Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disney buys Lucasfilm/Lucasarts

Comments

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Acornia
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    It means nothing for SWTOR. They bought Lucas Arts for the name and genre. Swtor is owned by Bioware(or whatever it is called now), through and through. They may invest more $ into it to keep up the name, or they may simply bring up their own MMO, which a doubt to the fullest. It was the name. Nothing at all else.

Yes King,  but it also means that EA/Bioware must pay Dinsey for the rights to use the Star Wars name from now on and Dinsey can tell them what to do with the game including to close it down if they do not meet Dinsey's requirments for the game.

There will be years of courts before that happens... Again, Disney if focused on the Movies. The name. Please, tell me one MMO out there that Disney has made? None, zip, nada. Why would they start now? Quite frankly, MMOs are a bad investment in most cases. Very few (GW2, WoW, Rift) AAA MMOs have made it. That really is it. Look at all the MMO makers closing down or being bought off to make new games (and non MMO ones). Disney is too smart to get into such a High Risk business, much less fight for it.

Originally posted by Kert
    It means nothing for SWTOR. They bought Lucas Arts for the name and genre. Swtor is owned by Bioware(or whatever it is called now), through and through. They may invest more $ into it to keep up the name, or they may simply bring up their own MMO, which a doubt to the fullest. It was the name. Nothing at all else.

I Disagree. With a deal this big, there is usually some changes. I beleive the prior arrangement had EAware licensing the IP from Lucas. Which is now Disney. So....

Not that it's likely, but Disney could just pull the plug on the agreement. There may even be some type of clause in the purchase deal allowing Disney to re-evaluate current on-going contracts.

Again, it's unlikely to happen though, and I'm sure someone will eventually find out what their plans are for SW:TOR. 

I'd like to think this sale will make EA take notice, as I'm going to bet Disney's version of LucasArts might be a bit more hands on. Disney is a juggernaut now, with some ridiculously popular IP's under their belt. Running the MMO into the ground may not be looked on too favorably.

Hell with all the rumors of EA's troubles, maybe Disney will buy them too.

Look at what I said above. To lazy to type exact sma ething lol.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by alexanys1982
    Originally posted by Darksix
    This could be good or bad....as long as we never see Mickey Mouse with a light saber I suppose it would be hard to screw this up...Hopefully they will look into making a real Star Wars mmo similiar to Pre-cu SWG and dump that disney fart of a game TOR...only time will tell  :)

We will be seeing disney characters with lightsabers. Thats just the price we pay for these next 3 movies.

And so it begins...

You shall fear the Darth Donald!

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423
    It means SWToR was a major failure and Lucas needed cash(since he hasnt made any money for years) and sold LucasFilms to earn back his losses. In this instance, Films/Movies, if it does have ANY impact on the mmo industries, is 7-10 years away. It's a Story but not one that affects mmo's.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I don't know what to say about the impact this might have on SWTOR, but as for Disney buying LucasArts I'm happy.  I have had nothing but disgust for Lucas for many years now, but I don't have any reason to hate Disney. Nows their chance!  lol

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

Yes King,  but it also means that EA/Bioware must pay Dinsey for the rights to use the Star Wars name from now on and Dinsey can tell them what to do with the game including to close it down if they do not meet Dinsey's requirments for the game.

There will be years of courts before that happens... Again, Disney if focused on the Movies. The name. Please, tell me one MMO out there that Disney has made? None, zip, nada. Why would they start now? Quite frankly, MMOs are a bad investment in most cases. Very few (GW2, WoW, Rift) AAA MMOs have made it. That really is it. Look at all the MMO makers closing down or being bought off to make new games (and non MMO ones). Disney is too smart to get into such a High Risk business, much less fight for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgNeb9XRPMs

http://toontown.go.com/

Originally posted by kb056
    It means SWToR was a major failure and Lucas needed cash(since he hasnt made any money for years) and sold LucasFilms to earn back his losses. In this instance, Films/Movies, if it does have ANY impact on the mmo industries, is 7-10 years away. It's a Story but not one that affects mmo's.

