Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney buys Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

For the SW franchise it is great news. Lucas was good at creating characters and worlds, but never with directing movies. So it can only get better with new SW movies.

Disney has proven to be capable with bought franchises and companies, and new SW stuff for the future sounds good to me. Sure, it won't be like you experienced it as kids in 1980. Times move on. But I am very optimistic. ^^

As for SWTOR: I doubt it will mean anything. The game would need a total rework, and I doubt Disney would invest into that. Not even sure anything but totally starting from Square One would help actually.

NOTE: I dunno why people are so acidic. Disney never added Mickey Mouse to bought franchises, other than in their Disneyland Parks. Donald Duck didn't appear in any Pixar or Marvel movie, nor in Pirates of the Carribbean. So what gives? Lucas always saw Star Wars as family entertainment. And sorry if you don't like the Prequels, but I think many see the Old Triology in rose tinted glasses. With it's Hippie-like theme it was on top of it's time in the 70ies and 80ies, but you can't just leave things in a 30+ year old state. Franchises have to adapt to a degree to get new, younger people, and YES that sometimes mean to alienate old time fans, cry me a river. I think people should remain open minded to change. Not EVERY change, but some seem to want SW cemented in some 1977 ideal. Keep in mind, you were kids back then. You saw it with different eyes.

NOTE II: Personally, I always hated the post-Episode VI expanded universe. All about Thawn, Yuzhan Vong asf. was stupid. I hated especially now the destroyed all Luke, Han and Leia worked so hard for; Jedi Order and Republic both were destroyed within their lifetime. That was just WRONG on so many levels. So if they totally rewrite the EU, good riddance I say.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    My money is on the kid Anakin and kid Obi-Wan stories, it's Disney kind of stuff.

anakins kid has already been done in episodes IV, V, and VI :P and obi-wan never had kids afaik

There is a whole series of books based on 10-12 year old Anakin & the same for the 10-12 year old Obi-Wan just as they start Padawan-hood

Hey, the Jedi Padawan series about young Obiwan was actually entertaining. But I doubt they will make ANYTHING known. I mean, people would know the story. Doubt they make that.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DekapitatorDekapitator Member UncommonPosts: 261

• Proton37Proton37 Member Posts: 7

Honestly, I think Disney will take the films in a postive direction, I dont think anyone could recapture the magic of the originals, but still I do think they will be better then the last 3.

I really do hope that even tho SW is made for special effects, that disney remembers to really make a good solid story to go with the film,

Originally posted by Dekapitator

*rollseyes* You know we talk about silly movies, videogames and comics, yes?

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Elikal

NOTE II: Personally, I always hated the post-Episode VI expanded universe. All about Thawn, Yuzhan Vong asf. was stupid. I hated especially now the destroyed all Luke, Han and Leia worked so hard for; Jedi Order and Republic both were destroyed within their lifetime. That was just WRONG on so many levels. So if they totally rewrite the EU, good riddance I say.

This whole post was great and I agree with your take on the whole thing. But most of all I love what you wrote about the EU. That stuff is 95% pure crap. One of my favorite blunders is where they go to Kashyyyk in one of the Zahn books and you discover that Chewie has a speech impediment whereas the other wookies speak the Queen's English. I love authors who treat their readers like imbeciles.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35

There will be new Star Wars films and George Lucas wont have anything to do with them....

...you know maybe there is a god :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Rilman

There will be new Star Wars films and George Lucas wont have anything to do with them....

yes he will..

Originally posted by Nibs
    Joss Whedon + Star Wars...

would be epic

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Caldrin

yes he will..

Really? damnnit.

yes he will..

Really? damnnit.

only as a creative consultant so i dont think he will have that much say..

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

yes he will..

Really? damnnit.

only as a creative consultant so i dont think he will have that much say..

Given how he royally "goofed the floor" with the last three films (and the Star Wars Unleashed series), that is for the best.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber as the new Leia and Luke!!!!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Disney and LF/LA have been working together for years.  There's a reason the Star Tours and Indiana Jones rides are exclusive to Disney.  And the Clone Wars tv series?  C'mon.  If you didn't see it coming you are blind.
  • er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    I would love to see them making movie about Bane. Seriously this was my favorite SW book (3 books LOL).

PLEASE...PLEASE....GOD NO! Shame on you for even uttering those words out loud. The last thing in the world i would like to see is Disney completely neutering Bane and Zannah.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by er99
    I would love to see them making movie about Bane. Seriously this was my favorite SW book (3 books LOL).

