Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: The Halloween Bash

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that Halloween has finally arrived, and the Guild Wars 2 holiday event is nearly through, we wanted to take a few minutes to look back at the event and offer a few of our thoughts about the first annual bash. Read on and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

ArenaNet continues to bombard us with Halloween fun in Guild Wars 2.  Last week we went over how they kicked things off, but with more acts to the event now playable there’s even more to do.  The event has been split into 4 different acts, with 3 of them now playable as I’m typing.  Each act brings more madness to the land of Tyria, but are these additions really enough to satisfy your craving for Halloween terror?

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: The Halloween Bash.

Who's laughing now?!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88
    Damm the clock tower, its the only thing standing between me and the meta achievement. Hopefully tonight I have better luck...
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Destructhor
    Damm the clock tower, its the only thing standing between me and the meta achievement. Hopefully tonight I have better luck...

lol Clock tower= EPIC!

Book journey one to write home about for sure!!!! -havent even hit the mini hidden dungeons or puzzles..

"Now DANCE- Listen to the music in your head...DANCE!" - best line ever!

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    amount of content and stuff to do in this event has been pretty incredible really looking forward to what's in store for the next content patch

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948
    Originally posted by Destructhor

The Clock Tower Achievement doesn't contribute to getting the Halloween-related title.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    I was disappointed that the second parts of the book thing took you through some level 35+ zones, so if you were low 30 you couldn't solo to get there :-(
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Loved mad king dungeon and labyrinth. Overall it was a great event, despite some personal pet peeves and broken stuff early on.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    IT was alot of fun, even though I couldn't complete the jumping challenge.
  • VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Nothing screams 'mmorpg' like a jumping puzzle.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Nothing screams 'FUN' like the Halloween events in Tyria.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Clock tower was great. I am currently basking in the glory of being the only person in our little hometown guild that has completed it.

The mad King dungeon was fun but I didn't feel like farming it repeatedly.

The labrynth was alot of fun, however the loot was not kind to me this year. Maybe next event I'll find a horseshoe to hang around my neck. 

The PvP games were ok, but not really my thing. Lots of people liked them though.

I didn't bother with the book, at least not yet. Maybe later on this week.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the event, definately one of the best I've taken part in.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    The act 2 book is really worth it, only thing better would be a rare guild back piece.
  • NeoscrillaNeoscrilla Member Posts: 4
    Good Halloween event! Took me about  2 hours to do the clocktower, but in the end I got the event title, but i couldnt be bothered to carve 150 pumpkins, which thank god didnt count toward the achievement! Went from 74-80 in a couple hours in the Mad King's Realm! Only thing that I was hoping was that the outfits on the TP were reduced in gem cost towards the end of the event, but oh well, I'm not paying $10 for a costume (but I did buy the mini-pets >.>). Overall best holiday event I have done in a game in quite awhile.
    Originally posted by Benbrada
    I was disappointed that the second parts of the book thing took you through some level 35+ zones, so if you were low 30 you couldn't solo to get there :-(

there were so many doing it at same time i had no issue on my level 12 thief getting it all done...

• rhoddy01rhoddy01 Member Posts: 1
    None of my characters are over 32 and I was able to get both books on 2 of my toons. The clock tower took me 5 hours to do and storm Sandy prevented me from getting the last Mad King Ascend instance. Will probably miss the party tonight too unless power is restored tonight. Great events though, had a good time.
  • BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    I am pretty sad I missed all this. I have had my computer for 2 weeks now and won't for another 2. I'd really have liked to have that book. Plus this was the only thing that got mr excited for Halloween. There is next year. I hope they have this stuff and just add in more.
  • MilitantMilitant Member Posts: 48
    Thought they said the events end on Nov 5.
  • CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Militant

Nope, halloween ends Nov. 1st.

It's the ridiculous (and personally much hated and rather stupid) lotto chest event that ends on the fifth. Greatsaw sword skin has (unsurprisingly) inflated in price of course, while the lackluster skins are still cheaper than sin.

Said this before, but I do hope they step away from dictating damn near every single bit of holiday flair into the item shop. The costumes are one thing, but let us actually earn those weapon skins instead of having to rely on an undisclosed drop rate meant solely to rip off all the unlucky, clueless sods who probably spent $50 alone on overpriced chest keys trying to get it.

Seriously... when Arena Net wanted to claim to be better with GW2, lotto chests ala every single F2P and lazily-converted F2P title was the last thing I expected from them. Specially as somethign that is part of their strongest points (holiday events).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Sparkfly Fen is a lot over 35, the mobs close was about lvl 55. I was proud that my lvl 44 warrior completed the whole thing without dying once or having help by friends.

A 30 can still complete it, but needs help from a high level character or a lot of luck unless you are a thief. Thieves can complete it anywaysif they are good.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Do you play with your graphics on lowest settings?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

This.

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    There were some bugs, and the rewards werent very great, but overall it was some fun new content. If they keep pumping out stuff like this, GW2 will continue to be succesful.
  • 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Cursedsei
    Originally posted by Militant

Nope, halloween ends Nov. 1st.

It's the ridiculous (and personally much hated and rather stupid) lotto chest event that ends on the fifth. Greatsaw sword skin has (unsurprisingly) inflated in price of course, while the lackluster skins are still cheaper than sin.

Said this before, but I do hope they step away from dictating damn near every single bit of holiday flair into the item shop. The costumes are one thing, but let us actually earn those weapon skins instead of having to rely on an undisclosed drop rate meant solely to rip off all the unlucky, clueless sods who probably spent $50 alone on overpriced chest keys trying to get it.

Seriously... when Arena Net wanted to claim to be better with GW2, lotto chests ala every single F2P and lazily-converted F2P title was the last thing I expected from them. Specially as somethign that is part of their strongest points (holiday events).

Calm ya tits mate. These skins are only cosmetic and have no impact really on how well you play in PvE or PvP environment.

Also..the other F2P lotto chests you mentioned, mostly contain "Pay to win" type items.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Loved it. I liked the labyrinth the best. It was harder to solo but fun. I liked how they spread out the pumkins for carving. 

I do have to mention tho. Despite all the nonsense posts on this website's forum concerning the actual number of players in zones when this event started, the number of players in all of the other zones went RIGHT back to what it was before Halloween patch was loaded. People were still there in droves on my server in every location. (most were RPers so not much talking in map chat)