Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"GW2 is in a tail spin" and "Huge success"

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by wordiz
    You'd be making a pretty extreme assumption. The decision to disband was made because people weren't logging in anymore, all PR aside.

Thats not what your leader said. As given by the above poster lol. I completely understand why they disbanded, ques ques make it impossible for a guild of 1500 WVWVW guild to all fight at the same time... so it is more likely the indiviusal guilds spread around the servers to make it more even

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think it was a succsess.  Compared to other games lately I guess that makes it a "huge" success . .. so I went with that option.  I likely won't play another MMO (aside from DF2  er DF:UW) unless it is truly a huge success.  Just sort of done for the time being.  

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    You'd be making a pretty extreme assumption. The decision to disband was made because people weren't logging in anymore, all PR aside.

Thats not what your leader said. As given by the above poster lol. I completely understand why they disbanded, ques ques make it impossible for a guild of 1500 WVWVW guild to all fight at the same time... so it is more likely the indiviusal guilds spread around the servers to make it more even

Hence, "All PR aside." He was trying to be as non-critical of the game as possible as a public relations move, but it's not the truth. The Alliance fell apart because people stopped playing, and it wasn't just the queues that caused this. I'm just being trolled aren't I?

I still don't get, how you, as an outsider, think your opinions of our inner-operations even matter. I was trying to share the perspective of the alliance. Instead, I'm treated like I'm lying, candy coating, got you fact checking me when you weren't even involved in anything we're talking about.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I think the game is a huge success.  The game isn't really going to redefine the genre like some people stated.  The game isn't going to kill WoW, like others have wanted.

But the statements of others, as faithfully second= and third-hand reported, are always remarkably overstated.  But the lore about them grows and grows with every re-telling.  We must attack!

Look, quote the extremist nutbag/probable trollls of the pro-side.  Others report back the extremist nutbag/probable trolls of the anti-side.  Then hear as a general stupidity grows a little louder, a few more extremists appear.  Someone reads that 'wow-killer', puts on his Defender of the Evil Empire t-shirt, and leaps to the defense.  Someone else puts on his I Hate Everything About WoW t-shirt, and leaps to the defense of Anet.

And they're all, all, volunteer and unpaid viral marketers for GameX, or GameY, or Schadenfreude in general.  Some are just sandbox fans, caught in entirely the wrong war.

And next week, a new game will be announced, or a new press release, or a financial report....and we're off and running in the great circle of hype again.  Followed by the circle of hype haters.  etc. etc. play it afreakingain Sam.  This is forumPvP! Arrrrrgggh!!one1!  :violently attacks his innocent gyro:  nom!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I kind of though the results were odd, because you see so much hate threads now days,  I would have figured it would have been a 50% split. 

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Hence, "All PR aside." He was trying to be as non-critical of the game as possible as a public relations move, but it's not the truth. The Alliance fell apart because people stopped playing, and it wasn't just the queues that caused this. I'm just being trolled aren't I?

I can confirm this.  I was in a guild that was part of the Titan Alliance from very early on.  Our guild has since closed it's GW2 chapter due to lack of interest.  Basically, no one was logging on for WvW, even on the match up reset nights.  There was literally 2 people in the WvW when the leadership decided it was time to close the GW2 chapter.  I can't speak for everyone's experience, but from what I've heard, this was pretty much the case in the majority of TA guilds.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Originally posted by killion81

I can confirm this.  I was in a guild that was part of the Titan Alliance from very early on.  Our guild has since closed it's GW2 chapter due to lack of interest.  Basically, no one was logging on for WvW, even on the match up reset nights.  There was literally 2 people in the WvW when the leadership decided it was time to close the GW2 chapter.  I can't speak for everyone's experience, but from what I've heard, this was pretty much the case in the majority of TA guilds.

Thanks homie. =D

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Fion

Huge success. Why? Because the number of western themepark MMOGs that show full servers and a very heavy populations more than one month after launch in the post WoW era can be counted on one hand. Rift and LotRO are the only ones I can think of and neither had a very large population at any one time or have lost significant numbers over the years.Just about every other western themepark MMOG has begun to die off within the first month.

This trend has not continued with GW2 The game is now more than two months old and still going strong. One could suggest that the game is only doing well because there isn't a monthly fee, but that is hypothetical at best and thus there is no merit in the argument. The simple fact is, the game is two months old and instead of seeing major population loss, hints are mergering servers as with almost every single post-WoW western themepark MMOG, we are seeing the exact opposite.

There unfortunately aren't recent population numbers, but there are some good indicators. For example, last week the game was the #3 top seller in the UK, taking Pandaria's spot, while that game moved down to #6.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

Likewise the game is still on the top 20 PC game sales list in Amazon at #9 and 12 (digital). If you discount sales, it's even higher.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

I know, the trolls hate this game, with a passion. But they are wrong on this one.