Come on. Swtor had little to no influence on this. His company was empty LONG LONG LONG before this. The sad SWTOR cartoons prove this. The 3 fricken prequels showed this. The constant feed of crap upon crap shows this. This company failed long before Swtor, it was only kept up because of the hallow slaves they called fans.

Possible clarification, I see alot of people referring to the buyout of Lucas Arts not LucasFilms. Correct me if i'm wrong(I might be..a little too drunk atm to research), they are 2 different entities. Lucas Arts is the Gaming company and LucasFilms(obviously) is the Movie company.
    Originally posted by Laross

That game is hardly a triple AAA and is complete nonsense. There is a reason no one has heard news of it since it's release. Ty for proving my point lol.

Edit: And that is hardly an MMO. That is like Club Penguins only Disney characters. Same thing actually.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

That game is hardly a triple AAA and is complete nonsense. There is a reason no one has heard news of it since it's release. Ty for proving my point lol.

so its an indie mmo?  define AAA.  Actually nevermind this will only derail the thread. 

Come on. Swtor had little to no influence on this. His company was empty LONG LONG LONG before this. The sad SWTOR cartoons prove this. The 3 fricken prequels showed this. The constant feed of crap upon crap shows this. This company failed long before Swtor, it was only kept up because of the hallow slaves they called fans.

Harsher then I would have put it but I agree with you but SWToR was a final grab at immortality in terms of SW, gaming and money for Lucas.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    I am feeling pretty positive about this. I think the further total creative control of the i.p is taken away from big George the better. 

so its an indie mmo?  define AAA.  Actually nevermind this will only derail the thread. 

I classify it as an MMO that brings in New features and is a "large MMO". Swtor as a triple A becuase of the name, word, and budget.

Again, that game is hardly an MMO in the first place, it is simply a 3d Club Penguin.

Harsher then I would have put it but I agree with you but SWToR was a final grab at immortality in terms of SW, gaming and money for Lucas.

I pride myself in writing lol :P

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It means that that eventually ABC will have to promo everything in live broadcasts (leaving even less time for news).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Disney has just confirmed that it has agreed to acquire George LucasLucasfilm Ltd, and that includes rights to the Star Wars franchise that will now continue on. The companies have targeted a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode 7, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow as the the long-term plan is to release a new feature every two or three years. “The last Star Wars movie release was 2005’s Revenge Of The Sith – and we believe there’s substantial pent-up demand”, Disney said. The deal also includes rights to the Indiana Jones franchise.

So Indiana Jones is a part of the deal. Who will play Indy??????

well if they go by the last one LaBeouf will continue on the legacy as his son.. we will see

Kill me now.  He couldn't be less Harrison Ford like.

I see this move as a possible good thing for Star Wars as Lucas wasn't going to make another and he had clearly lost it based on the last three movies.  The bad is pretty obvious that they would try to appeal to very young children (as Lucas started with Return of the Jedi and everything that followed).

• KertKert Member UncommonPosts: 71

It's not about the MMO in particular. It's about the IP as a whole. Disney will want to put their stamp on it, and probably fairly quickly. The only thing really currently in the public eye, that is Star Wars is....? 

The Old Republic.

As I said in my post, too lazy, don't feel like re-typing it, I don't think it's likely that they will do anything with, or to, SW:TOR. 

But as I also said, I'd like to think EA is now on notice, that dicking around with the IP, probably isn't going to be as ok as it once was.

Personally I think it'd be funny if Disney bought EA too. Probably one of the few companies that could.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396

There's some idle fantasy and wish fulfillment speculation rolling around here.  While personally creatively lackluster for years, Lucas's Empire was rolling in dough.   He was Mr. Merchandiser, and owned all the rights to the IP.   He's sold everything to Disney now for enough money to buy a small nation.    Disney didn't do this because it was a liability.  They have also snagged Pixar and Marvell for example.  They like have the story elements and backlog of film properties.

Lucas could even self fund 10 Avatar level expense movies with just this payout.   Not small change....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Episode 7 is coming in 2015... I wonder what this movie will be about... any guesses?

Journal of the Whills

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Journal_of_the_Whills

Originally posted by Kert

It's not about the MMO in particular. It's about the IP as a whole. Disney will want to put their stamp on it, and probably fairly quickly. The only thing really currently in the public eye, that is Star Wars is....? 

