Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Structured PvP vs Unstructured PvP?

All of my fondest MMO memories come from unstructured PvP. I feel like roaming the world and stumbling across fights is far more entertaining than queueing up for structured PvP such as arenas or battlegrounds that most games seem to have implemented now.

Comments

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    i would of voted for "openworld pvp with very strong consequences outside of wartime or lawless areas" if it had been available.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    I'm a structured PvP player. Enjoy the competition aspect of it and value tight systems and balance. Never have been fond of systems that allow/promote ganking. Owpvp usually favors the hardcore, the people doing the ganking are usually the ones that enjoy it.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

and what about pvp with consequence and purpose? like territorial warfare?

structured vs unstructured just dont cut it.. really.

It is quite obvious what structured pvp is, some kind of instanced battleground pvp, be it cature the flag, domination or the like, with fix number of players and fix number of level.

But unstructured? There is a whole lot of it.

• Pking - Kill other player during quests
    • GvG - Guild Wars in the open world, about territory or whatever
    • FvF(or RvR) - you get it the same as GvG just another scope Faction vs Faction
    • all those with or without consquences -> player loot, criminal/pk flag or the like, and so on
    • with or without purpose -> territorial war bound to resources, castles/towns/keeps or whatever
    • in FFA scenario, in seperated zones(DAoC, GW2), with pvp flag on/off
    and i could go on with it.. unstructured pvp could be everything.

But for your poll. I go for unstructured pvp if done well. For structured pvp i prefer RTS or FPS games.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the added danger and suspense of an open pvp encounter gets my blood pumping, structured pvp such as battle grounds does not.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like rvr and gvg
    Can't stand minigame instanced bollox.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Quiet! Can you hear that? The purists are coming to tell you structured PvP has no place in "true MMOs".

Structured PvP is my choice.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

Originally posted by Quirhid

Quiet! Can you hear that? The purists are coming to tell you structured PvP has no place in "true MMOs".

Structured PvP is my choice.

Yes, I sometimes feel like an outcast on this site. Its mainly sandbox players even though structured pvp is very popular.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like "structured pvp" when its not in mmos.

Cs, Tf2, dota, sf4 etc..

It just seems pointless in a mmo though.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Cs, Tf2, dota, sf4 etc..

It's just as "pointless" in other genres. The thing is most mmo players need a reason to play a game besides playing the game.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Cs, Tf2, dota, sf4 etc..

It's just as "pointless" in other genres. The thing is most mmo players need a reason to play a game besides playing the game.

Pretty much this ^.

Honestly, I prefer having both options. I enjoy the chaos that unstructured PvP can bring, but I also like having more balanced PvP like what structured tends to provide.

While chaotic battles can be fun, the fights tend to get kinda stale unless you have a balanced option of the side for players to improve their fighting skill.