Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will TESO have aim based combat, Tabtarget, or hybrid?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
Will TESO have aim based combat, Tabtarget, or hybrid like GW2?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    it's hybrid.   has both aim and tab-target.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by muffins89

hey I like that.

just curious how they will handle the UI since both mouse buttons are part of combat.

by the way, doesnt the left mouse button control the first attack skill on the action bar?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

hey I like that.

just curious how they will handle the UI since both mouse buttons are part of combat.

by the way, doesnt the left mouse button control the first attack skill on the action bar?

there will be a hotkey to toggle your mouse cursor off and on. 

i think the mouse buttons are seperate skills from your hotbar.  so you will have 8 total.  but im not entirely sure.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

hey I like that.

i think the mouse buttons are seperate skills from your hotbar.  so you will have 8 total.  but im not entirely sure.

There is no need to actually aim with your bow, melee weapon or spells.  if you are targetting an enemy and within range it will auto-hit.

They have said they are experimenting with actual real-time combat though so hopefully they pull it off.

Originally posted by Entinerint

hey I like that.

There is no need to actually aim with your bow, melee weapon or spells.  if you are targetting an enemy and within range it will auto-hit.

They have said they are experimenting with actual real-time combat though so hopefully they pull it off.

the more recent interviews mention real-time combat.   where you have a cross-hair on your screen because you need to aim.  how that works while also having tab-tagetting,  i have no idea.

hey I like that.

the more recent interviews mention real-time combat.   where you have a cross-hair on your screen because you need to aim.  how that works while also having tab-tagetting,  i have no idea.

It means that you don't have a free-mouse, your mouse is tied to your look, so you have to cursor over them to target them, after that, once they're targetted, it's all automatic.  In the interview from the most recent stuff Matt Firor is asked about actually aiming stuff and he says they are working on it.

• DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95
    Holy shit have you guys read or listened to any of the interviews posted on this very site?! The targeting will be just as it is in Skyrim / other Elder Scrolls games, free targeting. The left and right mouse button will be tied to your "main abilities" (So melee swings for melee characters) and holding down the button will produce a harder swing just like in Skyrim/Etc. You will also have abilities that do more damage or give buffs/bonuses. Please for the love of god read the stuff that has been posted on this website / listen to the podcast, so many questions are answered and it prevents people from blowing bullshit saying the system is "Hybrid" when they really have no idea.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Will TESO have aim based combat, Tabtarget, or hybrid like GW2?

Do you actually read previews and reviews, the information is not hard to find.

Here.

If you've ever played an Elder Scrolls game, TESO's controls will be immediately familiar to you. WASD moves your character, the mouse controls where you're looking/aiming (no tab-targeting here, folks), spacebar jumps, shift sprints... you get the idea. The combat controls are also taken directly from previousTES titles. Clicking the left mouse button will swing your weapon, whereas holding it down will charge up a power attack and holding right-click will block incoming attacks.

So while we're on the subject, let's talk about combat. I mentioned earlier that TESO varies from previous titles in a few ways, mostly by necessity, and combat is one of those ways. It's obviously very difficult to implement the combat of, say, Skyrim directly into an MMO. And honestly, I always thought that combat was one of the series' weaker points. As a dual-wielding character in Skyrim, I got very familiar with the "strategic" combat style of running up, spamming power attacks, and backpedaling furiously. Maybe it's just me, but I never found it terribly tactical or exciting. TESO captures the spirit of the series' combat in a way that is better-suited to an MMO environment, and in my opinion, considerably more engaging.

The closest comparison I can draw to an existing combat system would be Champions Online, but it has a few twists of its own. One of the features I thought was pretty awesome was the finesse system. During each fight, you're rated on your combat prowess based on how efficiently you take down your foes. For instance, enemies will periodically charge up power attacks that can be blocked by holding down right-click. After the player blocks a foe's power attack, the enemy will briefly be "exploitable," which means that performing a power attack on that enemy will do major damage and knock him to the ground. Properly blocking attacks and exploiting enemies will earn you finesse points, which serve a few different purposes.

Overall, the combat has a strong action flavor and flows really well. Taking on a group of enemies and surgically blocking, retaliating, and using abilities while watching your finesse score rise has a way of making you feel like a badass. Unfortunately, the combat suffers from an incredibly finnicky targeting system that can make fights involving multiple mobs and/or ally players somewhat frustrating.

In essence, you can attack or use abilities only if your targeting reticle is currently over a valid target, so if you and three of your best buddies are going to town on some hapless zombie, it's pretty easy for abilities to simply not trigger because your friend's attack animation put his pinkie finger in the way of your targeting reticle. I'm admittedly a bit disappointed that there's no real-time hit detection, so you can't simply swing your sword and hit the enemies in the arc of the blade, and there doesn't seem to be any way to dodge incoming projectiles. I can understand why those things can be problematic to implement, but the current targeting system needs a great deal of work.

Watch this recent interview.  The interviewer, having played the game, asks if we're ever going to have to aim in the combat.  Matt Firor's answers is essentially: "We don't know, we're trying"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjA1vN_a6u0

So to clarify.

It is NOT 100% like Skyrim...

...YET.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Watch this recent interview.  The interviewer, having played the game, asks if we're ever going to have to aim in the combat.  Matt Firor's answers is essentially: "We don't know, we're trying"

So to clarify.

...YET.

Going by this it's actually more engaging.

If you've ever played an Elder Scrolls game, TESO's controls will be immediately familiar to you. WASD moves your character, the mouse controls where you're looking/aiming (no tab-targeting here, folks), spacebar jumps, shift sprints... you get the idea. The combat controls are also taken directly from previousTES titles. Clicking the left mouse button will swing your weapon, whereas holding it down will charge up a power attack and holding right-click will block incoming attacks.

So while we're on the subject, let's talk about combat. I mentioned earlier that TESO varies from previous titles in a few ways, mostly by necessity, and combat is one of those ways. It's obviously very difficult to implement the combat of, say, Skyrim directly into an MMO. And honestly, I always thought that combat was one of the series' weaker points. As a dual-wielding character in Skyrim, I got very familiar with the "strategic" combat style of running up, spamming power attacks, and backpedaling furiously. Maybe it's just me, but I never found it terribly tactical or exciting. TESO captures the spirit of the series' combat in a way that is better-suited to an MMO environment, and in my opinion, considerably more engaging.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

So to clarify.

...YET.

Going by this it's actually more engaging.

From someone who dislikes the combat in Skyrim...lol

There is nothing "more engaging" than having complete control.  The more things that are automated, the less engaged a player is.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The more things that are automated, the less engaged a player is.

Twitch combat does not make you more engaged, it is just different type of interaction.

FPS style of combat takes big deal of RPG out of the game, imo and I am happy to hear they see TES combat as weak spot to improve.

Originally posted by Gdemami

The more things that are automated, the less engaged a player is.

Twitch combat does not make you more engaged, it is just different type of interaction.

FPS style of combat takes big deal of RPG out of the game, imo and I am happy to hear they see TES combat as weak spot to improve.

Improving would be adding to it, not taking away from it.

Having played a ton of WoW and its clones, raiding and PvPing while watching tv, I can tell you no matter how many hotbar slots you have, you can pull that stuff off with your eyes closed.  It is all memorization and rotation.  Once you memorize, that's it, game over.  It's math, pattern recognition, which means it is repetitive at best.

But with twitch combat, it is always unpredictable, dynamic and you have to be on the ball.

I like to play games, not have games play themselves.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    If it has player skill ala free aim targeting I'll be playing this no matter what, though I hope it's not like Tera (aim in the general direction and it hits)

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars