Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

15678911»

Comments

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by grimal

GW2, at its root, is a third-person action game.  It has some RPG-lite elements tacked on to it.  Much in the same way how CoD or other shooters have RPG elements tagged onto them in the forms of weapon and perk unlocks.

To me, it feels like ANET designed this from the "action" point up.  Whereas a game like EQ or Vanguard designed the game from the RPG element up.

Hence, at its core it is more akin to an arcade game than an in-depth roleplaying experience.  This is why the game feels actiony but not character-driven.

It's a good game, don't get me wrong.  But I would not consider it an MMORPG.  It's a massive online action game that tries to pretend it is an MMORPG. 

Out of curiousity; why do you constantly and incessantly post about how you think GW2 isn't an MMO in your eyes? You post it in nearly every single thread, often multiple times. Why do you care so much? Every thread I read about GW2, you post "I think it's a good action game, but not an MMO." Looking back at your post history; why do you have such a strong agenda against putting it in a bloody genre?

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Eq2
  • saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by Simphanatic
    Originally posted by Josher

GW2 is the first MMO since vanilla WOW that I've really enjoyed.  The sad part is that enjoyment last about 5 weeks, because even playing casually, I got to 80 and "realized, wtf do I do now?". 

For myself, I want to LIVE in a game world, not merely play in it. That means all game components -- PvP, RvR, quests, crafting, economy, factions, guilds -- must have an intrinsic, rational purpose for existing in the world. Too many game developers treat these components as if they're plug and play. Instead, they should pull all heads out of asses, nose around the real world and try to understand the symbiosis of similar factors in everyday life. When they do this players will quit thinking in terms of run up and end game.

but the WvW and PVEand guild have thier purpose

WvW its not just zerg and take points you are rewarded with bonuses to your PvE that allow you to gather more materials from these nodes, that increase your gold income if you sell them on market or make crafting easier, give you better stats, healing etc

guild have its purpose also, not only to socialize with other players, maybe make some friends but also giving you buffs to your WvW, PvP expirience and having a cool guild logo on your armor :)

sPvP allow you to take part of these monthly, yearly tournaments and when you win your name is carved into the stone that everyone can see :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by khamul787

GW2, at its root, is a third-person action game.  It has some RPG-lite elements tacked on to it.  Much in the same way how CoD or other shooters have RPG elements tagged onto them in the forms of weapon and perk unlocks.

To me, it feels like ANET designed this from the "action" point up.  Whereas a game like EQ or Vanguard designed the game from the RPG element up.

Hence, at its core it is more akin to an arcade game than an in-depth roleplaying experience.  This is why the game feels actiony but not character-driven.

It's a good game, don't get me wrong.  But I would not consider it an MMORPG.  It's a massive online action game that tries to pretend it is an MMORPG. 

Out of curiousity; why do you constantly and incessantly post about how you think GW2 isn't an MMO in your eyes? You post it in nearly every single thread, often multiple times. Why do you care so much? Every thread I read about GW2, you post "I think it's a good action game, but not an MMO." Looking back at your post history; why do you have such a strong agenda against putting it in a bloody genre?

And why do you care what he posts, go play your game and stop worrying about what people say about GW2.

• Half_Man_Half_ToonHalf_Man_Half_Toon Member Posts: 156
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by khamul787

And why do you care what he posts, go play your game and stop worrying about what people say about GW2.

I thinks it needs a Expansion pack.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Depends what you consider 'better'.

Story / lore / char wise, SWTOR has GW2 beat. I like stories that make sense or at least stories that doesn't suddenly stop and  move on without anyone in the game saying anything about it.

I'm not really a W v W guy but apparently people are getting upset that the majority of players don't play when it seems like the server is going to lose.

GW2 is a solid game that does some unique things but it has issues.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    since 2005 i dont know ,since after vanilla wow?nope!rage of fire (wow)come a close second tho!)
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think Rift is better for me. It offers more of what I want in an MMO.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Well my opinion is that Lotro is better than GW2. Its my opinion that its one of the top mmo out today. (Sorry cell wont allow page break). Here is a small list that makes Lotro the total package. Day/night cycles, snow/rain cycles, player housing, great crafting that actually crafts items usable in game, holiday festivals, a massive beautiful world, multiple updates and expansions, the best community of any mmo ive played, fun classes, a great selection of dungeons and raids, mounted combat, pvmp, cosmetic outfits, tge abilty to dye armour, the best story in any mmo. These are just a few things that I think make lotro better than GW2 and makes it one ofthe top mmos in the market today.

half the crap you listed is in GW2...

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Daddydazzle
    Originally posted by mnwild1998
    Well my opinion is that Lotro is better than GW2. Its my opinion that its one of the top mmo out today. (Sorry cell wont allow page break). Here is a small list that makes Lotro the total package. Day/night cycles, snow/rain cycles, player housing, great crafting that actually crafts items usable in game, holiday festivals, a massive beautiful world, multiple updates and expansions, the best community of any mmo ive played, fun classes, a great selection of dungeons and raids, mounted combat, pvmp, cosmetic outfits, tge abilty to dye armour, the best story in any mmo. These are just a few things that I think make lotro better than GW2 and makes it one ofthe top mmos in the market today.

