Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone speak to the extent UW will be a "sandbox"?

1235»

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Falesh

Darkfall is not only PvP, it also has exploration, PvE, crafting, trade and so on.

..like most themeparks do.

"You can only pvp so it's a themepark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Er you can do other things like pve.

"You can pve, just like themeparks!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You couldn't make this shit up.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

Darkfall is not only PvP, it also has exploration, PvE, crafting, trade and so on.

So what is your point exactly? Youve failed to list any specifics...imageimage

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Consensus
    I'm pretty sure they've changed their mind since the original design to be completely FFA with a bit of noob protection. Darkfall will never be about red/pk vs blue/anti, or even race vs race it will remain practically lawless, mark my words. 

Quoting myself because I was right.

14) Will there be an alignment system in the new version and if so, will be the same as it is in the older version?

Darkfall Unholy Wars has a different alignment system. In reality we are keeping the whole turning red situation when you kill other players in place but turning red does no longer mean you get attacked by NPC guard towers. It is just there to indicate to other players you might not be someone they can trust. What they do with the information is up to them. However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled. Even players belonging to enemy clans will be unable to damage each other in those areas. The vast majority of the world of course remains as it was. As a side note, while NPC guard towers are now completely off as they serve no purpose, Player holding towers will continue to faction as before.

My blog: image

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Darkfall is the sandiest of the boxes. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled.

So you can be completly safe in some places and kill everyone you want in other.

How is that not sandbox....

I just wish they gave us a sandcastle_building skill that we could use at the beaches in Darkfall. That would shut the trolls permanently.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

You know, for me recognizing the difference between a theme park (yup, that's two words) and a sandbox mmo isn't such a difficult task. I am aware that most of the bullshit in this thread is most likely trolling, but come guys, lay off the dummy pills. There's some borderline overdosing going on here.

One would hope that such simple sub-genre characteristics would be easy to pick up on. Why do we need to forever challenge such basic concepts? We're not doing ourselves or anyone else any favours. Both types of mmos can induce some of the most incredible gaming experiences when done well. We seem to have devolved to the level of insulting a title by labelling it as theme park. How pathetic.

Theme park:

Sandbox:

It's really not too tough to figure this stuff out. Considering what website's forums we are on, we really shouldn't even be having such silly discussions. It's a bit embarrassing. The next station is called fucking hopeless, and we're almost there.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled.

So you can be completly safe in some places and kill everyone you want in other.

How is that not sandbox....

I just wish they gave us a sandcastle_building skill that we could use at the beaches in Darkfall. That would shut the trolls permanently.

Nor do I see how this has anything to do with being a sandbox mechanic or not. I recall that even cities in WoW are relatively safe but can be attacked by players of enemy faction. Isn't that giving even more freedom than the new system DarkFall UW will offer? Wouldn't that be more "sandbox" according to you?

Don't get me wrong, a safe area is a great idea,  EVE has one as well (although not 100% safe), but that has nothing to do with a mechanic being sandbox or not...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Don't get me wrong, a safe area is a great idea,  EVE has one as well (although not 100% safe), but that has nothing to do with a mechanic being sandbox or not...

Indirectly it does.

It is the opposite, less restricted FFA = less freedom, not more.

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

Indirectly it does.

Freedom for whom?

The new players get the freedom to kill goblins and learn the mechanic of the game, the crafters get the freedom to make their goods, the traders get the freedom to sell their wares, enemies get the freedom to have safe diplomatic talks and I get the freedom to go to the toilet without getting killed.

The griefers get the freedom to attack new players when they venture out of the safezone and griefers get the freedom to run into the safezone if they meet a veteran player. Who are accually losing with this system?

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Indirectly it does.

You have the freedom to try and do whatever you want, regardless as to whether or not that involves pvp or not. What you do not have is 100% certainty that you will be able avoid an unexpected encounter. 100% success rate does not = game freedom. The opportunity to try something without artificial restraint = game freedom.

Less restricted FFA clearly offers more freedom, but it dramatically increases both risk and chance of failure.

More restricted FFA clearly reduces freedom in order to increase safety for one subset of players whilst completely removing the ability of another subset of players to do what they fancy trying to do.

On the one hand you have open systems catering for numerous players trying to do the task they want to do, non of whom are 100% certain they will avoid a player encounter during that task.

On the other hand you have restricted systems which completely prevent one section of players even trying to do something they might seek to do, just so the other subset of players has a 100% chance success rate of doing what they want to do.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."