Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

It's not that Smedley is not interested in PVP I think, I mean planetside 2 is "PVP" in a way, it's just that EQ was meant to be PVE from the start. If you look at the James Hall (sp?) video of Everquest, Smedley mentions "UO was PVP so we wanted to do PVE".  

Anyone thinking EQNext is going to be some PVP game is going to be really disappointed, sure there might be some PVP servers, and even the developers might support PVP but the community itself will enforce PVE and demand PVE when they want, the community will ask for pure PVE servers, or it will not be a successful game. EQ is PVE.

I don't know what it's like in EQ2 but this is what EQ is like now, it's not just a smaller majority of players that are PVE like in WoW, no EQ is more like a PVE stronghold where 99% of the players are PVE purists.

All these PVE servers are not PVE with PVP battlegrounds or something, no they are 100% pure PVE servers.

+1

Anyone who thinks EQNext is going to have PvP at the forefront might as well bow out now. Yes it will have PvP and it might be okay but don't think for one moment that PvP comes before PVE.

EQ is and has always been a PVE MMO first and foremost, that will never change.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by rungard

This is accurate. I dont agree than you cant use a class system in a sandbox, but eq certainly has a skill based system underneath its levelling system. eq had soo much fun stuff that no one talks about. That stuff was the magic. Not the levels and not the raids. Weve seen what magic is created from levels and raids.

lets see what the other magic can do.

I've found the bit in orange to be true of most MMOs I've played.

It's always baffled me when people would call Final Fantasy XI (pre-Abyssea) "nothing but a level grind to end-game". They'd complain about doing nothing but grinding on mobs all the time. There were, when I stopped playing, 23+ different activities to participate in. Each had their own content, rules, rewards and requirements, and they were spread out across many levels, not just "high level".

So, *I* knew the game offered far more than just "grinding levels" and "end-game raiding". The problem is, players coming into the game had this idea firmly stuck in their head that "MMOs = grinding to level cap, then raiding endlessly". This has been the case for pretty much every new MMO to come out for the last 7 years or so.

The stranger part is, they'd complain about it. They'd complain about the games being nothing but an endless level grind, and how they were sick of it. Thing is, the game was like that for them because all they spent their time doing was grinding levels. But then when you'd point out "well, you know, there's all these 20+ other activities you could also do... You don't have to spend all your time grinding xp", you'd get your head bitten off with some tirade about how "all that other content is useless because it doesn't help you level faster and the rewards aren't worth it". I'd be told, quite firmly, that MMOs were all about end game and that getting there as efficiently as possible was all that mattered. All that other content was "useless filler".

Yet they complained about it.

It became apparent to me a long time ago now that players are demonstrably their own worst enemies. The one thing they claim to hate is the one thing they'll argue vehemently that "the games are all about", to the exclusion of almost anything else.

Funniest thing (in a sad way) is, they'd eventually get burned out, fed up and move on to another MMO - to do exactly the same thing: grinding levels non-stop and doing only content that helped them level faster or got them "the best rewards". And once again, they'd blame the devs/game for making the game "nothing but an endless grind-fest", even though there was all this other stuff to do.

It was the classic definition of insanity: Doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting a different result.

And it still happens to this day. The obvious cause of their frustration is staring them in the face, yet they never see it. Or maybe they do, but in their conceit, believe they've got it right and the devs have it all wrong; that they know what the game is "all about" more than those "clueless devs" who spent years designing and developing it in the first place.

Just look at some of the most common questions people ask when they're just starting a game, or even just interested in checking it out: "How much end game is there?" and "How long does it take to get to level cap?". They haven't even launched the game for the first time yet, and they're already concerned about end game? Really?

I think that's the biggest hurdle Smed and SOE have to contend with. I'm sure they can come up with some really interesting concepts/ideas. But until MMO gamers are willing to take a step back, re-evaluate their own preferences and proclivities and are willing to unchain themselves from their own treadmill... it's going to be an uphill battle. I have no real expectations of that happening. MMO gamers, many of them, are far too conceited and set in their ways to ever see what they're doing as being the problem. Far easier to blame those "clueless devs who don't know how to make a MMO". 

I think the best hope SOE and Smed have is to settle on the fact that they aren't going to attract a huge, WoW-like fan-base, that the game will likely end up with a smaller, but solid and loyal playerbase that will stick with them and grow steadily over the years - like Eve Online did.

