Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney buys Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Comments

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    All this means is now they will lock the Star Wars movies in the "Disney vault" so they can only make them available once a year at a "special" marked up price..... Horay....
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Fuggly
    Disney will destroy the name. I put zero fatih in their Star wars movies.

Except of course they didn't destroy the Avengers movie did they ? They own Marvel you know . 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    All this means is now they will lock the Star Wars movies in the "Disney vault" so they can only make them available once a year at a "special" marked up price..... Horay....

They havn't done that with the Marvel movies the new Star Wars films wont be released as Disney movies they will remain Lucas Films .

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by roo67
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Episode 7 is coming in 2015... I wonder what this movie will be about... any guesses?

From what I've heard from past comments about the episodes 7-9 is it deal with Luke , Leia and Hans children . Luke setting up a new Jedi order and the continued battle against the empire after 20 years of war in the galaxy . My guess is something will happen in the new jedi order which will split it and some will fall to the dark side . I think you can be certain to see c3po and r2d2 will return and maybe some of the original actors . I think you can be pretty certain Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will be interested given thier carears havnt been that great but I have my doubts Han Solo will show up . Kind of expect to see Yoda as a ghost and maybe Anakin . Hey wouldn't the emporers ghost possessing one of the new Jedi order be cool get the exorcists out lol . 

I dont think because the reigns have been handed ( sold ) to Disney is a bad thing after all they own Marvel and the impact on the Marvel characters has been negligable . If anything what will happen is a greater respect for the franchise than happened under Lucas in the prequals . No more Ja Ja Binx or even ewoks .

Beyond the sequal trilogy your likly to see many other Star Wars projects . The TV series Star Wars Underworld will most likly get made  . Possibly the Boba Fett movie as well . Lots more cartoons .  I would think also an old republic series of movies could be in the offering eventually . 

One things for certain from now on there will be a lot more Star Wars and there will be no 10 or 17 year breaks between films for many many years to come . 

You proberbly wont be able to go more than 2 or 3 years without a new Star Wars film and your most likly to see continuous Star Wars TV series both live action and cartoon on your screens . 

Some of its going to be amazing some of its going to suck but to be honest I'm looking forward to it . 

you can be sure to see new Indiana Jones movies as well with a new actor in the part . I would love to see  a trilogy done in the World War 2 years .

Well what you said is not all correct see the emporer never died he was a cloned so Luke joins him as his apprentice at one point in the later stories as for the kids that would make sense as Han and Leias youngest turns out to be what luke was supposed to be Chewi would not be in them because well he dies he gets hit by a moon. C3P0 and R2D2 become Han and Leias and the become the senetors well Leia does and she has the force just not trained as well in it as luke is. But theres alot of storys they could do the 7,8,and 9th movie on which to me ethier way it should be good.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    It means star wars is going to turn into a kid IP.

Lucas himself already did that.....

What it will probably turn into is a new movie every 2-3 years ad infinitum, ad nauseum.  That's what Disney does.  It oversaturates the market with it's offerings.  Pulls them for a little while when sales start to go down, and then rehashes them in slightly new formats.

And we just keep on biting that poison bait.

Basicly what I heard from the business news, 7 will hit 2015 then another every 2-3 years.

Edit: I am not really so exicted, was all about Disney when I was a kid, lets say under 7 years of age. Mostly now I think it is "Pop" garbage, but hey, they sure can crank out the low budget pop-stars, Britney, Christina, Justin.....

As far as StarWars the IP goes, I shall always have a soft spot. But now I am older, and like many things my taste has become more refined. I am a SciFi junkie, but feel that StarWars is "Fantasty"SCiFi, and that is generaly not my sub-genera of choice.

On a capitalist note, Mad Props Lucas!!! Take that to the Bank. Pay Day Mo*&^%$&*()R 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Some people aren't giving Disney enough credit.  They did the Pirate movies, Narnia, Avengers, and several others.  DIsney can make fun, larger than life, action adventure movies and that's what Star Wars is to me.  This is good news to me.

I am with you. I am excited to see what they can do.

• tyler10101tyler10101 Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by necoo
    Technically they only bought Lucasfilms, not Lucasarts. As far as I know, nothing will change with any of the Star Wars games, they are outside of Disney's influence.

Disney also acquires the technologies from the San Francisco-based company, which operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light + Magic, and Skywalker Sound

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

The universe will forever be safe,now that Mickey and crew are in the fold..

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Bah...you beat me to it Tank

/shakesfist

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Now if disney is smart they will fire ea and put their own folks on the swtor project.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

This purchase is unlikely to have ANY affect on SWTOR unless LA had an escape clause that Disney decides it wants to take advantage of so they can make a new MMO based on episode 7.  Heck, they may even be able to go ahead with a new MMO even if SWTOR still exists.

