Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR and GW2 Im Returning To SWTOR

Well I level my Norn Warrior to 68 so far im real casual? I stop playing GW2 becouse my Guild all of the sudden stop playing and im also bored and dont want to level my Toon again and go to all those vistas skill points etc, I want to come to Star Wars The Old Republic Becouse I want a Sense Of Community and also Gameplay and Storyline plus Star Wars is Star Wars so im Excited to come back specially when it goes free to play, and since im starting fresh by that time I reach cap level it will be free to play, what you guys say? is it worth coming back to Star Wars The Old Republic? im looking for Fun.

Comments

• diogocarmodiogocarmo Member UncommonPosts: 6

I've played swtor since day 1, and even with it's shortcomings i still love the game...i left because all my guildies went to play GW2 but that game in terms of character progression is so underwhelming that i haven't log on in a long time, and i don't really plan to any time soon. So in the meantime i've returned to the old republic and found that almost all those major concerns that "wow players" had ( i was a wow player but didn't had any problem) like the group finder and stuff, because i played wow for almost 7 years and i still remember a time where i didn't need a group finder(there wasn't one:P)...and although i like the group finder a lot, i didn't really needed it to have fun in wow, same goes for swtor.

There is a lot of content on the old republic so mainly if you have fun with it go on in m8 and enjoy:), nothing worse than playing  a game simply for playing and not for the fun part of it...

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

If you plan of playing for free dont bother, 1-50 leveling is "free" everything else you have to spit moneys. Even QUICKBARS cost money rofl. Its an extended free trial. Pardon, extended but MUCH worse than free trial.

Sense of community? In SWTOR?

But yah, play what you like, nobody can really tell you if you will like it or not, but be very careful about putting "free" or "community" next to SWTOR name, as game has neither.

Originally posted by mikahr

If you plan of playing for free dont bother, 1-50 leveling is "free" everything else you have to spit moneys. Its an extended free trial.

True to some extent , but that "everything else" a bit an overreach no? I can't remember a f2p game with quality that you don't have to spend money on it. Even DC which i think is a great f2p game, you have to pay to play the content(yes i know you pay once for the expansion and thats that, but still if you think you will ever play a f2p game and won't spend money on it then your dreaming),and i really like the freedom if i can't play it the whole month i can just pay a weekly operation pass so i can better time my playing schedule

Remember the phrase, "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

I've played SWTOR from day -5 till around May 2012. Got fed up of loading screens, repetitive warzones and no open world PVP. I played GW2 for month or two, but got kind of bored and tried SWTOR for 1 month.

After I finished my Jedi knight story in a couple of hours, i just couldn't force my self to log in again.

My point being: SWTOR feels ancient comparing to GW2. Static world, loading screens, skill bars full of spells you rarely use etc. I have fond memories of playing it, but when I think about it, those memories are related to people I've played with, not the game itself.

There is a good reason why it's going F2P. Save your money and wait for it.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

If you plan to play it super casual, f2p will be fine.  Anything outside of that, I would sub.  The storys are better in TOR, no doubt, but to each their own. 

If you are unsure, just do f2p for a bit.

Originally posted by diogocarmo

If you plan of playing for free dont bother, 1-50 leveling is "free" everything else you have to spit moneys. Its an extended free trial.

True to some extent , but that "everything else" a bit an overreach no? I can't remember a f2p game with quality that you don't have to spend money on it. Even DC which i think is a great f2p game, you have to pay to play the content(yes i know you pay once for the expansion and thats that, but still if you think you will ever play a f2p game and won't spend money on it then your dreaming),and i really like the freedom if i can't play it the whole month i can just pay a weekly operation pass so i can better time my playing schedule

Remember the phrase, "there is no such thing as a free lunch"

You dont have to pay a dime for both of Turbines games. Its a lot of grind, but its DOABLE. In AIon you dont have to pay. L2 you dont have to pay.

Obviously you havent done your homework.

Obviously "F2P" and "have to spend money for" dont really match.

Not to mention EA is taking pharse "nicle and dime" to a whole new dimension lol.

Aion?L2?Turbine games? When i said quality i meant quality games...aion is a grind fest and turbine games well like i said quality games...and doable??I don't think you spent alot of time playing those games to say that...

Has for your "F2P and not spending money" well, again true to some extent but company's have to make money, and we still have to w8 and see how much expensive it will be to purchase the cartel coins but, look at any f2p mmo and you see stuff that if you wanna play alot you have to buy something...even the turbine games, and aion and DC

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I still play and enjoy GW2, I could care less about character progression, the way Bioware handled progression put me off.

The quickbar limit is a retarded joke, they initially only restricted 1 quickbar for F2P players and then decided to allow 2 quickbars, still not suitable for me since I use nearly everything avaiable to my characters, I have 42-44 keybinds to them on all my characters. Most of my guild (of 200-300 members) has moved on and only 2-3 of them still plays SWTOR, rest of us plays GW2, WoT, PS2, etc.