Hence the word "half " .

• Originally posted by Rimmersman

Hence the word "half " .

and GW2 doesn't have anything outside of this list either?

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Lord of the rings.

But really, GW2 isnt an mmo.  its an online competative rpg.  At least, in my opinion it doesnt resemble an MMO.  There is no endgame, just pvp.  Its not even open world pvp.. its just little organsed skirmishes, as opposed the 'wars' that the games title suggests.

And I know, technically it wasnt released on 2005, but I started playing in 2005 Eve-online.  Which is arguably the best mmo of all time thus far.

I know you will argue wow is better, but wow is just a better Everquest.  Its not technically original or superior, it just appeals to a wider audience.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    GW2 was about as deep as a Dixie cup for me, so I'd say it's been on par with a majority of MMOs that's come out since 2005. 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• EvilMixEvilMix Member Posts: 251

Well just like all of these threads, we have people resorting to random gibberish to try and prove their point, sad part is, and this has already been posted here. Everybody has their favorite MMORPG, and it generally happens to be the first or second MMORPG they've played, for me, my favorite was City of Heroes.

Currently, I've been playing WoW on and off since December 2010, so that's up there as my personal favorite as well, seeing as I usually play a game for a month or so and leave. Holding my attention for almost 2 years like WoW did was a pretty big feat.

After reading a couple pages from this thread it's became clear that people treat these MMOs kind of like people hold a religion dear to them, you aren't going to change their minds, and most of what they say is going to be biased. There are a lot of interesting releases coming that definitely have a lot of potential.

So, to sum it up. All you're doing in this thread is reading everyone's biased opinions because they're nostalgic about their first ever MMORPGs. It's in fact, impossible as a game designer to please everybody. If that were the case we'd only have 1 MMORPG. A lot of the games released in the past few years have had an infinite amount of potential, that the game desingers just couldn't capitalize on.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by thark
    The Secret World is far better..

I feel the same.

GW2 is fun for a bit, but I only managed to get to level 34 or so before I stopped playing out of boredom. I picked up The Secret World a few weeks ago and I am enjoying it far more. The combat is a little lackluster, but the atmosphere, lore, story, etc. more than make up for that IMO. It has some of the best questing I've experienced, and for a themepark-esque MMO, it certainly takes the cake (at least for me). 

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464

LOTRO was better prior to Rise of Isenguard. Still one of the best MMO's I've ever played, up there with DAoC, EQ, UO.

Sad thing is, everyone left SWTOR cuz of lack of engame, and compaired to GW2, SWTOR is better. lol. However, EA/Bioware will never see a red cent from me ever again, for anything, ever, ever ever ever.

Guild Wars 2 was AWESOME leveling to 80, WvW was incredible the first couple months, getting 100% exploration was a challenge beyond challenges...however...I've NEVER ran out of stuff to do so fast in any MMO I've played prior.

I'm currently bored out of my mind with nothing to play. It sucks.

Edit:

I want to add: Consider the fact I played to cap on GW2, got 100% completion, am fully geared minus a legendary weapon, competed in WvW as a member of the Titan Alliance (30-0). I participated in beta, played from pre-launch for two months straight. My review is solid, you can trust it. I've seen all there is to see, and it took two months.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by wordiz

LOTRO was better prior to Rise of Isenguard. Sad thing is, everyone left SWTOR cuz of lack of engame, and compaired to GW2 SWTOR is better. lol. However, EA/Bioware will never see a red cent from me ever again, for anything, ever, ever ever ever.

Guild Wars 2 was AWESOME leveling to 80, WvW was incredible the first couple months, getting 100% exploration was a challenge beyond challenges...however...I've NEVER ran out of stuff to do so fast in any MMO I've played prior.

I'm currently bored out of my mind with nothing to play. It sucks.

Have you done all the jumping puzzles?  Found all the hidden chests?  Played sPvP (if you're into that).

I think part of the problem people have with GW2 is they run through content way too fast for any MMO let alone GW2.  I mean, playing for 500 hours in 1 1/2 months is mind-boggling to me.  I play roughly 8hrs/week.  A little more if I can.  But usually I can't.  However, playing that much in that little span of time would wear out any game I would think.

Anyway, I personally think GW2 is the best game I've ever played.  Even with its flaws.  So, nope, I don't thing there's a better mmorpg out there, period.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    Not big into SPVP, but yeah, did all jumping puzzles...add that to my GW2 resume as well.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

See right here is part of the problem i see with SOME of the GW2 lovers. The question on this post was simple I didnt bash GW2 just stated why I thought lotro was better. And this is the logical thought process from some of these players. Again as another poster pointed out the key word he used in his reply was "half".

Seeing that you were quoting stuff that made LOTRO better than GW2, maybe you should have refined the list. I'll help you with it.

Here is a small list that makes Lotro the total package.  player housing, expansions,  a great selection of dungeons and raids, mounted combat, pvmp.

I removed the things that GW2 has as well, leaving the items that LOTRO has over GW2.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.