Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"GW2 is in a tail spin" and "Huge success"

GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

I logged in and saw these two threads next to eachother..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

let's make a thread about a thread thats about a thread.

was a good idea in someone's mind.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Toxia

let's make a thread about a thread thats about a thread.

was a good idea in someone's mind.

Yeah it was just in good fun.. I don't really care about the results. Please don't tear me a new one:( I haven't slept in two days and I'm starting to see things hehe

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    well i give this thread the thumbs up.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I think this game is a huge success.  Especially when you consider it is buy to play and for the box price you get so much content.  I have not spent a single dime on this game since I bought it and have put in some serious hours, so the cost to fun value ratio is maxed.

Yes, yes, the game is lacking in some areas, notably the social and rp aspects.  These are areas for improvement and maybe expansions.  And if they put something in the cash store I wanted I would buy it.  But right now the coin system linked with armor appearance does not encourage me to buy it until I am done leveling to max...and sometimes when you hit max I hit a wall of boredom and log off.  So yeah, appearance tabs for the win and I'd buy costumes galore, 'cause yeah,  I'm an appearance whore.  (rhyme)

Anyway, pve got boring so started pvp.  The Halloween pvp events are foogin fun, lol.  Love em.  And WvW is a blast, when I'm not getting rolled.  Great way to make mad xp, cash and karma.  But what do I spend it on...they need to add more cool stuff for me to buy.

My one attempt at raiding was like, wtf, because we all died like 50 times.  Wasn't fun at all.  I was ready for fun and but we all got the beat down and running back to our corpses over and over and over and over and over was frustratingly monotonous, especially when I run so slow eh.

Closing in on level 80.  Almost dinged 75 last night in WvW.  Great game, love it.  Could use improvements.  Looking forward to expansions and any cool stuff they throw our way.  I think this is the first success story the genre has had in awhile, but I'm still looking forward to Archage or the Repopulation. 

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Terranah

I think this game is a huge success.  Especially when you consider it is buy to play and for the box price you get so much content.  I have not spent a single dime on this game since I bought it and have put in some serious hours, so the cost to fun value ratio is maxed.

Yes, yes, the game is lacking in some areas, notably the social and rp aspects.  These are areas for improvement and maybe expansions.  And if they put something in the cash store I wanted I would buy it.  But right now the coin system linked with armor appearance does not encourage me to buy it until I am done leveling to max...and sometimes when you hit max I hit a wall of boredom and log off.  So yeah, appearance tabs for the win and I'd buy costumes galore, 'cause yeah,  I'm an appearance whore.  (rhyme)

Anyway, pve got boring so started pvp.  The Halloween pvp events are foogin fun, lol.  Love em.  And WvW is a blast, when I'm not getting rolled.  Great way to make mad xp, cash and karma.  But what do I spend it on...they need to add more cool stuff for me to buy.

My one attempt at raiding was like, wtf, because we all died like 50 times.  Wasn't fun at all.  I was ready for fun and but we all got the beat down and running back to our corpses over and over and over and over and over was frustratingly monotonous, especially when I run so slow eh.

Closing in on level 80.  Almost dinged 75 last night in WvW.  Great game, love it.  Could use improvements.  Looking forward to expansions and any cool stuff they throw our way.  I think this is the first success story the genre has had in awhile, but I'm still looking forward to Archage or the Repopulation. 

Wow you are spot on to what I think.  I'm looking forward to more social aspects and I can't wait for Archage and the repopulation.  I'm only level 45 on my main so I still have a lot to find out about this game.  I bounce back and forth between this game and my Bloodmage in Vanguard.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    The fact that we can have one thread claiming that GW2 is a huge success and one claiming that it's essentially spiraling into failure right next to each other, and both seem equally "credible," should say something...

That freedom of speech is in a huge, successful tailspin!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Creslin321

That freedom of speech is in a huge, successful tailspin!

LOL!!

What the OP is probaly refering to are 2 different issues though.

1st Thread is talking about how successful the game is (both gameplay wise, and financially)

2nd Thread is talking about how serious the hacking problem has gotten.

Both are most definitely valid. You can have a successful game that is being bombarded (and ruined) by hackers. That's essentially what's happening with GW2 atm. At least when you look at WvW. The rest of the game is more or less fine, as far as i can tell, but WvW has some serious issues right now. Since WvW is a huge deal to a lot of people, for some of them, that's the whole reason they play right now.

..and this is why we can't have nice things.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

Those that have completed all there is to complete: "It's in a tailspin!"

Those that have yet to hit the brick wall: "It's a success!"

Technically, the server loads really speak for themselves...the game is still doing well. However, the tailspin has begun. Therefor, I chose "Both."

I'm no longer playing personally.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Definitely a huge success. There is no credible source saying otherwise. 
    Oh, there are plenty of credible sources. However, separating them from the non-credible is impossible.
  • spastic86spastic86 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by wordiz

Those that have completed all there is to complete: "It's in a tailspin!"

