Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: The Control Wizard

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

I hate how I can't even tell what a game means when it claims to be an MMO anymore... the new Marvel game coming out I've heard that it both is, and isn't, an MMO.

Is this game an MMO? A real MMO, not like, World of Tanks or SWTOR, but an actual MMO?

When Perfect World took over Cryptic they delayed the game and went from DDO-style approach to a proper MMO.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Vesavius

So far this is looking a lot less appealling than TES to me... and that isn't actually sweeping me away either right now.

The more of 'the future' I see the more I need FFXIV to actually work out tbh :/

you mean regarding all the great gameply weve seen from teso so far?

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    While I hate the D&D 4.0 system compared to any of the previous D&D editions, I will keep my eye on this one and try to hold out some hope.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

I don't care what rule, it's looking very good indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

Thank you for the link, that was actually a pretty good video.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

What has happened to the old D&D names? Ok so some fruitcake at Wizards of the Coast came up with it, does not make the name any better.  Until I see how they are going to monitize this game I will relegate to the typical PW game and to avoid at all costs.

There are some casters in DAoC that have more control in their pinky finger.

You need to stop living in the past, times change.

• shantidevashantideva Member UncommonPosts: 186
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Control Wizard?  Geez get someone with at least a little bit of imagination on your staff.  What a terrible name.  Is this an example of what the entire game is going to be about?  The more I read about this game the less I like.  

What on earth are you going on about? The control wizard is a build option from the D&D 4.0 rulebook. The 'staff' have no control over the names given to classes because it's D&D and Wizards of the Coast that control that.

What has happened to the old D&D names? Ok so some fruitcake at Wizards of the Coast came up with it, does not make the name any better.  Until I see how they are going to monitize this game I will relegate to the typical PW game and to avoid at all costs.

There are some casters in DAoC that have more control in their pinky finger.

Agree with you Oz, WotC are to D&D what Disney will be to SW..(yes George is a pusbag but 2 wrongs don't make 1 right)

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night, all day!"

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Can't wait for this to come out. I've been waiting and waiting for a 4th edition based game. The more I play Pathfinder the more I wish I was playing 4th ed pnp. I used to play 3.5 a lot but dropped it for 4th in a heartbeat, but my current friends only play Pathfinder :(
  • k44mosk44mos Member Posts: 22

I don't get why you are so upset with the devs at this particular moment in time.

From what I was able to see in the vids so far, the combat will be fairly decent. Let's hope we get a decent gear system and it will be peachy.

As I have given a chance to all the greedy sobs (yes EA, I'm looking at you), I'm giving a chance to this one too and, tbh, I can't wait for it to hit beta.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    looks pretty good... any news on the beta? I pre-ordered TL2 pretty much just to get into NW beta but no word yet...

Glad i pre-ordered Torchlight 2, it gave me a beta key to Neverwinter.

Anyway Beta could start the end of Fall

did you actually get a key? i just got a notice saying beta was coming soon but that was over a month ago

I got a key for neverwinter with TL2. You need to contact PW support if you didn't get yours. Lots of people didn't get them by mistake.

i did they told me i would get a key closer to beta.. hmm ill try again

Even after applying the key you still have to wait for an invite.. and when you get invited isn't guaranteed anyway. The key doesn't mean you will get invited at the start of closed beta, just that you will get in the closed beta eventually (could be 2 days before closed ends, who knows?). It was a bit of a ripoff deal really.

No, the key gets you in, but only once it starts.

You should have read the fine print. I stand by what I said.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    looks pretty good... any news on the beta? I pre-ordered TL2 pretty much just to get into NW beta but no word yet...

Glad i pre-ordered Torchlight 2, it gave me a beta key to Neverwinter.

Anyway Beta could start the end of Fall

did you actually get a key? i just got a notice saying beta was coming soon but that was over a month ago

Yes i entered it into the site and status is accepted, the beta sign changed to download  but you can't because it's greyed out.

http://nw.perfectworld.com/download

i just got an email back from them

Hello 

Your Neverwinter closed beta key will be sent out to your account's registered email address closer to Neverwinter's closed beta date, which is currently scheduled sometime early 2013. Please keep an eye on Neverwinter's news blog, linked below:

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Many of you need to get your head on straight.  Number one, this game is being made by Cryptic to start with, name me one game they have made that is decent, oops, right, not one.  Secondly Cryptic is owned by PW which loves item shops where you have to gamble for powerups(ie, basically a game of chance).  Thirdly, this game with be f2p, hence an active item shop.  

Getting your hopes up for this game is not a good idea.  Better to be pleasently surprised if they actually make a playable game, than thinking this will be the next best thing.   Personally, I think there are a lot better games coming down the pike than this one.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Idk about the "instructor" voice: Sounds like doing an earthquake drill? Aside from that minor impression, game looks fairly playable.
  • AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Hmm... look's like playing wizard in party will be really borring - left mouse button and afk.
  • b003b003 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Looks better than I thought.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    An area attack that punches icicles from the ground up and they call it Ice Storm?  Gotta say, that's the first time I've ever seen the term storm applied to something that has no atmospheric origin.  I also agree with Ozmodan, the nomenclature for the classes sound childish at best.

