Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Huge success

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The game is currently quite succesfull, makes me wonder how many will join as they realise that the game is quite fun and casuall in nature. 

If the true nature of the game becomes obvious, and the negatives proclaimed by the powergamers get treated with a game of salt, the game could actually become quite succesfull in the christmass shoppingperiode ahead of us.

After all cassuals are never the early addapters, but they are a huge majorrity of the gaming crowd

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

q3 financial reports will probably be announced next week for both ncsoft and blizzard

- both companies should have positive news

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I like GW2, but it needs something more than legendaries to work towards.. I would actually not mind a small gear threadmill in this game. Exotic gear is way too easy to obtain. 

In GW2 I actually enjoy the way to 80 more than being 80. Theres nothing worth doing at level towards character progression except legendary weapons.

I got the armor skins I want and when there is nothing else than a redicilous RNG/farm for a legendary I just cant be bothered going for it. 

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Nadia

q3 financial reports will probably be announced next week for both ncsoft and blizzard

Will that just reflect total sales, or will it show whether or not they've been continuing to sell?  

I think for any real growth to be possible, the game has to do well enough that it keeps selling.. seems almost unheard of in this genre, but it has definately been the case, with the few that didn't suffer drastic declines almost immediately, from which they never recovered.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by andre369

I like GW2, but it needs something more than legendaries to work towards.. I would actually not mind a small gear threadmill in this game. Exotic gear is way too easy to obtain. 

In GW2 I actually enjoy the way to 80 more than being 80. Theres nothing worth doing at level towards character progression except legendary weapons.

I got the armor skins I want and when there is nothing else than a redicilous RNG/farm for a legendary I just cant be bothered going for it. 

PVP is always my endgame in any themepark as I hate raiding and gear treadmils as I  find them pointless.. while it does need more options I do find WvW and sPVP a lot more enjoyable than the offerings of the other themeparks.. also the journey to 80 has been a lot more enjoyable as well for me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The  game does not need a geargrind..

It needs an AA system comparable to DAoCs REalmpoint system, but then rewarding both pve and wvwvw..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The  game does not need a geargrind..

It needs an AA system comparable to DAoCs REalmpoint system, but then rewarding both pve and wvwvw..

cant really go wrong with that. It worked quite well in daoc.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The game is currently quite succesfull, makes me wonder how many will join as they realise that the game is quite fun and casuall in nature. 

If the true nature of the game becomes obvious, and the negatives proclaimed by the powergamers get treated with a game of salt, the game could actually become quite succesfull in the christmass shoppingperiode ahead of us.

After all cassuals are never the early addapters, but they are a huge majorrity of the gaming crowd

Where did you get this notion? they announced 2.2 million sales after about 2 weeks since then nothing, not a peep, its had its day in the limelight those first few weeks were as good as it gets I'm afraid.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I'm obliged to ask, by what standard are we measuring success? Launch numbers? Great reviews? Concurrent players? Cash shop sales?

If you're just going by your overall bubbly feelings toward the game, then sure. But most other games are judged success or failture based on a combination of the above measurements. Right now I think we only have info about launch sales and not much else (unless I missed something, in which case links would be helpful).

I don't think the game is a failure by any stretch, and it's no doubt a profitable venture by NCSoft, but it seems premature to claim 'Huge' success.

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Hmmm, huge success?

Didn't they want to dethrone WoW?

As one has already said, sind launch it has been relatively quite in terms of anounced sales numbers. However, the game is fun and the servers are full. So I do not really care.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60

Gear grinds are the last thing needed in any game having PVP content, if anything ALL equipment from lvl 1 to OMFGWTFBBQ best should have ALL of its stats adjusted to 1(one) in any battle againt a playable character.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I like the game. It is fun. I will play it. Trolls will troll it. Fanboys will fanboy it.

It's the circle of Life!

• LuciferIAmLuciferIAm Member UncommonPosts: 93
    i love this game as well, and while it has some irritating aspects at this time, as with GW1 (I couldn't stand prophecies backw hen it first came out) I believe much of the game will be smoothed out to become just an awesome experience after an expansion or two (not that its not already an awesome experience, I more mean one that will draw more players in, as did Gw1's expansions, and many returning). Because this game has a '2' people are holding it up to different standards, even though really the game is Vanilla. It is drastically different than Gw1 where really the only thing truly in common is the lore. Pretty much all vanilla games need some time to smooth the edges.
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I´m having a great time playing GW2!

Halloween event have been awesome so far with new areas...pvp modes...dungeons and funny events like costume fights!

Servers are packed with people & everyone seems to be enjoying it big time! There is always people talking on chats (socializing OMG!!!!),fighting in cities or just roleplaying in costumes! Like all good Halloween events must be! ;D

Can´t wait to see what that big update in November brings....and then Christmas events :D

and still only 38%map completion after more than 275h gameplay time !  :O

More fun ahead!

imageimageimage

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Hmmm, huge success?

As one has already said, sind launch it has been relatively quite in terms of anounced sales numbers. However, the game is fun and the servers are full. So I do not really care.

YES...

Nope...

point is...

The green...

Cool beans...

