Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL - Who continues to play and who stops?

1235»

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    Still enjoying GW2 In a small casual guild that understands it's ok not to hit 80 in 3 days. I'm sorry some did not enjoy the game. Hope you find what fits for you. Question is why do you keep coming here to rant?

Yeah I don't really get that either.

My feeling is that if you play the game for like 2 months, get to level 80, and then get tired of the game...then that was at least a decent run and was well worth the money.  Single player games...sometimes I will play them for a week and a half only, and if I enjoyed the experience, then I think it was money well spent.

I don't know why people's expectations are so much higher when it comes to MMORPGs.  It's like if the game didn't keep them entertained for years then it has "failed" them.

My viewpoint is...if I really enjoy a game, I will play it until I get  bored of it.  And if that is two months, then I'll stop after that.  BUT I will remember that I enjoyed that game, and then come back to it whenever a content update is made, or when I'm just in the mood to play it.

No one needs to be "game monogamous."  You can enjoy several MMORPGs...it's totally okay.  Just play the one you want when you feel like it :).

I'm just happy that GW2 is an MMORPG that I really enjoy.  Even though I won't play it consecutively for years...I know that I will probably be coming back year after year for another month or two to experience the new stuff they add.  And this is what I did with EVERY MMORPG I played.  Even sandboxes like UO.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Still enjoying GW2 In a small casual guild that understands it's ok not to hit 80 in 3 days. I'm sorry some did not enjoy the game. Hope you find what fits for you. Question is why do you keep coming here to rant?

My feeling is that if you play the game for like 2 months, get to level 80, and then get tired of the game...then that was at least a decent run and was well worth the money.  Single player games...sometimes I will play them for a week and a half only, and if I enjoyed the experience, then I think it was money well spent.

I don't know why people's expectations are so much higher when it comes to MMORPGs.  It's like if the game didn't keep them entertained for years then it has "failed" them.

My viewpoint is...if I really enjoy a game, I will play it until I get  bored of it.  And if that is two months, then I'll stop after that.  BUT I will remember that I enjoyed that game, and then come back to it whenever a content update is made, or when I'm just in the mood to play it.

No one needs to be "game monogamous."  You can enjoy several MMORPGs...it's totally okay.  Just play the one you want when you feel like it :).

I'm just happy that GW2 is an MMORPG that I really enjoy.  Even though I won't play it consecutively for years...I know that I will probably be coming back year after year for another month or two to experience the new stuff they add.  And this is what I did with EVERY MMORPG I played.  Even sandboxes like UO.

I definitely agree Creslin.

I think part of why people expect so much more out of MMOs, is because they want a completely different experience. Single player games have always been about single engagement experiences. You sit down, you have an experience, you move on.

When it comes to MMOs, a lot of people want a 'home'. The problem with that, is that many of these people think the game is 100% responsible for this. However, even in the first MMOs, games only had longevity because the players reinforced it. During the early days of MMOs, most players only have 1 or 2 options for MMOs to play. As such, they had to make the most of it. Players took upon themselves to find new and creative ways to have fun (even in themeparks). This lead to communities, and generally good memories a lot of us have over our favorite games. People have largely stopped doing this. They expect the game to hand them everything. Even in GW2, you see a huge divide between the players that know how to have fun, and the ones who expect the game to give them all the answers. You have some people complaining about how pointless WvW is, and then you have others who are having fun doing stupid crap like making siege golem armies, or forests of broken siege equipment.

You can't expect these games to have years worth of longevity if you don't support their growth. Even WoW is a much larger game now than it launched with, and it took them nearly a decade to get to that point. It wouldn't have lasted nearly as long if people didn't find ways to have their own fun while Blizzard was busy fixing bugs, making changes, and working on new content. And the game had pleanty of problems when it launched.

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

How is this poll even made during the 1-month marker of the game.  And, to speak of that, this one-month milestone is also where we have Halloween 2012, a HUGE amount of content brought forth in a holiday event.

