Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is so bad. OR so that was the Narrative the past few years

ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

SO has evryone pretty much jsut forgiven SOE for all their past mistakes and jumping on the bandwagon with PS2?

And why is this game even on an MMO site, shouldnt it be on the FPSguru site?  I mean its not liek this is a true MMO, its more of a hack and slash full scale FPS with very minimal progression elements needed to make an MMO successful.

I see this game dieing out within a few months because its trying to cater to too many people, plus its being developed by the worlds worst studio (well 2nd worse if you want to consider EA the worst).  Then again, I guess theres nothing wrong with a niche audience.  Myself if I wanted to play a FPS, id play Modern Warfare which is so much more better then the garbage that this game trys to be.  SciFi and not spaces combat, lol failure.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
Waiting on: TESO
Next Flop: Planetside 2
Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Comments

• ktchnflrrpstktchnflrrpst Member Posts: 96

A very thought through and intelligent post you made there.

When I read your "arguments"  it felt like it was being made by an uneducated bible thumping white trash redneck.

You're dead wrong by the way. This game is excellent in comparison to _EVERY_ F2P game and most P2P games. This game have come so far since alpha which ended this summer, the current itiration is hundreds of milestones ahead in comparison to every F2P game when you compare development cycles.

This time SOE is doing it right, they're actually listening to their testers. I've been in this game since alpha. Never before have I witnessed this kind of interraction from game developers. Mind you, I've been in most early phases of testing of MMO's since '98.

But don't just take my word for it, take most 'renowned' game critics word, the majority of them, most having low respect for SOE's dealings in the past are all convinced that SOE is doing a great job with Planetside 2.

PS; This game will survive without you, this game clearly does not cater to you since it's a Sci-Fi game thas no space combat. LOL!? Am I right? I am actually laughing out loud right now, silly gooses Sony Online Entertainment for not having combat in space, so funny... Either you're trolling or you're just a silly goose.

• Proton37Proton37 Member Posts: 7

I do hope they add more depth to the game tho, so far it has a great base to work with

But the bases are all too similar.

Also would like to see veicles play a smaller role, just seems if you are a foot soldier, you are pretty usless when there seems to always be 50 tanks in the area.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    I never had any major issues with SOE.  They're big business, but nowhere near the evil that is EA, IMHO.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ch1ppzch1ppz Member Posts: 1
    For me, SoE was always a disappointment... That being said, I have played some of their new/upcoming titles and they seem much more promising than past ones.  Also, they impressed me a lot at E3. I spoke with a few producers and devs and they said many times thay they've made a lot of in-house changes.  With all that, only time will tell if it all holds up or if it is just impressive fluff.  *crosses fingers*
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Terrible terrible thread OP.  You sound so ignorant on the topic it makes me regret even clicking the link.

Anyways, SOE used to be one of the biggest fail companies on the market as soon as SWG debacle happened.  After that it was a sling shot into hell for them.  Vanguard, Matrix Online, Everquest 2 being rushed to beat WoW and then slowly stripping out the cool features of the game to match WoW's simplicity, etc, etc...

Over the last year or two though SOE, mainly Smedley, has been seemingly trying to erase their bad past.  PS2, even though I never played PS1, looks great and from the beta reviews of the players and people I know who have played it sounds like it is a solid game for that audience.

And another big thumbs up is the recent direction they have taken eq2 and now breathing life into VG, which had a horrible beginning but was one of the most promising games of its time.  Also Everquest Next, it is being rebuilt from the ground up and hopefully will be a true successor to EQ1. 

I used to be one of the biggest haters for SOE and now I have forgiven them of their past mistakes and am very hopeful of their future.  I really hope EQN has the badass facial recognition feature EQ2 has, that thing is so freaking cool to watch.

People who can't let go of their hatred when a company/person is really trying to change are the problem.  Grow up, let go, learn to forgive.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

$OE has been the one of the worst gaming companies I have ever had the displeasure to deal with- SOE is like a Hospice where good games go to be put on life support and die.

-That said- I am sure as HELL going to give them another chance with what I am hearing about EQ Next...

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    i see SOE as a company that makes games that are profitable but its been a long time since they had a hit MMO I have around the same amount of confidence in them as i do funcom, sure they both at one time made some innovative games but that was a long time ago and since then its been unimpressive to me.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    SOE's main problem through most of their MMO development is not in creating interesting or even quality titles.  Their problem is/has been post launch development getting in the way of their stupidity and greed.  Smedley has always been a corporate sack of shit that will say whatever he needs to in order to hype whatever the 'next big thing' is at SOE.   Anyway, I'm happy for those that will be able to enjoy this title if it's anywhere near as good as it's made out to be.  The market needs a quality shooter/FPS MMO because right now there really aren't any.  Unfortunately for me I'll pass because I absolutely won't touch an MMO title with SOE as the developer.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Forgive SOE?  LOL!   They haven't proven they are not still the same company yet.    Anyone care to bet that after the lunch of Planetside2, it'll be less than a year before they have given up on the game and let it rot?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

SO has evryone pretty much jsut forgiven SOE for all their past mistakes and jumping on the bandwagon with PS2?