The Old Republic.

As I said in my post, too lazy, don't feel like re-typing it, I don't think it's likely that they will do anything with, or to, SW:TOR. 

But as I also said, I'd like to think EA is now on notice, that dicking around with the IP, probably isn't going to be as ok as it once was.

Personally I think it'd be funny if Disney bought EA too. Probably one of the few companies that could.

Thats what I said... the name. Look, lol, they already have a release year for the SEVENTH movie. If they wanted to focus on SWTOR, they would've announced something ABOUT it wouldn't you think?

They will let EA keep it's games. Why wouldn't they. MMOs are a risky investment, as seen many times before, even by Dinsey. Bad business. The MMO community is rather small compared to those of... the I don't know... the MOVIES! Ea/Bioware and Swtor is just another money stream for them to appetize on as they continue laughing at the $$ brought in by the real money makers: the movies, including Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

LucasArts will just be a name to slap on here and their. Like what Disney is doing with Pixar. Like what happened to RoleX. Like what happened to multiple Car Companies when they were bought.

• jordiincraasjordiincraas Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by necoo
    Technically they only bought Lucasfilms, not Lucasarts. As far as I know, nothing will change with any of the Star Wars games, they are outside of Disney's influence.

they bought the whole thing...Lucasfilms LTD is the parent company..they also own Lucasarts, ILM, and skywalker sound. Read the very last line of the article.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by AdamTM
    Story is here:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/disney-acquires-lucasfilm-star-wars-creator/

What does this mean for SWTOR?

Prospects for SWG reboot?

For the love of Cthulhu, would you guys get over it? SWG is never coming back. Never.

Yeah, that's what they said about Classic Coke, Sherlock Holmes and Dallas.

They were idiots.

Originally posted by jordiincraas
    Originally posted by necoo
    Technically they only bought Lucasfilms, not Lucasarts. As far as I know, nothing will change with any of the Star Wars games, they are outside of Disney's influence.

they bought the whole thing...Lucasfilms LTD is the parent company..they also own Lucasarts, ILM, and skywalker sound. Read the very last line of the article.

Yeah, just visited the Lucas Arts page and saw at the bottom, "Registered Trademark of LucasFilms". Means LucasFilms owns Lucas Arts. Even ILM is now Disney's.

This could get interesting but not in a MMO arena, I think.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Episode 7 is coming in 2015... I wonder what this movie will be about... any guesses?

From what I've heard from past comments about the episodes 7-9 is it deal with Luke , Leia and Hans children . Luke setting up a new Jedi order and the continued battle against the empire after 20 years of war in the galaxy . My guess is something will happen in the new jedi order which will split it and some will fall to the dark side . I think you can be certain to see c3po and r2d2 will return and maybe some of the original actors . I think you can be pretty certain Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill will be interested given thier carears havnt been that great but I have my doubts Han Solo will show up . Kind of expect to see Yoda as a ghost and maybe Anakin . Hey wouldn't the emporers ghost possessing one of the new Jedi order be cool get the exorcists out lol . 

I dont think because the reigns have been handed ( sold ) to Disney is a bad thing after all they own Marvel and the impact on the Marvel characters has been negligable . If anything what will happen is a greater respect for the franchise than happened under Lucas in the prequals . No more Ja Ja Binx or even ewoks .

Beyond the sequal trilogy your likly to see many other Star Wars projects . The TV series Star Wars Underworld will most likly get made  . Possibly the Boba Fett movie as well . Lots more cartoons .  I would think also an old republic series of movies could be in the offering eventually . 

One things for certain from now on there will be a lot more Star Wars and there will be no 10 or 17 year breaks between films for many many years to come . 

You proberbly wont be able to go more than 2 or 3 years without a new Star Wars film and your most likly to see continuous Star Wars TV series both live action and cartoon on your screens . 

Some of its going to be amazing some of its going to suck but to be honest I'm looking forward to it . 

you can be sure to see new Indiana Jones movies as well with a new actor in the part . I would love to see  a trilogy done in the World War 2 years .

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    Disney will destroy the name. I put zero fatih in their Star wars movies.