• an0maly33an0maly33 Member Posts: 42

Many of you need to get your head on straight.  Number one, this game is being made by Cryptic to start with, name me one game they have made that is decent, oops, right, not one.  Secondly Cryptic is owned by PW which loves item shops where you have to gamble for powerups(ie, basically a game of chance).  Thirdly, this game with be f2p, hence an active item shop.  

Getting your hopes up for this game is not a good idea.  Better to be pleasently surprised if they actually make a playable game, than thinking this will be the next best thing.   Personally, I think there are a lot better games coming down the pike than this one.

Actually, I'm one of the guys that actually likes STO.  I also have dabbled in Champions and don't really see a big problem with it.  Maybe they didn't live up to expectations at launch, but as for STO, it's actually an enjoyable game.  The cash shop isn't pay to win at all.  There's nothing in there that's game breaking.  The only thing that they do that could be considered a money sink is selling keys to open "mystery box" loot drops.  But, for being F2P I don't think that's outside the realm of acceptable.  From my perspective, it's you who needs to get your head on straight.  From my perspective Cryptic games aren't the garbage trolls make them out to be and PW didn't ruin anything when they bought Cryptic.  If anything, they gave them the cash for dev time they needed to start getting things right.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

As suspected this game looks like a piece of crap in fine wrapping.

Much like the last "class" video this looks like garbage. Looks like a console crossover mulitplayer rpg and not like an MMO.

"Control Wizard" in D&D terms is ridiculous if it is a fixed class. Part of the charm of a wizard is that you could customize the playstyle as you wanted. If you wanted to be a "control" wizard you simply picked spells suitable for that purpose.

Neverwinter is looking more and more like garbage and I see less and less reason to even try it out.

I've been playing D&D pen and paper since the late 80s, and also Dungeons & Dragons Online for quite some time just to give some background to my judgement of this game.

To me, this game embodies much of what is wrong with the MMO genre the last 8 years.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    An area attack that punches icicles from the ground up and they call it Ice Storm?  Gotta say, that's the first time I've ever seen the term storm applied to something that has no atmospheric origin.  I also agree with Ozmodan, the nomenclature for the classes sound childish at best.

Are you beinig a bit nitpicky cranky?  Early D&D and AD&D had really simplistic class names as well.  Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Ranger, Druid.  They made fluffier names for later editions.  Were you looking for fluffy?  How is Control Wizard childish?  A bit mundane possibly, but childish?  It's not like you proably can't make up your own name for your style.  I did that for my RIFT builds.

Are you trying to be funny? While the class names in old AD&D may sound simplistic they carry a lot more versatility then what this game is showing.

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246

Anyone got any insider tips on how many classes there's going to be and what they are yet?

There's at least one cleric class (as indicated by the pokket interview) other than that the slate appears blank.  

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Aranisus
    Hmm... look's like playing wizard in party will be really borring - left mouse button and afk.

Nah no matter what the class it'll be a very mobile game. Ala GW2 if you stand still for too long and don't use your dodge or utility skills you get minced. Other than that, yes, it may just well be. 

• dukemagusdukemagus Member UncommonPosts: 9

simple and straight to the point. it is something pretty intresting to see every now and then

way better than something like "disciple of the metaspace arcanism" or something like that

• dukemagusdukemagus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Control Wizard?  Geez get someone with at least a little bit of imagination on your staff.  What a terrible name.  Is this an example of what the entire game is going to be about?  The more I read about this game the less I like.  

simple and straight to the point. it is something pretty intresting to see every now and then

way better than something like "disciple of the metaspace arcanism" or something like that

Are you beinig a bit nitpicky cranky?  Early D&D and AD&D had really simplistic class names as well.  Fighter, Cleric, Thief, Ranger, Druid.  They made fluffier names for later editions.  Were you looking for fluffy?  How is Control Wizard childish?  A bit mundane possibly, but childish?  It's not like you proably can't make up your own name for your style.  I did that for my RIFT builds.

Did I push one of your buttons?  You don't think it's childish, I do.  I never attack people for their opinions, but only if they are lying about the facts.  What is with the fluffy attack and I certainly didn't come off as cranky, but whatever.  At least games like EQ and GW2 had the decency to give their control classes interesting names like Enchanter and Mesmer.

Did I push one of your buttons?  You don't think it's childish, I do.  I never attack people for their opinions, but only if they are lying about the facts.  What is with the fluffy attack and I certainly didn't come off as cranky, but whatever.  At least games like EQ and GW2 had the decency to give their control classes interesting names like Enchanter and Mesmer.

So how is the control wizard childish?  Like I said a bit mundane, but how is it childish?  Both your and that blue text posters opinions sound overly critical in a nitpicky fashion and, yes, the tone of your post does sound cranky.  GW, EQ, and EQ2 having interesting or exotic names has nothing to do with the D&D name being childish.  So are you going to answer any of my earlier questions or just be put out?

If my tone seems cranky, then yours sounds outright angry.  Like I said, I must have pushed one of your many hot buttons.