Actually their is great merit to that argument, and one that should be studied more closely. I feel that if SW:TOR used the same bussiness model as GW 2 it would have been just as succesful. Both games released with  a level of polish, both had lots of content upon release, and both suffer from some of the same anti-social issues with game design prefering solo play. The only real diference between the two(other than overal business model) is SW:TOR has much better writng and GW2 has much better combat mechanics.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

I still don't get, how you, as an outsider, think your opinions of our inner-operations even matter. I was trying to share the perspective of the alliance. Instead, I'm treated like I'm lying, candy coating, got you fact checking me when you weren't even involved in anything we're talking about.

I am fact checking you for obvious reasons. An alliance disbanding is different from people leaving. If I could get your rank (and name?) of where you were in this alliance I will gladly say I was wrong, as I have said before, however since you continue the assumption 1,500 people from one allaince all just got up and left, I will continue fact checking. It is called politics.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I think the game is a huge success.  The game isn't really going to redefine the genre like some people stated.  The game isn't going to kill WoW, like others have wanted.

But the statements of others, as faithfully second= and third-hand reported, are always remarkably overstated.  But the lore about them grows and grows with every re-telling.  We must attack!

Look, quote the extremist nutbag/probable trollls of the pro-side.  Others report back the extremist nutbag/probable trolls of the anti-side.  Then hear as a general stupidity grows a little louder, a few more extremists appear.  Someone reads that 'wow-killer', puts on his Defender of the Evil Empire t-shirt, and leaps to the defense.  Someone else puts on his I Hate Everything About WoW t-shirt, and leaps to the defense of Anet.

And they're all, all, volunteer and unpaid viral marketers for GameX, or GameY, or Schadenfreude in general.  Some are just sandbox fans, caught in entirely the wrong war.

And next week, a new game will be announced, or a new press release, or a financial report....and we're off and running in the great circle of hype again.  Followed by the circle of hype haters.  etc. etc. play it afreakingain Sam.  This is forumPvP! Arrrrrgggh!!one1!  :violently attacks his innocent gyro:  nom!

True... but you're here reading all.  Just sayin'. ;)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

True... but you're here reading all.  Just sayin'. ;)

I can't have free time to kill, like everyone else?  Check post count..

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

Thanks homie. =D

[mod edit]

As an outsider looking in it would seem that both parties seem to be right to some extant. According to the Titan alliance home page.

"Titan Alliance Operations Change

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

Originally posted by Presbytier

Thanks homie. =D

[mod edit]

As an outsider looking in it would seem that both parties seem to be right to some extant. According to the Titan alliance home page.

And I have said this earlier! I was just disputing the amount leaving, they are insisting that just 1,500 people upped and left. I stated several times that there was a mix of both. Should really copy and paste my comment :P

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Thanks homie. =D

[mod edit]

You know, the funny thing is that, that alliance disbanding basically proves nothing, and was almost a foregone conclusion lol...I mean this is what we know...

1.  An alliance of 1500 has disbanded primarily because of queues (1500 duh), and the game not being competitive (1500 alliance vs. anything wins duh lol).

2.  Some of those alliance members have left the game (new game, people leave duh).

3.  Some of those alliance members have stayed in the game (duh).

Sooo yeah...what does that tell you?  Nothing.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Creslin321

You know, the funny thing is that, that alliance disbanding basically proves nothing, and was almost a foregone conclusion lol...I mean this is what we know...

1.  An alliance of 1500 has disbanded primarily because of queues (1500 duh), and the game not being competitive (1500 alliance vs. anything wins duh lol).

2.  Some of those alliance members have left the game (new game, people leave duh).

3.  Some of those alliance members have stayed in the game (duh).

Sooo yeah...what does that tell you?  Nothing.

Exactly.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by wordiz You'd be making a pretty extreme assumption. The decision to disband was made because people weren't logging in anymore, all PR aside.
    Hence, "All PR aside." He was trying to be as non-critical of the game as possible as a public relations move, but it's not the truth. The Alliance fell apart because people stopped playing, and it wasn't just the queues that caused this. I'm just being trolled aren't I? I still don't get, how you, as an outsider, think your opinions of our inner-operations even matter. I was trying to share the perspective of the alliance. Instead, I'm treated like I'm lying, candy coating, got you fact checking me when you weren't even involved in anything we're talking about.

Welcome to MMORPG, where your post history is checked before your posts are responded to in order to catch your discrepencies.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

Considering that players have posted irrefutable evidence to the contrary of the "tailspin" argument, I would say it's quite clear which statement has more credibility.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347

1300 of those players were probably PRX members lol.

