have gone and Guild Wars 2 with Anet have given people enough content so they could have a blast.

2 months have gone, and Guild Wars 2 isn´t dead yet.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Thing is if you play Guild Wars 2 all you have to do is log in and see how many are playing to realise its a huge success . If your the kind of idiot that looks at Xfire and draws conclusions on that you proberbly think its in a tail spin and your going to look pretty stupid when the Q3 figures come out but even then it wont stop you trolling the game because thats what idiots do .  
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by bcbully

What sites? What tracking informaton? Please share. The only people that are leaving are the ones who thought GW 2 was a WoW  and/or Rift clone where you could be UBER by rushing to the end and getting 'Legendary armor and weapons' so they can pawn others. This was not the case and they are leaving.

The guild I belong to is gaining members daily, not from other guilds but new players.

I am not sure where the numbers lie, does it matter? The game is doing fine and a new content patch is coming out on Nov. 15th.

Well your very on poll on this site shows 42% quit, which mirrors GW2 xfire and raptors users drop of 45%. Everywhere you look that polls or tracks GW2 player activity shows the samething. 

If you don't trust your own poll idk man.

edit - it wasn't your poll. sorry about that.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/368412/Simple-poll-who-plays-and-who-do-not.html

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    It's a brand new game.  Every new game has a huge player base at release.  These forums are like Fox News these days...
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It doesn't reveal 42% quit.

It reveals 42% of the people who frequent sites like this quit.

Anecdotally the game is still busy, its not like swtor which was a ghost town 1 month in.

Another factor to take into account with gw2, its not a gear grinding game. You buy a nice new single player game like xcom, Torchlight 2 or dishonoured, you can go play it for weeks with no worries about being behind the gear curve when you return to gw2. Wow clone type games are different, for a working person with little spare time, they demand you play them exclusively lest you fall behind everyone else and have no one to play with.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh and that 42% is assuming the truth was told too. Im sure everyone on mmorpg is honest and there wasn't say any butthurt fans of other games who never played gw2 voting "quit" :D
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

Considering that players have posted irrefutable evidence to the contrary of the "tailspin" argument, I would say it's quite clear which statement has more credibility.

and where might I find that evidence?

Here's one place.

How many companies in a tail spin commence to hiring more people?

Here's more (quoted from the "Tail Spin" thread):

Anet - not currently attempting to downsize developers.
    Anet - No dead servers.
    Anet - New content coming out.

All these facts are indisputable based on the information available and are clear evidence the game is NOT in a tailspin.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

Considering that players have posted irrefutable evidence to the contrary of the "tailspin" argument, I would say it's quite clear which statement has more credibility.

Here's one place.

It also doesn't indicate an increase in numbers. They could be replacing personnel. They may also be hiring people to help fix all of the bugs that still exist in the game.

• Bizze66Bizze66 Member Posts: 22
    This whole thread sums up to an oxymoron topic when it doesn't have to be. All games we play have flaws. It's just that in the games we love we choose to ignore those flaws. Striking the perfect balance to where the consumer either doesn't recognize it or the positive things outweigh all the negative aspects is key to a game's success.  image
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

There is a huge positive vibe in the game still esp during halloween events. Servers are going strong, my guild is going strong and all this doomsday naysayers couldn't be further from the truth. The truth being that the game is going strong.

It will only get better with the huge november update and in the next coming weeks when Anet takes full throttle at bot destroying :).

GW2 is still THE best themepark MMO out there and if the halloween events are any indication to what sort of content updates we can expect in the future, then GW2 will simply get better.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Here's one place.

It also doesn't indicate an increase in numbers. They could be replacing personnel. They may also be hiring people to help fix all of the bugs that still exist in the game.

Who said anything about indicating an increase in numbers? 

The plain and simple fact is, they are hiring.  Whether or not they are just replacing people is irrelavent.  Games that are in a tailspin (which is the premise that is being argued) don't hire people, they generally lay them off.

Nice try though.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

It would be best for Anet if people bought the game, played it for a bit, enjoyed themselves and then left. Servers cost money, so fewer people = less cost.

I know for a lot of people on this site (based on all the troll posts) that is a hard a concept to understand.  For a long time its been all about sub numbers. Less people playing = tail spin.

However I do agree that Anet should take hackers, botters and cheaters seriously. And I believe they do, but GW2 is being assulted night and day.   Why? Because it is so popular.

Just to stress a point. Lets pretend everyone stopped playing today and only came back for events, but they buy the expansion when it comes out.  In a sub game, this would be bad as you would have months and months of zero income from subs. For GW2 this would work just great.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

It would be best for Anet if people bought the game, played it for a bit, enjoyed themselves and then left. Servers cost money, so fewer people = less cost.

I know for a lot of people on this site (based on all the troll posts) that is a hard a concept to understand.  For a long time its been all about sub numbers. Less people playing = tail spin.