No. The main reason I won't even try this game is because it is SOE.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

And why is this game even on an MMO site, shouldnt it be on the FPSguru site?  I mean its not liek this is a true MMO, its more of a hack and slash full scale FPS with very minimal progression elements needed to make an MMO successful.

I see this game dieing out within a few months because its trying to cater to too many people, plus its being developed by the worlds worst studio (well 2nd worse if you want to consider EA the worst).  Then again, I guess theres nothing wrong with a niche audience.  Myself if I wanted to play a FPS, id play Modern Warfare which is so much more better then the garbage that this game trys to be.  SciFi and not spaces combat, lol failure.

Well during testing for PS2 SOE have been really good, listening to the testers and changing quite a lot of things around due to requests.. so yeah they are doing good things..

As for your second part about it not being an MMO? Are you serious ? 6000 players per server, 2000 on each continent..

How in any way is it not an MMO?

Well its fair enough if you dont like it but i think quite a few people will disagree with you lol.. its one of the best games to come out in some time and so much better than COD:MW 100 or whatever number itson now LOL...

Originally posted by Vesavius

Well thats just being a bit silly really as you will be missing out on a great game and on release it wont cost a penny if you dont want it to. Sure SOE and LA messed up SWG but they are doing good things with this,,

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Airwren
    SOE's main problem through most of their MMO development is not in creating interesting or even quality titles.  Their problem is/has been post launch development getting in the way of their stupidity and greed.  Smedley has always been a corporate sack of shit that will say whatever he needs to in order to hype whatever the 'next big thing' is at SOE.   Anyway, I'm happy for those that will be able to enjoy this title if it's anywhere near as good as it's made out to be.  The market needs a quality shooter/FPS MMO because right now there really aren't any.  Unfortunately for me I'll pass because I absolutely won't touch an MMO title with SOE as the developer.

Well your loss it seems, after playing the beta i can see how much work they put into this game, it has exception gameplay and lighting, prob one of the nest physics system ive seen in a game, and from what ive seen the cash shop it entirly cosmetics stuff and secondary weapons (which isnt a big deal) and you can purchase with ingame currency anyway. The beta itself is exceptionmaly polished with a few bugs ive found however they got fixed within 2 days of being discovered.

Wizardy online for SoE - is another one to keep an eye out it seems if you like a challenge, although made on a lower budget that PS2 and the EQ games it features are unique and seem like it offer a challenge.

Vanguard - been getting alot of attention and is moving in the right dirrection from what ive seen and heard.

Seems to me alot of thing that you can expect to see in there next major game after PS2 which is Everquest:next is currently being tested in other games, EQ2 testing the faction reconition software, PS2 is testing the engine and i xpect wizardy online will be checking out PvP elements in a fantasy based game. Seems to me SoE trying to go back to there roots again and trying to make a world instead of just making a game like every other developer seems to be doing atm. IMO it will definetly be worth keeping and eye on Everquest Next since it looks like there pulling out all the stops to try and make it right.

Originally posted by Caldrin

Well thats just being a bit silly really as you will be missing out on a great game and on release it wont cost a penny if you dont want it to. Sure SOE and LA messed up SWG but they are doing good things with this,,

Why get invested in a 'great game' when every past indicator says that the company in charge will pull the rug out from under you in some form or another sometime in the future? 

I have zero trust for Smed or SOE so no way, at this time, am I ready to trust them with my invested time and money. 

I am not sure what past experience you have had with this company Caldrin, but mine is littered with broken promises and outright lies.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    well their are plans to add 3 more continents; so will be a total of 5 in the end.... pretty big game to me, I dont think it will flop at all
  • adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    SOE brought me EQ, but also destroyed SWG.  Its a wash for me.  If EQ Next is a sandbox, i will sing the praises of SOE again!

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Not to mention SoE is treating PS2 beta as an acualy beta which is a great sign if you ask me.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I have been playing off and on and I don't really like it, it feels like a SoE game....
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Why get invested in a 'great game' when every past indicator says that the company in charge will pull the rug out from under you in some form or another sometime in the future? 

