Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Diablo franchise pretty much defunct now?

DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
I have been following the debate on the official forum for some time now and I wonder what you guys think and also what you think about future patches and expansions of the game.

Comments

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I came back for 1.5 patch to try out monster power. I have to say I'm having fun again leveling up a Monk. The biggest issue I had at launch was it was to easy for most of the game. This is not a issue anymore. 

The second issue was item drops and so far this seems to have been fixed. Only time wil tell for I have not played enough to decide on this. My Monk is level 18. 

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I won't be buying any expansions or any Blizzard games for that matter. D3 is a borefest and I simply don't trust them to deliver quality product anymore.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

A game is more than just a name.

The first two games were made by a team of people, that invested something in their enterprise. They were called Blizzard North.

So yeah, I believe the francise is dead and burried, for me it is actually.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    No, if the recent patches and the diablo 2 history is of any resemblance, d3 will just get better and better especially around the time of the 1st expansion. I have very high expectations for the future of this game.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    The game is horrible in multiplayer.   It's like an afterthought.  Gameplay is too slow, deaths too frequent, and players get separated constantly.  Whenever there's elites, everyone just goes crazy and runs around without direction.   Game needs agro management, and to stop being just a dps'fest.
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    D3 = Godfather 3
  • Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I don't know about defunct, but I feel it has taken a serious hit with D3.

It seems as though their main focus was the RMT aspect, and everything else was designed around that rather than gameplay and drops as in the D1/2.  Couple that with the lack of offline play and it was a disaster in the making for the title.

I'm sure it will get better with time as the others did, but you only have one chance to make a first impression and D3 failed to do that for me.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I wouldn't count it out, but D3 has been a massive failure so far.  I still like it as is, but it has not even come close to the expectations I had before launch.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Diablo 3 hurted dungeons crawling games alot.
    Blizzard worked a DECADE on Diablo 3 and look what a failure it is.
    Its a real time auction house scooping for gear....
    Game is so short that i realy feel sorry Blizzard and their dev team who created 10 hours of contend in 10 years of programming + not even all features included at launch.

So yeah iam done with it :(

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    I don't think so.  They've been making some good changes in my opinion.  They still have a ways to go to get it in a state like D2 was though.  They need better items and the addition of runes, runewords and charms in my opinion.  It's too bad so much time has to be devoted to putting the game in a condition it should have veeb at release.  I think a well done expansion with several interesting new classes could breath new life into the game.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,380
    They pretty much took a boat ride with Dexter as far as I'm concerned.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think D4 and any D3 expansions will sell a lot less than what D3 did.

Many people assumed that Blizzard made the first 2 games even though it was Blizzard North and thought D3 would be D2 with better graphics. Even more people probably didnt even play D1 & 2 but got hyped because others thought great of it.

D3 is not really a bad game even if some things are annoying like the online singleplayermode, but it isnt nearly as good as most people assumed it would be before launch. I dont even know anyone still playing it. Therefore I think it have permanently dropped the hype of the IP.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Lets not get into this Blizzard North crap, Blizzard North or what ever they were known at before Blizard took them under their wing approched blizzard with a claymation turn based isometric dungeon game - that is not what we got with D1 and 2.  Not to say Blizzard North were no good just that the Diablo 1 & 2 we know today only came about because of Blizzards involvement.

I got over 100 hours game time out of D3 - thats worth $50 of any ones, I'll come back when they finanly add PvP (come on blizz stop dragging ya feet).

• For the 1,000,000th time YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE THE REAL MONEY AUCTION HOUSE. image
    • D1 & 2 were not official moddable, mods that appeared were just hacked game files, there were no modding tools and blizzard never sanctioned modding though they let it happen.
    • Complaining about having to be online to play is laughable when you're doing it on an MMO forum.

There... spoken like a true blizz fan boy.

Now is D3 defunct, no ofc not.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I don't think so.  They've been making some good changes in my opinion.  They still have a ways to go to get it in a state like D2 was though.  They need better items and the addition of runes, runewords and charms in my opinion.  It's too bad so much time has to be devoted to putting the game in a condition it should have veeb at release.  I think a well done expansion with several interesting new classes could breath new life into the game.

I really would HATE it if they brought charms back. That was a horrible mechanic. Trading off your inventory in exchange for stats is just ridiculous. I still remember in D2 I sometimes would not even carry a tome of TP just so I can squeeze in yet another skill charm. Blizzard got this right with D3. Trading inventory space for stats is WRONG. 

@OP, D3 is doing great. Game's great. D2 wasn't very long either.

The RMT argument is stupid. I don't know/haven't met a single person who has used it to buy stuff. Why? Because there is 0 need to. And after they buffed the drops and nerfed Inferno there is 0 incentive to pay real money for gear.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    After the monster power patch (1.0.5) its actually kinda fun now.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BTrayaL

A game is more than just a name.

The first two games were made by a team of people, that invested something in their enterprise. They were called Blizzard North.

So yeah, I believe the francise is dead and burried, for me it is actually.

Blizzard North is like the old Bioware team, pre-2006/2007.  I miss those times.

You make me like charity

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Noone prevents the reinvigoration of the IP. It happened already (games like Fallout and X-com), although it's kind of rare. Most of the times, the fresh developers fail to capture the feeling of the games of old.

In the case of Diablo III, the game was doomed from the start, simply because it was used not as an invigoration of the Diablos of old, but as a test plaftorm for the RL auction house.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

Hmm... seems like this thread died off pretty quickly.

Will you buy the expansion to Diablo III?

I think that I read on some website that there will be at least two expansions, one each year or so.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Blizzard has always been good with bringing out consistent content with their games. I play the game from time to time. My only real problems with the game are it is too short and party size is too small. But hopefully an expansion will improve upon this. 

I think a lot of people are drama queens for this game just because it's a Blizzard game. People were the same way when Diablo 2 came out. 

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Yes, I'm gonna buy the expansion as well. I'm a casual player, but I'm still getting upgrades every now and then :-)

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got the game played it for a month, then I was done.  I will say this if they came out with a diablo 4 I would not buy it.  I just found the game too repetitive, and the same old dungeon design time after time.  It was like kill loot sell, over and over.  I really don't understand having the real market place  I never used it but some folks did.   I just felt the entire game was based of greed from Blizzard.   So long story short if they really did have a franchise with Diablo, they killed it. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah they jumped the shark with the rmah and how they let it change the design of the game for the worse.

More likely to buy Torchlight 3 than diablo 4
  • HedakeHedake Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Yes, its too bad too, I had high hopes for that game.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    The game is horrible in multiplayer.   It's like an afterthought.  Gameplay is too slow, deaths too frequent, and players get separated constantly.  Whenever there's elites, everyone just goes crazy and runs around without direction.   Game needs agro management, and to stop being just a dps'fest.

o.O agro..why? ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by scotty899
    Originally posted by adam_nox

o.O agro..why? ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Because the other wow functionality works so well, like gear and enrage timers....

If something, the mobs are already to "clever" regarding aggro for a arpg, rangeds pull constantly from meelee chars, regardless of the amount of damage done.

Flame on!

:)