Smed says they want to make a MMO that lasts 15 years. That longevity won't be supported by the fly-by-night, "game of the month" MMO hoppers. It will be supported by the long-term players who really dig in, plant roots, and call the Norrath of EQNext "home" for the long term. He just has to stick to the vision they have for the game, and not cave into trying to appeal more to the typical "themepark crowd" who just want more of the same.

If Smed create a WORLD with time progression system this game can perfecty lasts 15 years+

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

so, I take it noone wants to play on the pvp server with me? ;)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by pvpirl

so, I take it noone wants to play on the pvp server with me? ;)

Ill most definetly be playing on the PvP server pref team based one over FFA if there one.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

It's not that Smedley is not interested in PVP I think, I mean planetside 2 is "PVP" in a way, it's just that EQ was meant to be PVE from the start. If you look at the James Hall (sp?) video of Everquest, Smedley mentions "UO was PVP so we wanted to do PVE".  

Anyone thinking EQNext is going to be some PVP game is going to be really disappointed, sure there might be some PVP servers, and even the developers might support PVP but the community itself will enforce PVE and demand PVE when they want, the community will ask for pure PVE servers, or it will not be a successful game. EQ is PVE.

I don't know what it's like in EQ2 but this is what EQ is like now, it's not just a smaller majority of players that are PVE like in WoW, no EQ is more like a PVE stronghold where 99% of the players are PVE purists.

All these PVE servers are not PVE with PVP battlegrounds or something, no they are 100% pure PVE servers.

+1

Anyone who thinks EQNext is going to have PvP at the forefront might as well bow out now. Yes it will have PvP and it might be okay but don't think for one moment that PvP comes before PVE.

i would expect a far more integrated game that you might believe.

As far as your server numbers..ok so thats  20,000 players. Show me the other 2 million 480 thousand required.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

+1

Didn't Smedley specifically say that they were looking to make something that wasn't "Everquest III" but break out into a new direction? I'm not saying that EQN will be all FFA everywhere, but at the same time I wouldn't place too much faith in precedents set by previous iterations.

The fact is, we just don't know. All we have are his hints, plus an unambiguous statement that they're going in a new direction from the old everquests.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Malcanis

+1

Didn't Smedley specifically say that they were looking to make something that wasn't "Everquest III" but break out into a new direction? I'm not saying that EQN will be all FFA everywhere, but at the same time I wouldn't place too much faith in precedents set by previous iterations.

The fact is, we just don't know. All we have are his hints, plus an unambiguous statement that they're going in a new direction from the old everquests.

Nope they are moving away from EQ2 and back towards EQ with modern features. Fewer classes than EQ2 and an open seamless world are just two of the thing they are going back to. EQNext will be an hybrid imo and not an out and out sandbox game but make no mistake that PVE will be at the core of the game.

Yes it will have an up to date PVP system but PVP will not be the driving force of the game, PVE will lead the way imo.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    I've been  doing some thinking instead of posting, and all thes e arguments of  PVP vs PVE got me thinking. with newer more improved AI I could imagine instead a world full of advanced factions and PVPVE much akin to what Aion was doing, mixed with GW2 DE style of play.  If done right a system with a lot if depth could be very epic
  • Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

bold announcements tend to deliver  airbubbles 

well see ........

but in all honesty i think  the hardcore sanbox crowd deserves  a  new game

being crafted for them.

eqn will be their first world, other than planetside 2, to have an open seamless world via the lightforge engine.

all we really do have is hints, but nowhere was it said they were going back to eq. They specifically said a "reimagining", which i take to be vastly different. Its even doubtful that it will have the "kill, reward,loot,levelup" gameplay of eq because they specifically said they wanted to do something different.

you should have a look at planetside 2 because alot of those features will undoubtedly make their way to EQN. Why would they waste them, they arent competing because of the station access and different themes.

i would expect the unexpected this time around.

what i would expect:

-spells and skills interact with the environment. A wall of dirt will deform the area. A meteor strike might burn down the woods. a druids spell will bring clouds and drown flames. you will be able to make your own spells/items/everything. More powerful spells will require powerful components to make them work.

- there will be raids, pve and pvp, but the game will be about worldbuilding first and everything else second.

-you will be able to build, maintain and own property including houses, lairs, towers, and castles in the world.

-there will be some form of pvp which includes territory control.

- Faction will be a major force in the game.

-the game will be the first true fps mmorpg

-there will be classes, and deep skill customization. You will be able to aquire all classes and skills in the game, but only operate as one class at a time.