Aion?L2?Turbine games? When i said quality i meant quality games...aion is a grind fest and turbine games well like i said quality games...and doable??I don't think you spent alot of time playing those games to say that...

Has for your "F2P and not spending money" well, again true to some extent but company's have to make money, and we still have to w8 and see how much expensive it will be to purchase the cartel coins but, look at any f2p mmo and you see stuff that if you wanna play alot you have to buy something...even the turbine games, and aion and DC

Really, dont insult games just because your theory got shot down. Those game aint quality...but SWTOR is? Hmmm, you see, those games are better quality than SWTOR.

SWTOR would really like to do as good as Aion for example, or LOTRO.

I played all of those games for prolonged periods of time, OTOH, you have no clue how they work because you wouldnt make kinda statements you make.

And for the record, its not "F2P and not spending money" but "F2P and HAVE TO spend money" which isnt true for AAA games i mentioned.

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon
    Well I level my Norn Warrior to 68 so far im real casual? I stop playing GW2 becouse my Guild all of the sudden stop playing and im also bored and dont want to level my Toon again and go to all those vistas skill points etc, I want to come to Star Wars The Old Republic Becouse I want a Sense Of Community and also Gameplay and Storyline plus Star Wars is Star Wars so im Excited to come back specially when it goes free to play, and since im starting fresh by that time I reach cap level it will be free to play, what you guys say? is it worth coming back to Star Wars The Old Republic? im looking for Fun.

Since the server merges are finished and the High Population Server Technology was rolled out, the sense of community is very real and present.  I play on an open PvP server, Prophecy of the Five, I get into fights with Republic Players every time I play.  The game is what you make of it, they have options to level solo if you choose too, But they also have options to level with friends if you choose too.  There are Heroic areas to find in every zone, when you discover some of them you automatically get an Area Quest to fight in that heroic area, very cool stuff to do with friends.  I was exploring Hoth two nights ago, and stumbled onto a raid of players killing the Raid Boss in that zone (SnowBlind).  I watched for a minute and was a very cool fight but I went back to exploring.  I highly recommend giving ToR a try, its a lot of Fun and an action packed game. 

Originally posted by Bynt

Since the server merges are finished and the High Population Server Technology was rolled out, the sense of community is very real and present.  I play on an open PvP server, Prophecy of the Five, I get into fights with Republic Players every time I play.  The game is what you make of it, they have options to level solo if you choose too, But they also have options to level with friends if you choose too.  There are Heroic areas to find in every zone, when you discover some of them you automatically get an Area Quest to fight in that heroic area, very cool stuff to do with friends.  I was exploring Hoth two nights ago, and stumbled onto a raid of players killing the Raid Boss in that zone (SnowBlind).  I watched for a minute and was a very cool fight but I went back to exploring.  I highly recommend giving ToR a try, its a lot of Fun and an action packed game. 

Any proof of that "high population server technology"? It seems to me its pretty much regular servers, but that game has shrunk so much to not require more than few servers.

SWTOR doesnt have a community. Having people around =/ community.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Bynt

Any proof of that "high population server technology"? It seems to me its pretty much regular servers, but that game has shrunk so much to not require more than few servers.

SWTOR doesnt have a community. Having people around =/ community.

There's more than enough on most servers, since the server merges and as the guy wrote above the new "technology" at any given time on the day or night I see people everywhere.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Half_Man_Half_Toon

You have some taste imo. SWTOR > GW2 [mod edit]

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Hanve fun and enjoy your stay in a WoW clone with crappier endgame.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

If you plan of playing for free dont bother, 1-50 leveling is "free" everything else you have to spit moneys. Even QUICKBARS cost money rofl. Its an extended free trial. Pardon, extended but MUCH worse than free trial.

But yah, play what you like, nobody can really tell you if you will like it or not, but be very careful about putting "free" or "community" next to SWTOR name, as game has neither.

image image

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

I would rather just pay the sub and play the full version. I wanted to play GW2 for a few months to be fair in my criticism, I now have played a warrior and ranger to 80 and a few others into the 50's 60's.

I like the music, the art style is great, the UI is fine by me and some of the stories are real solid. The touted WVWVW is garbage, SWTOR lemented over faction pvp never able to get it right, hell all they would have had to do by these standards is have seige droids bang on gates while everyone else AOEs from the wall.

I like the quests queing up by proximity,  I like this as a new standard instead of the hub system. Endgame is no different than any other themepark, no different at all.

SWTOR has so much more content it's almost laughable, the real difference is the type of people playing the two, Freegamers are all about cheesey insulst and wow clone bla bla bla, mmorpg fans are more about immersion and quality.

I would rather pay a sub than pretend the hacks, cheats, bots and largely ignored lack of endgame dont bother me.