Those that have yet to hit the brick wall: "It's a success!"

Technically, the server loads really speak for themselves...the game is still doing well. However, the tailspin has begun. Therefor, I chose "Both."

I'm no longer playing personally.

^

Oh, there are plenty of credible sources. However, separating them from the non-credible is impossible.

Which sources do you claim to be credible? 

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Huge success. Why? Because the number of western themepark MMOGs that show full servers and a very heavy populations more than one month after launch in the post WoW era can be counted on one hand. Rift and LotRO are the only ones I can think of and neither had a very large population at any one time or have lost significant numbers over the years.Just about every other western themepark MMOG has begun to die off within the first month.

This trend has not continued with GW2 The game is now more than two months old and still going strong. One could suggest that the game is only doing well because there isn't a monthly fee, but that is hypothetical at best and thus there is no merit in the argument. The simple fact is, the game is two months old and instead of seeing major population loss, hints are mergering servers as with almost every single post-WoW western themepark MMOG, we are seeing the exact opposite.

There unfortunately aren't recent population numbers, but there are some good indicators. For example, last week the game was the #3 top seller in the UK, taking Pandaria's spot, while that game moved down to #6.

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110022

Likewise the game is still on the top 20 PC game sales list in Amazon at #9 and 12 (digital). If you discount sales, it's even higher.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

I know, the trolls hate this game, with a passion. But they are wrong on this one.

It's not a matter of trolling. Bottom line, anyone that thinks this game has longevity isn't done leveling yet.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Fion

Huge success. Why? Because the number of western themepark MMOGs that show full servers and a very heavy populations more than one month after launch in the post WoW era can be counted on one hand. Rift and LotRO are the only ones I can think of and neither had a very large population at any one time. Just about every other western themepark MMOG has begun to die off within the first month. GW2 on the otherhand is now more than two months old and still going strong.

Now, one could suggest that the game is only doing well because there isn't a monthly fee, but that is hypothetical at best and thus there is no merit in the argument. The simple fact is, the game is two months old and instead of seeing major population loss, hints are mergering servers, we are seeing the exact opposite.

I know, the trolls hate this game, with a passion. But they are wrong on this one.

The problem with Rift is they went through a huge server merger. I played the game for 1.25 yrs and then realized the 'WoW treadmill' present and left for other pastures.

They will do the same with Archage, and all the other games that are having big hype now and they are doing the same thing - namely repeating the hype like it is fact. When they get burned again and they will, they rage hate against the game. That is the cycle currently.

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Myself and the other 1500+ former members of the Titan Alliance.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Myself, and the other 1500+ former members of the Titan Alliance.

Well that explains the x-fire numbers

1500 members is a drop in the bucket compared to the 2+ millions total purchases of this game. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Myself and the other 1500+ former members of the Titan Alliance.

There are other alliances growing - we started at the beginning of the game at 50 and now over 200 and we are very picky and conservative in the people we let into our guild.

1500 members is a drop in the bucket compared to the 2+ millions total purchases of this game. 

1500 members that went 30-0 in WvW, leveled to max level, fully geared, saw all endgame content...and promptly left. Some of us stuck around, like Synapse with their world first legendary, and myself to get 100% world map completion and completion of all jumping puzzles in the game. We ran out of stuff to do. The only thing left was WvW, and that wasn't even enough.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Definitely a huge success. There is no credible source saying otherwise. 

Forgive me for being skeptical, but what credible source is citing 'huge' success? I don't doubt it's profitability, but I don't get how everyone wants to overblow how well the game is doing. Another poster claims he knows 1500 people personally that have stopped playing entirely, and your response was, 'Drop in the bucket, still millions playing!'.

But how do you know? Do you have access to numbers we don't? Because if not, then you're really just making things up, and that puts everything you say into question.

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Well that explains the x-fire numbers

We all used mumble and teamspeak for the most part.

1500 members that went 30-0 in WvW, leveled to max level, fully geared, saw all endgame content...and promptly left. Some of us stuck around, like Synapse with their world first legendary, and myself to get 100% world map completion and completion of all jumping puzzles in the game. We ran out of stuff to do. The only thing left was WvW, and that wasn't even enough.

You played the game wrongly which is the reason for why you got burnt out so quickly. Max-min gamestyle was not the intent of Arenanet. The casual player is the main target and the retention of them, in the sense of how much they spend on the item mall and whether or not they buy expansions, is what is deciding how successful this game is. 

You played the game wrongly which is the reason for why you got burnt out so quickly. Max-min gamestyle was not the intent of Arenanet. The casual player is the main target and the retention of them, in the sense of how much they spend on the item mall and whether or not they buy expansions, is what is deciding how successful this game is. 

So have fun with your pointless casual game. Whatever happened to it being an "e-sport?"