-there will be mounts and there will be a whole customization section for these alone.

-gods will play a bigger role and you might have to defend your chosen god from other players.

- raiding will be completely different than what your used to. It will be more accessible, mostly in the open world, and have a random component to it. You might have to go scouting this time around. They wont always be waiting for you to kill them.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

eqn will be their first world, other than planetside 2, to have an open seamless world via the lightforge engine.

all we really do have is hints, but nowhere was it said they were going back to eq. They specifically said a "reimagining", which i take to be vastly different. Its even doubtful that it will have the "kill, reward,loot,levelup" gameplay of eq because they specifically said they wanted to do something different.

you should have a look at planetside 2 because alot of those features will undoubtedly make their way to EQN. Why would they waste them, they arent competing because of the station access and different themes.

what i would expect:

-spells and skills interact with the environment. A wall of dirt will deform the area. A meteor strike might burn down the woods. a druids spell will bring clouds and drown flames. you will be able to make your own spells/items/everything. More powerful spells will require powerful components to make them work.

- there will be raids, pve and pvp, but the game will be about worldbuilding first and everything else second.

-you will be able to build, maintain and own property including houses, lairs, towers, and castles in the world.

-there will be classes, and deep skill customization. You will be able to aquire all classes and skills in the game, but only operate as one class at a time.

-there will be mounts and there will be a whole customization section for these alone.

-gods will play a bigger role and you might have to defend your chosen god from other players.

- raiding will be completely different than what your used to. It will be more accessible, mostly in the open world, and have a random component to it. You might have to go scouting this time around. They wont always be waiting for you to kill them.

Do you actually know this or are you hyping yourself up with speculation? Because what it sounds like is you setting yourself up for a massive disappointment.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Mike-McQueen
    If I remember correctly, EQ1 had pvp servers, some with special loot conditions like only 1 item and all your gold or something like that.

It did, but FFA PvP servers on games like EQ are generally... not very good. The game mechanics are never built for PvP, the items never balanced for it, so you just end up with a shallow gank fest. They should do systemized PvP like DAoC, rather than just toss in a poorly thought out FFA server.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Those mentioning EQ should copy daoc somewhat.

It won't work, having more of a pvp focus wasn't the only difference between the games

Daoc - pvp was THE endgame, pve was secondary even though it had a pure pve server,pvp was the focus
    It wasn't a gear grinding game,gear was fairly unimportant, sure not gw2 / coh unimportant, but class to those games than say wow or EQ.
    Raiding was very different, it was a relatively easy thing to get involved in to bring whole realms together,it wasn't an exclusive activity for elite guilds only.

Sure daoc and EQ have some things in common, like they both have fully persistent zero instancing worlds, but the endgame was very different with daoc leaning much more on the pvp side of the pvp / pve scale and somewhat more on the casual side of the casual / hardcore scale.

Also planetside and no doubt planetside 2 are essentialy daoc endgame without "all the boring levelling and pve bits", but with fps mechanics in a sci-fi setting. I don't see why Sony would make a competing product especially when gw2 and by the looks TESO are offering a kinda daoc lite product.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Those mentioning EQ should copy daoc somewhat.

It won't work, having more of a pvp focus wasn't the only difference between the games

Daoc - pvp was THE endgame, pve was secondary even though it had a pure pve server,pvp was the focus And this is bad how? It didn't stop DAoC from having some of the best, and hardest raids in MMO history.

It wasn't a gear grinding game,gear was fairly unimportant, sure not gw2 / coh unimportant, but class to those games than say wow or EQ. And this was an advantage. You could get the best gear from crafters OR from raids, depending on your playstyle. Raid gear generally looked prettier. It also meant that anyone could go to any raid, and that raids were skill based, not linear gear grinds. 
    Raiding was very different, it was a relatively easy thing to get involved in to bring whole realms together,it wasn't an exclusive activity for elite guilds only. Again, a good thing. Though there were smaller raids for elite guilds who wanted a challenge. But it was more based around skill than gear. 

Sure daoc and EQ have some things in common, like they both have fully persistent zero instancing worlds, but the endgame was very different with daoc leaning much more on the pvp side of the pvp / pve scale and somewhat more on the casual side of the casual / hardcore scale.