Yes, I went there.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by aphydork

As with any other MMO, you have people who really love it still playing it. Everyone else either hated it, or they liked it but found themselves moving on.

It should be considered successful, because the game is incredibly polished. It made a tidy profit. A lot of people enjoyed it. Unfortunately, it can't be enjoyed as a persistent MMO for everyone. Its design, that is beloved by some, can be seen as inherently flawed by others.

I don't think there will be any games that will be popular with the vast majority anymore. Guild Wars 2 had a good shot, but the choices the developers made were too polarizing--which is not a bad thing.

As for Guild Wars 2 being in a tailspin, it's in about as much of a tailspin as any other MMO that's released. Everyone rushes in to try it, and after a month or so, the population drops.

This!!!!! Finally a sensible answer.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

Considering that players have posted irrefutable evidence to the contrary of the "tailspin" argument, I would say it's quite clear which statement has more credibility.

Oh boy.  "Irrefutable evidence?"

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

and where might I find that evidence?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

and where might I find that evidence?

I was thinking of asking for a brief summarization of the irrefutable evidence. I was a little upset that I read the thread and didn't remember reading it. I'm glad I am not alone.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I LOVE threads about other threads....

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Myself, and the other 1500+ former members of the Titan Alliance.

1500 members is a drop in the bucket compared to the 2+ millions total purchases of this game. 

1500 members that went 30-0 in WvW, leveled to max level, fully geared, saw all endgame content...and promptly left. Some of us stuck around, like Synapse with their world first legendary, and myself to get 100% world map completion and completion of all jumping puzzles in the game. We ran out of stuff to do. The only thing left was WvW, and that wasn't even enough.

You played the game wrongly which is the reason for why you got burnt out so quickly. Max-min gamestyle was not the intent of Arenanet. The casual player is the main target and the retention of them, in the sense of how much they spend on the item mall and whether or not they buy expansions, is what is deciding how successful this game is. 

So have fun with your pointless casual game. Whatever happened to it being an "e-sport?"

What point is there to playing a game other than entertainment? I get the impression you don't consider yourself a casual player, if so then tough, the game wasn't designed with you in mind. This was always clear up front, casual friendly, hardcore players will not have much of a tangible benefit over casuals in the long run. Many of the casual players (90+ % of gamers) are still having fun. If you have run out of things to do then you're probably doomed to the next themepark unless you want to consider a sandbox, that might keep you busy longer.

Just want to point out that per a poll on this very forum, a larger amount of pre 80 players quit than continue to play.  Now, this poll could be wrong, but it's more scientific than random made up numbers and it is no where close to 90%+.

And if you read what was written instead of what you thought was written you'd see your mistake. I didn't claim 90% of players were still playing. Learn to read properly. I wrote Many of the casual players (90+ % of gamers) are still having fun.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

imageimage
  • DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by JoeyMMOOriginally posted by wordiz
      And if you read what was written instead of what you thought was written you'd see your mistake. I didn't claim 90% of players were still playing. Learn to read properly. I wrote Many of the casual players (90+ % of gamers) are still having fun.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that statement.

I hate getting into numerical debates because no one can credibly cite references that support, either pro or con. 90% of WHAT gamers are still having fun? X quoter in a guild of 2K members and 90% of that guild still play? That isn't 90%. The percentage (when you make a statement like % of players with no definition of subsets) refers to ALL players. In this case 90% of all casual players and that number = (total sales - hardcore players - botters)

I could say 100% of all the people I know who play the game are still playing. I know 2 people in game. 3 are still playing so 100%. (Which is also wrong because I stopped playing more than a week ago so the number would be 66%).

NOONE has any inking of what the game is doing beyond a small subset of persons they interact with.

For the people who keep quoting server usage as 'FULL' = the game is doing incredible, it doesn't definitely mean that. I tend to agree that it is a LIKELY accurate statement but here's a scenario: ( I am not a conspiracy theorist just a realist). If the company sees that people are using the server usage as a guide to measure the viability of a game and they know that when a game starts to empty more people jump ship, lower the capacity. Then people continue to see 'FULL' and 'HIGH' pops even when the populations were less than originally.

It's all about factual numbers and no one has them. I personally think the server caps are still where they were 2 months ago but the possibility exists that they were lowered (or raised for that matter) and noone has proof positive or negative.

(I do think we will see server merges in 6-8 months unless they do some really dynamic changes and I hope they do. I like the game and it will always have a steady base of players but I think it's too vanilla to maintain even half of it's sales over the one year mark without major changes and things like a Halloween event aren't going to do it.