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

I actually persuaded myself GW2's stories were good, then I came back to SW:TOR.  Wow, I actually want to level, I want to progress, I want to go on that journey with my companions across the galaxy.  It feels like I'm playing a proper RPG, and if I want to the MMO aspect is there.  Warzones are fun in moderation, and I did a raid yesterday on my 'main' from launch and it was really fun as well.

SW:TOR provides me with a fun RPG with an MMO endgame and at the end of the day that is exactly what I want.  What's the point of GW2's well designed world if the lore and story are so miserable and boring?   I have no motivation or care about the universe.

But TOR, from the cantinas and underworld of Nar Shaddaa, to the wild-west feel of Tattooine, from the dark jungles of Dromund Kaas to the fetid swamps of Hutta, has atmosphere and lore and story.    #

And Huttball is still pretty fun. 

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

@OP

good decision.

SWTOR has a greater longterm value anyway.

Really, dont insult games just because your theory got shot down. Those game aint quality...but SWTOR is? Hmmm, you see, those games are better quality than SWTOR.

SWTOR would really like to do as good as Aion for example, or LOTRO.

I played all of those games for prolonged periods of time, OTOH, you have no clue how they work because you wouldnt make kinda statements you make.

And for the record, its not "F2P and not spending money" but "F2P and HAVE TO spend money" which isnt true for AAA games i mentioned.

First i didn't insult anyone, i simply stated that FOR ME they have almost no quality when compared to swtor...again FOR ME(Lotro has great story but the means in which is given its very old fashion...), and like you said for you it's different i respect that so you should respect ME

Second i have no theory...this is a business and lotro's income raised by 300% on the shift to f2p...it's a business to make money, the difference is how you approach the customers and if given enough liberty ppl will pay.

Third did you play aion back in the day when there was no more quests and you had to go to for example on heiron about at lvl 30 farm the elites near the guards (near dark poeta entrance)?? did you?? cause if you did you know what i'm talking about true grind fest... leveling doesn't even come close to swtor on that game.

LOTRO pve wise is great, the vistas and all...but it's too old fashioned and severely outdated graphic wise and frankly pay to do quests on a certain zone is awful but nonetheless ppl still pay like i said income rises 300%...

You say i have no clue...but fail to say why and which statements i made...

I've played aion since release, have a lot of 50's and some 55's and i can assure you it's a grind fest...today you have more quests but it's kill this, and kill that(TERA all over again) and don't tell me that L2 isn't grind fest lol

So basically for me games that require me to farm a lot of mobs simply because i have to farm them have no quality...i want to know why i'm killing give me purpose...and sure i know read the quest log, but after swtor I WILL NEVER READ A GOD DAMM QUEST AGAIN!!!EVER!!!!:)

And that "F2P and have to spend money" ...tell me a f2p where you DON'T HAVE TO SPEND MONEY, and plz don't give me answers like "doable with grinding" because if it's grind ppl won't simply do...not anymore not when there are games that require 0 grinding or almost 0 grinding...when you have options, you choose and grinding for the sake of it in MMO's in my opinion is really bad.

...and btw you don't need to be so damm offensive when didn't insult anyone or at least wasn't my intention, i'm simply stating my opinion and since i live in a democracy i will carry that right

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by BigAndShiny

But TOR, from the cantinas and underworld of Nar Shaddaa, to the wild-west feel of Tattooine, from the dark jungles of Dromund Kaas to the fetid swamps of Hutta, has atmosphere and lore and story.    #

If it wasn't for the rail system zones, I would like it even more.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

they just need to make the open world pvp more meaningful because that is what the game is lacking atm. the pve content of the game is already amazing. the pvp well i expected it to be like swg but kinda sucked. they need to keep their promises and start working on it. didn't bioware say they was going to fix illum? whatever happend to the illum project fix?

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by aligada87

they just need to make the open world pvp more meaningful because that is what the game is lacking atm. the pve content of the game is already amazing. the pvp well i expected it to be like swg but kinda sucked. they need to keep their promises and start working on it. didn't bioware say they was going to fix illum? whatever happend to the illum project fix?

btw the f2p model of swtor isn't out yet right?

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

btw the f2p model of swtor isn't out yet right?

Sometime in November, I think.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Tough question .. neither game was a real MMORPG savior, each having significant flaws.

There is a chance that GW2 might implement progression some day, since many people are bored from not having it and ArenaNet might listen. 

There is also a chance that SWTOR might steer themselves away from their WoW-clone model one day, since it is also somewhat boring.

Neither game is extraordinary, currently, but given EA's vs. ArenaNets track record for listening to customer feedback, I would expect changes to GW2 before I really see anything drastically new  in SWTOR.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         For me.. It's not even a close call..   I gave up on SWTOR after my first toon made it to max level..  It felt just as bad as Rift felt.. Both games were on rails so bad, with NO real alternatives to leveling..  CANCELED..  I'm feeling more freedom in GW2 then I ever did with either Rift or TOR.. Real shame considering that GW2 isn't costing me a monthly sub...