You guys be easy and take care, peace.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is one possibility, another one is to have skills that are hard to get.

But you are right, there should be something between easily crafted exotics and very hard to get legendaries, or we should get legendary armor like Obsidian armor (GW1) as well.

For me right now, I am leveling up an alt and trying to get money for the cultural armor for my main as well, but a few more carrots wouldnt hurt. The Halloween event was way better than expected though (cept part 1), it had plenty of content.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Loke666

That is one possibility, another one is to have skills that are hard to get.

But you are right, there should be something between easily crafted exotics and very hard to get legendaries, or we should get legendary armor like Obsidian armor (GW1) as well.

For me right now, I am leveling up an alt and trying to get money for the cultural armor for my main as well, but a few more carrots wouldnt hurt. The Halloween event was way better than expected though (cept part 1), it had plenty of content.

True

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I agree that once you hit 80 there isn't all that much to really keep you going. You can grind karma for the karma gear, or grind gold for the cultural gear or to buy gems for cosmetic stuff or get some additional slots, or grind dungeons for this or that gear, but the question really is why. Why do all that? Just to be better in WvW?

Why sPvP, other than because it's mindless fun?

Why level an alt when you need to do World Completion on a single character and that kind of takes away quite a bit of the fun of creating an alt? All you have to look forward to after 100% WC is different personal stories since you already grinded out all the hearts and skill challenges, saw all the vistas and points of interest. I think that's a bad call. There is room for improvement in the longevity department.

They're working on the sPvP, but a few simple changes could have made this game more enjoyable for a longer period of time. They should be putting even more thought into this.

imageimage
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I agree that once you hit 80 there isn't all that much to really keep you going. You can grind karma for the karma gear, or grind gold for the cultural gear or to buy gems for cosmetic stuff or get some additional slots, or grind dungeons for this or that gear, but the question really is why. Why do all that? Just to be better in WvW?

Why sPvP, other than because it's mindless fun?

Why level an alt when you need to do World Completion on a single character and that kind of takes away quite a bit of the fun of creating an alt? All you have to look forward to after 100% WC is different personal stories since you already grinded out all the hearts and skill challenges, saw all the vistas and points of interest. I think that's a bad call. There is room for improvement in the longevity department.

They're working on the sPvP, but a few simple changes could have made this game more enjoyable for a longer period of time. They should be putting even more thought into this.

Never discount fun.

I did so many things in Asherons Call, WoW or DAoC because they were fun.  If you need shiny pixels or progression to keep you entertained then me thinks MMO's is the wrong gaming format for people to do.  Players would be more inclined to play single player games for instant gratification.

I miss the days of old school MMO's where people did things for others, or did things because their guild did it, or did things cause of the community and social aspect of it.  I guess WoW really did change the landscape of MMO, and not for the better I might add!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

GW2 needs more endgame content and fast. Otherwise it will be facing mass exodus just like all big themepark MMOs recently. Luckily for them, there are no big name MMORPGs coming out in the near future and no, DF:UW is not big name.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Hmmm, huge success?

I know right, the CEO trying be funny telling Forbes they want to beat the best in their industries, lol.

Sigh, the Ceo assume that GW2 will sell more than 7 million like GW1 did.

Yea how could the server be full all the time with only 51 server that cater to 2 million ++ players.

I hope someone with a brain could figure whether Anet is playing with server populations.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Will that just reflect total sales, or will it show whether or not they've been continuing to sell?  

I think for any real growth to be possible, the game has to do well enough that it keeps selling.. seems almost unheard of in this genre, but it has definately been the case, with the few that didn't suffer drastic declines almost immediately, from which they never recovered.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

GW2 is #9 and #13. Most of the games on top of it are discounted. So yes, it's still selling very well.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Same as GW1, the box will continue to sell.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    Originally posted by Vhaln

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

GW2 is #9 and #13. Most of the games on top of it are discounted. So yes, it's still selling very well.

I see them at 8 and 11 and the box is discounted as well $42 instead of $59.99 (30% off).

imageimage
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by xmenty

Hmmm, huge success?

I know right, the CEO trying be funny telling Forbes they want to beat the best in their industries, lol.

Sigh, the Ceo assume that GW2 will sell more than 7 million like GW1 did.

Yea how could the server be full all the time with only 51 server that cater to 2 million ++ players.

I hope someone with a brain could figure whether Anet is playing with server populations.

Did Mike say 7 million come launch time? I believe he's saying GW2 will likely surpass GW1 in lifetime sales. As for trying to topple the number 1 (WoW), we'll see in the future. GW2 isn't out in China yet. Also, it's not like WoW reached 12 million subs in a month or two, so we should give GW2 more time before proclaiming failure.

@JoeyMMO:

#8 - $42

#11 - $59.99 - also the most expensive on the top 20 bracket.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

GW2 is already over 3 million sales in EU and NA, making it bigger than Mists of Pandaria. This is not bad at all, but it is not surprising given that it is free to play so people just buy the box and get a ton of value for their one-time purchase.

When it releases in Asia, THEN we'll see some crazy numbers.

Think League of Legends type numbers (League has around 90 million players, most of them in Asia).