But I'm pretty sure the heads at LA are pretty disenchanted with big budget  MMOs of their properties.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Some people aren't giving Disney enough credit.  They did the Pirate movies, Narnia, Avengers, and several others.  DIsney can make fun, larger than life, action adventure movies and that's what Star Wars is to me.  This is good news to me.

Exactly. Plus, I don't think George Lucas can do starwars right lol. I know that's a wierd thing to say, but its my opinion. If he would have had carte blanche with the originals, they would have been, well like the prequels. If not for oversight by "the evil corparations" lucas would have had the following

Luke, was a girl, Han Solo was a lizard, Jabba was furry, he wanted all the good guys to be smaller than the bad guys so he was going to cast asians for all the lead roles, it was originally earth 33rd century, vader had an iron castle surrounded by lava lol.

So I guess sometimes, having a bigger company make some command decisions is a good thing. I'm hoping the new movie either A.has nothing to do with the original story, B. Or has to suck up recasting those roles, and hires someone with a big time love of the genre. Hell I didn't think jj Abrahms would be able to do star trek, but hell, he did a good job.

I'm looking forward to it.(more so now, that I think it has a chance to not be on the same page as the prequels)

-edit and disney doesn't micro manage, they hire who they think will do the best job and let them go with it. Also, disney has had a long relationship with starwars(startours, the jedi academy thing for kids at the park and so on) so at least a company that loves it, bought it. What if EA bought it....

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Maybe even Monkey Island cartoon :)))
  • PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by rygard49
    I would love to see them making movie about Bane. Seriously this was my favorite SW book (3 books LOL).

I agree it was my favorite as well. There's no way Disney is going to touch that content, though.

We can expect to see plenty of sequels following the formula of Episode 1, and a lot of Ewoks. Tons and tons of Ewoks.

really depends on who they peg for director/writer.. although not the greatest movie I thought john carter was decent for a sci fi movie and shows they can still have some somewhat violent films from disney.. i'm just happy star wars will go on:) honestly though without george behind the wheel I'm actually very excited for the future of the series...

John Carter movie that is based on Burroughs Mars-series isn't science-fiction, it's science fantasy like Star Wars is too. And TBH, John Carter the movie wasn't that good or true to the original writing.

If you wish to read science fiction, I'd recommend you Asimovs writings.

What Disney does to SW IMO? Milks it to death (if there's anything to milk anymore) and continues producing mediocre products for everyone and no-one. If you thought Lucas was bad for his product, just wait what Disneys is capable of doing...

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I better be able to buy mickey mouse hats in SWTOR soon! And maybe some PotC pirate hats...And Wall-E
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by tank017

The universe will forever be safe,now that Mickey and crew are in the fold..

Rofl, please tell me that is ALL CG, good lord....

He should have done this BEFORE episode 1/2, so the new two aimed at young kids would at least have been half decent like many of the newer disney movies.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Johnny Depp playing a drunken shmuggler
    Kira Knightley (again) playing a handmaiden of the (rip) Alderan Princess.
    Olando Bloom as Ben Skywalker?

I'd watch that :)

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

Apparently they're going to retcon everything after Return of the Jedi.

Episode VII will be something entirely new.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Episode 7 is coming in 2015... I wonder what this movie will be about... any guesses?

Will be animated by Pixar and has 4 silly songs in it for sure :D

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by skydiver12

Johnny Depp playing a drunken shmuggler
    Kira Knightley (again) playing a handmaiden of the (rip) Alderan Princess.
    Olando Bloom as Ben Skywalker?

I'd watch that :)

but this is disney so what you will actually get is;

Daffy Duck as the drunken smuggler

Pluto (in a dress, again) playing a handmaiden of the (rip ???) Alderan Princess

Popeye as Ben Skywalker.. 

and something very kingdom hearts orientated probably.. image

• MirathelMirathel Member UncommonPosts: 137

i love how people are jumping to conclusions about disney...

look what they did with all the marvel movies, especially the avengers movie. It was epic, if they do star wars 7-9 right they too will be epic. nuff said

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by AdamTM
    Story is here:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

What does this mean for SWTOR?

Prospects for SWG reboot?

For the love of Cthulhu, would you guys get over it? SWG is never coming back. Never.

...and Jedi would never be a starting profession.......

We all know how that turned out.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • cybersrscybersrs Member UncommonPosts: 181

LucasArts too? are you sure? I only read about LucasFilm.

If they bought LucasArts too, I hope to be release a new MMO in the furute.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They bought all of Lucas, not just star wars, but India Jones, the games the toys the job lot.

That said I highly doubt there will be a new sw mmo. Disney just don't do pc games (or consoles really), they are very much into bookface, phone apps, social web games and all that shite.