Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to Play....Why?

kdw75kdw75 Member UncommonPosts: 73
I was a huge fan of PS. It was the first MMO I played and I spent hours on there having a blast with friends and people we met online. I am worried though that this being Free to Play will be an inferior game. Why are they going F2P on this? I tend to avoid F2P games like the plague so I am torn on this one since I am such a fan of the original.

Comments

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Most new mmo's from now on are likely to be so called F2P's. The old subscription model is almost dead. Either you get used to it, or stop playing this type of game.

I'm all in favour of the freemium model as used by LotRO or the B2P model as used by GW2. The proposed SWTOR one doesnot attract me at all however. I guess it depends how it's implemeneted by each game as to whether it's a good or bad thing.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by reaperuk

Most new mmo's from now on are likely to be so called F2P's. The old subscription model is almost dead. Either you get used to it, or stop playing this type of game.

That's complete horseshit. In fact, most titles that moved from a subscription based model to F2P killed themselves with it. Let me just give you a prime example: Lineage 2.

Yes, it is still running. Yes, active accounts are looking healthy, BUT: Who is playing the game nowadays? I can tell you: Botters and "Premium players". There is no place for free players. It's all about who puts the most money in, wins. So, if you've got to invest thousands of dollars to win anything in the game, why are they even advertising free play? It makes no sense.

F2P is the plague like the op stated and it will soon enough kill the whole genre. All it does is cater to greedy publishers and developers. Also, may I ask what made you think subscription models are dead in the first place?

Most F2P titles so far have been complete utter failures and most of the games who wen't F2P recently almost died instantly.

There is not a single F2P title out there that is not to be considered P2W.

• linwelinlinwelin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Edelbert

That's complete horseshit. In fact, most titles that moved from a subscription based model to F2P killed themselves with it. Let me just give you a prime example: Lineage 2.

Yes, it is still running. Yes, active accounts are looking healthy, BUT: Who is playing the game nowadays? I can tell you: Botters and "Premium players". There is no place for free players. It's all about who puts the most money in, wins. So, if you've got to invest thousands of dollars to win anything in the game, why are they even advertising free play? It makes no sense.

F2P is the plague like the op stated and it will soon enough kill the whole genre. All it does is cater to greedy publishers and developers. Also, may I ask what made you think subscription models are dead in the first place?

Most F2P titles so far have been complete utter failures and most of the games who wen't F2P recently almost died instantly.

you're Lineage 2 example is not very good is it lol most people stoped playing that game when newer games came out, most people could not stand the grind in that game, them going F2P was a brilliant thing, because it attracted people that had never played it before, heck if i had not played in before i would of at least gave it a shot.

Anyone who had been playing that game for a considerable time would always have an advantage over any new player, i remember when i first started playing that game, i had to spend money buying adena, so it has always been a pay2win game.

Free 2 play games is the way forward now, i have no time for greedy devs like blizzard who charge to buy a game then charge to play it then charge for every exspansion pack! how many has there been now ? and please dont use that excuse it cost money to run servers its old and has been found a bad excuse for years now.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

There's lots of F2P games out there that aren't P2W, the most blatant P2W game is Need for Speed: World, omg it's horrible.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by kdw75
    I was a huge fan of PS. It was the first MMO I played and I spent hours on there having a blast with friends and people we met online. I am worried though that this being Free to Play will be an inferior game. Why are they going F2P on this? I tend to avoid F2P games like the plague so I am torn on this one since I am such a fan of the original.

If you start out with f2p the transition to pay2win is easy. And thats where the cash is, apparently...

Sad but true. (Edit: Ok, I actualyl DONT think that to be true, but the industry seems to do...)

Of course that kills the game in terms of gameplay for serious gamers, but who cares... :(

Originally posted by kdw75
    I'm a big fan of the original, but not a big fan of PS2, PS2 doesn't have very much in common with PS1 except the factions- PS2 doesn't feel like the same type of game PS1 was.

I close/open beta tested PS1 during winter and spring 2002-2003 and subbed to PS1 for a few years until SOE added BFR's and I ended my sub like last year's fad going out of style. I've been in beta with PS2 for a few months and I haven't spent more than 10 total hours playing, I haven't even broken 50 kills (I see some passing 8-10K on the leaderboard). I can't put myself to spending much time with this game, even though it's pretty decent and it's MUCH better than Battlefield 3 (of which EA/DICE turned it into a CoD clone).

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

while its technically free to play, its not fully free to play. it will be a part of the station pass like all the other games soe has.

the free to play part will be an option but will be limited. To be honest the station pass is probabally the best deal in mmo's out right now. $15 a month for all the games.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

Saying every free2play game is pay2win is just stupid.  thats just you showing you hate the free2play model and bash anything thats associated with it.

Beside that i dont see myself playing a free2play game alot, i might play one but it will never be my main game because the ingame communities are so horrible.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Edelbert

+1

F2P is horrible for the gaming community. It sucks more and more money from its players for minimal rewards.

.50 cents a day for 24/7 content and not having to buy upgrades, gear, consumables, house decor, extra character slots, extra bags, quests, add-ons, and so much more is well worth it.

If you cant afford .50 a day for cheap entertainment then stop trying to make F2P sound so good, when its not. And games are getting cheaper and cheaper by each release asking you to pay for more and more. Its a huge money sink and i would rather just pay the 50 cents and not worry about it.

You ever notice F2P games get updates and new crap added at an alarming rate? Its so they can ssuk more cash from you lol.

• linwelinlinwelin Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Onomas

And games are getting cheaper and cheaper by each release asking you to pay for more and more.