I have zero trust for Smed or SOE so no way, at this time, am I ready to trust them with my invested time and money. 

I am not sure what past experience you have had with this company Caldrin, but mine is littered with broken promises and outright lies.

Have been gaming with SOE since EQ1 beta..

Think i have played nearly every one of their games..

Only real let down i can think of was SWG they or where forced to make a change to that game that totally broke it.

Matrix was just boring and bad so had no issues them shutting it down.

Vanguard would never have existed if it was not for SOE.. sure they could have done so much more with it and thats a shame but its the way things go i guess.

I enjoyed EQ2 for about a year and ahalf before i moved onto other things..

Never had any issues contacting their support or any billing issues.. it was always the SWG thing that used to make me think twice about trying one of their games.. but after going through the testing process with PS2  it seems they are a totally different company.. I think they know they need to change to get back peoples trust.. From what i have seen so far this year they are going in the right direction..

Now if you refuse to play PS2 due to past mistakes then really your only letting yourself down as on release it wont cost you a penny play it. So even if you do play it and hate it yor not giving SOE any cash unless you want to..

ah hell now im sounding like an SOE fanboi haha.. but as i said during this beta i have kind of changed my find about SOE..

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I couldnt care less which company creates or publishes the game if it's free to try and if it looks good for anything. If it turns shit at some point in time, fine, I'll just stop playing it, at the end of the day it's just a game.

Have been gaming with SOE since EQ1 beta..

Think i have played nearly every one of their games..

Only real let down i can think of was SWG they or where forced to make a change to that game that totally broke it.

Matrix was just boring and bad so had no issues them shutting it down.

Vanguard would never have existed if it was not for SOE.. sure they could have done so much more with it and thats a shame but its the way things go i guess.

I enjoyed EQ2 for about a year and ahalf before i moved onto other things..

Never had any issues contacting their support or any billing issues.. it was always the SWG thing that used to make me think twice about trying one of their games.. but after going through the testing process with PS2  it seems they are a totally different company.. I think they know they need to change to get back peoples trust.. From what i have seen so far this year they are going in the right direction..

Now if you refuse to play PS2 due to past mistakes then really your only letting yourself down as on release it wont cost you a penny play it. So even if you do play it and hate it yor not giving SOE any cash unless you want to..

ah hell now im sounding like an SOE fanboi haha.. but as i said during this beta i have kind of changed my find about SOE..

I have no problem with your view on this Cald, it's cool that you are not jaded like I am with regards to this company tbh.

I will be watching PS2 veeeery carefully. If infact they do behave themselves with it then I will no doubt relax my views on them for EQNext and have a more open mind.

We shall see :)

• Greyflame11Greyflame11 Member Posts: 45

Most likely SOE will change PS2 to something else down the road... of course that is the way of all MMOs... 

Too bad you're that jaded that you won't even try the game...  I'm having a great time, especially when in an organized outfit.  And tank zergs?  Ain't nuthin to 'em if you have engineers and HA with the right launchers... just wish the engineers had more mines to carry and place on the battlefield....

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

" see this game dieing out within a few months because its trying to cater to too many people, plus its being developed by the worlds worst studio (well 2nd worse if you want to consider EA the worst). "

F2P games take forever to die out, simply because so many try it because of the simplicity to join in. They dont always make money but that is a diffrent conversation.

Do i like SOE? No...but when it comes to games most people dont really care so much as long as it is fun. So come off your SWG high horse sir...  and it has been a while since zylaxx responded to his own thread. Seeing all the responses on here id like him to chime in on his opinion.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Well Planetside 2 has some hope, for me there's not much on the table for upcoming games- I'm done with that shitbag BF3 game which is sad since I'm a long time BF gamer since BF1942 demo and I'm not feeling it with BF3, and I'm not even bothering with Call of Duty anymore either. There's not really any MMORPG game out there that grabs me right now so I may as well wait for ArchAge and the Repopulation, not sure if Age of Wulin will ever hit the west.

For now I'm still playing and enjoying GW2, I've been in beta PS2 for a few months but haven't put alot of time into it (maybe ~10 hours total) but I'll probably be dropping in there once in a while after release. I'll probably be playing Counter-Strike: GO occasionally too. If PS1 goes F2P I'll definitely be going back to that.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

You clearly never played Planetside or you wouldn't even make this thread.

PS2 is an mmo, end of story. It's massive, it's muiltiplayer and it's online....why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

SOE was bad mostly for SWG players. SOE got majority of its hate from those hand ful of forum warriors on regular basis. I have played EQ and EQ2 for years and i have absolutely no beef with SOE.

And i will be playing PS2 first day of release.