Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50% of servers are "full", 30% are "high"

Comments

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    Originally posted by maddhatter44

Low server capacity + halloween event = full servers.

but hey good for them.

I love those assumptions. Do you know what kind of capasity their servers have? This is a very definition of a small trolling.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by fivoroth

Originally posted by Ramanadjinn looks like those who said it would be dead at 2 months were wrong.   anyone wanna go for six months now? place your bets!
    People on these forums are very bad at predicting what is going to be successful. I remember people talking so much about how D3 would be dead in a month or two but it is still pretty much one of the most popular PC games and TL2 (which I bought)  is pretty much dead now :D

Lol, those who said that it would be dead in 2 months time are naive. It doesn't have a sub... If it had a sub, we would be seeing a very different story. But I definitely support ArenaNet and would prefer if most MMOs would go for B2P and pumping out tons of xpacs and DLCs. I don't mind lots of DLCs. At least I know what I am paying for whereas I am not so sure where sub fees are invested.

A B2P MMO has to be really bad to die out in 2 months.

You know what people on these forums are really good at? Claiming victory by hindsight. :-)

And predicting with "100% CERTAINTY" victory by foresight ;)

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,360

I trust no forum anymore. Far too easy for companies to have someone make posts. In addition, most posts are little more than people's opinions. Everyone thinks that there way is the one true path of gaming glory, and fun.

As of now I like to try things out for myself first, and see if I like it. Personally, I love GW2, and I'm still playing SWTOR too. Having a blast in both, and only having to pay for one for now. Once SWTOR hits free to play I'll be set.

I don't understand those that like to boast community numbers. If the game you play has millions in it how does that effect your experience? You don't group with millions.

There's an idea.... an mmorpg where the whole server farm is in one giant raid all the time.... that raid chat would be something.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I am still playing the game but more sporadically than I have ever played any MMO ever. 

I played for 12 hours over 2 days a couple of weeks ago, last week I played 2 hours, this weekend I played half an hour. Tonight I plan to play for 3 hours or so with a friend.

I keep making new characters, I can't decide anything, but I don't feel rushed and I don't feel the need to catch up with anyone either, I am just playing the game when I feel like it and generally messing around.

Probably not the type of customer Anet wanted since I won't buy anything in the shop thing but I can tell I will be playing in some manner for a long time to come, bored with some other game? play GW2 for a bit, nothing on TV and no money? play GW2 for a bit. It fills a void pretty nicely.

My guild is still active with people playing every day for 4 + hours so I would imagine that the population on our server is pretty similar to many others, everything seems fine and dandy.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

Doesn't server population is based on total accounts on that server, rather than total accounts logged in? aka homeworlds.

answer is yes,  servers current capacity is changed with overflow

• thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49

Doesn't server population is based on total accounts on that server, rather than total accounts logged in? aka homeworlds.

This is what I thought.  It doesn't seem right that servers show just as full as they were on launch.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by thetimes

This is what I thought.  It doesn't seem right that servers show just as full as they were on launch.

Well remember, game is free per month, and main halloween event is today.. so people might log in to check out.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

You are right it doesn't make sense at all.

GW2 sold 2 million box +++ and the 24 NA and  27 EU server should be full.

There can't be 2 mil players in 51 servers?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

I wouldn't be surprised if GW2 has sold well over 3 million boxes by now.

But not all 3 million + are playing at the same time, usually it's like 600k max playing at the same hours - or else you get login server crashes and stuff

erm... like the ones we had last night

oh

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

but hey good for them.

Seems Legit

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by maddhatter44 Doesn't server population is based on total accounts on that server, rather than total accounts logged in? aka homeworlds. answer is yes,  servers current capacity is changed with overflow

One thing you're not taking into consideration is that players can migrate servers, once per day. My friend's guild just moved from the "top" pvp server to the "last" pvp server, en mass.

It doesn't make sense that all the servers would be just as busy as they were when the game launched, but it does make sense that some of the servers would be "full", even now.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

As someone who has transfered to a new server, I can answer that with a no. Server capacity on my server is almost always full except for like one or two hours during midday and like one or two ours at night. It took about  a week for my entire guild to transfer over.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

If Anet had no overflow system, the initial server number had no hope in hell of fitting everyone, especially when everyone was crammed into the sames 6 towns and 5 zones.

Even as players spread the initial amount of servers weren't enough and Anet had to add 6 servers to EU and 3 servers to US in the first few days (followed my 3 more US servers).

Still overflow was constant.

With no overflow servers Anet would have needed a ton more named servers.

So there is 30% more servers, plus higher server capacity and more zones available, while less hours are being played.

Server status will be average concurrent users, which is noticeable from the increase in load due to the halloween.

Now, how many concurrent users, no idea - Anet stated expecting a peak 350K concurrent users 1 month after launch but they reached 400K during the headstart.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Something you guys might not know, ANet have the ability to just right click the server status and change it from Empty/Low to High/full. So yea currently the game is so dead that they had to manually change it to High and full to make it look like its booming O_O.