Also planetside and no doubt planetside 2 are essentialy daoc endgame without "all the boring levelling and pve bits", but with fps mechanics in a sci-fi setting. I don't see why Sony would make a competing product especially when gw2 and by the looks TESO are offering a kinda daoc lite product.

Because having optional PvP means it'll appeal to more people than having a linear raiding system that's been outdated and fairly tired since the 90s?

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    The Gods thing is interesting I think, EQNext will still be about Norrath from what I understand, but it be an alternative universe, another version of Norrath, not a continuation of the timeline. So some Gods that were evil in the past might be good now, etc.

Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by Rimmersman Anyone who thinks EQNext is going to be built with PvP at the forefront is dreaming. Yeah it will have a great PvP system but EQ has always and will always be a PVE mmo at it's core.
    This ^

I've been laughing my ass off with this thread and all the pvp dudes speculating and thinking of their perfect little PVP mmo.

EQ never has and never will be designed with PVP as a major focus.  Just because Smed is a fan of EVE doesn't mean that he is talking about PVP.  What is talking about is the emergent gameplay mechanics.  Basically the players making the content so to speak.

"My Eve experiences have been some of the most amazing of my gaming life. I am a true PVP'er at heart and I'm not a big fan of rules." - Smed

"Personally I play on the PvP server. It's a lot of fun to see all-out hero vs. villan fights. We're working on the balance and tuning at a furious pace, but it's a blast." -Smed

Smed hates pvp.

• 3SulpNietorp3SulpNietorp Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Quirhid

what i would expect:

Do you actually know this or are you hyping yourself up with speculation? Because what it sounds like is you setting yourself up for a massive disappointment.

I like the thoughts, excluding the two highlighted in red. Most of the systems already exist in SOE games; some are present in Rift and EVE, for example. The "new" elements would include trade-routes in persistent settings, "dynamic" AI, and terrain deformation. I'd like to see the concepts attempted. We can only wonder. ;)

The EQ Next ideas thread: http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=399389

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53

As someone who played the original EQ for over 8 years until it was changed so much I had to stop, I am afraid of what the devs are going to do to it in the name of progress.  I would love to see them keep the soul of the game and just modernize the graphics and the engine.  It was a great game.  Why change it beyond recognition.

idk about a FPS mmo. I hated that about darkfall. I liked look at my
    troll's asscrack

Also, EQN will be available on the Playstation new info

• Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    That was dated 2008?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The Gods thing is interesting I think, EQNext will still be about Norrath from what I understand, but it be an alternative universe, another version of Norrath, not a continuation of the timeline. So some Gods that were evil in the past might be good now, etc.

It's been quoted as a "multiverse" and that there are ties between them like the upcomming EQ and EQ2 expansions.  They could pull off the idea of different multiverses and having them connect at points since [self-removed].  In order to not spoil anything, yes I know EQ is 12 years old, suffice to say that there can be an infinate amount of different Norraths.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Macecard
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    Not enough funding to make it a big theme park mmo like Everquest 2 was. Will be something like GW2 , sounds like it will suck and be boring if you are into PVE, but will be based on pvp.

Haha what? How did you reach this conclusion?

Not enough funding? SoE is one of the most successful MMO companies out there. They had the funds to develop Planetside 2's engine from scratch (and it is an AMAZING engine). And how will it be like sandbox? GW2 is the opposite of a sanbox.

And why does sandbox mean PvP? SWG was PvE oriented, as was Asheron's Call.

Christ.

Thanks Davis, wasnt sure if it was just me thinking his whole post came out of his ***.

Great response, made even better by the fact that the forum name is RIPOSTEthis. You riposte was well executed.

Also, years after the whole SWG NGE atrocity drove me to quit SWG after playing it from the start I have never had much respect or consideration for SOE in the MMO department. My initial reaction is skepticism looming over the briefest glimmer of hoipe that SOE will do this right. If they do i will certainly play it.

SO SICK OF THEMEPARK MMO's these days!!!. My favorite MMO's were the sandbox-ish ones. Asheron's Call and (Pre NGE) SWG for the most part.

read smed's thread on reddit, he talks alot about the fall SWG, and elludes to the fact that alot of the good elements of SWG will be in EQN.

Originally posted by Quirhid

what i would expect:

Since i have almost no data ( well a few articles and planetside 2 to go on) im of course speculating. Im not too worried about setting myself up for a dissapointment. It will either be worthy or it wont. If they want my money they know what they need to do . Im long past being dissapointed about mmo's.  it will be what it will be.

This discussion has been closed.