However I do agree that Anet should take hackers, botters and cheaters seriously. And I believe they do, but GW2 is being assulted night and day.   Why? Because it is so popular.

Just to stress a point. Lets pretend everyone stopped playing today and only came back for events, but they buy the expansion when it comes out.  In a sub game, this would be bad as you would have months and months of zero income from subs. For GW2 this would work just great.

Yeah servers cost money, but it's not like Dell gives you your money back for the server if no one is using it ;).  Once you buy the server, it's yours...it's a sunk cost.

I guess you could argue that less players = less support personnel and bandwidth costs...but you can't really fire your support people just because you are in a slump.  If you do, then you won't have enough when you release an expansion or event and a bunch of players come back.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Creslin321 The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

If you get rid of information that isn't objective, you're not left with very much. In another thread that got locked (not because of my posts), we had this:
    * Dramatic drop in players or player hours on a site that won't be named.
    * Metacritic - overall positive reviews from 'professional' reviewers.
    * Metacritic - overall positive reviews from regular people (who are probably players, but we can't be sure).
    * Amazon - GW2 is still in the top 10 games.
    * Amazon - GW2's position in the top ten is lower than it previously was.
    * Anet - are hiring 12 developers.
    * Anet - creating new content for the game.
    * Anet - There are no dead servers in the server status page(s). Half the servers are 'full' and 30% are 'high'.
    * MMORPG.Com - forum poll shows 50% of respondents are no longer playing the game. 50% are still playing the game.
    * MMORPG.Com - review articles are overall positive.
    * MMORPG.Com - game rating is overall positive.

And...that's it. None of this stuff depends on people having an opinion, none of it depends on anecdotal evidence and while the interpretation of the information is up for grabs, the information itself is pretty cut and dry.

I'm leaning towards the game is a success from Anet's perspective. I'm betting they are very happy with the game's performance. They're going to continue to expand the game and continue to happily sell expansions.

** edit **
    In the poll, I voted that the argument was bad. It depends on a lot of hyperbole either way and hyperbole, while good for fiction, isn't so great for any sort of factual discussion. So...I don't think either thread is any sort of factual discussion on the relative success or failure of GW2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Yeah servers cost money, but it's not like Dell gives you your money back for the server if no one is using it ;).  Once you buy the server, it's yours...it's a sunk cost.

I guess you could argue that less players = less support personnel and bandwidth costs...but you can't really fire your support people just because you are in a slump.  If you do, then you won't have enough when you release an expansion or event and a bunch of players come back.

It's not the cost of the machines. In fact, I'd be surprised if they weren't all virtuallized. It all depends on infrastructure, but the money is made in maintenance fees from their support vendors. Of course as is the case with virtuallzation, it's probably based in usage. Assuming NCSOFT/ANET are using all the latest technologies, there is probably very little cost involved in the actual servers that run the games. The cost is in setting up the overall infrastructure for GW2 as a whole. (The host servers that run the VMs) So fluctuations of thousands of players coming and going at any given time aren't costing or making them any more or losing any less money. They could easily bring up and take down servers just by spinning up a new set of Virtual Machines (or taking them offline depending) The issues aren't really financial, but more in the logistics side and how they'd impact gameplay. Like populations and World v world matches etc.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Creslin321 The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

If you get rid of information that isn't objective, you're not left with very much. In another thread that got locked (not because of my posts), we had this:
    * Dramatic drop in players or player hours on a site that won't be named.
    * Metacritic - overall positive reviews from 'professional' reviewers.
    * Metacritic - overall positive reviews from regular people (who are probably players, but we can't be sure).
    * Amazon - GW2 is still in the top 10 games.
    * Amazon - GW2's position in the top ten is lower than it previously was.
    * Anet - are hiring 12 developers.
    * Anet - creating new content for the game.
    * Anet - There are no dead servers in the server status page(s). Half the servers are 'full' and 30% are 'high'.
    * MMORPG.Com - forum poll shows 50% of respondents are no longer playing the game. 50% are still playing the game.
    * MMORPG.Com - review articles are overall positive.
    * MMORPG.Com - game rating is overall positive.

And...that's it. None of this stuff depends on people having an opinion, none of it depends on anecdotal evidence and while the interpretation of the information is up for grabs, the information itself is pretty cut and dry.

I'm leaning towards the game is a success from Anet's perspective. I'm betting they are very happy with the game's performance. They're going to continue to expand the game and continue to happily sell expansions.

** edit **
    In the poll, I voted that the argument was bad. It depends on a lot of hyperbole either way and hyperbole, while good for fiction, isn't so great for any sort of factual discussion. So...I don't think either thread is any sort of factual discussion on the relative success or failure of GW2.

Exactly, there are no such things as bad facts. Facts are facts despite people's tendency to try to discredit those facts. See it all the time in these forums.