PLEASE...PLEASE....GOD NO! Shame on you for even uttering those words out loud. The last thing in the world i would like to see is Disney completely neutering Bane and Zannah.

You guys and your EU.  Just give it up.  That stuff is just filler to keep people placated between movies.  It's not like George helped create those stories or even cared what happened in them.  Learn to accept them as a sort of parallel universe that has little bearing on actual films.

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126

All I can say is...GOOD FRIGGIN RIDDANCE to the EU. Thank God they're retconning the crap out of that pile of bantha poodoo. Like seriously, EU post ROTJ are all shit.

I'm so glad they're truly retconning all that and not using any of them. At least, I hope anyway. Hopefully they don't go back on their direction cos man.....fuck the Expanded Universe bullshit.

• er99er99 Member CommonPosts: 101
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

You guys and your EU.  Just give it up.  That stuff is just filler to keep people placated between movies.  It's not like George helped create those stories or even cared what happened in them.  Learn to accept them as a sort of parallel universe that has little bearing on actual films.

HA! no way. i'd happily take the EU and all its books in place of any of the movies any day.  not to go to far off topic but...was talking to a co-worker about this yesterday specifically regarding Lucas' butchering of the canon in the EU. he had every right to do as he pleased but considering how much $$$ he made off the EU over the years you would think he could of had the respect to the writers to preserve it. i hope he chokes on a $100 dollar bill to be honest.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

A caveat to the hopeful: That Star Wars dance game for the X-Box

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_xJqkzngBI

/shudder

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

The problem with this is the thinking that Georgie added much to the Universe.  While he was great with visuals, his content was mediocre at best.  Given the huge number of novels, etc, in the EU, some of them are going to be poor, yes.  (Especially at the beginning, when  they were indeed treated as filler. )   But a lot of the writing in the EU tops anything Lucas has ever done in Star Wars.  Especially recently.

A whole lot of people did writing passes on the first trilogy scripts:  That's one of the reasons why they were better than the second trilogy.

Like any major IP Universe, there is an extended set of rules and strictures about what could be done and written about.  You deviate from that and you'd be edited or called to explain why. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by alexanys1982
    Stop dreaming that now because Disney has the rights that the next few movies wont suck. He already wrote and will have a hand in the new movies. It will be the same as b4, major suckage. Stop dreaming.

Lucas won't have control, and the people who do make the movies won't be surrounded by his cabal of yes-men leeches.   He's signed away his rights to the whole thing.  He owns a ton of Disney stock now.  He's not stupid enough to be causing trouble for Disney, even if he doesn't like the direction they take things. 

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Originally posted by JKwervo

All I can say is...GOOD FRIGGIN RIDDANCE to the EU. Thank God they're retconning the crap out of that pile of bantha poodoo. Like seriously, EU post ROTJ are all shit.

I'm so glad they're truly retconning all that and not using any of them. At least, I hope anyway. Hopefully they don't go back on their direction cos man.....fuck the Expanded Universe bullshit.

Glad you came by to tell us The Truth! 

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Star Wars has already gone "plastic". It used to be an entity that was rock solid and entertaining. Now it's all about cheap merchandise, mediocre movies, and mass advertising crap products (including SWTOR).

They need to start going a tad darker with their films. The original 3 were made for all ages. The newer 3, especially Episode 1, were made for children.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Well, for the movies, I would say they're all going to be about the death of luke and the children of all the main characters.  George always said his original plans was to make 9 movies, but the final 3 (which happen after the original 3) would take too long, and he was feeling too old to complete all 3 of them.  So that's just what I figure it would be about.

As for the games, I never really like any star wars game, except Kotor 1 and 2.  The rest weren't that great, even force unleashed and SWG.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I don't care if they scrap the whole of EU.

Even if they found some of the best ones and based a movie or two on those, it'd still be boring. Because let's face it, it's ultimately stuff we already know, and I'd rather see new stuff in a SW movie.

Though they do have my permission to base a mini-series on Tales from Jabba's Palace. :P

On another note: The cool thing with Star Wars was that it was mostly one man's vision. Maybe Lucas didn't do a great job with the writing - and this includes Episode IV - but I think people underestimate the soullesness that standard Hollywood mindset can bring.

Honestly I'd much rather have the worst of the prequels than the best of JJ Abrams.