Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] City of Heroes: Farewell to CoH

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the days of City of Heroes come to a close, we took the opportunity to revisit the game one last time during Wayback Wednesday. Take a nostalgic look at CoH with our Wayback leader, Rob Lashley, then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I'd be a phony if I told you that I played City of Heroes on a regular basis. The truth is I did not; however, it is a MMO that I very much respected and appreciated for what it was.  Who has not ever wanted to be a superhero as a kid?  City of Heroes made that dream a virtual reality for many people over the past 8 years.  Maybe you dreamed of being Magneto to someone else's Professor X instead? They had you covered there also.  With City of Villains it was just as viable to be a bad guy as it was to be a good one. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's City of Heroes: Wayback Wednesday Visits One Last Time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Yep, was a great game, awesome party and group play

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    never played it, but it's sad to see a game, loved by so many players dying...:(

• Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233

I loved CoH/CoV for many years. I didn't play it solidly but I went back to it many, many times up untill Champions Online came out. It was around that time that I burned out on the superhero MMO thing. What shocks me is that CoH went F2P. I can't imagine why anyone would want to shut it down if its F2P, they should just cut back on the constant updates if the game isn't pulling in the money they want. I don't know I never played CoH after it went F2P but it sounds like the cash store wasn't being used much.

The only other thing I can think of that would cause them to want to shut down would be upcoming liscensed superhero MMOs. I believe marvel is coming out with one, and DC just launched. Also cryptic has their F2P Champions which is now under PWI's management and they're considered "masters" of F2P. Who knows mabey NCsoft just got scared and figured it'd be easier to just cut their losses. Well for all those losing their jobs at paragon studios my heart goes out to you and I hope they find new work at other studios as quickly as possible. Afterall CoH was great, so the team should be able to find work in another place.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Sad to see CoH close :( , gonna miss the last game with a CC archetype , Controller ftw!

hope Eqnext bring the old enchanter back :(

• UsingerUsinger Member UncommonPosts: 26

Had the best "guild experiance" with the old gang from "Heroes are Us"...

The game was a blast...sorry to see it go....

• darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    i might be able to see the future, maybe gamersfirst or some other company will take city of heroes from them and turn it back on.

• AestavalisAestavalis Member UncommonPosts: 2

Had a great time... especially when we had super vs villain group fights in each other's bases... or in any of the PvP zones.

Also enjoyed the Rikti mothership raids.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320

It is/was a great game. What happened to it by NCSoft will likely keep me away from playing more MMOs in the future. Some game company just cannot be trusted. You spend countless hours playing a game and getting emotionally attached to it and the people you meet there and suddenly, it's gone.

It's a virtual ghost city now as players finished their goals and moved on. Only a few still play as they finish their business and fly around for old time's sake. It is a unique game and deserved to be saved. And if it can't be saved, it should be remade.

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    i might be able to see the future, maybe gamersfirst or some other company will take city of heroes from them and turn it back on.

Only if you can keep your characters and account. I don't want to start again from the ground up.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

I am very saddened by this to say the least....

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    along with Shadowbane, Coh was the best grouping game
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

CoX was definitely on my top 5 MMORPG list, despite me not ever playing it much. It got me to resubscribe a few times though, more than I can say for almost all of the MMORPG's I've tried, which have been almost all of them ever released for P2P. 

It had some of the best character progression and customization systems. Not only in making your character look unique, but by being able custom build your characters powerset.  On top of that, it was an awesome group game. Group combat was a lot of fun. The community was one of the best I've ever witnessed, and proves false the claim by new MMORPG gamers that "that's just how the community is these days" when speaking about how rude and anti-social todays MMORPG gamers are. 

I remember all the RPing, the costume contests, and the constant grouping. CoX will be well missed.

/cheers

• bobbymobobbymo Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Originally posted by Arakane

I am very saddened by this to say the least....

I agree. It always sucks to see a game shut down, especially a quality one like this.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Skuall

Sad to see CoH close :( , gonna miss the last game with a CC archetype , Controller ftw!

^

Actuallly, only one of a list of pretty innovative selling points.  If only more games had been copying some of these systems, rather than making yet another WoW clone.

It also marks the demise of solid character customization from the mainstream market. 

Enjoy your "choice of four haircuts" replacements.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I normally do a lot of soloing in mmo's. But COH really made me turn to groups and guess what it was a great experience. Even PUG seem to fit together seemlessly and if you found the right group it was bliss. the problem with coh is everything looked the same and the crafting was kind of poor especially the first few years. they had a resurgence of sorts when they came out with the villains ex pac but alas it was short lived.  Coh is dead, Coh is dead, LONG LIVE COH