One of the things i loved seeing in your list is they hired MORE devs, no game company does this unless they are successful. Also, they hired specialized programmers to find a way to detect the bots and their programs so they can gather evidence to ban effectively the right people and not the players by accident. It's what Blizz did as well. Took care of alot of problems. (right around the time just before the cata expansion, they did this because they added a rather heavy teleportation patch to the game, and bots were exploiting that teleportation script to do all kinds of things like fly and create geometric shapes with toons in the middle of orgrimar, i remember this.) look familiar? 

I seem to recall some doomsaying during that time as well from people who were leaving the game or who were still playing but threatened to stop when WoW had this teleport issue.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by wordiz

Originally posted by KingJiggly

Originally posted by wordiz You'd be making a pretty extreme assumption. The decision to disband was made because people weren't logging in anymore, all PR aside.
    Thats not what your leader said. As given by the above poster lol. I completely understand why they disbanded, ques ques make it impossible for a guild of 1500 WVWVW guild to all fight at the same time... so it is more likely the indiviusal guilds spread around the servers to make it more even
    Hence, "All PR aside." He was trying to be as non-critical of the game as possible as a public relations move, but it's not the truth. The Alliance fell apart because people stopped playing, and it wasn't just the queues that caused this. I'm just being trolled aren't I? I still don't get, how you, as an outsider, think your opinions of our inner-operations even matter. I was trying to share the perspective of the alliance. Instead, I'm treated like I'm lying, candy coating, got you fact checking me when you weren't even involved in anything we're talking about.

Welcome to MMORPG, where your post history is checked before your posts are responded to in order to catch your discrepencies.

And where you're reported for harassment when someone doesn't agree with you, and MMORPG.com takes special care in the matter because the topic of discussion regards Anet, of who they steady feed off the teet of.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by wordiz You'd be making a pretty extreme assumption. The decision to disband was made because people weren't logging in anymore, all PR aside.
    Thats not what your leader said. As given by the above poster lol. I completely understand why they disbanded, ques ques make it impossible for a guild of 1500 WVWVW guild to all fight at the same time... so it is more likely the indiviusal guilds spread around the servers to make it more even
    Hence, "All PR aside." He was trying to be as non-critical of the game as possible as a public relations move, but it's not the truth. The Alliance fell apart because people stopped playing, and it wasn't just the queues that caused this. I'm just being trolled aren't I? I still don't get, how you, as an outsider, think your opinions of our inner-operations even matter. I was trying to share the perspective of the alliance. Instead, I'm treated like I'm lying, candy coating, got you fact checking me when you weren't even involved in anything we're talking about.

Welcome to MMORPG, where your post history is checked before your posts are responded to in order to catch your discrepencies.

And where you're reported for harassment when someone doesn't agree with you, and MMORPG.com takes special care in the matter because the topic of discussion regards Anet, of who they steady feed off the teet of.

AH, been there. And the funny thing is, some of the biggest offenders who report you are guilty of doing the exact thing they reported you for in other game's forums.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Hope the new content announcement today is a big one.
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Its true that people are leaving, or atleast logging on less.  I am one of those people.  I log on only once or twice a week now. 

The reason being, atleast for me, is i'm waiting for more updates (specifically for SPvP).  Right now, a lot of people have gobbled up all the content or they are bored.  Just give it time.  Anet knows they need to bring in some competitiveness factors, which they are drastically lacking.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

AH, been there. And the funny thing is, some of the biggest offenders who report you are guilty of doing the exact thing they reported you for in other game's forums.

I got banned for "flaming", so I got hit to...

Now, Geezer, I never looked at his post history. Please read our entire conversation first, I was talking about hsi guild leader who gave the reasons for closing down which include: people leaving, queques, guild leaving, and the overall inabaility to play WvWvW due to having an insanely huge alliance (grats to them). So geezer, mind your own business next time, k?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    There's a level of raw paranoia that's displayed in some of those posts upthread that's just a little frightening.

"I keep getting banned, because everyone hates me, they're always reporting me, I'm sure it's YOU and YOU and you over there, all the guys I hate the most...For No Reason!!one1!!! Shills are everywhere*twitch*! Alien mind control rays! CoNsPiRaCy!!"

Forum PVP...too long, too serious, way past time to stop.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Icewhite

There's a level of raw paranoia that's displayed in some of those posts upthread that's just a little frightening.

"I keep getting banned, because everyone hates me, they're always reporting me, I'm sure it's YOU and YOU and you over there, all the guys I hate the most...For No Reason!!one1!!! CoNsPiRaCy!!"

Forum PVP...too long, too serious, way past time to stop.

Yeah, I just wanted to let him know everyone gets banned. People on this sight seem to think that GW2 owns this site... along with its fans. Of course, their seems to be more haters of the game nowadays than fanboys.