Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 music is forgettable.

AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
Seriously, apart from the first few seconds of the title theme that is blasted into your ears every time you log in. The rest is simply forgettable, uninspiring and samey.

Though there is only one track played in Guild Wars 2 that is legitimately not forgettable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxa7n1mXVMs

Guess what. It's a Guild Wars track that hasn't been altered in any way that is played in Guild Wars 2. This track was memorable in Guild Wars 1 and it is still memorable in Guild Wars 2. This track is creative and beautiful. The new tracks in Guild Wars 2 lack such a soothing and atmospheric melody this track has. If it wasn't for this one track, I would have muted Guild Wars 2 music a long time ago.

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Strange, because I find myself whistling several different GW2 musics.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Have to agree, I was just thinking recently, its been pretty disappointing.  Not bad, just not memorable, or atmospheric enough.  Doesn't really conjure up any particular fantasy themes.. it's just kinda gently there, to fill the space.  Guess I'm not really a fan of Soule's style or something, I don't know.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Have to disagree, my current favourite is Times of Hope and Sorrow

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I'd wish it would play all the time. Two MMOs now with 2-3 minutes of music then a few hours of nothing.

I don't like this on and off crap. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

Originally posted by TheBigDRC

I'd wish it would play all the time. Two MMOs now with 2-3 minutes of music then a few hours of nothing.

You can adjust that in settings.  Slide "music interval" all the way to the left, to reduce the silence between tracks.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I can't think of a single MMO I'd say music is highly memorable for me... but I haven't forced myself to play my own music which I've done with several other MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by TheBigDRC

You can adjust that in settings.  Slide "music interval" all the way to the left, to reduce the silence between tracks.

Ah, so that's where they put it? Damn, you would think a "loop music" option would be easier. Meh.

Thanks. image

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188
    LoL...GW2 is the only MMO game where i dont turn off the music. 
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I can't think of a single MMO I'd say music is highly memorable for me... but I haven't forced myself to play my own music which I've done with several other MMOs

AoC and LOTRO both come to mind immediately for me.  Might be others if I give it more thought..

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

like the above said, LOTRO is definitely a leader in terms of music and atmospheric sound effects, but GW2 is pretty close.

it may not be an "OMG best song ever" type of a game, but it does what it's supposed to: adds to an already great atmosphere in the game

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129
    Acutally OP, even the music in the link that you posted is from GW1, and yes GW1 had much more memorable music. That which is new in GW2 is far from being as memorable and touching as most stuff in GW1 was.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Strange, because I find myself whistling several different GW2 musics.

That's..........that's not really suprising, all things considered.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

AoC and LOTRO both come to mind immediately for me.  Might be others if I give it more thought..

played both of those nothing sticks out in my mind as I still remember many console games music from over a decade ago...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

played both of those nothing sticks out in my mind as I still remember many console games music from over a decade ago...

AOC for sure...  That and the graphics are untouchable by any other MMO. The music in AOC was unbelievable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efl_PNTvPmU

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

AOC for sure...  That and the graphics are untouchable by any other MMO. The music in AOC was unbelievable.

Great , no question about that

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Great , no question about that

AoC has one of the best soundtracks among others like FF7. 

Back on topic though: GW2 has very good music too, few examples below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4G9Yr3pRIhc

Edit: A shorter song which I really like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRcKgiO2KVg

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I liked the GW2 score after you kill the Eye in that highly annoying run in/run out battle. And there is a short score that is kind of monumental that plays during normal PvE though I have no idea what/where it is.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

I have to agree, it's really lackluster in my opinion, nothing gives me the feel of adventure or excitement. 

Only games where I have fond memories when I re-listen to the music are Final Fantasy and TERA. Don't remember any of Rifts, or WoWs, actually I kind of get a little buzz of nostalgia from runescape music, it was simple but pretty catchy at the time in some places.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Everquest

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    I love the WvW theme tune. And it's great running about hearing the GW1 tracks as well. They make it feel like Guild Wars.
  • KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Music in MMO is not meant to be very memorable. It's supposed to be part of atmosphere/experience. There are tons of very catchy songs in jRPGs as people mentioned... but note that you don't play those RPGs for years... If music in MMO was more than something nice in the background, it could become pretty annoying quickly and after that you turn on your winamp. This was typical in WoW... You couldn't listen to dungeon music for very long (not mentioning it was arguably very bad).

That being said, I like GW2 music very much. It may not be the best epic music, but it just fits the world perfectly for me.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Befroe I first logged in, I had heard some saying the music was "amazing". When I did log in I was underwhelmed, even irratated by the music for a few days. After about a week I really started to dig it. By the time I left, I felt that it was ok. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • huihuhuhuhuihuhuhu Member UncommonPosts: 53
    these kind of posts crack me up. do people actually care wether you or someone else like the music?? have we become a world that is so self centered that we Have to post positive or negative things?? heres an idea,play the game,listen to the music,or don't play and wish you hadn't heard the music,but seriously who cares either way
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by AzurePrower
    Seriously, apart from the first few seconds of the title theme that is blasted into your ears every time you log in. The rest is simply forgettable, uninspiring and samey.

Though there is only one track played in Guild Wars 2 that is legitimately not forgettable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxa7n1mXVMs

Guess what. It's a Guild Wars track that hasn't been altered in any way that is played in Guild Wars 2. This track was memorable in Guild Wars 1 and it is still memorable in Guild Wars 2. This track is creative and beautiful. The new tracks in Guild Wars 2 lack such a soothing and atmospheric melody this track has. If it wasn't for this one track, I would have muted Guild Wars 2 music a long time ago.

Couldn't disagree more.  I still have this tune on my playlist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAwkcNSK5tc of this tune occur at epic moments in the personal story, which really add to the experience.  

Music tastes are matters of opinion, and my opinion is that GW2 music is very well done.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I like the music very much, a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g-2U44OacE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNlHc4JwTc&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rWkzpMoY5s

There are some bad things in GW2, but why is there at least one new thread every day on this forums, that critizises this game in a very unjustified way? Bad graphics, antisocial, no pvp, pay to win, boring combat and now bad music. It is rediculous.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.