What o.O games r not getting cheaper lol they r getting more exspensive due to these DLC's

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
        LOL @ the people who think every single f2p game is P2W...Not even close...As for PS2, Im sure they went f2p route because they have had good success with it from games like Free Realms and also the conversion of EQ2, EQ, and VG....SOE takes the route that they think will make the most money.
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

There's lots of F2P games out there that aren't P2W, the most blatant P2W game is Need for Speed: World, omg it's horrible.

+1

and with the worst comunity

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Players are not staying with one game as they used to in the past, most are jumping around. No MMO can survive just P2P model with that culture and with so many MMOs available in the market and new coming. No matter how good it is.

Sooner or later game WILL run out of content and players will jump to other one.

F2P is heare for good. Whether we like it or not.

Maybe except EVE Online - it holds it's own pretty good. And lets not talk about WOW.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    It isn't because the industry is headed to f2p no matter what. It is because SOE has chosen f2p as their new business model. Pretty simple.

You stay sassy!

• XoshuaXoshua Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Players are not staying with one game as they used to in the past, most are jumping around. No MMO can survive just P2P model with that culture and with so many MMOs available in the market and new coming. No matter how good it is.

Sooner or later game WILL run out of content and players will jump to other one.

F2P is heare for good. Whether we like it or not.

Maybe except EVE Online - it holds it's own pretty good. And lets not talk about WOW.

I logged on just to post to this thread.  It's honestly going to cause a 'sstorm', no that's not a typo.  Being a MMORPG player for 10+ years I'd like the mic.  P2P is my favourite option.  I work full time like most grown adults, I pay the $15/month, no big deal.  In this world, when you grow into a mature adult, you realize how the world works.  As the gentleman said previously, .50 cents/day is not a bad deal if the devs are willing to update and treat it like a P2P game.

F2P IS MMO's plague.  It honestly is.  It was created by the Asian Korean markets to cator to their play style.  We adapted it because it introduced the game to "more people."  But we don't want more people, we want people who want to play a serious MMO.  Until devs realize they need to cator to the hardcore gamers, the original people who payed their salaries, there will always be chaos.  They get greedy and try to cator to the masses, it cripples the hardcore gamers, the serious gamers, the people who made them devs in the first place.  My rants over, going back to working on my site.

Time to fix this genre.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    free to play is today and future wake up old sub plan is last season, play to free with cash shop wihout too much of advantage items on sale gives more money than base sub, some people may spend triple more a month than just sub as buying stuff.
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    A reason it's free2play is because players are the content, it's PVP and PVP needs players for it to work.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by m0lly
    free to play is today and future wake up old sub plan is last season, play to free with cash shop wihout too much of advantage items on sale gives more money than base sub, some people may spend triple more a month than just sub as buying stuff.

Pure F2P is still a sign of low quality, shalow gameplay and/or fast money grabs.

The companies that feature a cash shop that has an impact in gameplay along with some semblance of quality, offer a hybrid model, aka various ways to monetise the product.

There is a reason the worst subscription based games are still classified along with the best of what the F2P market has to offer. Retaining a steady playerbase is a lot harder and requires a lot more effort, than milking "whales" in the short term games offered in the F2P market.

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840

Couple people in this thread said that F2P wasn't P2W in many games.

I am curious, in which free game is the cash shop not P2W ?

City of Heroes, Champions Online, Guild Wars 1 & 2, Aion, Age of Conan if I remember, etc.

STO, DCUO, EQ2, LoTR, NFS:World, etc. are P2W.

Sub model isn't dead, if it was then WoW would've gone F2P. As long as the game is quality and is P2P then people will pay.

It is true though, people spend tons of money on F2P games, there's people in GW2 that spent $300 or more just to open Black Lion chests (/facepalm).

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Sub model isn't dead, if it was then WoW would've gone F2P. As long as the game is quality and is P2P then people will pay.

It is true though, people spend tons of money on F2P games, there's people in GW2 that spent $300 or more just to open Black Lion chests (/facepalm).

It's funny that you mock people for paying money for what they want when you are advocating people spending money on a videogame. 

Spending on BLC is a form of gambling and some people enjoy that. Raiding is a form of gambling and some people enjoy that.

I highly recommend recognizing your own bias.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by TeknoBug   Originally posted by m0lly free to play is today and future wake up old sub plan is last season, play to free with cash shop wihout too much of advantage items on sale gives more money than base sub, some people may spend triple more a month than just sub as buying stuff.
    Sub model isn't dead, if it was then WoW would've gone F2P. As long as the game is quality and is P2P then people will pay.   It is true though, people spend tons of money on F2P games, there's people in GW2 that spent $300 or more just to open Black Lion chests (/facepalm).
    It's funny that you mock people for paying money for what they want when you are advocating people spending money on a videogame. 

Spending on BLC is a form of gambling and some people enjoy that. Raiding is a form of gambling and some people enjoy that.

I highly recommend recognizing your own bias.

What bias? You can obtain the keys in game without spending a dime, but it takes longer to do and the drops from chests are terrible (confirmed), it's better off buying those dye packs or mats for legendaries.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469
    If you'd like to pay monthly - PS2 will have a subscription model.

F2P isn't quite. If you've got 40 hours/week to burn on PS2 - SOE will gladly have you play their game for 'free' - because you are providing a whole lot of content to others.

You need lots of people to have a war...

It's an interesting model and I'm curious how it will work.
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

This game isn't pay to win... You gain cert points faster if you sub or buy with station cash, but a minute old player can still kill someone whose spent a ton of certs upgrading.

Bullets are bullets, they all hit hard when they hit and its user skill that determines if they hit, theres no sword of mass destruction, no armour of blazing invulnerability, its guns people, guns! :)