And, it was just yesterday that the developers mentioned that there's another really HUGE PATCH scheduled on NOV. 15th, with some sort of events leading up to it. 

But seriously, there doesn't need to be an endless carrot in which donkeys (or jackass) needs to chase to make themselves feel better.  This game already has that in super Korean style grind:  LEGENDARY WEAPONS!  yes, those things are the carrot in which people chase.  They take a crap ton of time to make and it's still an awe inspiring thing to see someone on the server with one of those things. 

Those who are "bored" with the game have no depth of the games they play.  They are just people that will never find satisfaction with anything else other than those droll games they've already played (i.e. WoW).    Do they like or attempt jumping puzzles? Most likely not.  How about world exploration? That's a no.  Lore and story discovery? Nope again.  Fun mini-games that are just for fun and nothing else? Ya right..fun isn't in their dictionary.  Some might sPvP and WvW, to an extent.  The one thing they obsess with is dungeon crawling for "phat powerful lewtz" that gives them the bigest ePeen. 

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Those who are "bored" with the game have no depth of the games they play.  They are just people that will never find satisfaction with anything else other than those droll games they've already played (i.e. WoW).    Do they like or attempt jumping puzzles? Most likely not.  How about world exploration? That's a no.  Lore and story discovery? Nope again.  Fun mini-games that are just for fun and nothing else? Ya right..fun isn't in their dictionary.  Some might sPvP and WvW, to an extent.  The one thing they obsess with is dungeon crawling for "phat powerful lewtz" that gives them the bigest ePeen. 

Assume much?

I love exploration, puzzles, lore, story, etc...

But...I also love a GOOD crafting system, not seeing bots everywhere, not zoning eveywhere, a GOOD story, an actual ranger/hunter class that isn't pet dependant, etc...

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    Originally posted by Siphaed

Assume much?

But...I also love a GOOD crafting system, not seeing bots everywhere, not zoning eveywhere, a GOOD story, an actual ranger/hunter class that isn't pet dependant, etc...

Roll a ranged thief.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I'm not logging on very much any more. It lost it's appeal after I hit 80 and explored to my hearts content. Now i'm more invested in playing Bad Company 2.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by denshing
    I'm not logging on very much any more. It lost it's appeal after I hit 80 and explored to my hearts content. Now i'm more invested in playing Bad Company 2.

This is what a gamer should be, play till maxed and move on to experience another game.

Its 2012, you don't need to give your life away to an MMO anymore.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Assume much?

Roll a ranged thief.

Would be great, if thieves could use longbows.. shortbow doesn't feel very ranger-like, to me.  Especially given the skillset thieves get with it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• leroysgleroysg Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by Creslin321

exactly in the same spot as you, have not been logging in for past 1 month. (i am 80 with half exotic gear only)

• cooleechang1cooleechang1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I never played the first guild wars so that may be the reason why I don't seem to enjoy the game in the long run.  When I started this game it was fun how the dynamic events works.  The skills of the weapons and cast animation are nice too.  Once I hit level 14 or so I started to get bored of dynamic events.  I have to farm the same old dynamic events(I look at dynamic events as repeat quest compare to other MMO).  I stopped logging in for a few days and it went to weeks.  I may be bias because I tend to like grinding mobs to level.  My background of MMO consist of a grinding base game.  I did'nt like the fact that I couldn't even killed mobs to level in GW2 or it wasn't even a choice.  Dynamic events give way too much exp and happens too often.  If you were to gain the same amount of exp as the time you spent on these events, I don't think I would leave.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Assume much?

Roll a ranged thief.

Would be great, if thieves could use longbows.. shortbow doesn't feel very ranger-like, to me.  Especially given the skillset thieves get with it.

This /

I did try ranged thief and warrior and did not like either of them.

• TimzillaTimzilla Member UncommonPosts: 437

I found GW2 to be a mindless one or two button mashing zerg from character creation to end game. Got bored within a couple weeks. It's only still installed because it's paid for, but I haven't logged in weeks.