Welp when I get home I can hear the sound of crickets and music of Jeremy thats all I need. =)

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

i really dont care. GW2 wasnt the game i looked for. To be honest, mmorpgs are dead for me. To much meaningless time consuming. And yes, its really MEANINGLESS, all things you do- have only bad impacts in your real life.

Originally posted by makii

i really dont care. GW2 wasnt the game i looked for. To be honest, mmorpgs are dead for me. To much meaningless time consuming. And yes, its really MEANINGLESS, all things you do- have only bad impacts in your real life.

Woah there bold statement, maybe something happened to you or some one you knew, but "all things you do ARE NOT going to always have bad impact on your real life"

O_O

Carl Sagan-

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by makii

Right up there w/ posting on forums for things you have no interest in.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

I would think people are still buying the game and coming into it.  

I got it a week ago.  My best friend got it the same day so we could play together and we've been having a blast.  Although the 5 a.m. in the morning gaming marathons are somewhat wearing me out at times.   We were talking about the possible huge influx of players around Christmas last night, which we think may happen. 

I know there are a lot of enthusiastic mmo players here.  However not everyone buys an mmo at launch.  The majority of WoW's player base did not buy it at launch for instance.  Some people are still going out and buying that game today.   I wouldn't be surprised if Anet at some point feels the need to add additional servers.  I have a feeling that they will be very conservative about doing so, but at some point it might become a necessity.   I wouldn't be surprised at all, especially around or just after the holiday season. 

Originally posted by Corehaven

I would think people are still buying the game and coming into it.  

I got it a week ago.  My best friend got it the same day so we could play together and we've been having a blast.  Although the 5 a.m. in the morning gaming marathons are somewhat wearing me out at times.   We were talking about the possible huge influx of players around Christmas last night, which we think may happen. 

I know there are a lot of enthusiastic mmo players here.  However not everyone buys an mmo at launch.  The majority of WoW's player base did not buy it at launch for instance.  Some people are still going out and buying that game today.   I wouldn't be surprised if Anet at some point feels the need to add additional servers.  I have a feeling that they will be very conservative about doing so, but at some point it might become a necessity.   I wouldn't be surprised at all, especially around or just after the holiday season. 

I have 3 friends that will buy the game during chistmas and the reasons are they are console players and will have some money to upgrade the very old computers they have, so you coupld possibly see a good influx, who knows how many people out there in the same situation as my buddies.

Carl Sagan-

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by lizardbones

I look at a lot of things when I'm trying to decide if an MMO is 'good' or not. The most important one is how the people I game with are playing the game. How much time are they putting into the game? How interested are they when they talk about the game? Are they even talking about the game still?

The response to GW2 has been different from the response to Rift, SWToR and D3. They are interested in the game, and they continue to discuss the game around the office on a regular basis. They started with more than 12 hours a day game time, but have slacked off to about 4 hours a day, nearly every day. The game has been at the 4 hours a day, every day state for a few weeks.

So...what does that mean? To me, it means that GW2 is a good game.

Probably means more along the lines of ; There's nothing but crap on TV anyway and GW2 is B2P so the bar drops substantialy right there for many people. I can tell you if I was paying 15 bucks a month I'd almost certainly cancell.

Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    It actually looks like the game is growing and will need extra servers again soon.

Umm why would they need new servers when they still have medium servers to merge? this situation will only arise if every single server is full in coming days which is highly unlikely. Let us not get ahead of ourselves ok? ;)

Mostly because even at medium population the game in WvW turns into a lag fest that finds you in the middle of a 40 man zerg you had NO IDEA was there. And no its not just me its supposedly a "known rendering bug" LOL?

but hey good for them.

This is right on point. I mean really where do WvW ques come from? Its basically saying "All our piece of crap servers can handle is 240 people in a WvW arena". I have no idea of the actual number and I don't think Anet publicizes that info but 240 is probably close to whats allowed in a WvW instance. The geography of the map would certainly support more so why the ques?

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by drDamage
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    It actually looks like the game is growing and will need extra servers again soon.

Umm why would they need new servers when they still have medium servers to merge? this situation will only arise if every single server is full in coming days which is highly unlikely. Let us not get ahead of ourselves ok? ;)

Mostly because even at medium population the game in WvW turns into a lag fest that finds you in the middle of a 40 man zerg you had NO IDEA was there. And no its not just me its supposedly a "known rendering bug" LOL?

Wvwvw would be wonderful with more servers lol

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Or the servers have a lot lower capacity.

I saw big foot in fort Aspendwood server too.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by drDamage

but hey good for them.

This is right on point. I mean really where do WvW ques come from? Its basically saying "All our piece of crap servers can handle is 240 people in a WvW arena". I have no idea of the actual number and I don't think Anet publicizes that info but 240 is probably close to whats allowed in a WvW instance. The geography of the map would certainly support more so why the ques?

I'm starting to think this is the main issue.  They don't have the technology to fill their sizeable gameworld.  I don't know if they lack funds for better servers, or the code is poorly optimized or what.. but full servers should do a much better job of filling the game with players.

They also need a much better LOD system, so that they can ditch culling entirely.  The player pop-in is pretty lame in PvE, but utterly gamebreaking in PvP.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.